GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 21:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:44) correct 34% (02:11) wrong based on 87 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Competition Mode Question

Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist, many highly intelligent and respectable people believe they exist and have even claimed to have spoken with angels. It is therefore reasonable to assume that angels do exist, but we just don't have the means to prove their existence.

All of the following, if true, are valid objections to this argument EXCEPT

A. even people who are usually honest lie on occasion.
B. well-respected people often have deep religious beliefs, so they are likely to believe in angels, even if evidence suggests angels do not exist.
C. respectable people often want to be seen as highly moral people, and contact with angels would make them seem "chosen."
D. many people believe that angels are messengers of God, and a belief in angels therefore provides evidence of their belief in God.
E. people who claim to see angels provide very similar descriptions of the angels

G
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '22, ISB '20, NUS '20
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Sep 2019, 22:54
B. well-respected people often have deep religious beliefs, so they are likely to believe in angels, even if evidence suggests angels do not exist.
C. respectable people often want to be seen as highly moral people, and contact with angels would make them seem "chosen."
D. many people believe that angels are messengers of God, and a belief in angels therefore provides evidence of their belief in God.-------- out of context.....neither an objection nor supporting the argument
E. people who claim to see angels provide very similar descriptions of the angels

Originally posted by madgmat2019 on 16 Sep 2019, 22:28.
Last edited by madgmat2019 on 16 Sep 2019, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 22:32
Let's jot down the points:
Premise: no scientific proof of existence of angels
Premise: many highly intelligent and respectable people claim to have seen and talled with angels
Conclusion: angels exists but can't prove their existence

We need to find 4 options that object the claim that angels exists, that will make 5th option our answer, which would support the claim that angels exist.

INCORRECT. Yes, this is an objection. Possibility that people would have lied about angels.

INCORRECT. Another objection. Religious people tend to believe in superstitions.

INCORRECT. Yes. An objection. Publicity and attention seekers.

D. many people believe that angels are messengers of God, and a belief in angels therefore provides evidence of their belief in God.
INCORRECT. This is another objection. Belief made people think thay angels exists.

Since we crossed out 4 options (objections), 5th option will be correct. Anyways, let's go through it.

CORRECT. This supports the argument that angels exists.Aha!

IMO answer is option E

Posted from my mobile device

ALL ABOUT GMAT- \(https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/gmat-score-explained\)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 22:56
Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist, many highly intelligent and respectable people believe they exist and have even claimed to have spoken with angels. It is therefore reasonable to assume that angels do exist, but we just don't have the means to prove their existence.

Argument is about existence of angels, highly intelligent people seem to have seen and talked to them.

Conclusion: It is reasonable to assume that angels exist because many highly intelligent and respectable people believe so even though we can’t prove their existence.

A. even people who are usually honest lie on occasion. – WRONG. If honest people don’t lie then conclusion holds true.
B. well-respected people often have deep religious beliefs, so they are likely to believe in angels, even if evidence suggests angels do not exist. – WRONG. This goes against the argument by saying that even after non existence of angels well respected people believe in it.
C. respectable people often want to be seen as highly moral people, and contact with angels would make them seem "chosen." – WRONG. It iterates the opposite of what is said in the argument already.
D. many people believe that angels are messengers of God, and a belief in angels therefore provides evidence of their belief in God. – WRONG. It says what people believe becomes evidence of their claim.
E. people who claim to see angels provide very similar descriptions of the angels – CORRECT. Neither an objection nor it is support argument.

Answer (E).

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 23:07
The answer is E in my opinion. If people who claim to see angels provide similar descriptions of angels, then it rather reinforces the argument rather that object to it.

All the other arguments provide valid objections to the argument raised in the stimulus.

Manager
Manager
S
Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Sep 2019, 21:57
All options except D are valid methods to weaken the conclusion.
Except e.

E actually strengthens the argument

Originally posted by nishthagupta on 17 Sep 2019, 03:10.
Last edited by nishthagupta on 17 Sep 2019, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 03:42
D is the answer here. Their belief in angles reflect their belief in God. But their belief in God has nothing to do with the argument and hence is not a valid objection.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 06:09
IMO it's E because if people provide a description of angels then it is not an objection.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

GMAT:[640 Q44, V34, IR4, AWA5]
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 21:54
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Official Explanation

Correct Answer: E

This statement would actually support the argument that angels exist. All of the other choices, however, offer valid objections to the argument.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 03:26
Hi
Why is "D" wrong ? How does it weaken the argument.
It says their belief in angels is an evidence for their belief in God. Their belief in God has nothing to do with the argument.
If it were - their belief in God makes them believe in angels - then it would be correct since it says that they believe in angels only because they believe in God. Not because they exist

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 03:47
Sidmehra wrote:
Hi
Why is "D" wrong ? How does it weaken the argument.
It says their belief in angels is an evidence for their belief in God. Their belief in God has nothing to do with the argument.
If it were - their belief in God makes them believe in angels - then it would be correct since it says that they believe in angels only because they believe in God. Not because they exist

Consider the situation where we both are playing a virtual reality game and we are so immersed in the game that we start believing in the game situations itself as real world situations. Basically we quote the virtual world situation in real world.

I am trying to draw an analogy to make my point clear since believing itself is no truth.

That's what option D is trying to say at least what I could infer. Hope it helps.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 05:38
EncounterGMAT wrote:
Let's jot down the points:
Premise: no scientific proof of existence of angels
Premise: many highly intelligent and respectable people claim to have seen and talled with angels
Conclusion: angels exists but can't prove their existence

We need to find 4 options that object the claim that angels exists, that will make 5th option our answer, which would support the claim that angels exist.

INCORRECT. Yes, this is an objection. Possibility that people would have lied about angels.

INCORRECT. Another objection. Religious people tend to believe in superstitions.

INCORRECT. Yes. An objection. Publicity and attention seekers.

INCORRECT. This is another objection. Belief made people think thay angels exists.

Since we crossed out 4 options (objections), 5th option will be correct. Anyways, let's go through it.

CORRECT. This supports the argument that angels exists.Aha!

IMO answer is option E

Belief made people think thay angels exists......that means its not an objection.....which is supporting the conclusion?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 05:50
gmba2020 look at the points I have jotted down. Plus the question asks "All of the following, if true, are valid objections to this argument EXCEPT" means we need to find an answer that WOULD NOT be an objection to the conclusion or would support the conclusion.
Option D states "many people believe that angels are messengers of God, and a belief in angels therefore provides evidence of their belief in God." This totally will be an objection. Just because people have some sort of belief doesn't mean angels exists.
If I believe aliens exists, it doesn't mean they do, unless I have some strong valid proof to support my claim/belief.

Also, look at the detailed explanation given by lnm87
lnm87 wrote:

Consider the situation where we both are playing a virtual reality game and we are so immersed in the game that we start believing in the game situations itself as real world situations. Basically we quote the virtual world situation in real world.

I am trying to draw an analogy to make my point clear since believing itself is no truth.

That's what option D is trying to say at least what I could infer. Hope it helps.

ALL ABOUT GMAT- \(https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/gmat-score-explained\)
GMAT Club Bot
Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2019, 05:50

Although no conclusive scientific evidence proves that angels exist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics