Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [4]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
WE:Design (Retail)
Send PM
Re: As malaria is transmitted almost entirely by mosquito bites and mosqui [#permalink]
David nguyen wrote:
As malaria is transmitted almost entirely by mosquito bites and mosquitos are most active at night, the easiest and most cost-effective way to dramatically reduce the malaria rate in a country is to cover all beds and other sleeping areas with mosquito-proof netting. The World Bank ought, therefore, to reallocate substantial funds to purchasing mosquito nets for the areas most affected by malaria, which include Southern Continental Africa and the South American interior.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the recommendation above depends?

(A) Exposure to malaria can have beneficial effects in some, particularly the very young.
(B) Malaria is the most serious disease that is transmitted by mosquitos.
(C) There exist no vaccines for malaria which are effective in all populations.
(D) World Bank efforts to reduce other diseases worldwide do not need the funds that would be reallocated.
(E) The rate of malaria infection is not substantially higher in Souther Continental Africa than in the South American interior.

The answer should be C.
Please look into it and edit the OA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: As malaria is transmitted almost entirely by mosquito bites and mosqui [#permalink]
I doubt OA.

Why C is wrong and A is correct

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Whoever gave A as the OA, standing ovation for you sir. Please check the OA. It must be C

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Eternal wrote:
David nguyen wrote:
As malaria is transmitted almost entirely by mosquito bites and mosquitos are most active at night, the easiest and most cost-effective way to dramatically reduce the malaria rate in a country is to cover all beds and other sleeping areas with mosquito-proof netting. The World Bank ought, therefore, to reallocate substantial funds to purchasing mosquito nets for the areas most affected by malaria, which include Southern Continental Africa and the South American interior.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the recommendation above depends?

(A) Exposure to malaria can have beneficial effects in some, particularly the very young.
(B) Malaria is the most serious disease that is transmitted by mosquitos.
(C) There exist no vaccines for malaria which are effective in all populations.
(D) World Bank efforts to reduce other diseases worldwide do not need the funds that would be reallocated.
(E) The rate of malaria infection is not substantially higher in Souther Continental Africa than in the South American interior.

The answer should be C.
Please look into it and edit the OA.

I understand that everyone is concerned as I am concerned too. Here is the explanation from the Barron Book:

"Argument: The conclusion straddles the therefore. The World Bank should shift funds to mosquito nets in order to reduce the rat of malaria - a Net Benefit calculation that cites only one advantage: mosquito nets work. Thus, the argument assumes that there are no unexplored advantages or disadvantages.

(A) The correct answer presents just such an advantage, that malaria exposure is sometimes helpful. Answer Choices (B) and (E) are Irrelevant Comparisons, Answer Choice (C) is a false Extreme, and Answer Choice (D) is One Step Removed, as the argument is not that the effect of the change will be beneficial overall, merely to the malaria rate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
WE:Research (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
The official answer should be A. I'll explain how. See, if malaria has beneficial effects in children (such as natural immunity-which is imparting immunity to the children so that they do not become infected when they become adults), if you stop children from getting infected by using mosquito nets, they might not gain from that benefits and might become infected with malaria when adults, which would increase the malaria rate of the country.
Hope this helps!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow. This is not good at all. I verified that this question and explanation appear in the Barron's guide, but the authors of the book seemed to have confused an Assumption question for a Weaken question. Maybe they rewrote it from another form and neglected to correct all of it? I don't know. But this absolutely does not fly as an ASSUMPTION of the argument. It does not need to be true that malaria has benefits in order for us to conclude that we should take these measures to prevent malaria.

(And as a side note, it seems rather callous to write an argument in which the "correct" answer extols the virtues of exposing small children to a disease that kills hundreds of thousands of children every year. I figured this might be a bad rewrite of a real question, and indeed I found a better version. It still wants us to expose kids to malaria, but at least it has clear reasoning, and the mention of children is the focus of the argument: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-mosquito-b ... 59983.html)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
This is a bad question. There is no link between malaria and its benefits.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
ishan261288 wrote:
The official answer should be A. I'll explain how. See, if malaria has beneficial effects in children (such as natural immunity-which is imparting immunity to the children so that they do not become infected when they become adults), if you stop children from getting infected by using mosquito nets, they might not gain from that benefits and might become infected with malaria when adults, which would increase the malaria rate of the country.
Hope this helps!

This is ridiculous. We are trying to find a good explanation that actually makes sense. GMAT isn't about finding any explanation.
How on earth is anyone supposed to know whether the net is being used on kids or not. ? And I could ask a million questions to negate this.
Also, effect of vaccination/immunity of a particular disease is not something gmat would expect you to know.

This is just wrong !

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts