Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:38 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]
mpurkayastha wrote:
If i had multiple promotions in one job, what is the best way to present that in a resume (4 promotions). Its taking up a lot of space and I want to consolidate

Thanks for your question. I would focus on the projects you have worked on (do not on separate for each promotion if it is in the same role). Quantify the results of your impact for your employer. General job description bullets are not needed. If a bullet would apply to anyone with the same title, omit it, or add an outcome specific to your performance. Use $ values of projects for scope and note any financial improvement that resulted from your work. If you come from a traditional MBA background such as consultant or analyst, assume the reader knows the basic responsibilities of your job. Only add outcomes, results, and measures that were unique to you; they know you performed due diligence – how did you do it better than others in your same position?
Yale Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29 (Online)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Name : Keerthana Balamurugan, 24yrs, Indian, Female, GMAT-720

UG: B.Tech IIT Roorkee, GPA: 4
WExp: 4 yrs, Senior Data Scientist (1 promotion) at Wipro (US$8.7 billion)
I delivered AI enabled services and helped clients, across 5 industries.

Community:
I lead a non-profit, with 1000+ women onboard, a online community, which is focused on women empowerment and is affiliated with an org founded by Sheryll Sandberg.
I am also part of another Non-profit as a mentor to senior year students.

Post MBA goals: Transition to Management Consulting and then move to sustainability consulting.

Target: Yale, Darden, Duke, Tuck, UCLA, Cornell.

In my professional job, my work revolved majorly around developing Proof of Concepts of which, most have not converted to full-fledged products where I could show my impact on business in $ millions or $ billions.

1) Is it okay to compensate this from my strong exp of leading a non-profit??

2) Also is it okay to highlight in the essay that I took up the nonprofit opportunity coz I felt that my job lacked the opportunity to help me explore any leadership skills??
Send PM
Expert Reply
sdash wrote:
My name is Shreyas , and I am 25 years. I would be applying for my MBA 2022-23.

GMAT :

700 +( yet to give the exam)

Educational Qualification: -

B.Tech- Instrumentation & Electronics – CGPA-8.55
•Class Representative of my batch.
•Merit Scholarship (The scholarship is rewarded to best 10 students from each branch on the basis of their CGPA)
2. 12th 2014 – 93%

3. 10th 2012 – CGPA – 10.00
•Merit Certificate Holder (Issued by CBSE for securing CGPA 10.00)

Work Experience: - (Exactly 2 years as on today)

Vedanta Limited- Control and instrumentation Maintenance Engineer (August 2018 – Dec 2019): -
•Started as an Assistant Manager.
•Lead a team of 12 members where work included maintenance and installation of devices which are used to manage and regulate processes and systems in power plant.
•Gold Category Award at Total Quality Management Competition from the company and runners up from the SBU for best innovation project.
(Through an internal job posting I switched to commercial and operations)
Vedanta Limited- Commercial- Procurements and Contracts (Dec 2019 – Aug 2020):
•Handled an annual spend base of ₹15 Crore
•Analysis of market trends and industry megatrends (technical, material & production), and develop a strategy for the future.
•Achieved 98% order fulfilment and 86% inventory planning accuracy.
(Due to a health issue I had to resign from the job)
Extra-Curricular Activities
1.Intercollege Volleyball Champion for year 2016 & 2017

2.Volunteered at various social service activities during college & also CSR activities at work
3.Convener of the College Photography club.

4.Currently learning Python, Data science and Artificial Intelligence.

Post MBA goals: The part of the job that excited me most was problem solving or looking at things from a strategic perspectives and presenting those findings to senior leaders. I want to transition to Leadership/Managerial roles in the Analytics Consulting.
Target: ISB, INSEAD MIM, WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management – MIM, NTU, NUS, HEC PARIS MIM, LBS MIM, Rotterdam MIM,
Questions ...?
1.I have exactly 2 years work ex and MIM programmes require a maximum of 2 years work experience. Do I stand a chance for the MIM colleges?
2.Also I have left my job since 2020. Currently I am learning Artificial Intelligence. Will it suffice to cover my gap year.?
3.Suggestions you want to give for my profile?
4.Any further colleges you want to suggest related to my profile?
I think you should be o
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8919 [0]
Given Kudos: 3038
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
We have around 10 more minutes left in this chat session
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
FortunaAdmissionsMJ, If I have a higher GMAT score around 760 compared to 740, would that compensate for the low GPA? I am giving more mocks and my score are reaching 760. Do you think it would matter much?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Next up sourav1995,
Send PM
Expert Reply
[quote="sdash"] you should be ok for the mim program but what is the start date? I would contact them directly as often it’s at time of th start of the program. That’s great you are learning AI. Is it a full time thing? jsut wondering why you aren’t working at same time? It could be an issue - really depends on how all consuming the course is - you would need to explain that for sure. overall, for most of the other mba’s, 2 years is on the very very low end of experience so I would wait another year or two if you can- especially for INSEAD (plus you will need int’l experience for this school). Averages are more like 5-6 years so it will be much more competitive for you to get in with just 2 years. But for the Mim’s should be fine - just need to check with each school. Great extracurriculars though and amazing you were champion in college!
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
MJ, Michel, please also take some time to tell us about Fortuna Admissions and the best way for the audience to reach out to you later if they have more questions :)
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ttd123 wrote:
Profile:
33 caucasin male

Extra Curricular:
Due to above noted health conditions I have not been able to pursue extra curricular activities while working full time (out of necessity to prioritize my health and work performance)
During undergrad I was a sport club president

Post MBA Goals:
As a team lead I learned that I would prefer to move to strategy and focus more on business aspects of energy sector
I want to move out of a technical role and am also interested in moving towards alternative energy industry
I want to move to a position where I can lead the energy transition and sit at the intersection of business, operations, and policy, and use my technical experience to lead in a practical manner

Target Schools:
MIT Sloan, Northwestern Kellogg, UC Berkeley Haas, Duke Fuqua, Texas McCombs
Plan to apply R1 to all four

Questions:
Does my health condition help to minimize the impact of the low GPA, also considering I did much better in the last few semesters when I got health under control?
Does the fact that I was forced back to an individual contributor role after being in leadership hurt me? How should I address this if so?
Does my age/years of experience hurt me? Part of the reason for waiting until now for MBA was also related to the health condition.
Generally, do you think my profile is competitive at these schools? What could make it stronger?

Thank you for sharing your profile. You are on the older side for full-time programs, but you have great work experience in the oil industry which I think many schools will find interesting and valuable to contribute your background and knowledge to their class. I would share your health condition and how it impacted your UG GPA (good to see improvement in last semesters). I think you are up front and honest with your role change at work (impact of the merger). Your extracurriculars are light so try to show what you enjoy doing outside of work and your personal qualities in the application. Possible add a few more schools in the top 25 to your list. Sloan, Kellogg and Haas are very competitive. Good luck!

Thanks for joining us today! Fortuna Admissions is an elite team of over 40 business school insiders, helping candidates all over the world gain admission to the world’s top MBA programs. To discuss your profile in more detail, please sign up for a free consultation on our website, https://fortunaadmissions.com/free_consult/

Originally posted by michelbelden on 16 Jun 2021, 11:00.
Last edited by michelbelden on 16 Jun 2021, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
We are out of time. If you have more questions or your profile questions didn’t get answered, please reach out to Fortuna Admissions

Thank you MJ and Michel for your time in this session :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Laxkar wrote:
Name - Himanshu
Indian, Male,31
GMAT- 760
Education- Bachelor of Engineering in IT
GPA- 66.2 % out of 100. But everyone was in range 20-80.
Work-experience- 4 years as a Business Analyst.(I have a career gap of 3 years.)
3 years at Accenture as a Business Analyst. My role was to serve as a bridge between Client and project
team, communicating with client and conveying the business needs to development team. So I guess, though my education is
that of an IT guy, but my work-experience has a business role, and that differetiates my from other IT guys.(Right?) Got
1 promotion at Accenture. Worked for 1 year at a start-up in a similar role.
Post MBA goal: Strategy Consulting at Big 4
No international work experience, but visited 7 countries.
Target colleges- Not sure.
Personal Story- I had to fight severe OCD, while all alone in Mumbai.Due to it, I had to take a break in my career.
It started right from the college and affected my GPA too. I alright now, but that has made me a fighter from within.
So, want to narrate my story around it.
Extra-curriculars: Done a lot of voluteer work at Art of Living(founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar). I joined it back in 2012
So, few questions:

1- Is my age going to be a negative factor as my work experience is 4 years only?
2- Which range of colleges should I target- top 10 or 10-20 or 20-30?
thanks for sharing your story and struggles. It would definitely be great to weave this throughout your narrative. Your age is on the high end with just 4 years experience but as long as you can tell your story, they can be forgiving. Though it is a very big gap. it will need to be clear what you did in that time and what you have learned, how you’ve grown and how you are excelling now. you gmat is amazing but gpa quite a bit low for top 10 so I would aim for 10-20’s. Perhaps even 1 or 2 20-30s. I would try to speak to admissions for some schools to get a better sense of what they think. All the best to you. I’m so glad you’ve fought through this and are doing well now. All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
FortunaAdmissionsMJ wrote:
I definitely think you have a strong application though with your GPA might be tricky at some of the M7. Always worth it go for some reach schools, but you may have better chances at haas, tepper and tuck. Best,
If I have a higher GMAT score around 760 compared to 740, would that compensate for the low GPA? I am giving more mocks and my score are reaching 760. Do you think it would matter much?
Intern
Intern
Schools: WHU MBA
GPA: 4
Send PM
FortunaAdmissionsMJ wrote:
sdash wrote:
you should be ok for the mim program but what is the start date? I would contact them directly as often it’s at time of th start of the program. That’s great you are learning AI. Is it a full time thing? jsut wondering why you aren’t working at same time? It could be an issue - really depends on how all consuming the course is - you would need to explain that for sure. overall, for most of the other mba’s, 2 years is on the very very low end of experience so I would wait another year or two if you can- especially for INSEAD (plus you will need int’l experience for this school). Averages are more like 5-6 years so it will be much more competitive for you to get in with just 2 years. But for the Mim’s should be fine - just need to check with each school. Great extracurriculars though and amazing you were champion in college!

Actually I had a major health issue. I am under physiotherapy sessions. That’s why I decided to learn AI to utilize the time and not be stagnant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Request a response
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your time today
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
My question went unanswered I believe
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GPA: 2.92
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]
dc

Originally posted by rafaM24 on 16 Jun 2021, 11:09.
Last edited by rafaM24 on 18 Jul 2021, 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19  ...  30