GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 02:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 03:13
Life2019 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MILR from Cornell University. However, I have listed a few more programs for backup though I’m interested only in MILR, Cornell University.

Programs Interested in: Full-time MBA / MS or Specialized Masters in HR
1. Tier-1 Schools

>>snip

Will I have to retake the GMAT or my present score is competitive enough?

Thanking in advance :)

Thanks for the detailed note Life2019. Consider the following points:
  1. Your profile looks pretty diverse overall. The association with consulting as well as government initiatives can be showcased really well. The recent work around Talent Acq and the likes is definitely in the broader spectrum of HR so I wouldn't completely negate it.
  2. While am sure you'd have done your research, but in general, HR roles are pretty tough to break into for international grads even after specialized programs such as these. The situation will be tougher given lack of direct experience in your case. Besides, most/lot of these programs are designed for those with 0-2 years of experience ideally which would make you a bit of an outlier (?).
  3. In light of above, while I don't see a big hurdle (with a revised score) in your application attempt, I'd suggest doing extensive research to ensure you have assessed the pitfalls outlined. IR scores are still not considered by most programs; but best to double check once with your target schools/programs.

Hope this sparks some more relevant questions.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 May 2018, 01:32
HI Sameer,

I would appreciate you help in evaluating my profile.

GMAT1 : 650 Q48 V32. (Pretty depressed could not finish either section in time guessed 4/5 in each section).

Region : Mostly India and Europe / Asia.

Education:

X : 88.75 (State Board).
XII : 84.7 (State Board).
Undergraduate : 85% (State university / Bachelor Of Technology)

Background :

1. 4 Years in IT consulting in one of the top 10 consulting companies.
2. 2 Years in Pre Sales in one of the top 10 enterprise product development company.

Work Profile:

1. IT Consulting: Mostly worked as developer. Joined as a fresher, worked all the way up to Senior Engineer in 4 Years (3 Designations). Have some work related certifications. I ended my tenure as "Module Lead".

2.Pre Sales Consultant : Most of the time spent in Evangelizing products in events (liasoning with Product Management)/ Creating prototype applications / Partner sessions with customer (may be other IT consulting organizations) / Responding to Technical RFx's. Some members of my team are MBA grads from top Indian colleges / Abroad Colleges, so it was an unique exposure for me. I got to know how they think on tackling a particular problem. Really helped my understanding of business challenges over the 2 years.

Awards and Accolades :

Studies:

1. National Scholarship for class 12 results (State board).
2. School Scholarship for class 10 results.

Work:
1. 3 Awards (2 individual / 1 team) in 4 years in my first organization.
2. 2 Promotions in 4 years.
3. Promoted within 2 years in my new company (Won major deals including the largest deal of 2017 for PaaS)

Reasons for awards :

Old Company.

1. Developed a KPI calculation tool : This is still used now. (Cumulative Work Ex : 3 months)
2. Critical Release : Single handedly managed a critical release for the organization for my application. The release was deemed so complicated that a "no go" was certain to result in the company losing the project. Got high visibility inside (upto Managing Director). Outside the company worked with the product development company to get the severe issue fixed. (Made some friends there as well). (Cumulative Work Ex : 2 Years)
3. Team Award : Won team award for data migration project. We migrated some 4-5 Million customers in 4-5 Months.

New Company :

After a working for 4 years, I decided that I wanted to do something more (I always wanted a Marketing job having seen my dad over the years). I had other development offers as well, but instead decided to move to pre sales (the same product development organization mentioned in point 2). I always wanted to know "how we bring projects / deals", additionally, I already knew how post sales consulting worked in IT. I somehow felt this completed my work experience (and it did / I now have a complete picture right from lead generation / opportunities to project delivery ). Anyways thought of giving it a try.

Results :
1. Won one of the largest the PaaS deals. Worked directly with the customer (Head of UX / Chief Architect) / Sales Representative, working on their requirements, developing prototype application, evangelizing our solutions.
2. Member of India Product Launch Event : My Solution was showcased in the Product Launch.
3. Won the first ever deal for the new product in ANZ.
4. All the above lead to promotion within 1.5 Years (Nomination in 1 Year 2 Months).

Extracurricular :

After College (There isn't much):

1. Competitive coder (75%ile in Algorithms Hacker Rank). Top 10 Percent Coders 2017 (Hacker Earth) [Dont know if they are relevant here/ Its kind of my hobby I really like life problem solving].
2. Passionate about music. Electric Guitar player.
4. Avid Football Follower. (Manchester United official Fan).
3. Participated in some CSR activities.

College:

1. Played E sports (semi professional level) / Stood third in college tech fest.
2. Member of Organizing committee of Fest.

School:

1. Represented School in a school level Music competition, aired live on television.

I would like to apply for colleges mostly in India / Asia / Europe (Netherlands / Germany).

Reasons For MBA :

I got addicted to customer facing roles after my new job.

I want to augment my profile. I want to move to Product management (Having worked with numerous product managers / I like their work and I feel it's kind of similar to what I do on a daily basis) / Business Development (We work with them everyday) or Inside Sales Strategy (This is something which I like most). I like the IT product industry. So most probably wont switch industries.

As Simon Sinek states "Start with Why", I indeed I started with why, but got stuck at "How". This made me realize that its time to address the "HOW!". In order for me to address the "How", I need some additional skill sets, which I currently lack, that are precisely the things taught in top management institutions in case studies. So for me it is mostly, acquiring additional skill sets to be relevant in the jobs I want to do. I have worked closely with most of the targeted jobs so know how they function and what are the challenges involved in each function.

Please advice some of the colleges where I could apply to.

Thanks, Srinjoy.

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Originally posted by srinjoy1990 on 19 May 2018, 03:56.
Last edited by srinjoy1990 on 21 May 2018, 01:32, edited 15 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 21:13
srinjoy1990 wrote:
HI Sameer,

GMAT1 : 650 Q48 V32. (Pretty depressed could not finish either section in time guessed 4/5 in each section).

<<snip>>

Thanks, Srinjoy.

Dear Srinjoy,

Consider the following points:

1. The profile contours are a bit sketchy. You've not talked about your undergrad and GPA. Those matter a LOT more than your school level performance/activities (which can be nearly irrelevant) for MBA applications. So do share those.
  2. The work arc, and especially the move to pre-sales is encouraging. Here too, the brand of your employer as well as work related achievements will dictate the relative strength of the profile, especially given the highly competitive pool of applicants you belong to.
  3. It is not clear if your ECs were in school or college. If there isn't anything on this front after college, this could be a blind spot worth being aware of.
  4. On the GMAT front, it is strongly recommended you consider a retake. This is even more relevant since there seems to be a clear reason why it went the way it did. The current score can make things really tough when it comes to good schools.
  5. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. But work on some of the things outlined above before you start there.

Hope this helps some.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 23:59
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
srinjoy1990 wrote:
HI Sameer,

<<snip>>

Thanks, Srinjoy.

Dear Srinjoy,

Consider the following points:

1. The profile contours are a bit sketchy. You've not talked about your undergrad and GPA. Those matter a LOT more than your school level performance/activities (which can be nearly irrelevant) for MBA applications. So do share those.
  2. The work arc, and especially the move to pre-sales is encouraging. Here too, the brand of your employer as well as work related achievements will dictate the relative strength of the profile, especially given the highly competitive pool of applicants you belong to.
  3. It is not clear if your ECs were in school or college. If there isn't anything on this front after college, this could be a blind spot worth being aware of.
  4. On the GMAT front, it is strongly recommended you consider a retake. This is even more relevant since there seems to be a clear reason why it went the way it did. The current score can make things really tough when it comes to good schools.
  5. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. But work on some of the things outlined above before you start there.

Hope this helps some.

Hi Manish,

Updated the points you mentioned, please go through them as well. I would really appreciate if you could suggest me some colleges where I could apply and which would be appropriate for the jobs I am looking for post MBA. I mostly interested in Marketing / Sales.

Thanks. I got in touch with some of the seniors in grad schools. They all opined that I retake, since I have 3 months to go for the R1 to start for most colleges and since, I could not finish either section, they suggested that there is high possibility to improve my score by at least a few points. So most probably will retake.

Tx, Srinjoy.

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 21:36
srinjoy1990 wrote:
Hi Manish,

Updated the points you mentioned, please go through them as well. I would really appreciate if you could suggest me some colleges where I could apply and which would be appropriate for the jobs I am looking for post MBA. I mostly interested in Marketing / Sales.

Thanks. I got in touch with some of the seniors in grad schools. They all opined that I retake, since I have 3 months to go for the R1 to start for most colleges and since, I could not finish either section, they suggested that there is high possibility to improve my score by at least a few points. So most probably will retake.

Tx, Srinjoy.

The details look pretty good Srinjoy. Not sure if you read the link I shared, but speculating on schools is not something we do. Plus, a big part of the puzzle (GMAT) is still open.

The articles here and here may help some.

Once you have a score, feel free to get back to us.

All the best!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 22:10
MBA Rankings for USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Australia, India and other countries in the world

Here is a list of b-schools that have ranked among the top 50 MBA programs in at least one of the ranking schemes of the Financial Times, The Economist, or the QS Global 200 Business Schools, arranged geographically

Read more

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 23:33
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
Life2019 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MILR from Cornell University. However, I have listed a few more programs for backup though I’m interested only in MILR, Cornell University.

Programs Interested in: Full-time MBA / MS or Specialized Masters in HR
1. Tier-1 Schools

>>snip

Will I have to retake the GMAT or my present score is competitive enough?

Thanking in advance :)

Thanks for the detailed note Life2019. Consider the following points:
  1. Your profile looks pretty diverse overall. The association with consulting as well as government initiatives can be showcased really well. The recent work around Talent Acq and the likes is definitely in the broader spectrum of HR so I wouldn't completely negate it.
  2. While am sure you'd have done your research, but in general, HR roles are pretty tough to break into for international grads even after specialized programs such as these. The situation will be tougher given lack of direct experience in your case. Besides, most/lot of these programs are designed for those with 0-2 years of experience ideally which would make you a bit of an outlier (?).
  3. In light of above, while I don't see a big hurdle (with a revised score) in your application attempt, I'd suggest doing extensive research to ensure you have assessed the pitfalls outlined. IR scores are still not considered by most programs; but best to double check once with your target schools/programs.

Hope this sparks some more relevant questions.

Cheers,

Thanks Manish for your reply.
I have spoken to 3-4 alumni/present students from MILR, Cornell University who have also done their 1st MBA/PGDM(HR) from India before pursuing MILR, Cornell.
Most of these students come with (0-10) years of experience excluding their Indian Education (Bachelors + Masters). I have tried to seek answers to almost all concerns/queries which had cropped up during my research wrt my career goals wrt the program.
Please let me know MBACrystalBall contact details to speak to you directly and proceed ahead. I was keen on applying for the Spring entry - 15th October deadline. Thanks :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 23:44
Life2019 wrote:
Thanks Manish for your reply.
I have spoken to 3-4 alumni/present students from MILR, Cornell University who have also done their 1st MBA/PGDM(HR) from India before pursuing MILR, Cornell.
Most of these students come with (0-10) years of experience excluding their Indian Education (Bachelors + Masters). I have tried to seek answers to almost all concerns/queries which had cropped up during my research wrt my career goals wrt the program.
Please let me know MBACrystalBall contact details to speak to you directly and proceed ahead. I was keen on applying for the Spring entry - 15th October deadline. Thanks :)

Great stuff on the research, exactly what you should do, more so given the uncommon program.

Our contact details are in my signature below. So feel free to reach out.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 04:01
Realizing the popularity of STEM programs among international applicants, bschools have started offering STEM MBA programs.

Read more here:
Top STEM MBA Programs

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball &nbs [#permalink] 09 Nov 2018, 04:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   [ 689 posts ] 

Ask MBA Crystal Ball

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap