Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Hello Folks!
Really sorry for not keeping upto date with the thread as I recently shifted to Africa for work.
I am glad to post a thread initiated by myessayreview regarding Duke essay analysis

duke-fuqua-essay-questions-analysis-202203.html

kindly go through, really helpful.
Thanks
Celestial
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
In for EA. Let the journey begin.... :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Kudos
Same here, Let the EA journey begin!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
The online application is live! Best of luck folks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the info.

I had a doubt regarding EA . Columbia has a similar option.
What if a person applies for both and gets through both. Since both are binding in nature
what is the applicant supposed to do ?

Secondly , does it give u a significant advantage if u apply in EA instead of R1 as far admission chances are concerned ??

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
chitraketh wrote:

What if a person applies for both and gets through both. Since both are binding in nature

Secondly , does it give u a significant advantage if u apply in EA instead of R1 as far admission chances are concerned ??

Thanks

I would recommend picking your favorite between the two schools and applying EA there and apply R1 to the other. When you apply EA you have to state that you will withdraw all other applications if you are accepted. If I was unable to make that commitment then I would personally feel like I was lying when certifying that I would abide by the rule. For admissions chances, I think EA is great for a "marginal" applicant because you give the school the security of knowing that you will accept their offer if they decide to take a chance on you. So with that I think that there is some slight advantage of EA over R1. There is a definite advantage of EA over R3. It also allows you to spread out your applications so that you don't have so many R1's that you can't give a great effort to those applications. If your #1 school offers EA then do it. If you have 2 #1's, then pick a favorite and apply EA there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
flewbye wrote:
chitraketh wrote:

Thanks

I would recommend picking your favorite between the two schools and applying EA there and apply R1 to the other. When you apply EA you have to state that you will withdraw all other applications if you are accepted. If I was unable to make that commitment then I would personally feel like I was lying when certifying that I would abide by the rule. For admissions chances, I think EA is great for a "marginal" applicant because you give the school the security of knowing that you will accept their offer if they decide to take a chance on you. So with that I think that there is some slight advantage of EA over R1. There is a definite advantage of EA over R3. It also allows you to spread out your applications so that you don't have so many R1's that you can't give a great effort to those applications. If your #1 school offers EA then do it. If you have 2 #1's, then pick a favorite and apply EA there.

This is verbatim from the Fuqua application on the Early Decision Certification:
"Candidates who apply through the Early Decision program may apply to other programs, but are not permitted to apply to other binding early decision programs."

If you apply to both, you essentially break the honor code for both schools. The least harm if you choose not to go to the school is you're required to pay their deposit fee. But what's possibly worse are the potential repercussions of basically committing to both schools. I haven't heard or read about what happens when someone backs out of ED for one school, let alone doing ED for two schools (which may be even worse). As suggested by the prior post, pick the one you like more to apply ED. Think about it from the perspective of being a member of the admissions committee or someone who was told a promise. Why take a chance where you can get caught breaking the rules and where schools can inform each other of it? Others have probably weighed in regarding doing this, but you don't want to be indecisive and communicate to them that you'll jump to the best option when it means you break your word. Ethics still mean something in this world.

Also, regarding the advantages of EA, the chances may appear easier to get accepted possibly because of selection bias. Good to very strong candidates want options. Having the freedom and extra time to evaluate fit, exit opportunities, prestige, and scholarships after decisions are made is why people don't commit to EA. It's possible that standout candidates apply in EA, but I would think that people who either know that school is THE school for them or are risk averse with the entire bschool application process would apply for EA. My logic may be off here, but the more risk averse applicants probably have slightly lower grades or more questions about their profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Also after reading the online application, it is clear that Fuqua has the right to share your details with other school if you are selected for the program. So that might hit your credibility with other schools. Think through if you know that Duke is a good chance for you. It is not always the case that only risk averse students aim for EA. There are other reason such as time factor, admission stress etc for which the students apply early so there will still be fair competition. Needless to say EA is one of the best chance for admission. And yes EA > R1, consider it as this - for Duke EA is R1.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

Leadership, teamwork, ethics, and a global approach to business are essential elements of the Duke Fuqua MBA, which is why you’ll need to make sure you express your passion for these ideals in your application essays. Impress the Fuqua adcom by positioning yourself as an innovative leader and team player, as someone who can see the big picture, work collaboratively, and shape global business.

My tips are in blue below.

Three short answer questions and 2 essays are required from all applicants.
• Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
• Respond fully and concisely.
• Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
• Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.
• All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will not be tolerated in the admissions process.

Application Tip: Check out Fuqua's section criteria.

Required Short Answers Questions

Instructions: Answer all 3 of the following questions. For each short answer question, respond in 500 characters only (the equivalent of about 100 words).

1. What are your short term goals, post-MBA?

State what you see yourself doing immediately after you earn your MBA in terms of function and industry. If location or geography are important to your goal, include them.  If you know the type of companies you would like to work for, you can include that information too, but don’t say you want to work for Company X, unless Company X is sponsoring you. Without sponsorship, a "Company X" answer is probably too narrow, but saying you would like to work for a firm like Company X would work.

2. What are your long term goals?

Your long term goals should flow logically from your short-term goals. They can be fuzzier and both in terms of direction and timing. But you should have them. They can, but don't have to, include larger aspirations and present a broader perspective on where you are headed. But please don't go so general and say something like "I aspire to be a good person" or "I strive to leave a lasting impact on my community." Nice sentiments, but way too vague.

3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?

What’s your Plan B? If you can’t get a job at a leading strategy consulting firm -- your first choice -- what do you want to do? If Plan A is investment banking, what’s Plan B?

First Required Essay: 25 Random Things About Yourself

Instructions: Answer the following question — present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.

1. The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.

In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.

Have some fun with this list. It certainly allows a more creative approach than permitted by most essay prompts. Note that the questions asks you to go “beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript."  So you can list your Pez collection or perhaps your brief membership in a rock band or the fact that you took violin from age 6-18 or your membership in a gospel choir or your volunteer work in a hospital, your needlepoint, your favorite recipe or photo. Gosh the list is endless. Just let it reflect you. Think of this list as an introduction to potential friends.   For more insight into this question and the  motivation behind, please read Megan Overbay's, the former Director of Admissions’, advice. I believe you will find it helpful. And very friendly.

Second Required Essay (choose 1 of 2)

Instructions: Choose only 1 of the following 2 essay questions to answer. Your response should be no more than 2 pages in length, and should reflect your knowledge of the Fuqua program and experience, and the types of activities and leadership you would engage in as a Fuqua student.

Choose to the prompt that will let you reveal something important to you and impressive about you. Write the essay that you will be able to draft most enthusiastically and easily.

1. Why Duke: When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.

Why Duke? But you’re not talking to the admissions committee, whom you just may be a tad less than candid with. You are talking to your family, friends, and colleagues, people you know and like (at least the friends).  The Fuqua admissions staff really wants to get to know you. Authenticity is the goal. The admissions readers want to be able to imagine you as a part of Team Fuqua — their family — as a friend or colleague. Will you be real stiff and formal? Of course not. You will be friendly in a professional way. Don’t take this as an invitation to be inappropriate, coarse, or rude. Just friendly.

What appeals to you at Duke? What about its program, culture, and professional opportunities attracts you and would compel you to accept an offer of admission? Maybe address a letter to a close friend and tell her why you want to go to Duke.  That letter may morph into this essay.

2. The Team Fuqua community is as unique as the individuals who comprise it. Underlying our individuality are a number of shared ideas and principles that we live out in our own ways. Our students have identified and defined 6 “Team Fuqua Principles” that we feel are the guiding philosophies that make our community special. At the end of your 2 years at Fuqua, if you were to receive an award for exemplifying one of the 6 Principles listed below, which one would it be and why? Your response should reflect the research you have done, your knowledge of Fuqua and the Daytime MBA program and experience, and the types of activities and leadership you would engage in as a Fuqua student.
1. Authentic Engagement: We care and we take action. We each make a difference to Team Fuqua by being ourselves and engaging in and supporting activities about which we are passionate.
2. Supportive Ambition: We support each other to achieve great things, because your success is my success. The success of each individual member of Team Fuqua makes the whole of Team Fuqua better.
3. Collective Diversity:  We embrace all of our classmates because our individuality is better and stronger together.
4. Impactful Stewardship: We are leaders who focus on solutions to improve our communities both now and in the future. We aren’t satisfied with just maintaining the status quo.
5. Loyal Community: We are a family who looks out for each other. Team Fuqua supports you when you need it the most.
6. Uncompromising Integrity: We internalize and live the honor code in the classroom and beyond. We conduct ourselves with integrity within Fuqua, within Duke, and within all communities of which we are a part.

