GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 07:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:42) correct 41% (01:42) wrong based on 409 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating some serious diseases. Nevertheless, it cannot be stated that antibiotics are always beneficial for human health, since they are known to reduce immune system activity, and persons with reduced immune system activity are likely to be afflicted by various infectious diseases.

Which of the following statements can be properly inferred from the passage above?
(A)Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.
(B)Antibiotics are the only effective means of treating some infectious diseases.
(C)New medications will be developed in the future to replace antibiotics.
(D)Reduction of immune system activity caused by antibiotics can be avoided by taking some other medications that increase immune system activity.
(E)Antibiotics are the major cause of reduced immune system activity.

OA to follow //

Originally posted by guerrero25 on 30 Jul 2013, 00:04.
Last edited by guerrero25 on 30 Jul 2013, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 01:00
guerrero25 wrote:
Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating some serious diseases. Nevertheless, it cannot be stated that antibiotics are always beneficial for human health, since they are known to reduce immune system activity, and persons with reduced immune system activity are likely to be afflicted by various infectious diseases.

Which of the following statements can be properly inferred from the passage above?
(B)Antibiotics are the only effective means of treating some infectious diseases.
(D)Reduction of immune system activity caused by antibiotics can be avoided by taking some other medications that increase immune system activity.

OA to follow //

IMO A

(A)Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.==>correct
(B)Antibiotics are the only effective means of treating some infectious diseases.==>IN ARGUMENT:Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating some serious diseases
OUT OF SCOPE
OUT OF SCOPE
(E)Antibiotics are the major cause of reduced immune system activity.==>We cant infer whether they are the major cause or not.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 01:20
guerrero25 wrote:

OA to follow //

I found A true in the scope of the available information given. A, B is not supported by available information. Nothing refers to C or E

Vietnam's number one online service on thit bo nhap khau

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 01:31
I would just add my 2 cents on A vs B, because the other options have been already discussed.

Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating some serious diseases.
(...)
activity are likely to be afflicted by various infectious diseases.
Even if the text mentions infectious diseases, we do not know whether antibiotics can cure them because the text does not say so.

(A)Treatment of some diseases (the one treated with antibiotics) always results in reduced immune system activity (they are known to reduce immune system activity).

IMO A

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Princeton Review Representative

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 06:20
Inference questions ask you to choose the answer which can be show to be true based only on the information in the passage. Correct answers will not bring in new information. This particular questions gives several facts all of which could be related to inferences so it is best to read the passage and then work to eliminate answers on the basis of new information or something that is incorrect on the basis of the text - spending a lot of time predicting answers may not increase speed or accuracy.
guerrero25 wrote:

(A)Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.If some diseases are treated by antibiotics and antibiotics are known to reduce immune activity this statement must be true, therefore this is the correct answer
(B)Antibiotics are the only effective means of treating some infectious diseases.This answer seems to be a direct repeat of one of the statements in the paragraph, and as such would be a good answer. However upon closer inspection you notice a word shift. The paragraph uses the word serious diseases and the answer uses infectious diseases. Because the paragraph does not discuss infectious diseases, this cannot be the answer
(C)New medications will be developed in the future to replace antibiotics.[color=#ed1c24]The paragraph does not give any facts about the future, therefore this answer is beyond the subject matter of the argument[/color]
(D)Reduction of immune system activity caused by antibiotics can be avoided by taking some other medications that increase immune system activity.Other medications is beyond the scope of the facts in the argument, thus this cannot be the answer
(E)Antibiotics are the major cause of reduced immune system activity.The words major cause make this out of scope - the paragraph gives no basis for comparison or ranking of causes

OA to follow //

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 06:08
Hey Guys...if I answer the question, it doesn't show in my question history...it is always stated as "not sure" even though I picked A, which is correct.

Reasoning: B is out of scope, C repeats the statement, D is out of scope and E is out of scope because of the wording "major" cause.

Greets!

PS: I have the same problem with this question: topic-143744.html

Maybe the timer has to be fixed?!

Thanks for your help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 01:27
Antibiotics prove to be the only effectivemeans of treating someserious diseases. Nevertheless, it cannot be stated that antibiotics are always beneficial for human health, since they are known to reduce immune system activity, and persons with reduced immune system activity are likely to be afflicted by various infectious diseases.

(A)Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity. SOME DESEASES CAN ONLY BE TREATED BY ANTIBIOTICS, BUT ANTIBIOTICS ARE KNOWN TO REDUCE IMMUNITY...... HENCE THE ANSWER STATEMENT IS CORRECT
(B)Antibiotics are the only effective means of treating some infectious diseases.----NOT SOME INFECTIOUS DESEASES BUT SOME SERIOUSDESEASES---MAY OR NOT BE INFECTIOUS...
(C)New medications will be developed in the future to replace antibiotics.----WHY BE SO OPTIMISTIC.. WHO KNOWS....
(D)Reduction of immune system activity caused by antibiotics can be avoided by taking some other medications that increase immune system activity...NO ONE SAID THAT?.....
(E)Antibiotics are the major cause of reduced immune system activity....ANTIBIOTICS ARE KNOWN TO REDUCE IMMUNITY.....BUT WHO SAID IT'S A MAJOR CAUSE?....

KUDOS IF U PLEASE.....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2014, 12:43
semwal wrote:
Antibiotics prove to be the only effectivemeans of treating someserious diseases. Nevertheless, it cannot be stated that antibiotics are always beneficial for human health, since they are known to reduce immune system activity, and persons with reduced immune system activity are likely to be afflicted by various infectious diseases.

(A)Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity. SOME DESEASES CAN ONLY BE TREATED BY ANTIBIOTICS, BUT ANTIBIOTICS ARE KNOWN TO REDUCE IMMUNITY...... HENCE THE ANSWER STATEMENT IS CORRECT
(B)Antibiotics are the only effective means of treating some infectious diseases.----NOT SOME INFECTIOUS DESEASES BUT SOME SERIOUSDESEASES---MAY OR NOT BE INFECTIOUS...
(C)New medications will be developed in the future to replace antibiotics.----WHY BE SO OPTIMISTIC.. WHO KNOWS....
(D)Reduction of immune system activity caused by antibiotics can be avoided by taking some other medications that increase immune system activity...NO ONE SAID THAT?.....
(E)Antibiotics are the major cause of reduced immune system activity....ANTIBIOTICS ARE KNOWN TO REDUCE IMMUNITY.....BUT WHO SAID IT'S A MAJOR CAUSE?....

KUDOS IF U PLEASE.....

hello...!
i dint select A since it dint mention the use of antibiotics in treatment...the treatment can be made from other forms of treatment...specific exercises as prescribed by physician,yoga nd derr many such tretments..wat say?

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 21:01
I am torn between A and B.

I did notice the "infectious diseases" in B, but I went with it because
1. infectious diseases can be serious too, right?
2. extreme phrasing of A. Treatment of some diseases "always results" in reduced immune system activity. Doesnt seem like the kind of language GMAC would use
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 18:34
although A sounds extreme, A is correct because of "always"
B is out because it repeats a sentence. This is an inference question.
C is wrong because of "new medication". It can be correct if it says "new antibiotics". In that case, there might be 2 correct answer.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 07:26
VeritasPrepKarishma , abhimahna

I am having trouble solving this question. Although A and B booth look strong contenders, I am finding it difficult to select one of the 2 because of the following reasons:

(A) Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.
Problem: Antibiotics are known to reduce immunity. That doesn't mean that they always do

Problem: It's given that they are the only effective means of treating some serious diseases not infectious diseases

Decided to go with B only to learn that it's the wrong choice
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 08:12
prateek176 wrote:

I am having trouble solving this question. Although A and B booth look strong contenders, I am finding it difficult to select one of the 2 because of the following reasons:

(A) Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.
Problem: Antibiotics are known to reduce immunity. That doesn't mean that they always do

Problem: It's given that they are the only effective means of treating some serious diseases not infectious diseases

Hey prateek176 ,

I am happy to help. :)

Your reasoning for B is 100% correct and hence it should be rejected.

Now , the key word to note in option A is "some".

A) Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.

Option A tells us there will always be "some" diseases that will reduce the immune system activity because we know that the only means for them to be treated is Antibiotics.

This question can be easily solved if you pay careful attention to each and every word of the answer choices(You did this for B but missed in A. ) :)

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 08:24
abhimahna wrote:
prateek176 wrote:

Hey prateek176 ,

I am happy to help. :)

Your reasoning for B is 100% correct and hence it should be rejected.

Now , the key word to note in option A is "some".

A) Treatment of some diseases always results in reduced immune system activity.

Option A tells us there will always be "some" diseases that will reduce the immune system activity because we know that the only means for them to be treated is Antibiotics.

This question can be easily solved if you pay careful attention to each and every word of the answer choices(You did this for B but missed in A. ) :)

Does that make sense?

abhimahna
I understood that Option A tells us there will always be "some" diseases that will reduce the immune system activity because we know that the only means for them to be treated is Antibiotics.
However, Antibiotics are known to reduce immunity(as written in second line). That doesn't mean that they always reduce immunity. Still confused :roll:
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 08:43
prateek176 wrote:
abhimahna
I understood that Option A tells us there will always be "some" diseases that will reduce the immune system activity because we know that the only means for them to be treated is Antibiotics.
However, Antibiotics are known to reduce immunity(as written in second line). That doesn't mean that they always reduce immunity. Still confused :roll:

Hey prateek176 ,

When I am saying antibiotics are "known" to reduce immunity, it means there is atleast one scenario where it is reducing the immunity.

Thus we are saying "in case of some diseases, it always reduces the immunity".

Let's say I have 100 diseases. Now, if I treat these diseases with antibiotics, a couple of them are getting affected.Thist means I can confidently say that there are "some" that are affected "always".

I hope its clear now. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating &nbs [#permalink] 07 Apr 2018, 08:43

Antibiotics prove to be the only effective means of treating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap