Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [37]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [8]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Send PM
Re: Advertisement: Last year, Factorial Mutual Fund continued its strong [#permalink]
I agree with your point and the same thought i also have , but my question is whats wrong with the assumption that " it will poerform in same manner woth all investors" you negate it and conclusion will not stand
lets try
Conclusion : Investors should invest in fund if they want to book profit
Negate: It will not perform in same manner to all i.e. profit can be varying for investors
hence the conclusion falls

Correct me if i am wrong these are closely placed answers and to master gmat we need to master shell game of gmat
these options can play crucial role in tight time constrain.
Hence i bit wary about it nad want to have clear understanding
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: Advertisement: Last year, Factorial Mutual Fund continued its strong [#permalink]
Choice B correctly solve the problem. The rate of return will keep unchanging in the future.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
What an explanation
thanks Mike
And you have correctly pointed out my weakness i too feel the same, trying to improve
thanks again
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo B
If the return on investment on Factorial Mutual Fund is likely to the same and will not decrease then only the advise of the advertisement will be correct in saying that Factorial Mutual Fund will increase your earning .
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hope you guys got this one right! Feel free to post questions/thoughts. This question has also been included in the Assumption Mondays Revision Thread. Check back there next Monday for more questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Advertisement: Last year, Factorial Mutual Fund continued its strong [#permalink]
So if someone doesn’t really know anything about portfolios or mutual funds or a little bit about when is an ad considered a success, then he/she won’t be able to narrow it down to b right?

I don’t think the Gmat does that !

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
any experts can help why C is incorrect.
IMO, if Factorial Fund outperformed all other funds with similar style and investment objectives, why not consider adding Factorial Fund ?

on the other hand, if negate C, Factorial Fund did not as good as others, investors will unlikely consider Factorial Fund.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:
any experts can help why C is incorrect.
IMO, if Factorial Fund outperformed all other funds with similar style and investment objectives, why not consider adding Factorial Fund ?

on the other hand, if negate C, Factorial Fund did not as good as others, investors will unlikely consider Factorial Fund.

Hi

We are not to consider the conclusion alone, ie; that investors should consider adding Factorial Fund to their portfolios, but the conclusion along with the premises on which it is based. In this case, the conclusion is based on the following premise:

Investors who included Factorial Fund in their portfolios realized an average capital gain of 15% across all of their investment assets, nearly double the market return.

Therefore, as per the passage, the fact that investors with Factorial Fund in their portfolio realized almost double the market return is what makes it desirable for investors wanting high returns to include Factorial Fund in their portfolios.

With this in mind, when we consider (C), just the fact that Factorial Fund outperformed other similar funds does not necessarily mean that Factorial Fund was responsible for the investors realizing high returns. What if Factorial Fund actually had poor absolute returns (since it outperformed only other funds "with similar style and investment objectives") and in fact formed a small proportion of the investors' portfolio? This would also imply that their high returns were driven by other assets in their portfolio and not Factorial Fund, making the conclusion questionable.

Hope this helps.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anks2190

We're not just looking for potential advantages of the fund. We're looking for things that NEED to be true for the argument to work. Even if some funds were equal to or somewhat better than Factorial, and even if Factorial were not appropriate for some investors, it could still be logical to conclude that those who want high returns should consider Factorial. So that cuts C and D.

However, if Factorial was not what drove the profits of the investors in the premise, or if the profitability will not continue, then there's no reason for those in search of profits to consider adding Factorial.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts