It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accepting Round 1 vs Waiting on Round 2

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Location: Canada
Schools: HBS '20, Kellogg '20
GPA: 3.5
Accepting Round 1 vs Waiting on Round 2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 12:29
Just wondering how do people manage the issue of getting into their back-up school in round 1 but haven't applied to their dream school until in round 2?

Eg. I applied to Tepper in round 1 and things are looking good but I missed the early HBS deadline. Would I be able to ask them to defer the deposit payment until I find out the results from HBS in round 2? or is there any other way that people manage this? thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 230

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Accepting Round 1 vs Waiting on Round 2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 19:00
arcticTO wrote:
Just wondering how do people manage the issue of getting into their back-up school in round 1 but haven't applied to their dream school until in round 2?

Eg. I applied to Tepper in round 1 and things are looking good but I missed the early HBS deadline. Would I be able to ask them to defer the deposit payment until I find out the results from HBS in round 2? or is there any other way that people manage this? thanks


Sorry to say but seems like you made a mistake in planning this out. For the most part the general strategy is if you're going to do two rounds apply to dream schools round 1 for exactly this reason. I'm not sure how risky it is to ask a school that said yes to hold-on before you accept because they'll likely know you're waiting to hear back from a school you'd rather go to.

Hopefully someone who has a similar experience to you can chime in. But I'd chart out the exact timeline: last day to submit deposit/accept Tepper compared to last day you can reasonably assume you aren't getting into HBS (say like an interview deadline has passed).

If it's a big discrepancy you may be in trouble and that's where things like asking for an extension to pay the deposit/accept comes in.
_________________

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 78

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15572

Kudos [?]: 28479 [0], given: 5106

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Accepting Round 1 vs Waiting on Round 2 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 00:13
The question comes up every year but usually later, when people get admitted. You are actually planning ahead despite some strategy correction.

Part of the application strategy that has been changing and evolvoing is figuring out how to space out schools across R1 and R2. It used to be that the advice was - apply in either R1 or R2 with the best profile and application you can. Lately R2 has been tough for international applicants, so the advice for them is to apply in R1 everywhere (safety and dream).

US Applicants have an easier and better situation (my guess you are closer to US than international being from Canada), applying to a school in R2 does not mean it is NOT your dream school necessarily, esp in this case a Top 5 school. If you have a strong profile and don't depend on getting a scholarship, you have a shot.

As to your question, yes, you gauge it by interview invites and worst case scenario (meaning you actually seem to have a shot at HBS), you pay a deposit. It is not bad for the US Schools, unlike INSEAD and IE that charge upwards $10-15K.... while not ideal, this option presents the most flexibility and pickability. You can hold a spot at Tepper while R2 plays out.... cost of doing business.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28479 [0], given: 5106

Accepting Round 1 vs Waiting on Round 2   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2017, 00:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Accepting Round 1 vs Waiting on Round 2

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.