It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 06:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:02) correct 31% (00:47) wrong based on 133 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France earns less annual income than the poverty line, while in Germany it is just 8 percent.

A) while in Germany it is just 8 percent

B) compared to Germany, where just 8 percent does

C) whereas just 8 percent of the population in Germany does

D) whereas just over 8 percent of the incomes less than the line is in Germany

E) compared with the incomes less than the poverty line in Germany, where it is just 8 percent
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 11:22
I'll try:

According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France earns less annual income than the poverty line, while in Germany it is just 8 percent.

We should compare population in France with population in Germany. A, D and E are easily eliminated in this respect. We're left with:

We see that C makes comparison parallel and hence it is the correct answer.

However, can someone help me with this as I think it interferes with my understanding of parallelism:
The reason I was also considering B, even though it uses 'compared to Germany', is that i also saw the possibility that it was using ellipsis:
11 percent of the population in France earns less annual income than the poverty line, compared to Germany, where just 8 percent of the population earns less annual income than the poverty line. (i replaced 'do so)
Can B be understood like this at all?
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 19:15
kivalo wrote:
However, can someone help me with this as I think it interferes with my understanding of parallelism:
The reason I was also considering B, even though it uses 'compared to Germany', is that i also saw the possibility that it was using ellipsis:
11 percent of the population in France earns less annual income than the poverty line, compared to Germany, where just 8 percent of the population earns less annual income than the poverty line. (i replaced 'do so)

There is a clear comparison error in B as it compares the earnings with Germany. The clause 'where just 8 percent does' is providing more info about the place 'Germany' and is not actually helping us compare the earnings of A with earnings of B.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Re: According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 01:18
Vyshak wrote:
kivalo wrote:

There is a clear comparison error in B as it compares the earnings with Germany. The clause 'where just 8 percent does' is providing more info about the place 'Germany' and is not actually helping us compare the earnings of A with earnings of B.

Thanks, now it looks obvious. 'compared to Germany' needs 'France' in the first part, period. Where is just a relative clause describing Germany so my previous modification of B was incorrect.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 07:57
Vyshak wrote:

E) compared with the incomes less than the poverty line in Germany, where it is just 8 percent

"it" refers to "11 percent of the population" so "it" is awkward

"compared to Germany" is wrong here. The main subject is about the percent of the population, not the nation

The correct answer as the one left.

"just over 8 percent" changes the meaning of the sentence. Also, "8 percent of the incomes" cannot be compared to "11 percent of the population" since they are not in the same group.

This choice is ambiguous. Which one is compared with the income in Germany?

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 07:21
here we are comparing 11 % population's income with 8% population's income of germany
so straight C
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 22:18
Vyshak
I agree on comparison part but can you please clarify does referring to population ?

Got Q42,V17
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 00:19
ehsan090 wrote:
Vyshak
I agree on comparison part but can you please clarify does referring to population ?

Its ellipsis:
.... 11 percent of the population in France earns less annual income than the poverty line, whereas just 8 percent of the population in Germany does [ earn less annual income than the poverty line]

The presence is understood because of perfect parallel structure as indicated above. "population" being a noun, we need a pronoun to refer it and "does" is not a pronoun.

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 02:00
avik5503 wrote:
ehsan090 wrote:
Vyshak

Its ellipsis:
.... 11 percent of the population in France earns less annual income than the poverty line, whereas just 8 percent of the population in Germany does [ earn less annual income than the poverty line]

The presence is understood because of perfect parallel structure as indicated above. "population" being a noun, we need a pronoun to refer it and "does" is not a pronoun.

Thanks for your prompt response, appreciated :)

Got Q42,V17
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End

According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2017, 02:00

According to one source, 11 percent of the population in France

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap