Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
srinjoy1990 wrote:
HI Sameer,

I would appreciate you help in evaluating my profile.

GMAT1 : 650 Q48 V32. (Pretty depressed could not finish either section in time guessed 4/5 in each section).

<<snip>>

Please advice some of the colleges where I could apply to.

Thanks, Srinjoy.

Dear Srinjoy,

Consider the following points:

1. The profile contours are a bit sketchy. You've not talked about your undergrad and GPA. Those matter a LOT more than your school level performance/activities (which can be nearly irrelevant) for MBA applications. So do share those.
  2. The work arc, and especially the move to pre-sales is encouraging. Here too, the brand of your employer as well as work related achievements will dictate the relative strength of the profile, especially given the highly competitive pool of applicants you belong to.
  3. It is not clear if your ECs were in school or college. If there isn't anything on this front after college, this could be a blind spot worth being aware of.
  4. On the GMAT front, it is strongly recommended you consider a retake. This is even more relevant since there seems to be a clear reason why it went the way it did. The current score can make things really tough when it comes to good schools.
  5. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. But work on some of the things outlined above before you start there.

Hope this helps some.

Hi Manish,

Updated the points you mentioned, please go through them as well. I would really appreciate if you could suggest me some colleges where I could apply and which would be appropriate for the jobs I am looking for post MBA. I mostly interested in Marketing / Sales.

Thanks. I got in touch with some of the seniors in grad schools. They all opined that I retake, since I have 3 months to go for the R1 to start for most colleges and since, I could not finish either section, they suggested that there is high possibility to improve my score by at least a few points. So most probably will retake.

Tx, Srinjoy.
Director
Director
Send PM
srinjoy1990 wrote:
Hi Manish,

Updated the points you mentioned, please go through them as well. I would really appreciate if you could suggest me some colleges where I could apply and which would be appropriate for the jobs I am looking for post MBA. I mostly interested in Marketing / Sales.

Thanks. I got in touch with some of the seniors in grad schools. They all opined that I retake, since I have 3 months to go for the R1 to start for most colleges and since, I could not finish either section, they suggested that there is high possibility to improve my score by at least a few points. So most probably will retake.

Tx, Srinjoy.

The details look pretty good Srinjoy. Not sure if you read the link I shared, but speculating on schools is not something we do. Plus, a big part of the puzzle (GMAT) is still open.

The articles here and here may help some.

Once you have a score, feel free to get back to us.

All the best!
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA Rankings for USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Australia, India and other countries in the world

Here is a list of b-schools that have ranked among the top 50 MBA programs in at least one of the ranking schemes of the Financial Times, The Economist, or the QS Global 200 Business Schools, arranged geographically

Read more
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
Life2019 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MILR from Cornell University. However, I have listed a few more programs for backup though I’m interested only in MILR, Cornell University.

Programs Interested in: Full-time MBA / MS or Specialized Masters in HR
1. Tier-1 Schools

>>snip

Will I have to retake the GMAT or my present score is competitive enough?

Thanking in advance :)

Thanks for the detailed note Life2019. Consider the following points:
  1. Your profile looks pretty diverse overall. The association with consulting as well as government initiatives can be showcased really well. The recent work around Talent Acq and the likes is definitely in the broader spectrum of HR so I wouldn't completely negate it.
  2. While am sure you'd have done your research, but in general, HR roles are pretty tough to break into for international grads even after specialized programs such as these. The situation will be tougher given lack of direct experience in your case. Besides, most/lot of these programs are designed for those with 0-2 years of experience ideally which would make you a bit of an outlier (?).
  3. In light of above, while I don't see a big hurdle (with a revised score) in your application attempt, I'd suggest doing extensive research to ensure you have assessed the pitfalls outlined. IR scores are still not considered by most programs; but best to double check once with your target schools/programs.

Hope this sparks some more relevant questions.

Cheers,

Thanks Manish for your reply.
I have spoken to 3-4 alumni/present students from MILR, Cornell University who have also done their 1st MBA/PGDM(HR) from India before pursuing MILR, Cornell.
Most of these students come with (0-10) years of experience excluding their Indian Education (Bachelors + Masters). I have tried to seek answers to almost all concerns/queries which had cropped up during my research wrt my career goals wrt the program.
Please let me know MBACrystalBall contact details to speak to you directly and proceed ahead. I was keen on applying for the Spring entry - 15th October deadline. Thanks :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Life2019 wrote:
Thanks Manish for your reply.
I have spoken to 3-4 alumni/present students from MILR, Cornell University who have also done their 1st MBA/PGDM(HR) from India before pursuing MILR, Cornell.
Most of these students come with (0-10) years of experience excluding their Indian Education (Bachelors + Masters). I have tried to seek answers to almost all concerns/queries which had cropped up during my research wrt my career goals wrt the program.
Please let me know MBACrystalBall contact details to speak to you directly and proceed ahead. I was keen on applying for the Spring entry - 15th October deadline. Thanks :)

Great stuff on the research, exactly what you should do, more so given the uncommon program.

Our contact details are in my signature below. So feel free to reach out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Realizing the popularity of STEM programs among international applicants, bschools have started offering STEM MBA programs.

Read more here:
Top STEM MBA Programs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I am trying for admission in a executive MBA program in the year 2020. I am yet to appear for the GMAT exam (planning to schedule GMAT exam around Jan, 2019 end).
Could you please advice me on the executive MBA programs in Finance based on my profile and the time constraints. Here is my profile:

10th (ICSE) - 81%
12 (CBSE) - 62%
B.E. (M.S. Ramaiah Institute Of Technology, Bangalore) - CGPA 7.75
Work Experience = 8 years (completes in Dec-2019). Domain: Insurance and Banking (8 years). Companies: IT Service companies and Investment Banks. Location: India

GMAT - yet to appear for the test. Planning to give the test by Jan-2019 end. Hoping to score somewhere between 650 - 700 based on the current prep.

The application deadlines are fast approaching. Need to understand which all universities can be targeted. Need to finalize a list of 10 best universities globally (Canada, France, UK, Germany, Australia, US) based on the above profile and time.
Director
Director
Send PM
shashank.dba@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
I am trying for admission in a executive MBA program in the year 2020. I am yet to appear for the GMAT exam (planning to schedule GMAT exam around Jan, 2019 end).
Could you please advice me on the executive MBA programs in Finance based on my profile and the time constraints. Here is my profile:

<<snip>>

The application deadlines are fast approaching. Need to understand which all universities can be targeted. Need to finalize a list of 10 best universities globally (Canada, France, UK, Germany, Australia, US) based on the above profile and time.

Consider the following points shashank.dba@gmail.com:
  1. The profile contours sound ok. However, it would be important to understand the actual nature of your work and accomplishments therein. Are you in the IT side or the fin/insurance side (business) side of things for instance?
  2. It seems you have the nomenclature confusions explained here?
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That being said, push harder on the GMAT front. At a 700 level, it could be really tough to target the top league programs.
  4. Anything on the ECs front? Read here as to why they matter.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi
Will you kindly review my profile for mit Sloan supply chain management program
I'm 32
Indian male
10th 72%
12th 72%
Engineering in metallurgy 76%
GMAT 700 q47,v39,ir 3, awa 5

Work experience
6 months in IBM basically was in to software testing ,
9 years 6 months in steel authority of India Ltd , operations manager at continuous casting shop
Major achievements
Increased the productivity of bloom casters by 20%
Played an important role in transformation of casters from manual to level 2 automation
Improved the quality of products by 13%

I wish to do an MBA in supply chain to further enhance my operational background

My hobbies are playing cricket

Director
Director
Send PM
vijyband99 wrote:
Hi
Will you kindly review my profile for mit Sloan supply chain management program
I'm 32
Indian male

<<snip>>

My hobbies are playing cricket

A few thoughts and questions for you vijyband99:

1. The basic profile details sound good. However, it would be important to understand the kind of career acceleration you have had - could be a slightly tough thing given the PSU setting. Think hard about how you'll showcase differentiation.
  2. While the GMAT is not a deal breaker, it could be a slight hurdle as the Indian average can be pretty high and also, given your non-tier 1 (?) undergrad. What deadlines are you targeting?
  3. The post-MBA goal has to be a lot sharper. Read here.
  4. Another couple of articles here and here that would be worth reading.

Hope this helps some.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA in Finance: USA, Canada, Germany, India, UK, Singapore, Australia

Here is a compendium of b-schools across multiple geographies that are known for their prowess in the Finance world. The post includes an overview of eligibility requirements, syllabus, jobs and life after MBA.

Read more
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA after 8 years experience: Student life in UK

We present the story of Manureet - her experience, right from applying to her time at Oxford Said, and beyond.

In her words "An MBA prepares you to head the overall organisation, giving you knowledge about each functional unit within the organisation. In the shorter term, it equips you with the skillset to become a cross functional, or general manager"

Read more
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA strategy when GMAT score is less than the class average

We present the story of Shouvik - how he jousted with the GMAT beast, didn't quite tame it but still managed to make it.

In his words "GMAT is an important part of one’s overall application but certainly not the “only” decisive factor."

Read more
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 6.47/10
Degree: BE Computer Science
Experience:5 year
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile:

Work for a PR company as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh

As Entrepreneur:
Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen which serve 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000

Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work in big PR for consultancy Firm.

Long term: Want to start a company.

Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Please tell me which college i should prefer?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: from 2016-now

Work for Konsole Group (PR company) as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh

As Entrepreneur:
Co Founder of Mr Tiffin (2014-16)
( Currently holding only 10% stake)

Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen which serve 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000

Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work for Company like Google

Long term: Want to start a company.

Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Please tell me which college i should prefer

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
Zishanuddin wrote:

<<snip>>

Please tell me which college i should prefer

Zishanuddin, thanks for posting your profile. Here are a few reflections on it:
  1. The academic profile is on the weaker side. Low GPA does matter. Be totally transparent in explaining the nature of the problem in your optional essay. Overall though, this could be a slight drag and the GMAT could help to a certain extent only on this front.
  2. The professional profile, especially the startup experience, looks good. You will have to articulate the impact of your current stint in a much more powerful manner, since it appears to be quite promising but not done enough justice with.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection chances. That being said, it would help to develop a lot more clarity and granularity in your post-MBA plans. Only Google doesn't say much/anything.
  4. The ECs arc sounds interesting. It would however be good to explain it further - how do you help drivers? In a personal capacity? Semi-formal means, etc.

Hope this helps some. Do reach out directly to us for more help.

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  41