It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Barnes: The two newest employees at this company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 492 [2], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Barnes: The two newest employees at this company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:21) correct 39% (01:21) wrong based on 702 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Barnes: The two newest employees at this company have salaries that are too high for the simple tasks normally assigned to new employees and duties that are too complex for inexperienced workers. Hence, the salaries and the complexity of the duties of these two newest employees should be reduced.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Barnes's argument depends?

(A) The duties of the two newest employees are not less complex than any others in the company.
(B) It is because of the complex duties assigned that the two newest employees are being paid more than is usually paid to newly hired employees.
(C) The two newest employees are not experienced at their occupations.
(D) Barnes was not hired at a higher-than-average starting salary.
(E) The salaries of the two newest employees are no higher than the salaries that other companies pay for workers with a similar level of experience.

Source: PowerScore CR Bible

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I've just got stuck on this one, may be some of the experts could shed light on the reasoning behind the correct answer. Thanks in advance !

Did you like the question ? Please don't forget - Kudo's are the best way to thank !
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Last edited by BrainLab on 08 Feb 2015, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 492 [2], given: 200

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Barnes: The two newest employees at this company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 05:53
What the argument says ?

2 new employees have a) Salaries which are very high for simple tasks assigned to new employees
b) They have been given duties which are normally meant for experienced people.

Based on which he says their salaries and complexity of the tasks should both be reduced , what Barnes assumes is that the new employees are newbies and not experienced people . Example : If i have recently shifted a job to a new company i will be a new employee there but i do have past experience which deems me to get complex tasks and a higher salary .

Coming back to the choices

(A) The duties of the two newest employees are not less complex than any others in the company. Explanation : Not relevant since other companies are not taken into account
(B) It is because of the complex duties assigned that the two newest employees are being paid more than is usually paid to newly hired employees.
Even if this is assumed it does not help to bridge the gap of the conclusion i.e reduction in their salary
(C) The two newest employees are not experienced at their occupations. Clearly nails the answer choice .
(D) Barnes was not hired at a higher-than-average starting salary. We are not concerned about Barnes
(E) The salaries of the two newest employees are no higher than the salaries that other companies pay for workers with a similar level of experience.
We are not considering other companies here

Answer is C

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 41

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6107 [3], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Barnes: The two newest employees at this company have salaries that are too high for the simple
tasks normally assigned to new employees and duties that are too complex for inexperienced
workers. Hence, the salaries and the complexity of the duties of these two newest employees
should be reduced.

(A) The duties of the two newest employees are not less complex than any others in the company.
there is no comparison on complexity of tasks, ..there may be experienced people with much more complex duties..... so out
it is easy to get swayed by this choice.. Barnes does say that they are being given high salaries and are doing complex duties but does not show that both are connected. it can be that they are just getting higher salaries for timings, working conditions or just like that
barnes does assume that they are not experienced as he states that they have been given duties that are complex for inexperienced workers.. so correct
this has no relation with the argument
there is no comparison with other companies..

ans C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6107 [3], given: 121

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18038 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 18:33
1. Salary paid is too high compared to what is paid to the other new employees with normal tasks
2. Tasks assigned are too complex for the normal inexperienced workers.

There can be an Alternate reasoning that 2 new employees are EXPERIENCED.

But BARNES has reached a CONCLUSION that both the SALARY and the COMPLEXITY of the job SHOULD BE REDUCED

ASSUMPTION: SO BARNES' ASSUMPTION is that the 2 NEW EMPLOYEES are INEXPERIENCED

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18038 [0], given: 1990

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 16:04
The argument concludes that: the salaries and the complexity of the duties of these two newest employees should be reduced.
The basis for this:
- There are 2 new workers.
- Their starting salaires are too high for new employees. --> should be reduced.
- Their tasks are too complex for inexperienced employees. --> should be reduced.
==> The gap between the 2 new workers & inexperienced employees.
C fills the gap.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 02:59
In options A comparison to other workers of the company makes this a out of scope option and thus incorrect
Similarly in option E comparison to other companies makes this a out of scope option and thus incorrect
In option D Barnes salary is discussed which has no relation with the given argument and thus incorrect
option B is partially true option which may or may not be true
If we negate option C then the conclusion completely falls apart
correct choice - C

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 04:34
BrainLab wrote:
Barnes: The two newest employees at this company have salaries that are too high for the simple tasks normally assigned to new employees and duties that are too complex for inexperienced workers. Hence, the salaries and the complexity of the duties of these two newest employees should be reduced.

Source: PowerScore CR Bible

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I've just got stuck on this one, may be some of the experts could shed light on the reasoning behind the correct answer. Thanks in advance !

Did you like the question ? Please don't forget - Kudo's are the best way to thank !

I somehow feel option B weakens the argument. It canot be an assumption.

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 01:27
C is already stated in the argument so how can it be an assumption ??

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Barnes: The two newest employees at this company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 23:09
I have the same question as above, i deliberately left C, as it's bringing the point which is already stated in the premise.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Barnes: The two newest employees at this company   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 23:09

Barnes: The two newest employees at this company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap