Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

“Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
General GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 1309
Location: India
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
“Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 06:18
2
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:09) correct 58% (01:15) wrong based on 240 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


The following is taken from an advertisement for a new prescription drug:

“Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional trouble sleeping? Do the stresses of modern life prevent you from getting enough exercise and keeping
to a regular sleep schedule? Do you find yourself lying awake worrying about the sleep you’re not getting? New Nocturna can help you get a full night’s sleep every night. Ask your doctor about Nocturna. When nature needs a little help, try Nocturna.”

Which of the following is implied by the above argument?

(A) Many people wouldn’t need to use a prescription drug if they got more exercise and kept to a regular sleep schedule.
(B) Nocturna is more effective than similar sleep aids on the market.
(C) Millions of Americans have occasional trouble sleeping.
(D) Overuse of caffeine is one of the factors contributing to sleep problems among Americans.
(E) The only way for you to get a good night’s sleep is by taking Nocturna. STOP DO NOT TURN THE PAGE UNTIL TOLD T

_________________
If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 620
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 08:16
rohan2345 wrote:
The following is taken from an advertisement for a new prescription drug:

“Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional trouble sleeping? Do the stresses of modern life prevent you from getting enough exercise and keeping
to a regular sleep schedule? Do you find yourself lying awake worrying about the sleep you’re not getting? New Nocturna can help you get a full night’s sleep every night. Ask your doctor about Nocturna. When nature needs a little help, try Nocturna.”

Which of the following is implied by the above argument?

(A) Many people wouldn’t need to use a prescription drug if they got more exercise and kept to a regular sleep schedule.
(B) Nocturna is more effective than similar sleep aids on the market.
(C) Millions of Americans have occasional trouble sleeping.
(D) Overuse of caffeine is one of the factors contributing to sleep problems among Americans.
(E) The only way for you to get a good night’s sleep is by taking Nocturna. STOP DO NOT TURN THE PAGE UNTIL TOLD T


A.
lets check other choices:
A- hold,if ppl are getting regular sleep den why they will need this drug.
B-No comparison is made in argument.
C-No -its one of the million ..we d'ont know the number
D-out of scope
E-the word "only"-it is not the only drug .there can be many in market .
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 62
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 04:29
sobby wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:
The following is taken from an advertisement for a new prescription drug:

“Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional trouble sleeping? Do the stresses of modern life prevent you from getting enough exercise and keeping
to a regular sleep schedule? Do you find yourself lying awake worrying about the sleep you’re not getting? New Nocturna can help you get a full night’s sleep every night. Ask your doctor about Nocturna. When nature needs a little help, try Nocturna.”

Which of the following is implied by the above argument?

(A) Many people wouldn’t need to use a prescription drug if they got more exercise and kept to a regular sleep schedule.
(B) Nocturna is more effective than similar sleep aids on the market.
(C) Millions of Americans have occasional trouble sleeping.
(D) Overuse of caffeine is one of the factors contributing to sleep problems among Americans.
(E) The only way for you to get a good night’s sleep is by taking Nocturna. STOP DO NOT TURN THE PAGE UNTIL TOLD T


A.
lets check other choices:
A- hold,if ppl are getting regular sleep den why they will need this drug.
B-No comparison is made in argument.
C-No -its one of the million ..we d'ont know the number
D-out of scope
E-the word "only"-it is not the only drug .there can be many in market .


Your logic about C is not correct i Guess,,, C is wrong because it is restating what is mentioned in the Question stem, right answer will be an inference.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 9
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 14:15
Why c is incorrect? For inference facts can be restated in answer

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 33
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 22:38
Dear Experts, kindly explain how (A) is the correct answer. This option is referring to prescription drugs in general, whereas the argument mentions sleeping drugs in specific.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 617
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 21:22
This question I find it weird.
Implied means restatement is wrong ?
Coming to the options -
I cannot justify the usage of the word "many" - If there are billions of people living in American continent.
millions become few. That might be only one of the reasons to take drug but, many people- wait a minute no where there is quantifying that many people are experiencing this issue.
Can someone throw some light please.
GMATNinja ,daagh sir.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2666
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 10:05
Please please include the source whenever you post a new question!!

This is another flawed question from... well, Google seems to think it's from GMAT for Dummies, and I think I've been tagged on about a dozen awful questions from that book. Maybe some of them are perfectly fine, but this isn't one of them. It really doesn't resemble a real GMAT question, unfortunately.

So please don't spend any more of your valuable time on this!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 91
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 14:34
1
As GMATNinja said, this is poor attempt to make a question complicated. Kudos to those who questioned the OA. Also, an inference/implication could be a verbatim answer, it would just be an easy question.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 1309
Location: India
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 08:40
Hi Everyone,

Here is the official Explanation for this question. This question is from GMAT for Dummies.

For this question, you need to choose the statement that’s implied by one of the premises of the prescription-drug advertisement. Choice B may be something the manufacturer wants you to believe, but the ad doesn’t compare Nocturna and other sleep aids, so this inference isn’t warranted. Choice C is actually stated in the premises and therefore, by definition, isn’t an implication. The creator of the prescription sleep aid doesn’t choose to imply that a chemical like caffeine could be responsible for disrupting people’s sleep, so D is out. Choice E may be a conclusion for the argument, but it’s not an implication of a specific premise. It concerns people in general rather than just those who have trouble sleeping, so it’s not a precise implication. Choice A is the best answer because the second sentence of the argument clearly implies that two of the causes for sleep problems are lack of exercise and an irregular sleep schedule; with this information, you can infer that exercise and a regular sleep schedule would enhance sleep.

Hope this helps. All the best.
_________________
If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2017
Posts: 190
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 19:45
GMATNinja wrote:
Please please include the source whenever you post a new question!!

This is another flawed question from... well, Google seems to think it's from GMAT for Dummies, and I think I've been tagged on about a dozen awful questions from that book. Maybe some of them are perfectly fine, but this isn't one of them. It really doesn't resemble a real GMAT question, unfortunately.

So please don't spend any more of your valuable time on this!



bb: Can such questions be skipped from the daily timer section? We would want quality questions here.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17817
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 20:00
Locked and moved away.

Thx.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Image
GMAT Club Bot
Re: “Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 20:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

“Are you one of the millions of Americans who have occasional

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne