Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]
shambu wrote:
Profile Evaluation for 2022: GMAT: 720
•Nationality: Indian male
•Work experience: 5 years
•Function: (3 promotions in 5 years). PMP certified.
•Working as a Project manager at a Mechanical Auomation systems manufacturer. Currently managing a team of 150 people, cross functional teams across different geographies.

•Extracurricular: Part of professional clubs and core organising teams for Tech and cultural fests at University. Also a part of two NGO’s. Avid sports player and entusiast.
•Post MBA Career Goal: Senior management role in a project based industry or Operations based roles
•Kindly advice suitable schools to apply and us and various post MBA career goals that are possible with this profile. Thank you.

As you probably already aware, there are many Engineers and project managers that apply to business schools. Therefore it will be important to play up the key things that you have learned on the job and to demonstrate your leadership, values and interests through your extracurricular activities. With a 720 GMAT you are in the ballpark but still below average for the top schools. I would try to increase that score if you can. I think your career goals are fine and appropriate given your background so far. I would suggest that you target schools in the "mid range" (E.g. Ross, Stern, Duke, UCLA) with perhaps one or 2 "reach" schools in the M7.

Thanks for joining us today! We at Fortuna Admissions would be happy to discuss your profile in more detail. To do so, please sign up for a free consultation on our website, https://fortunaadmissions.com/free_consult/

Originally posted by BKooser on 22 Jun 2021, 10:20.
Last edited by BKooser on 22 Jun 2021, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
UtkarshAnand Your are a little bit on the older side at age 31, and your GPA is below what they would like. However, your work experience is a bit unusual. You will need to make the case that your skills will translate to a business environment. I would suggest looking at Stanford MSx and MIT Sloan Fellows because they accept a slightly older profile. And some of the European schools, which also skew slightly older on average than the US schools. In terms of MBB, it would depend on your performance in business school - they like to hire people with first year honors, etc. Your undergraduate GPA will be held against you there, unfortunately. I would expand your target range of schools since you are an older profile.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Next in the queue bratbg, knight2209,
Send PM
Avinashchittapu wrote:
I did my Engineering in one of the top Institutions in India. Have been working as a mechanical Engineer for a little over 3 years. 95% in matriculation, 98% in 12th and 80% in Undergraduation. I have handled a couple of high impact projects during my 3 tears at work and have also received a couple of awards.I have a lot of National-level achievements in Singing, Drawing, Poetry, Theatre, Academics and Writing. I also hold a 7-year dimploma degree in Indian Classical music. I am yet to give GMA, which is just a month awt and I expect somewhere around 730 as mocks say. What are my chances of getting into top 20 B-schools in the world. Really looking for a reply

Thanks Avinash. Your undergrad work seems solid as does your expected GMAT. (However, if you can get beyond a 730 you will do better with the top 10 schools). I think you are in the ballpark for top 20. I would suggest that you think about how to use your creative accomplishments to set you apart from other similar candidates. I’m sure you have learned a lot and gained a lot from your participation in these activities. You can use that to good advantage when you talk about your values and interests.
Send PM
Avinashchittapu wrote:
I did my Engineering in one of the top Institutions in India. Have been working as a mechanical Engineer for a little over 3 years. 95% in matriculation, 98% in 12th and 80% in Undergraduation. I have handled a couple of high impact projects during my 3 tears at work and have also received a couple of awards.I have a lot of National-level achievements in Singing, Drawing, Poetry, Theatre, Academics and Writing. I also hold a 7-year dimploma degree in Indian Classical music. I am yet to give GMA, which is just a month awt and I expect somewhere around 730 as mocks say. What are my chances of getting into top 20 B-schools in the world. Really looking for a reply
The creative side of your experience is interesting, and the fact that you have managed high-impact projects and gotten awards is very positive because they will be looking for those things. However, you don’t mention your company or industry. In general, if you come from a company where a lot of people go to top business schools, and you are an outstanding performer there, that will position you well for the top schools. However, if it’s a company that never sends people to business school, it will be more challenging. Also, with your background, they are going to expect good, meaningful, personal essays. Finally, it would be great to get your GMAT up a bit. It’s good that you are looking at more schools than HSW. In general, it’s wise to spread a wider net, since even the best candidates may not get in there.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Next in the queue akash tomar, ilovecroquettes,
Send PM
smehrotra wrote:
Name : smehrotra

Indian Male , 25 years old

GMAT : 740

Undergrad Major : Bachelors of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering, Class of 2018. CGPA : 7.8 / 10
Undergrad College : Manipal Institute of Technology (Tier - 2, but with well placed Alums acorss the world)

Works Experience :
->Software Engineer at Samsung Research for 1 year
->Software Development Engineer at Amazon for 2 years and ongoing. (Part of a team very important to Amazon’s transportation network). Lead projects for 3P Carriers in China and Canada.

LOR : Current Manager and an alum of CMU Computer Science Engineering School.

Extra Curriculars:
->Part of clubs and committees organizing college festivals
->Run a blog / page to help working professionals invest in Indian Stocks markets.
->Teach coding to nuerodiverse students inroder to skill up and find jobs.
->Volunteered in a goverment of India project to buid software to promote Virtual Education through Tech.

Short Term Goals : Transitioning from a software engineer to a product manager / tech strategy role. I am also keeping consulting as an open option.

Target Schools : UC Berkeley Hass, UMichigan Ross, UCLA Anderson , CMU Tepper, UWash Foster, NUS, Rotman.
Would like more suggestions on other schools too.
The main issue with your profile is that it will be difficult to differentiate yourself given your experience. You will be in a very competitive category, and they will be looking for people who stand out. Your work experience seems good, but it’s not necessarily going to jump out. So I think you are right that you will need to keep a variety of schools on your list to succeed. You could also look at UNC’s Kenan Flagler school. In terms of your career aspirations, I think they make perfect sense. Someone with your background and an MBA should be a natural fit for a product manager role.
Send PM
Bratbg: you have some great work experience that will serve you well and set you apart. A 750 gmat will serve you well, but your current 680 will put you at the lower end of the scale even at the schools you list. Given your interest in supply chain I think the schools you indicate are good targets and within reach with your grades and current scores. With a higher gmat you might consider a couple of other "reach" schools.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Next in the queue sdash, Upasana219,
Send PM
knight2209 wrote:
Indian/Male/23 YO (as of June’21)
Academics: -
Graduation: Engineering (Information Tech.) from Pune University – 8.15/10
12th: 84.48%
10th: 9.8 CGPA

GMAT1: 690 (Q50, V33, IR5, AWA3)
GMAT2: 750 (Q50, V41, IR3, AWA4)

Work Ex: -
Analytics Consulting (straight from college – completed exactly 2 Years as of June’21)
Planning to continue working until Aug-Sept (before the fall semester starts), so will have 3 years work-ex at matriculation
Managing 2 – 3 junior associates in the team (one of the youngest members to be doing so)
Fast-tracked promotion
Working with a big European client (direct and daily communication with the brand leads) and leading several lines of work
Multiple core (work-related) and non-core (other team and management activities) initiatives at work
Piloted couple of things in the team related to delivery scope

Extra Curriculars and achievements: -
Lead various committees and events in college across sales, marketing and management
Taught Phys. & Mathematics to high school students for ~3 years during my graduation
Top 0.25% to get placed in the most competitive company that recruited from our campus

Post MBA Goals: -
Switching to strategy consulting (leveraging my experience in analytics consulting)

Target Schools: -
H/S/W, Other M7s, LBS, HEC, Open to other suggestions
On thing that stands out is that you are on the younger side. It’s not that they won’t look at people with your work experience, but other applicants will have had more time to rack up accomplishments and will potentially have even better work experience. Also think about how well-known your firm is in the US. If it sends a ton of people business school, then it means you have a better shot. If it doesn’t, then it means it will be that much hard. However, it’s very good that you are one of the star performers at your firm since that is one of the key things they are looking for. Essentially, that is a must for anyone applying to the top schools. I would add NYU Stern since they have a tech program.
Send PM
akash tomar wrote:
Name : Akash Tomar, 30yrs, Indian, Male, GMAT-Yet to attempt

UG: B.E. Pune University, Agg – 64%
PG : M. Tech (Design Engineering), BITS Pilani GPA: 8.4
WExp: 9 yrs, Regional Manager – Sales and Marketing (3 promotion) at GKN Sinter Metals (11K Billion Pound Group)
6 months of Work Experience in European Countries (Germany)
Responsible for all OEM’s like Maruti Suzuki, Honda, Hero – All top automobile manufactures in India

Extracurricular : Basketball captain college team, Technical events participation

Post MBA goals: Consulting role or Sales and Marketing

Target: LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, HEC, Other Top Canadian School

Mainly handling a team for regular sales and new business development, handling top customer of my company and responsible for entire region sales. Can show savings in project for company total valuGe will be in Millions $

1) What will be the ideal score required for getting in colleges listed above
2) Is my profile very common for the above colleges
3) I don’t have any experience working in non profit organization will that work against my profile for college I’m trying to get into
4) Is my profile suited for these type of colleges or should I target some other region / colleges

Given your age, you will be on the older end for many of the top schools’ full time MBA programs. That’s not necessarily a problem, but it makes it more important to tell a coherent story about why you want to get an MBA and what you will contribute. However, you might also consider exploring some of the EMBA programs at the top schools. Your target GMAT score will depend on whether you apply full time or emba. For the schools you listed, you’ll want to shoot for mid- 700s if you apply for full time. If you go EMBA, you probably have more flexibility and the expectations for GMAT score (or Executive Assessment) will be lower. Sales and marketing as a background is unusual, which is good. You can parlay that into an interesting story. Extracurrculars and social or community work are increasingly important so that could be a drawback. I would suggest you also look at the EMBA programs in Asia - INSEAD, LBS, Booth, Kellogg, etc all have great programs that could be a fit.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Next in the queue rgarg13, Saswat30,
Send PM
sdash wrote:
I was working with Vedanta Limited, an MNC. I was posted in the power plant. There the Operation and management was looked over by a South Korean Company. They were working as a 3rd Party company for Vedanta. I was directly involved with people from south Korea. I managed a team comprising of 12 members from there company.

I would talk with the folks at INSEAD to be sure, but this might be sufficient. (Although I expect that they would prefer an international posting). However, you could play up the fact that you had to manage cross-culturally and talk about the challenges and key learnings from doing so.
Send PM
ilovecroquettes wrote:
Requesting Profile Eval for MBA 2023/2024 Intake. Thanks in advance for your time!

Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Southeast Asian (US Citizen, Immigrant, 1st Generation College)
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, Booth, Haas

GMAT
Not yet taken, aiming for 690-710

Academics:
-BS in Mechanical Engineering from HYPSM
-Theatre minor
-2.9 Cumulative GPA, downward trend (It’s my weakest area, I know... It was hard adjusting to college, I was dealing with depression... I plan to explain in optional essay)

College Leadership/Work Experience:
-Executive Board Member at Diversity Group 1
-Community Engagement Chair at Diversity Group 2
-Part-time jobs
-Study abroad in Germany

Work Experience:
- 4 years in F100 Aerospace – Mechanical Engineer, Program Manager, Promoted 1x, Given Program-level award, $1-2million projects w/ international clients, process improvement initiatives saving company $500K
-Lead my office Employee Resource Group (ERG) focused on Community Engagement
- 1 year in FAANG – Mechanical Engineer, $50-70million projects

Extra Curriculars:
-Volunteer for national organization focused on Education enablement and College Prep for first-generation students of color - Teaching STEM classes, CS TA, resume workshops
-Ski instructor (2 years)

Goals:
-Short term: Work in Tech - Product Management or Operations
-Long Term: Expand my venture focused on Mental Health and Wellness, Head of Product at Tech company

Questions: harvard
-Other than GMAT, any other ways to mitigate my low undergrad GPA? Do you recommend HBX Core vs. re-taking college courses?
-Any other US B-schools you think would be a good fit?
I think you may have a challenge with your GPA and a GMAT that is on the lower side. It’s good that it came from a top university, but it’s still definitely on the low end, and your GMAT is slightly below average, as well. So the rest of your application will need to be outstanding to compensate. You may need additional experience at a very high level of achievement to apply to the top schools. Otherwise, they can find someone with a similar profile with higher stats. In terms of your GPA, I’d say the most effective thing would be to have a high GMAT to counterbalance it, so it might be worth investing your time in GMAT prep. I would look at schools where you are closer to the average GMAT.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Next in the queue Rockstar20, sahiba96,

FYI, 15 more minutes left in this chat session

Originally posted by Nikhil on 22 Jun 2021, 10:44.
Last edited by Nikhil on 22 Jun 2021, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
rgarg13 wrote:
Requesting Profile Eval for MBA 2023/2024 Intake

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: South Asian (Indian, 1st Generation College)
Schools: Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, INSEAD

GMAT

Academics:
-Bachelors in Commerce from Shri Ram College of Commerce, India’s top undergraduate institution. Scored 97.4% in the national board exams (rank 10 out of 15 lakh plus students)
-8.068/10 Cumulative GPA
-President of the Finance and Investment Cell, led a team of 106 students. Raised 1.75 lakh rupees over the course of a year. Held regular knowledge forums

Work Experience:
- 3 years in Government at the national and state level. Prepared speeches and interventions for parliamentary debates. The speeches formed part of the discourse on women empowerment, Kashmir’s legal status, consumer protection, insolvency and bankruptcy, and online privacy amongst others. The same are available on the Indian parliament’s official website. At the state level, created an institution to help youth from the rural areas in the state of Haryana get training on entrepreneurship modules and launch their own ventures or earn a livelihood through getting a job in a sunrise sector. Approximately 500 youth have benefitted already and the program will be expanded over the coming year.
-Founder of Punya (https://www.punya.in) an e-commerce platform and business development partners for NGOs and charities with a mission to make these organisations financially independent. Garnered national media attention and partnered with 30 organisations across India. Raise more than rupees 3 lakhs for these organisations within a year with plans to expand.

Goals:
-Short term: Corporate management in the USA
-Long Term: Come back to India to work on improving supply chains in agriculture and creating circular economy organisations to tackle agricultural waste while creating value

Questions: 1. Whether the profile is good enough for the M7 considering there is no big brand in consulting of finance associated with it? 2. There is a 1 year gap on my resume because of health reasons, any advice on how to offset the same? 3. Chances of acceptance at the targetted schools

You have good grades and scores which will put you in the running for the M7. However, you are still on the young side. (this is mitigated by the type of work you’ve done and your founding of Punya - both of which will be attractive).

rgarg13 - your work experience will be attractive given the social impact it has had (and can have in the future. No worries on the gap in your resume. You can address it in the "optional" essays. All of your targets are very competitive, as you know, so it’s hard for anyone to get admitted. However, you have an interesting background that could be turned into a solid application. That being said, I would add some other schools to your mix

Originally posted by BKooser on 22 Jun 2021, 10:47.
Last edited by BKooser on 22 Jun 2021, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Stanford '20
Send PM
Rachele wrote:
ilovecroquettes wrote:
Requesting Profile Eval for MBA 2023/2024 Intake. Thanks in advance for your time!

Sex: Female
Ethnicity: Southeast Asian (US Citizen, Immigrant, 1st Generation College)
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, Booth, Haas

GMAT
Not yet taken, aiming for 690-710

Academics:
-BS in Mechanical Engineering from HYPSM
-Theatre minor
-2.9 Cumulative GPA, downward trend (It’s my weakest area, I know... It was hard adjusting to college, I was dealing with depression... I plan to explain in optional essay)

-Executive Board Member at Diversity Group 1
-Community Engagement Chair at Diversity Group 2
-Part-time jobs
-Study abroad in Germany

Work Experience:
- 4 years in F100 Aerospace – Mechanical Engineer, Program Manager, Promoted 1x, Given Program-level award, $1-2million projects w/ international clients, process improvement initiatives saving company $500K
-Lead my office Employee Resource Group (ERG) focused on Community Engagement
- 1 year in FAANG – Mechanical Engineer, $50-70million projects

Extra Curriculars:
-Volunteer for national organization focused on Education enablement and College Prep for first-generation students of color - Teaching STEM classes, CS TA, resume workshops
-Ski instructor (2 years)

Goals:
-Short term: Work in Tech - Product Management or Operations
-Long Term: Expand my venture focused on Mental Health and Wellness, Head of Product at Tech company

Questions: harvard
-Other than GMAT, any other ways to mitigate my low undergrad GPA? Do you recommend HBX Core vs. re-taking college courses?
-Any other US B-schools you think would be a good fit?
I think you may have a challenge with your GPA and a GMAT that is on the lower side. It’s good that it came from a top university, but it’s still definitely on the low end, and your GMAT is slightly below average, as well. So the rest of your application will need to be outstanding to compensate. You may need additional experience at a very high level of achievement to apply to the top schools. Otherwise, they can find someone with a similar profile with higher stats. In terms of your GPA, I’d say the most effective thing would be to have a high GMAT to counterbalance it, so it might be worth investing your time in GMAT prep. I would look at schools where you are closer to the average GMAT.
Thanks so much for your feedback!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  30