Do your homework about Fuqua (and yourself) before responding to this question. What activities and groups appeal to you? How do you see yourself participating? Making a difference? Then look at the list of six principles above. Which do you most identify with? Imagine how you would exemplify that principle in your activities. The story of that role and how would see yourself earning an award is your essay.  While you can reference similar activities in the past, keep the focus of this essay on what you would do at Fuqua and why you would earn recognition for exemplifying one of these six principles.

Optional Essay Question:

If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, or any significant weakness in your application).
• Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area of the application.
• The Optional Essay is intended to provide the Admissions Committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
• Limit your response to two pages.

Why isn’t your current supervisor writing your rec? Why is there a six-month gap on your resume? Why did your grades dip during the first semester of your senior year? What are your responsibilities while working for a family business after having left a prestigious investment bank, and why did you make the change? Answering any of those questions (but not all) could be the topic of your optional essay.

Duke Fuqua 2016 MBA Application Deadlines:

If you would like professional guidance with your Duke Fuqua MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Duke application. 

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsHow To Earn A Spot On Team Fuqua [Podcast]
• Culture, Location, and Support: A Duke MBA Speaks
• 2016 MBA Application Essay Tips

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com.

Accepted.com's experienced admissions consultants can help you create the most impressive application possible with comprehensive packages, or provide targeted assistance from picking perfect programs to designing a dazzling resumeconstructing engaging essays, or preparing for intense interviews…and more! Accepted.com has guided thousands of applicants to acceptances at top programs since 1994 – we know what works and what doesn't, so contact us to get started now!

Accepted.com    ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Has anyone faced any issue with looking at student groups?

I currently face an issue while trying to access different Fuqua MBA groups (such as Design + Innovation in Business and MBA Soccer club).
When I search for them (from Google or the site) I am redirected to the home page of of campus groups i.e.- https://www.campusgroups.com/product/home/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Culinary Talent on Display During ‘Iron Chef’ Competition at Fuqua
Throughout my first year in Duke’s MBA program, I was constantly surprised by the many amazing talents of my classmates. The Culinary Club’s ‘Iron Chef’ competition at Fuqua certainly showcased those of the kitchen variety.

Each year, the Culinary Club hosts the event at an April Fuqua Friday. The spirit of the competition is very much like the TV show, Iron Chef, but with a few twists. First, the “secret” ingredient was revealed a week in advance so that we could plan our menus and purchase the groceries ahead of time. Second, we had to provide our own cooking equipment (we did have access to a generator). Otherwise, we were allowed to get creative!

The week before the competition

The dessert: rosemary poached pears with ricotta, honey, and toasted walnuts
Sign-ups opened the week before the competition, and of course the most important part of that process was coming up with the team name. Our team of five, which included me and four other first-year students (plus Victoria and Jordan’s four-year old son!), bandied several names back and forth, and ended up on Blue Devil Eggs. A couple other options that didn’t make the cut included the Fuqua Frittatas and Fish ‘n’ Fuquans.

The week of the competition
To help us prepare, the secret ingredient was revealed a few days before our menus were due. Last year’s ingredient was lemongrass, and this year—drum roll, please—it was rosemary. Once we knew the ingredient, we all sat down in the Fox Center to figure out what we wanted to make for our appetizer, entrée and dessert. Since I bake quite a bit, I volunteered to tackle dessert.

After doing a few quick searches on Pinterest for inspiration, we decided on the following: a rosemary-flavored tilapia ceviche and a rosemary simple syrup (non-alcoholic) “cocktail” for our appetizer; rosemary chicken stuffed with apples, paired with mushroom rice and shaved vegetable root and arugula salad for our entrée; and finally rosemary poached pears with ricotta, honey, and toasted walnuts for our dessert.

The day of the competition

Our cooking station
For those of us who had to marinate an ingredient, we were allowed to do so the day before. Emily started the tilapia ceviche the night before, Jordan marinated the chicken, and I poached the pears in rosemary simple syrup. After class ended for the day on Friday, I rushed home to collect the kitchenware we were going to use during the cooking portion of the competition and the poached pears I had started.

Each team had two tables, and fortunately Jordan and Victoria had thought to bring another table, so that we had one for all the ingredients, one for prep, and one for the actual cooking.

Team Blue Devil Eggs (click and notice the thumb bandages on Emily and SooMin, at right)
Once the timer started, things were hectic! Everyone pitched in to help plate the appetizer and started cutting up vegetables, apples, and mushrooms for the entrée. We did have a couple hiccups due to a rather deadly mandoline, as both SooMin and Emily had to bow out after each one sliced a thumb open.

After the appetizers were plated and sent off to the judging table, we turned our attention fully to the entrée and helped Jordan put together the side dishes while he was focused on grilling the chicken. After that, we moved on to the dessert and sliced the rosemary-poached pears and toasted the walnuts.

Although we didn’t end up winning, it was a ton of fun putting our energy into producing delicious food and pretending for a few hours that we were a team of culinary experts. I can’t wait for next year to come back as the Deadly Mandolines!

The post Culinary Talent on Display During ‘Iron Chef’ Competition at Fuqua appeared first on Duke MBA Student Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Send PM
Hello People,

Can someone tell me whether we need to ask GMAC to send out official GMAT score to Duke now itself or only self reported GMAT score will do?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jugglerG2 wrote:
Hello People,

Can someone tell me whether we need to ask GMAC to send out official GMAT score to Duke now itself or only self reported GMAT score will do?

They will require an official score at some point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Send PM
flewbye wrote:
jugglerG2 wrote:
Hello People,

They will require an official score at some point.

Yes, you are correct. That is what I am curious about. Some schools require official score after offer of admit has been made and some during application itself.

May be alwaysudit can help. Udit, can you please suggest on GMAT score reporting to Duke?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Hi,
I am working towards my EA application for Fuqua. I don't see a section where I can input my Post-Graduate information (in my case Masters in Engineering). Am I missing out on something? Can someone please advise.
Right now, it only gives me the option of entering information for my Undergraduate institution and any courses I took post that.
It further goes on to state Prior Institutions I have enrolled in. Since a Masters in Engineering is post undergraduate, not sure if it can be classified as Prior Institution.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Law (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
saugagmatter wrote:
Hi,
I am working towards my EA application for Fuqua. I don't see a section where I can input my Post-Graduate information (in my case Masters in Engineering). Am I missing out on something? Can someone please advise.
Right now, it only gives me the option of entering information for my Undergraduate institution and any courses I took post that.
It further goes on to state Prior Institutions I have enrolled in. Since a Masters in Engineering is post undergraduate, not sure if it can be classified as Prior Institution.

Thanks.

Yeah, I know what you mean!!

You're disallowed if you're higher degree is an MBA, but a master's in Engineering should be fine. Why don't you try enteringyour master's degree info in lieu of your undergrad and list your undergrad as a previous institution? (This is just a suggestion, better ask around a bit and if possible, people from Fuqua directly as well)

I have a similar problem. My degree is a dual degree and most colleges do not have a provision for the same. How do I specify the same?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
NoobGeneralChaos wrote:
saugagmatter wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Yeah, I know what you mean!!

You're disallowed if you're higher degree is an MBA, but a master's in Engineering should be fine. Why don't you try enteringyour master's degree info in lieu of your undergrad and list your undergrad as a previous institution? (This is just a suggestion, better ask around a bit and if possible, people from Fuqua directly as well)

I have a similar problem. My degree is a dual degree and most colleges do not have a provision for the same. How do I specify the same?

Thanks, yes was aware that if you have an MBA or equivalent, that's not allowed. I am not sure if entering my graduate degree under "Undergraduate degree Conferring Institution" section would be right. But neither is it a "Prior College # 2"..sigh.

My undergrad degree is a dual degree as well, so far Fuqua allows for 2 majors to be entered in. Hope that helps!!

Anyone else on this forum who could answer this question, would be great!! Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  46   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts