GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Jan 2020, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 22:45
I may be wrong here, but i'm pretty certain all other answer choices but E lead to some sort of run-on issue. E comes off as a noun modifier.

I didn't see this at first, but it was the only thing that really made it clear why answers A to D are wrong.
G
Re: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 16:21
A lot of folks are incorrectly stating that "that" is incorrect or redundant after "one." While there are certainly forms that allow us to skip "that," it's not incorrect here. We can say "one that they believe" or "one that they believe," depending on whether our meaning seems clear enough without the "that." "One" is a pronoun here, but it works just the way a noun does, and we can modify it the way we'd modify any noun.

A few examples:

I shared a poem that I believed was masterfully written. (Here, "that" helps to make it immediately clear that I believed something about the poem, rather than that I believed the poem itself. This is a common reason to include "that" or "who/whom.")
I shared several poems, including one that I believed was masterfully written.
I met many people that day, but there was one person I couldn't forget. ("That," or better yet, "whom," wouldn't be wrong here, but the meaning is 100% clear as is.)
Sitting across from me was a person I had believed to be dead.
Sitting across from me was a person whom I had believed was dead. (This second version feels clunkier. Although the "whom" makes it clear that I will be describing my belief, rather than saying I believed the person, the meaning was already fairly clear in the first version. I think some of the awkwardness comes from the switch from past perfect--had believed--to simple past--was. Although this switch is correct, it creates more work for the reader than the previous version, with its time-independent use of "to be.")

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 14:02
Dear EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Below is similar question from OG https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-world-wi ... 03470.html in which C is correct.
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

By a similar logic, I think it should be (A) for the question: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

I am very confused.
Could you please shed some light on this?

Thank you very much!
Tracy
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 17:46
Tracy95 wrote:
Dear EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Below is similar question from OG https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-world-wi ... 03470.html in which C is correct.
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

By a similar logic, I think it should be (A) for the question: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

I am very confused.
Could you please shed some light on this?

Thank you very much!
Tracy

Thanks for your question, Tracy95! Make sure that you go back to each of these questions and look over the official explanations in the "Spoiler" section.

For this question, option A has a couple problems, as outlined in the official explanation:

1. It has an extra pronoun "that," which doesn't need to be there because "one" already covers it.
2. It doesn't have the "of" it needs to convey the correct meaning. Since the sentence is talking about "one of a type" we need to keep the "of."

Since these two sentences are a bit different, they will need different things for the correct answer. If you have any other questions, feel free to tag me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal or send a message!

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE: Operations (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2019, 21:10
Use of that? one already works as pronoun, use of that is not required.
“Believe + to be” is correct construction
A B out
C that it is – one is already used as a pronoun therefore it here is redundant
D unidiomatic. That follows verb believe, this type of construction indicates start of new subject verb.
S+V THAT S+V However in this choice the construction is incorrect.
E CORRECT: they believe to be of a type
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2019, 21:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics