Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.7
WE:Law (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD September 2020 Intake ! [#permalink]
Seriously?
I called this week with my AO in regard of GMAT retake and she unintentionally revealed that my profile is marked for a review.

Cannot say what does that mean but When I ask her to explain she was reluctant to do so.

Guessing that she said something that she did not want to say...

So conclusion... It seems to me too soon to getting interview invitation, especially compared to last intakes...

I am applicant from Slovakia (Central Europe)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
If it is on rolling basis, think that’s fine. I submitted my app on the day of deadline

MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In some ways you could say that there's no Rhyme or Reason as to who receives the invitations earlier than others but if anyone were to draw inferences I think it would be based on the work schedule of the AO. That's the only detectable pattern I've seen is that invites tend to be grouped around a specific AO.

GMATin wrote:
meowc4tz wrote:
Seems like some folks have received interview invite!

Yea, I am wondering the reason why the mails have gone out before the set date of 18th.
Did they apply early? Are they from a specific nationality?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi there.

I'm hoping to apply in round 3 for sept 2020 intake. I have not written my GMAT yet and have only just started looking at it so I need to study for at least a month beforehand (i resigned from my job so i have ample time during the day at the moment).

My question:

Do I need to write GMAT before hitting apply online?

I'm not sure how strong my application will be - is applying in round 3 risky?

Thanks
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 6mboyjam,

let me quickly address your questions.

Yes. Your application will not be considered complete if you don't submit a GMAT/GRE score. However, if you consider that the submitted score is not a good representation of your academic capacity, you can retake GMAT and submit a new score before interview invites are released.

In general, applying in Round 3 is considered somewhat risky unless you come from an under-represented background. If you come from an over-represented background (e.g. Indian), then applying in Round 3 is considered very risky.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Alex

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my question. I guess what I was asking was: Am I apply to start the application process before obtaining a GMAT score, ie start working on the essays and other documentation so that when I do have a score I can apply straight away?

I havent started studying for GMAT yet, so i'm completely unsure what i can achieve but i plan to put in 150 hours over the next month. I can still make round 2 if i get a good GMAT and the essays done by 15 January 2020.

If start the application process and do not achieve the desired GMAT score, i think i would wait for round 1 of the Jan 2021 class.

Suppose i'll know more in a month after trying a GMAT prep exam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sorry, I should also have mentioned; I'm from Cape Town South Africa - unsure if this is an over or under-represented region. I would assume more on the under-represented side.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi 6mboyjam,

let me quickly address your questions.

Yes. Your application will not be considered complete if you don't submit a GMAT/GRE score. However, if you consider that the submitted score is not a good representation of your academic capacity, you can retake GMAT and submit a new score before interview invites are released.

In general, applying in Round 3 is considered somewhat risky unless you come from an under-represented background. If you come from an over-represented background (e.g. Indian), then applying in Round 3 is considered very risky.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you for participating in this thread and offering your insight.

I wanted some clarity on the above highlighted text.

Does it mean that prior to 6th December (2nd round interview deadline), I can submit a revised GMAT score in-case I'm not happy with the score provided with my application?
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kloppismydad,

yes, but let me explain. After submitting your application, an Admissions Officer (AO) will contact you and will confirm that they have received all the elements of your application. This AO will be your contact point with INSEAD from then on. As such, along the way, you can let your AO know of any updates on your profile, including a new GMAT score.

That being said, nobody really knows when INSEAD is going to make a decision on your application. Therefore, if you retake GMAT too close to the interview notification date, then you risk that your new score won't be considered. Therefore, if you do plan on retaking GMAT after you submit your application, try doing so within the following 2 weeks or so after the application round deadline, just to make sure your new score will come in time.

I hope this clarifies.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
ARLee Consulting
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 6mboyjam,

you don't need a GMAT score to start your application, and you can absolutely work on it (e.g. resume, essays, letters of recommendation...) before taking GMAT.

Just keep in mind that INSEAD's is a very long and time-consuming application. Therefore, if you have the bandwidth to prepare for GMAT while you work on your application, doing so would probably be the only way you could make it to Round 2 (November 6th) without sacrificing much quality on your application.

If you don't have a strong preference for either intake though and you cannot make it by Round 2, it'd probably make sense to apply in Round 1 for the Jan 2021 intake. Although, as a South African, you won't be considered as an over-represented background, therefore you could still perfectly get accepted in Round 3 (Sep 2020 intake).

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
meowc4tz wrote:
Seems like some folks have received interview invite!

Hi all,

I received the invite last week on Thursday. I’m based in London and my AO is AN. I submitted the application on September 17.

As mentioned by other members, INSEAD follows a rolling admission process, so for this intake, October 18 is the latest day by which an applicant should hear back from the school.

Best of luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi there,

I've done my GMAT and I'm potentially looking to apply in the next few weeks for Round 2.
My question is: Given my profile below, should I apply now for Sep 2020 or wait til early next year to apply for Jan 2021 (assuming I'm agnostic as to whether I do the 10month or 12month program).

Work experience: 4 years
- Currently in Tier 1/2 consulting, not MBB (e.g. Roland Berger, Oliver Wyman, AT Kearney); Research Analyst (Aug '17 - Jul '18), Business Analyst (Aug '18 - present), to be promoted in Jan '20 to Senior Business Analyst.
- Did 1.5 years in boutique management consulting previously (change management, corporate culture, corporate identity)
[b]Education: BA Literature from Top 10 UK University
Nationality[/b]: Malaysian
GMAT: 730

**Should I wait 'til early next year until I get promoted before I apply, or apply now and state that I will get promoted in next cycle?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Hello!

I've been following this thread very actively, and am slightly worried that I haven't heard back from INSEAD yet. My AO is Anne Nigl and I submitted my application on Sep 1 (although I completed the video essays only by Sep 19). I have friends who submitted after me and have heard back on their interviews from AN. Should I be worried?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.7
WE:Law (Other)
Send PM
Yeah, I'm getting worried too. Have people received interview calls from JM (as their AO)?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I think majority of the folks have not received anything yet. Let's not panic guys. Still got 10 more days to go!

Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
6mboyjam

I agree with everything Alex mentioned just wanted to offer you some additional things to think about.

I understand your instinct with regards to resigning your job but it's really not optimal for you to be applying to business school without a job.

So I would propose that you start looking now and find another job before you apply.

It's a very accelerated program and having a gap in employment on your resume inhibits your marketability to recruiters and is a bit of a red flag to Career Services people.

It makes you look a little more risky and inhibits your ability to get admitted.

I would take a parallel processing approach rather than a sequential approach when it comes to the GMAT and job searching.

To be very honest with you the GMAT is rarely something you can do a cram job with and get an ultimate result in a matter of weeks. It's really **the evolution of a mindset** it's not like a normal test. plan on taking it at least twice, it's rare and probably ill-advised to take it once because people rarely perform their absolute best the first time.

I'd recommend that you get a tutor right away so that you can shorten the time frame required to devote to it. A lot of people really feel like they have to go it alone with preparing and studying for the GMAT, which is counterproductive to be honest especially when you don't have a lot of time to play with.

I like the expression *there's a part of you you can't see, that others are looking at all the time* and this comes in very handy when working with a good GMAT coach. And consultant.

All of this might be building a case for you to apply round one for January batch in March. As a South African you are a more diverse applicant and round three is not out of the question, that said I don't know much about your work background or the qualitative aspects of what you bring.

However it is a large application you need to get the GMAT dealt with, along with 7 essays and a job search. So it sort of sounds to me like this would be a more reasonable time frame to get all of that handled.

Another good reason to go with round one is **scholarships** and being under-represented, you have a good shot of those, especially if you have a good profile, a good application (CV, recs, essays) and a good GMAT.

The diversity scholarships are available in round 3 but very little else. check out the scholarships page on the INSEAD site to see what I'm talking about.
https://sites.insead.edu/mba/schlmgmt/index.cfm

My final thought to you is consider your goal. Will you need an internship? If so probably January batch would be better for you.

It's possible to go into strategy or management consulting without an internship if coming from INSEAD, however for most other disciplines it's almost essential to have that internship. IB, one would say its compulsory.

I have had a lot of experience with clients wanting to re-recruit after doing an internship, it's not talked about often enough. So I think it's really nice to have that ability to change course if the internship did not work out as you'd hoped.

Of course the program for INSEAD is so accelerated you're kind of in deep doo-doo if you don't like your summer internship but there is Fall, and I believe that having a job you like post MBA is the biggest return-on-investment factor.

On the other hand, if you are hoping to be recruited in the Middle East then September batch is a better choice for you because that's the only where you can do one of your periods/recruitment over there.

Hope this helps.

6mboyjam wrote:
Hi there.

I'm hoping to apply in round 3 for sept 2020 intake. I have not written my GMAT yet and have only just started looking at it so I need to study for at least a month beforehand (i resigned from my job so i have ample time during the day at the moment).

My question:

Thanks

Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MBAhopeful90

Malaysians are not overrepresented, so your GMAT is on track. Is your goal strategy consulting? I would think about your candidacy with regards to their 4 criteria: academics, leadership (proof of impact included there), contribution (on campus and in the community) and international exposure/goals (fit)and consider if your candidacy will substantially improve between now and March.

I am a bit worried about the time frame, you are in consulting so likely crazy hours, and this is a HUGE application. To do it properly, plan on spending a lot and I mean a lot of time on it. There are 7 essays and 5 letter of recommendation questions, and I recommend you develop talking points for recommenders. The CV is an important component, especially given you will be looking for a FT job right away (but in January, seeking an internship right away if you want one.)

Will you be targeting the middle east for recruitment? Then September. Do you want an internship? Def January.

28% of admitted candidates get scolarships, so this might not be the determining factor, but it does not hurt to peruse their page.. Some scholarships are for December class only. https://sites.insead.edu/mba/schlmgmt/index.cfm

My previous post might be helpful in evaluating as well.

MBAhopeful90 wrote:
Hi there,

I've done my GMAT and I'm potentially looking to apply in the next few weeks for Round 2.
My question is: Given my profile below, should I apply now for Sep 2020 or wait til early next year to apply for Jan 2021 (assuming I'm agnostic as to whether I do the 10month or 12month program).

Work experience: 4 years
- Currently in Tier 1/2 consulting, not MBB (e.g. Roland Berger, Oliver Wyman, AT Kearney); Research Analyst (Aug '17 - Jul '18), Business Analyst (Aug '18 - present), to be promoted in Jan '20 to Senior Business Analyst.
- Did 1.5 years in boutique management consulting previously (change management, corporate culture, corporate identity)
[b]Education: BA Literature from Top 10 UK University
Nationality[/b]: Malaysian
GMAT: 730

**Should I wait 'til early next year until I get promoted before I apply, or apply now and state that I will get promoted in next cycle?

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts