It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bombed it. Retaking soon. Though't I'd share what not to do.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Bombed it. Retaking soon. Though't I'd share what not to do. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So had a pretty horrendous GMAT exam today. Got a 630 after GMAT Prep CATS at 710 and 730 respectively. A number of things went quite wrong, and I think folks here may be able to learn from my mistakes.

1. Don't study the night before. I was. You don't get enough mental rest. You have to convince yourself that last minute studying will not help no matter what. Even if it does, the focus toll it'll take on test day is probably not worth it.

2. Sleep well and stick to your schedule consistently in accordance to your test. I had a habit of sleeping at 1 everyday and decided that i'll just sleep early the day before for a 9 AM test. Got into bed at 11, was awake till 1, and woke up at 5:45 instead of 6:45 (I have trouble sleeping at nights anyway). Anyway, I didn't get enough sleep. Get into a system and stick to it. You need those 8 hours.

3. Calm down and NAIL those first few questions on the Quant and Verbal. Your accuracy on the first few questions is CRUCIAL. My mind was off on Quant during the first 5-6. I believe I screwed up the start. I then proceeded to get consistent and felt I was only slightly under-performing my usual self. Saw too many easier questions. Knew something was wrong. Your performance on the first few questions shall set the exam up for difficulty and it will be very difficult to dig yourself out of the hole if you mess up early. Q42 when I'm more accustomed to Q47-49. Started off Verbal with a bang and lost mental stamina towards the end. V34. I might have gotten some of the last few wrong. The algorithm will F you up if you falter at the end as well. At least that's what I felt.

4. Don't drink too much water before the test. I seriously don't understand what happened but I had to take toilet breaks during BOTH the 8 minute breaks, and more importantly DURING both, my Quant and Verbal sections. I have no idea what the heck was wrong with my body. The exam center was cool, and I was stressed out but 4 times?. I think the mid session breaks lasted almost 2 minutes each. That's a whole question's worth of time on each section.

Weirdly did well on the essay(I felt I did) and got a 7 on IR. I had practiced only 1 IR section and 1 essay previously. I wish they were at the end. It is idiotic that they start you off with the least important stuff. Will be retaking in 17 days since I have a deadline on the 1st of March. Wish I wasn't in this position but oh well. At least I learned a lot. I BELIEVE i'm 700+ material so I'm going to try to achieve some zen and mental stamina/strength along with some further practice.

Last edited by akelakela on 10 Feb 2017, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Bombed it. Retaking soon. Though't I'd share what not to do. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to hear that and best of luck for your next exam.

Please refer to the following post for your future reference and guidance:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-3 ... 52506.html

Cheers.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '20
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 04:05
Points taken - I'm sorry to hear about your experience - I understand that 630 is not in line with your target score, but I would be delighted with such a score!

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

|Welcoming tips/suggestions/advices (you name it) to help me achieve a 600|

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hi akelakela ,
I am sorry to hear that test day did not go as per plan. Also , you should try to make the practise tests as realistic as possible . Also , 2 mins per section is a significant time in GMAT . More importantly, that must have added stress levels . In my opinion, you should order ESR which will help your determine your strengths and weaknesses.

All the best for your next attempt!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: Bombed it. Retaking soon. Though't I'd share what not to do.   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2017, 12:16

Bombed it. Retaking soon. Though't I'd share what not to do.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap