GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Booth ($$$$) vs Kellogg ($$$) vs Haas ($$$$) vs Ross ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Booth ($$$$) vs Kellogg ($$$) vs Haas ($$$$) vs Ross ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 15:48
I feel very happy and grateful to be in this position, however I know that making a decision will be super tough. For reference, my background is in environmental engineering and I am hoping to use my MBA to transition into finance/management roles within the energy/cleantech industry.

I received a full-tuition scholarship to Booth, about an 80% scholarship to Kellogg, a Consortium fellowship (full ride) to Haas, and a full scholarship to Ross (which would include Consortium membership as well).

I know Haas has a great energy & cleantech program, Ross has collaborations with the Erb Institute, Kellogg has a new sustainability in business pathway, and Booth has the cleantech lab. Curious to know how much specific classes/concentrations matter in the long run for "non-traditional" business industries, and any and all advice if possible.

Manager
Manager
S
Re: Booth ($$$$) vs Kellogg ($$$) vs Haas ($$$$) vs Ross ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 16:05
You’re spot on with the opportunities from each school. No back and forth needed here - Berkeley is the best fit.

Posted from my mobile device
Booth Moderator
G
Schools: Booth '22 (WA)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 16:20
Booth, hands down.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 16:21
If you chat with students, Haas seems a bit of a niche program. Perhaps that’s the experience you are looking for but I feel it is in a different league than Stanford/Harvard/Wharton and Booth. It is close to Bay Area and has some benefits being close to Silicon Valley but I feel otherwise, besides proximity, Booth will be a stronger/bigger program. Haas is overshadowed by Stanford and you only get the second dibs.

S

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 16:50
BB, you’re the expert here and founder but I differ.
I travel to the Bay Area every few weeks and second dibs to Haas is not true at all. Two weeks back I was at lunch with 3 kids having an MBA from Stanford GSB and I often work with teams having Haas MBAs.
In my conversation with the Stanford kids, I did sense that PE or VC prefer Stanford over Haas, but it’s like the MBBs that want to create a sense of elitism. Overall all other industries like strategy, finance, tech, marketing ... Haas is as good as Stanford in all other industries and functions.

Also, ranking is smoke and mirrors... Booth isn’t the best for all industries, it’s good for finance and consulting, but there are many other schools better for other industries.
Ranking is a function of $ that schools spend on PR and insecure donors wanting their legacy for the $ they have.

Booth Moderator
G
Schools: Booth '22 (WA)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 17:31
Valid points. However, the fact you even have to bring up rankings at all... means they do matter. Haas is fine if you want to stay in California, but Booth will open more doors outside of that state and internationally. The same can be said for Stanford.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 18:09
I’d like to point out that while some companies Such as Amazon may hire folks from BU, Anderson, and HBS, it does not mean they all have equal roles managing the same product. There will be differences in what positions are hired for.

Moreover, you have to be careful with employment reports since they don’t cover 100% of students.

You just can’t see the report and start translating it word for word. If you do, you will be making a number of assumptions.

V

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 18:12
JohnJohnJ wrote:

That’s totally cool! I am not always right and you should disagree when you do. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: and not need to feel like you need to feel bad about it, though I sure appreciate when it is done nicely :cool:
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 06:16
Hah! All these talks of rankings to determine which schools are better or the best always amuse.

I agree with bb here and will go with Booth/Kellogg. There are a few reasons why. Booth/Kellogg as a brand (for which you are paying big bucks!!) is much stronger than Haas. I’d ignore Haas and Ross for this conversation. Haas on the west coast will provide you these opportunities but therein lies the biggest rub. It won’t come close to opening doors to other streams or companies that Kellogg or Booth will do. Even within the same companies, roles will be different (some more senior than others!).

Evaluation then gets down to Kellogg vs Booth. It’s difficult and eventually comes down to your own preference of living in Chicago or Evanston (suburb of Chicago). Do go to admit days for both and speak to current students on some of the clean tech/energy roles. See which school provides you a more straightforward path to finance/management roles you seek. Both schools are extremely competitive so don’t think that you won’t have to do much once you get in. You’ll still have to network like crazy. But at the end, Booth and Kellogg win due to their brand and pedigree of placing students in top management roles irrespective of the industry. Happy to discuss more for Kellogg.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 06:42
di4n3 wrote:
I feel very happy and grateful to be in this position, however I know that making a decision will be super tough. For reference, my background is in environmental engineering and I am hoping to use my MBA to transition into finance/management roles within the energy/cleantech industry.

I received a full-tuition scholarship to Booth, about an 80% scholarship to Kellogg, a Consortium fellowship (full ride) to Haas, and a full scholarship to Ross (which would include Consortium membership as well).

I know Haas has a great energy & cleantech program, Ross has collaborations with the Erb Institute, Kellogg has a new sustainability in business pathway, and Booth has the cleantech lab. Curious to know how much specific classes/concentrations matter in the long run for "non-traditional" business industries, and any and all advice if possible.

There's no question here
BOOTH IS THE BEST OPTION

Why?
They have Raghuram Rajan as the faculty of finance,
That guy was the Governor of Reserve Bank of India for 12 years and is considered the finest economist in the history of the country. Him and Dr. Manmohan singh together applied an economic model that was responsible to solve the global recession of 2008

That is just about the faculty
Booth is by far way better in standards than any other M7 colleges and matches the best finance colleges there.
If finance is your preferred function, look no further

Duke is the best option when it comes to clean tech, I know, weirdly on top, right?
Well, in marketing as well but let's come back to the point

Booth is by far the best in Finance, you'll get a free ride and you'll be getting the best minds there for your preferred function.
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting GMAT Club special
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 07:02
bb wrote:
JohnJohnJ wrote:

That’s totally cool! I am not always right and you should disagree when you do. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: and not need to feel like you need to feel bad about it, though I sure appreciate when it is done nicely :cool:

Hahahaha
I usually do have a difference of opinion with him
bb I need an urgent advice, please check PMs
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting GMAT Club special
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Booth ($$$$) vs Kellogg ($$$) vs Haas ($$$$) vs Ross ($$$$)   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2019, 07:02

Booth ($$$$) vs Kellogg ($$$) vs Haas ($$$$) vs Ross ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste