GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 14:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask Experts' Global

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 05:08
spkumar wrote:
Hi just took my exam today...650 Q48,V33 IR-5.
13+ Years experience in steel PSU. Age 35.
Xth 73.5%
XII 80%
B tech from JNTU Hyderabad 63.5%
Have been part of biking expeditions (self organised)
Trekking by YHAI (life member)
Had a stint at a start-up ...had to wrap up after an year if struggle..
Active as faculty for technical subjects both at work and outside..
Please evaluate my profile
Target schools...ISB, IIMA,B,C,I...
GMAT1- 620...

Posted from my mobile device


Hello spkumar,

Thanks for writing in.

With your current work experience, you will definitely be an outlier in any class you find yourself in. Having said that, getting an admit is not impossible, provided you put forth an application that elaborates on your rich experience, and, more importantly, talks about your need for an MBA (this late in your career). You will need to emphasize on the learning aspect, as well as, how you see the MBA add value to your overall professional trajectory.

The bigger problem, though, is your GMAT score. A 620 on the GMAT may not give you your best chance at any of your target schools and you should definitely look to retake the GMAT and improve your score.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Posts: 17
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 05:12
Hello sir,

I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances in best deferred mba programmes and which is safe and competitive ?

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 06:15
Rahul9324 wrote:
Hello sir,

I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances in best deferred mba programmes and which is safe and competitive ?

Posted from my mobile device


Hello Rahul9324,

Thanks for writing in.

You have a fine GMAT score and we strongly recommend that you garner work experience relevant to your academic qualification, as well as, your career goals in order to put forth a meaningful MBA application.

Take your time, build a strong profile, and apply to the top global programs - that is what we would wholeheartedly recommend! :-)
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 08:05
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
spkumar wrote:
Hi just took my exam today...650 Q48,V33 IR-5.
13+ Years experience in steel PSU. Age 35.
Xth 73.5%
XII 80%
B tech from JNTU Hyderabad 63.5%
Have been part of biking expeditions (self organised)
Trekking by YHAI (life member)
Had a stint at a start-up ...had to wrap up after an year if struggle..
Active as faculty for technical subjects both at work and outside..
Please evaluate my profile
Target schools...ISB, IIMA,B,C,I...
GMAT1- 620...

Posted from my mobile device


Hello spkumar,

Thanks for writing in.

With your current work experience, you will definitely be an outlier in any class you find yourself in. Having said that, getting an admit is not impossible, provided you put forth an application that elaborates on your rich experience, and, more importantly, talks about your need for an MBA (this late in your career). You will need to emphasize on the learning aspect, as well as, how you see the MBA add value to your overall professional trajectory.

The bigger problem, though, is your GMAT score. A 620 on the GMAT may not give you your best chance at any of your target schools and you should definitely look to retake the GMAT and improve your score.

Hope this helps.

All the best!


Thank you very much for your valuable insights. However, I would like to correct that my latest GMAT score is 650. My first attempt score was 620.
Is it really late in my career?...Well I am just 35. As I started working the same year I graduated, my experience is on the higher side. Does that change anything from what u have said?...

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 04:24
On an unrelated note, can anyone shed some light on the newly started one year Post graduate programme in business leadership in IIM Kozhikode? Is the programme worth applying to? Any help is appreciated.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Jun 2018
Posts: 105
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 08:19
Hi Experts,

I would sincerely appreciate any feedback on my profile.

I’m Ukrainian woman, 30 years old.
Have a master degree in Computer Science (GPA 4.0), local university.

GMAT: 600 (December 2018), 630 (February 2019), 660 (March 2019).
Today I completed my fourth GMAT attempt but had to cancel the results.

I have 10 years of working experience in Software Engineering in the same firm. Having a path from QA engineer through project management to one of key role in the company, now I’m heading engineer department and work as a delivery manager.

Have a good trace record of building and growing professional community in my city, organizing the events, taking part in the field conferences as a speaker, and teaching others as a tutor.

My goal is to get MBA and start my career in top tech company in US.

Still consider to retake GMAT once again, once boost my Verbal. My score of 660 consists of Q48, V32. Still consider there is a good chance to improve verbal part, but I’ve just recently read in the forum that administration might not prefer such retakers.

My goal is Tier-1 school in US. Specially I’m targeting at HAAS.

Should I try to hit such Bschools with my average GMAT, taking into account that I might be a part of not-over representative cohort?
Should I still not give up and re-take for the 5th time?
Or should I start looking for Tier-2 and -3 schools?

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 22:15
ankaua wrote:
Hi Experts,

I would sincerely appreciate any feedback on my profile.

I’m Ukrainian woman, 30 years old.
Have a master degree in Computer Science (GPA 4.0), local university.

GMAT: 600 (December 2018), 630 (February 2019), 660 (March 2019).
Today I completed my fourth GMAT attempt but had to cancel the results.

I have 10 years of working experience in Software Engineering in the same firm. Having a path from QA engineer through project management to one of key role in the company, now I’m heading engineer department and work as a delivery manager.

Have a good trace record of building and growing professional community in my city, organizing the events, taking part in the field conferences as a speaker, and teaching others as a tutor.

My goal is to get MBA and start my career in top tech company in US.

Still consider to retake GMAT once again, once boost my Verbal. My score of 660 consists of Q48, V32. Still consider there is a good chance to improve verbal part, but I’ve just recently read in the forum that administration might not prefer such retakers.

My goal is Tier-1 school in US. Specially I’m targeting at HAAS.

Should I try to hit such Bschools with my average GMAT, taking into account that I might be a part of not-over representative cohort?
Should I still not give up and re-take for the 5th time?
Or should I start looking for Tier-2 and -3 schools?

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi ankaua,

Thanks for writing in.

Even while we can count on the fact that you are not a part of an over-represented pool of applicants, a 660 will be on the lower side for schools such as Haas; we do recommend that if you are looking at the top 10 programs in the US, you must apply with a score of at least 700. In your case, the other disadvantage that we perceive is your higher years of experience. US 2-year programs, in general, prefer a combination of a high GMAT score and low years of experience and we are at a disadvantage on both fronts.

Having said the above, we would recommend that you look for fitment rather than ranking and do proceed with applying to some of the mid-ranked programs (some of which respect years of experience); at the same time, do explore some options in Europe as well. The European programs respect years of experience and are slightly less GMAT sensitive. However, we do not recommend that you delay your MBA plans any more now. In our opinion, adding another year of experience to your profile will do more harm than good.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 21:01
Hi,

1) I am confused with the GPA conversion system of Indian percentages to U.S GPA (4.0 Scale). what is Indian Bachelor's 59.5% to U.S GPA(4.0 Scale).

2) How likely a profile like this will fetch me an MBA from top Business Schools in U.S & is my GMAT score good enough for me to secure a seat?


Profile

Xth - 82 %

XII th - 81.3 %

B.Tech - Dropout (2009-2013) RVR & JC College

(U.G) B.A - 59.5% (2013-2016) BR Ambedkar Open University (in Top 10 out of 120 students)

M.B.A - Dropout (2017-2017) JBIT

Graduated from ISB-C.B.A - (2.6/4 GPA) (2017-2018) Indian School of Business.

Trained In Advance Business Analytics from IIT Hyderabad


GMAT: 640 (Q47 V32)


Experience: 3.5+ (from 2016)
Founder: OffersWave ( started in UG - 2014) (Sold out to Surya Sol - 2014)
Coupon Aggregator
Founder: LocalWalt (Failure -2015)
Local e-commerce
Founder:FIXU (Raised Funds From : FACEBOOK, KHUSAKI, KP INVESTMENTS) (2016-2018) Merged With ZOBIT.
Handyman Aggregator
Co-Founder: Block-Z-Labs (2018- Present)
Blockchain
Co-Founder: EVISONV2- Technology NGO (2018-Present)
Smart Glasses for the BLIND


Awards:
Karmaveer Chakra - 2019
Global Young leaders Fellow instituted by ICONGOs & United Nations - 2019
Nominated in top 3 ALL INDIA for Rising Star Awards in AI/ML category 2019 by Nasscom
All India Top 100 Startups by The August Fest - 2016
Table Tennis 2nd price in College Championship - 2012
Carrom board 1st price in class-X


Extracurricular
Mentor entrepreneurs : given Guest lectures in 25+ Institutes & 1500+ Students ( VNR, ICFAI,CGCHS, etc)
Started a Technology NGO for the blind and helping 500+ people from Devnar School
Conducted 3 blood donation camps in my village
President of the college's annual cultural festival
Cryptocurrency Investor/trader.
Building a Tech Innovators Community.

Preferred colleges

ISB
Ceibs China
Kellog
university of Chicago
Columbia business school
MIT
TUCK
LBS
UCLA: Anderson
university of Michigan ross

Post-MBA goals
Career acceleration in the current Startup.
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 06:29
vk911911 wrote:
Hi,

1) I am confused with the GPA conversion system of Indian percentages to U.S GPA (4.0 Scale). what is Indian Bachelor's 59.5% to U.S GPA(4.0 Scale).

2) How likely a profile like this will fetch me an MBA from top Business Schools in U.S & is my GMAT score good enough for me to secure a seat?


Profile

Xth - 82 %

XII th - 81.3 %

B.Tech - Dropout (2009-2013) RVR & JC College

(U.G) B.A - 59.5% (2013-2016) BR Ambedkar Open University (in Top 10 out of 120 students)

M.B.A - Dropout (2017-2017) JBIT

Graduated from ISB-C.B.A - (2.6/4 GPA) (2017-2018) Indian School of Business.

Trained In Advance Business Analytics from IIT Hyderabad


GMAT: 640 (Q47 V32)


Experience: 3.5+ (from 2016)
Founder: OffersWave ( started in UG - 2014) (Sold out to Surya Sol - 2014)
Coupon Aggregator
Founder: LocalWalt (Failure -2015)
Local e-commerce
Founder:FIXU (Raised Funds From : FACEBOOK, KHUSAKI, KP INVESTMENTS) (2016-2018) Merged With ZOBIT.
Handyman Aggregator
Co-Founder: Block-Z-Labs (2018- Present)
Blockchain
Co-Founder: EVISONV2- Technology NGO (2018-Present)
Smart Glasses for the BLIND


Awards:
Karmaveer Chakra - 2019
Global Young leaders Fellow instituted by ICONGOs & United Nations - 2019
Nominated in top 3 ALL INDIA for Rising Star Awards in AI/ML category 2019 by Nasscom
All India Top 100 Startups by The August Fest - 2016
Table Tennis 2nd price in College Championship - 2012
Carrom board 1st price in class-X


Extracurricular
Mentor entrepreneurs : given Guest lectures in 25+ Institutes & 1500+ Students ( VNR, ICFAI,CGCHS, etc)
Started a Technology NGO for the blind and helping 500+ people from Devnar School
Conducted 3 blood donation camps in my village
President of the college's annual cultural festival
Cryptocurrency Investor/trader.
Building a Tech Innovators Community.

Preferred colleges

ISB
Ceibs China
Kellog
university of Chicago
Columbia business school
MIT
TUCK
LBS
UCLA: Anderson
university of Michigan ross

Post-MBA goals
Career acceleration in the current Startup.


Hello vk911911,

Thanks for your query.

While the number of unique elements in your profile such as the tech start-up, the NGO for the blind, as well as, the strong mentoring experience will really help differentiate your case in the pool of applicants, your academic record (with you having dropped out on multiple occasions), as well as, the low GMAT score prove to be major red flags and could prove to be detrimental to your application.

Considering the same, we strongly recommend a GMAT retake; once the GMAT is out of the way, a lot will depend on your essays; we recommend that you spend a substantial amount of time preparing essays that are reflective of the strengths in your profile while making no excuses for the red flags.

Coming to your query on the GPA..

In case some school insists on a scale out of 4, please calculate it using the following approach:

[(Your grade) / (Average grade of four toppers in the class)] x 4

It's okay to assume approximate numbers for the four toppers. If you do use this approach, please explain this in the optional essay.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2017
Posts: 7
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 19:02
Hi team,

I'd be grateful for any ideas you may have in relation to my profile and what schools you think I might be a fit for. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

GMAT 720 (Q46, V44)
GPA B+ equivalent (~3.25) double degree engineering/finance major. Non-target (top NZ) university
CFA charterholder

Nationality: New Zealand (Chinese ethnicity)
Applying at 31 years old, male

Worked in 3 countries - NZ, Canada, United States
Worked in 3 industries with 8 years exp - Civil Engineering, Commercial Banking, currently working in investment management in New York

Post MBA goal is to transition into Real Estate Investment Management

Extracurriculars are not so strong. President of sports club in university, spent a couple of years mentoring high school students through class visits. More recently, I have only been involved in networking groups (eg. CFA society and school alumni, etc) engaging as a regular member.

Considering: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, INSEAD

Thank you!
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2019, 03:00
dsam12 wrote:
Hi team,

I'd be grateful for any ideas you may have in relation to my profile and what schools you think I might be a fit for. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

GMAT 720 (Q46, V44)
GPA B+ equivalent (~3.25) double degree engineering/finance major. Non-target (top NZ) university
CFA charterholder

Nationality: New Zealand (Chinese ethnicity)
Applying at 31 years old, male

Worked in 3 countries - NZ, Canada, United States
Worked in 3 industries with 8 years exp - Civil Engineering, Commercial Banking, currently working in investment management in New York

Post MBA goal is to transition into Real Estate Investment Management

Extracurriculars are not so strong. President of sports club in university, spent a couple of years mentoring high school students through class visits. More recently, I have only been involved in networking groups (eg. CFA society and school alumni, etc) engaging as a regular member.

Considering: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, INSEAD

Thank you!


Hello dsam12,

Thanks for your query.

While you CFA, as well as, your international work experience, will add a lot of value to your overall case, the higher years of work experience, coupled with the lack of any major extra-curricular activities may push our case backwards.

A spike in the GMAT score, as well as, a set of well-written essays, could help; hence, you may want to consider retaking the GMAT and then focus on putting forth a set of essays which are truly representative of your strengths and connect the dots in your story well.

We would also recommend that you apply to a larger number of European programs as these prefer individuals with higher years of experience as compared to programs in the US which tend to prefer candidates with slightly lower work experience that what you have.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2432
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2019, 09:13
I do agree that with your current stats and age you're a better fit for European programs. Also, All European programs tend to have a very International Global Focus where they would really value your International work experience.

I'm going to assume that you chose these US schools because they have a reputation for Real Estate Management. At least the American programs. London Business School in Oxford also have that and they are yes more hospitable towards older students where the average age is 29 or 30.

There, the GMAT 710 and 690 respectively. Even though you are a kiwi the fact that you have Chinese ancestry unfortunately does put you slightly in the running with the second most populous group in the applicant pool. Engineering is a pretty common work background for that same group as well.

I'd recommend that you focus on programs where you have at least 20 points over the average class profile for the GMAT and if you have a better test score in you, by all means retake. Insead has a recommendation that I honestly think is more of a requirement that you score 75%ile or better on each section.

="dsam12"]Hi team,

I'd be grateful for any ideas you may have in relation to my profile and what schools you think I might be a fit for. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

GMAT 720 (Q46, V44)
GPA B+ equivalent (~3.25) double degree engineering/finance major. Non-target (top NZ) university
CFA charterholder

Nationality: New Zealand (Chinese ethnicity)
Applying at 31 years old, male

Worked in 3 countries - NZ, Canada, United States
Worked in 3 industries with 8 years exp - Civil Engineering, Commercial Banking, currently working in investment management in New York

Post MBA goal is to transition into Real Estate Investment Management

Extracurriculars are not so strong. President of sports club in university, spent a couple of years mentoring high school students through class visits. More recently, I have only been involved in networking groups (eg. CFA society and school alumni, etc) engaging as a regular member.

Considering: Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, INSEAD

Thank you![/quote]

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Mar 2019
Posts: 12
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2019, 13:50
Hi All. I am interested in pursuing MSc Finance and had a few good universities in mind like LBS, LSE,IE Business School, Bocconi, etc.
But I recently appeared for GMAT and got the following scores:-
Q:49 V:28 IR:6 AWA: 5
Total: 640
Since my score is not a very competitive score, have I lost all chances of applying and should consider a re examination? To give a brief background, I am a Chartered Accountant from India with 2 years of work experience in an investment bank. Also, I will be able to get good recommendations from my supervisors.
Can I use the above work ex to my advantage since most MFin courses don’t require work experience?
Would really appreciate some advice on this. And also, I am in search of people who have a similar profile and would love to get in touch.

Cheers

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 05:20
shubhigandhi10 wrote:
Hi All. I am interested in pursuing MSc Finance and had a few good universities in mind like LBS, LSE,IE Business School, Bocconi, etc.
But I recently appeared for GMAT and got the following scores:-
Q:49 V:28 IR:6 AWA: 5
Total: 640
Since my score is not a very competitive score, have I lost all chances of applying and should consider a re examination? To give a brief background, I am a Chartered Accountant from India with 2 years of work experience in an investment bank. Also, I will be able to get good recommendations from my supervisors.
Can I use the above work ex to my advantage since most MFin courses don’t require work experience?
Would really appreciate some advice on this. And also, I am in search of people who have a similar profile and would love to get in touch.

Cheers

Posted from my mobile device


Hello shubhigandhi10,

Thanks for writing in.

While you have not lost all chances of applying with your current score, a GMAT retake will definitely help and is strongly recommended. The CA degree, as well as, the work experience will definitely add a lot of value to your essays; however, the Admissions Committee evaluates profiles in a holistic manner and the GMAT is a very important segment particularly if you are targetting schools such as LBS, LSE, IE. Unfortunately, however strong your recommendations may be, they cannot adequately compensate for a GMAT score that is much below the average for a particular school.

Hope this helps! :-)

Good luck!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2019, 02:44
I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numerous activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I know how VC is to break into and it might some time so I am flexible with my short term goals. I am open to joining the Capital Projects and Infrastructure or Private Equity Practices of the MBB firms to start with or an early stage startup

I plan to work in an early stage startup or a VC fund in the two years after finishing my UG and start my CFA.
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2019, 05:27
yashbhati wrote:
I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numerous activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I know how VC is to break into and it might some time so I am flexible with my short term goals. I am open to joining the Capital Projects and Infrastructure or Private Equity Practices of the MBB firms to start with or an early stage startup

I plan to work in an early stage startup or a VC fund in the two years after finishing my UG and start my CFA.


Hello yashbhati,

Congratulations on a great GMAT score, and a good profile, overall! :)

Just focus on getting an experience that is relevant to your career goals, as well as, completing your CFA and you will have very fine chances, wherever you apply (of course, with a strong overall application)! :-)

Should you have any specific questions, please feel free to write to us.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 05:09
Hi

I'm a Canadian male, 20 y/o. Been living in India since the past decade. I'm currently in the third year of my undergrad and have no work experience, which is probably the biggest issue that I know of. I'm looking to continue my studies without taking up a job, so could I get a profile evaluation?

Undergrad degree: Economics, 76% at the end of the 4th semester
(I don't know how to translate my percentage to GPA, sorry)
GMAT: 730 (50Q, 40V)
Internships: One summer internship at a proprietary derivatives trading firm

I have a long list of extra-curriculars but my most notable ones are:-
1. President of a social entrepreneurship society in my college, been closely working on setting up businesses centered around food security, hygiene and sanitation, empowerment of women and use of solar energy since the past two years. I have lots to talk about these.
2. Created a stock market simulation type of a competition for students to participate in
3. Speaker at a national level symposium
4. Written up several short-articles and designed infographics to go with them
5. Created a successful newsletter

What kind of a chance do I stand?
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 07:02
cantsettleforthis wrote:
Hi

I'm a Canadian male, 20 y/o. Been living in India since the past decade. I'm currently in the third year of my undergrad and have no work experience, which is probably the biggest issue that I know of. I'm looking to continue my studies without taking up a job, so could I get a profile evaluation?

Undergrad degree: Economics, 76% at the end of the 4th semester
(I don't know how to translate my percentage to GPA, sorry)
GMAT: 730 (50Q, 40V)
Internships: One summer internship at a proprietary derivatives trading firm

I have a long list of extra-curriculars but my most notable ones are:-
1. President of a social entrepreneurship society in my college, been closely working on setting up businesses centered around food security, hygiene and sanitation, empowerment of women and use of solar energy since the past two years. I have lots to talk about these.
2. Created a stock market simulation type of a competition for students to participate in
3. Speaker at a national level symposium
4. Written up several short-articles and designed infographics to go with them
5. Created a successful newsletter

What kind of a chance do I stand?


Hello cantsettleforthis

Thanks for your query.

You have a fine GMAT score and while you may not be eligible for most MBA programs, you could always apply to MiM or MSF programs that do not require work experience (of course, the choice of program would also depend on what your career goals are and since you have not spoken about the same, we are unable to comment on the prospects in greater detail).

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 May 2019
Posts: 14
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 21:24
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 6.47/10
Degree: BE Computer Science
Experience:5 year
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: from 2016-now

Work for Konsole Group (PR company) as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh


As Entrepreneur:
Co Founder of Mr Tiffin (2014-16)
( Currently holding only 10% stake)

Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen which serve 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000


Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work for Company like Google

Long term: Want to start a company.


Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Please tell me which college i should prefer

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Apr 2017
Posts: 257
Re: Ask Experts' Global  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 06:11
Zishanuddin wrote:
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 6.47/10
Degree: BE Computer Science
Experience:5 year
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: from 2016-now

Work for Konsole Group (PR company) as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh


As Entrepreneur:
Co Founder of Mr Tiffin (2014-16)
( Currently holding only 10% stake)

Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen which serve 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000


Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work for Company like Google

Long term: Want to start a company.


Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Please tell me which college i should prefer

Posted from my mobile device


Dear Zishanuddin,

Thanks for your query.

You have a fair bit working for you with the food start-up and the diverse experience and while the GMAT score is not high, it is a decent one, nonetheless.
While we do not speculate on school shortlisting, we do believe you will have a number of good options open for you provided you are able to put forth a concrete set of career goals, which, as of now, are a bit all over the place. Also, while the low GPA is a bit of a concern, it can be addressed in the Optional Essay for each school.

We suggest that you get started with your research on the schools basis your career goals, as well as, your preferred geography. We would also like to offer you a free profile evaluation to discuss things in greater detail. Should you wish to take this further, please do get in touch.

All the best!
_________________
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask Experts' Global   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 06:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Experts' Global

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne