Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 11:41 It is currently 02 May 2024, 11:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GRE 1: Q164 V161
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22120 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Bombed the GMAT after great mock scores, what should I do next? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nevo,

I have an important article for you to check out:

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Re: Bombed the GMAT after great mock scores, what should I do next? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's a frustrating thing to happen, and one I can really relate to. I've been studying for the LSAT. In June I took the test for a second time. My practice tests had been very strong--if it were the GMAT, I had most tests 760 or above, and my last three were like a 790, 770, 780. I felt good.

In the middle of the test, I panicked hard on my weakest subject, and ended up getting about a 650.

Now, this doesn't sound quite like what happened to you--you didn't panic, it seems. You felt good during the test and were surprised it went poorly (...I knew my LSAT bombed).

But it got me thinking about a few things when it comes to test prep (or any skill).

1). I'm not as good at this as I want to be (i.e., I *never* hit the goal I want). This is how virtually everyone starts. Everything is stressful!
2). I hit my goal *sometimes*... but I also miss it often. And in general, I'm still pretty stressed.
3). I hit my goal with some regularity. But there's still the occasional faceplant. And in general, I'm still pretty stressed.
4). I hit my goal all the time. I still have the chance of face-planting; but, I don't generally feel stressed.
5). I virtually never fall short of my goal, and even when the pressure's on, I am totally in control, almost to the point of boredom for most of the assessment.

Sounds to me like maybe you're in 4, and just had a bad day.

The truth is, few test-takers needs to get to a 5 (that's where I am for the GMAT, because I've taught the thing for almost a decade now).

For people in one 4, or even 3, it's just kind of... take the test again. And then again if you need to. This is where I find myself on the GMAT, and I've just told myself, "Look, I have demonstrated that I can get the score I want. It will happen on some testday. I can't control which day that is, but if I just keep working, it will click."

That's not to say that you totally stop studying--there's probably still some stuff you can pick up here and there just to make yourself that much more consistent. But in general, it's like... Take the pressure off. You've built yourself to where you want to be. Learn what you can from your practice tests, but don't let one low score throw you too much when you still know you can get the score you want.

For what it's worth, it was your quant score that dropped most on the official test. Most likely, you made a few mistakes on easier questions that you usually wouldn't have made, and it just pulled that score down a little bit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
It's a frustrating thing to happen, and one I can really relate to. I've been studying for the LSAT. In June I took the test for a second time. My practice tests had been very strong--if it were the GMAT, I had most tests 760 or above, and my last three were like a 790, 770, 780. I felt good.

In the middle of the test, I panicked hard on my weakest subject, and ended up getting about a 650.

Now, this doesn't sound quite like what happened to you--you didn't panic, it seems. You felt good during the test and were surprised it went poorly (...I knew my LSAT bombed).

But it got me thinking about a few things when it comes to test prep (or any skill).

1). I'm not as good at this as I want to be (i.e., I *never* hit the goal I want). This is how virtually everyone starts. Everything is stressful!
2). I hit my goal *sometimes*... but I also miss it often. And in general, I'm still pretty stressed.
3). I hit my goal with some regularity. But there's still the occasional faceplant. And in general, I'm still pretty stressed.
4). I hit my goal all the time. I still have the chance of face-planting; but, I don't generally feel stressed.
5). I virtually never fall short of my goal, and even when the pressure's on, I am totally in control, almost to the point of boredom for most of the assessment.

Sounds to me like maybe you're in 4, and just had a bad day.

The truth is, few test-takers needs to get to a 5 (that's where I am for the GMAT, because I've taught the thing for almost a decade now).

For people in one 4, or even 3, it's just kind of... take the test again. And then again if you need to. This is where I find myself on the GMAT, and I've just told myself, "Look, I have demonstrated that I can get the score I want. It will happen on some testday. I can't control which day that is, but if I just keep working, it will click."

That's not to say that you totally stop studying--there's probably still some stuff you can pick up here and there just to make yourself that much more consistent. But in general, it's like... Take the pressure off. You've built yourself to where you want to be. Learn what you can from your practice tests, but don't let one low score throw you too much when you still know you can get the score you want.

For what it's worth, it was your quant score that dropped most on the official test. Most likely, you made a few mistakes on easier questions that you usually wouldn't have made, and it just pulled that score down a little bit.

Thanks Reed, that is very insightful, happy you recovered from your LSAT.
GMAT Club Bot