Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Ivey '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Send PM
At wits end..where to go? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I can give you a tip to improve your score.... actually to guarantee improvement of your score. It is completely fail-safe.... but it is not easy. You are correct that you are paying for the sins of your youth and neglecting math or missing a day of math in the 7th grade or something silly like that, and since math builds on itself, missing a small but foundational element is catastrophic. So the tip would be - you need to embrace and get to love Math.

As long as you see it as your enemy and something you hate or something you have to "beat", you will have a hard time succeeding. You need to figure out how to change your attitude and start liking math and become confident. That's it.... about how to do it, that depends on a few things but don't focus on that yet, just imagine the life-long benefits - you will master something you struggled with for 10+ years! It will become your strength instead of being a weakness. You can write at least 3 different essays for bschool applications and show Q33 to prove your improvement :-) and learn an extremely valuable skill and ability - you will gain a formula how to overcome a weakness and accomplish what currently looks remotely possible... anyway, I think you have a lot of reasons to fall in love with math. Can you commit to it?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: At wits end..where to go? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
I can give you a tip to improve your score.... actually to guarantee improvement of your score. It is completely fail-safe.... but it is not easy. You are correct that you are paying for the sins of your youth and neglecting math or missing a day of math in the 7th grade or something silly like that, and since math builds on itself, missing a small but foundational element is catastrophic. So the tip would be - you need to embrace and get to love Math.

As long as you see it as your enemy and something you hate or something you have to "beat", you will have a hard time succeeding. You need to figure out how to change your attitude and start liking math and become confident. That's it.... about how to do it, that depends on a few things but don't focus on that yet, just imagine the life-long benefits - you will master something you struggled with for 10+ years! It will become your strength instead of being a weakness. You can write at least 3 different essays for bschool applications and show Q33 to prove your improvement :-) and learn an extremely valuable skill and ability - you will gain a formula how to overcome a weakness and accomplish what currently looks remotely possible... anyway, I think you have a lot of reasons to fall in love with math. Can you commit to it?

You're right bb, if I enjoyed the math I'd be an ace lol.
I've definitely improved my math in terms of just thinking an estimating, I still make algebraic errors and simple computational mistakes.
I have the entire MGMAT set of books, I thought hitting the books from guide 1-5(quant) and the SC would be something that will help.
However, would you have any idea as to how to use them most effectively?
Should I make notes for each chapter and do each question and maintain an error log? I've already made notes for most of these books lol
Is there another way you think will help?
Maybe reading through chapters, noting my takeaways and attempting the problem set? Then same day practice random OG questions with an error log?

I'm committing, just need my exact next steps!
Thanks a lot for your response and this forum.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Today I completed 3 essays for my application to one of my school's, short and to the point.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I gave you my suggestion to improve. I am not seeing other options to get to a score you are looking to get.... at the same time if you think going through the MGMAT books and then doing random OG questions is going to cut it, sure - be my guest. A lot easier and can probably be done in a few weeks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
I gave you my suggestion to improve. I am not seeing other options to get to a score you are looking to get.... at the same time if you think going through the MGMAT books and then doing random OG questions is going to cut it, sure - be my guest. A lot easier and can probably be done in a few weeks.

I think you're right that I have to enjoy this process, I won't be doing this forever. I'll look back one day and want to say, that was tough but I got it done, and then laugh about it.
I also think that after spending over $7k on the test I'm just trying to understand my next steps so I can meet deadlines, it's a tough spot to be in and I have to work my butt off.
One of things I will do every day is wake up and write on my board, enjoy the process, you can do it!!!!!
It's a small step but I think it'll help in creating a positive relationship with studying.
As for content was there something you think would be the best way forward?
I read the Q44 to 50 post, and in that I see that nailing down concepts and minimizing careless errors is the only way up.
I think the best way to achieve those is by bulk practice and commitment to each and every question I get wrong, noting my takeaway on why I got it won't and how I'll get it right next time.
That being said I already know I'm not super comfortable with some word problems and even algebra, hence why I thought that start at ground 0.
Conversely, I see that Math Revolution has a 1 month course which is reviewed quite well and focuses on Quant. I checked TTP and found their format very detailed, maybe something I can commit to?
Thanks again for replying, your knowledge and experience is highly appreciated.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:

This is what I've decided:
1) Everyday I wake up to my whiteboard and write something positive about this process on it, before I do anything else.
2) MGMAT Quant Guides 1-5, do roughly 1 Guide in 2-3 Days
3) I've purchased the GMAT Club Quant Test Pack and will use it's feature to test by skills based on the MGMAT guides I've completed. This will be everyday, 15 Questions in Quant a day, with HEAVY review on incorrect.
4) Every chapter, question, example that I make a mistake on I note it down in my TAKEAWAYS sheet. Where I'm making note of where I went wrong, why and what to do next time to fix it. Even if there are repeat errors, all will be logged super thoroughly, hoping that will reinforce better behaviour for repeated mistakes.
5) At the end of Quant review, complete GMATPrep test and see where I stand.
Thoughts?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
JourneyToTheTop wrote:
bb wrote:

1) Everyday I wake up to my whiteboard and write something positive about this process on it, before I do anything else.
3) I've purchased the GMAT Club Quant Test Pack and will use it's feature to test by skills based on the MGMAT guides I've completed. This will be everyday, 15 Questions in Quant a day, with HEAVY review on incorrect.
4) Every chapter, question, example that I make a mistake on I note it down in my TAKEAWAYS sheet. Where I'm making note of where I went wrong, why and what to do next time to fix it. Even if there are repeat errors, all will be logged super thoroughly, hoping that will reinforce better behaviour for repeated mistakes.
Thoughts?

You seem to be doing the same thing again and again while expecting different results. You know what is not working - find a different way then. You need to check out your practice questions and find out exactly why you are making mistakes - do you not understand the concepts, or do you make mistakes in basic calculations because of lack of practice, or do you struggle to apply concepts you know to advanced questions?
Each case needs to be tackled differently.
If you do not understand the concepts, then a GMAT curriculum of Quant would help.
If you make mistakes due to lack of practice, picking up a high school book and practicing all questions out of it would help.
If applying the concepts to trickier questions is the trouble, then discussions on advanced concepts would be helpful (for this, you can check out our blog: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/catego ... om/page/9/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
JourneyToTheTop wrote:
bb wrote:

Thoughts?

You seem to be doing the same thing again and again while expecting different results. You know what is not working - find a different way then. You need to check out your practice questions and find out exactly why you are making mistakes - do you not understand the concepts, or do you make mistakes in basic calculations because of lack of practice, or do you struggle to apply concepts you know to advanced questions?
Each case needs to be tackled differently.
If you do not understand the concepts, then a GMAT curriculum of Quant would help.
If you make mistakes due to lack of practice, picking up a high school book and practicing all questions out of it would help.
If applying the concepts to trickier questions is the trouble, then discussions on advanced concepts would be helpful (for this, you can check out our blog: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/catego ... om/page/9/

Thanks for the response, appreciate the feedback.
I think what is missing is consistent practice, without any corners cut. I ALWAYS cut corners in my earlier prep, it's the reason I'm stuck. I thought attending courses, having a tutor would increase the score with minimal effort from me. Boy was I was wrong. Now comes my consistency.
I'll stay consistent, I think the materials are sufficient.

Appreciate your input and will check out your link, thanks!
GMAT Club Bot