Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6254 [14]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [8]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [3]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists working in two recently discovered limestone [#permalink]
Kudos
dpo28 wrote:
Hi everyone
please explain question no. 4

Hi dpo28, I will try that.

Q4 asks to identify a situation which will negate the possibility mentioned by author in the passage. Now lets take each option individually and try to decipher:

A. The use of brushes made from animal hair did not become a common practice until about 6,000 years ago.
-> The use of brush became a common practice only 6000 years ago but it could have been used by a few "uncommon" artists before that, and hence, this does not undermines or negates author's point convincingly. Hence this is incorrect option.

B. Stones found in a nearby cave have been painted exclusively with animal figures.
-> The paintings found in a nearby cave does not negate the possibility that the ones found in the cave of importance in the passage are not unusual. The line "Hunters, warriors, and hunted animals, the typical subjects of cave art, are largely absent from these works" states "largely" which gives a room for "some" of the paintings to have animal figures as well. This as well is a incorrect option.

C. A chemical analysis shows that some of the paintings contain no gypsum, manganese, or malachite.
-> Again use of "some" in this option leaves a gap for possibility of use of above metals in the paint of some of the "other" paintings. Conclusion, this is a incorrect option.

D. To show that someone had died at the approximate age shown in a painting, the artists who created the stone paintings made a mark on the head of the figure by chipping the stone.
-> Now, if we consider this to be true, please note the option doesn't have any speculative or approximate word, likes of "some", "most", "largely" or any other been used in previous options. If this statement is considered to be true (read absolute truth because of no approximate or speculative word), the possibility of paintings depicting family trees becomes questionable because the mark which was considered to identify a individual in childhood and adulthood can not be so. Instead, it depicts the child died at that approximate age and hence can not be painted for his/her adulthood and so the reasoning is flawed that paintings represent family tree. Hence this is a correct answer.

E. Carbon-dating reveals that the stone paintings were created over a period of 200 years.
-> This option states a period over which the paintings were created, but doesn't provide the age of the paintings. It could be 5500-5700 or it could be 6200-6400 years ago and hence the possibility of the paintings ageing more than 6000 years can not be neglected straight away. This is incorrect option as well.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
I chose C for qn 1 and A for qn3.
can someone explain why they are wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
I chose C for qn 1 and A for qn3.
can someone explain why they are wrong?

I am not expert,but still I think it should be option D for Q1, since "Though facial features are rarely distinct..."
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM