GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 20:13
Shortlisted for interview (Skype) for 30th Dec. But I did not receive any communication regarding uploading the docs. Should I do it anyways?
Also, could anyone provide more info on the format for skype interview.

Congrats to all others who received admits, and all the best to everyone waiting!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2014, 22:24
Hi,

I am an Indian female from a civil engineering background. I have worked in one of the top construction firms for three and a half years in both on – field operations and business development and tendering. My GMAT score is 690 and I applied to ISB R2. Haven’t received an interview call yet.

Do I have a fair chance in this?
Admission Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2014, 20:49
cs2209 wrote:
Shortlisted for interview (Skype) for 30th Dec. But I did not receive any communication regarding uploading the docs. Should I do it anyways?
Also, could anyone provide more info on the format for skype interview.

Congrats to all others who received admits, and all the best to everyone waiting!

Hi cs2209! Ideally you should receive some communication to upload the docs. It's normally a part of your interview invitation email.

The skype interview is like any other skype call. Till last year, applicants were asked to speak for a minute on a random word (as a replacement for the 1-word writing assessment for face-to-face interviews), but this year the one-word assessment has been taken off this year for skype candidates.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

[Now get a free 5-point Career Goal session with Mr. Kannan (ex-Director Admissions, ISB) when you sign up for our ISB Interview Builder]

Originally posted by ISBmantra on 20 Dec 2014, 07:02.
Last edited by ISBmantra on 20 Dec 2014, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Admission Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 07:10
aninditaa wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian female from a civil engineering background. I have worked in one of the top construction firms for three and a half years in both on – field operations and business development and tendering. My GMAT score is 690 and I applied to ISB R2. Haven’t received an interview call yet.

Do I have a fair chance in this?

Hi aninditaa! The profile looks alright from the info you have provided here. It will also depend a lot on your essays and academic scores. But you can certainly be hopeful of a call with this profile and GMAT.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

[Now get a free 5-point Career Goal session with Mr. Kannan (ex-Director Admissions, ISB) when you sign up for our ISB Interview Builder]
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 00:54
Hi All,

Will there be a separate Interview shortlist for prospective candidates with more than 8 years of experience. Anybody with over 8 years of experience already received a shortlist in Round 2
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2014, 01:37
kantipudi2512 wrote:
Hi All,

Will there be a separate Interview shortlist for prospective candidates with more than 8 years of experience. Anybody with over 8 years of experience already received a shortlist in Round 2

No there will not be.
Although I am curious to know what made you think so.

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 05:36
kantipudi2512 wrote:
Hi All,

Hi kantipudi2512! There is no separate shortlist, but with 8+ yrs, you are more likely to be called to Hyderabad for your interview even if your preferred location is not Hyderabad.

All the Best!
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 06:34
Hi,

I did not mean separate shortlist, but i believe profiles over 8 years would be interviewed in a particular time range (Late Jan'14 to Mid Feb'14)
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 06:36
Hi,

I did not mean separate shortlist, but i believe profiles over 8 years would be interviewed in a particular time range (Late Jan'15 to Mid Feb'15)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 06:49
ankurgupta03 wrote:
kantipudi2512 wrote:
Hi All,

No there will not be.
Although I am curious to know what made you think so.

Hi Ankur

If the timeline for interview in delhi is around 1st Feb and they say they will send interview invites around 10 days before, so does that mean they will send interview invites late in january or do I have some facts wrongs?
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 10:15
sahilkakkar wrote:

Hi Ankur

If the timeline for interview in delhi is around 1st Feb and they say they will send interview invites around 10 days before, so does that mean they will send interview invites late in january or do I have some facts wrongs?

Yup ... that is what it means...
All the best!!

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 00:04
Hello all you anxious peoples.
I know what it feels to be in this period.

One small tip: While you wait, start preparing for the interviews, go through the application, try to find out possible questions from your essays and application.
Know how to back the numbers (if any) you have written in the application.

Here is a post about how to identify the questions:
calling-all-isb-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-170219-220.html#p1419164

Now coming to specifics.
All those with a goal to become a consultant,
I would strongly advise you to go through the guesstimate question. Be sure that you will be asked one of these in the interview and will be judged strongly on this.

The questions can be some thing like:

How many petrol pumps in a city
How many pot holes in a city
How many barbers in a city
How many stars in the sky and the likes.

There is a set format to solve these and I would strongly recommend you all to practice these.

Apart from these, consulting specific questions as to how would you analyse a situation, work flow of consulting etc.

All those with the goal of Management,
Know you team well. How many people, what are their roles and responsibilities.
How will you form a team, what factors will you consider.
Try to incorporate the market factors also in your answers.

In the end, do not forget to utilize the "Interview Preparation" section of this post
calling-all-isb-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-170219-140.html#p1395539

Hope these pointers help you all in the interview.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

All the best!
Ankur
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 03:33
Any interview invites for folks from Bangalore?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 22:42
The Gatekeeper At The Indian School of Business

by John A. Byrne on February 24, 2014
V.K. Menon, senior director of careers, admissions & financial aid

V.K. Menon, senior director of careers, admissions & financial aid

When applicants are turned down for admission to the Indian School of Business, they often call or email V.K. Menon, senior director of careers, admissions and financial aid. Sometimes, he says, there is shock because their test scores and undergraduate records are among the best in the world. More often than not, they seek clarity as to why they didn’t make the cut.

“The more adventurous guys always call,” says Menon, from his small, corner office at the school. “It’s more of an ‘I’d-like-to-know kind of call. We give them feedback and advice because we have a friendly re-applicant system. So they can improve their candidacy for the next time.”

One of the most challenging things the school is trying to convey is that a high GMAT score isn’t enough to get a candidate into the Indian School of Business. For a nation where young people routinely focus on rote drilling and test-focused exercises, that can sometimes be a hard sell. But Menon says the GMAT only accounts for about 30% of the weight in the school’s admissions decisions.

‘THE GUY WITH A 600 GMAT SCORE HAS A CHANCE OF MAKING IT HERE’

“The GMAT is not a make-or-break part of our decision making,” he says. “The guy with a 600 score has a chance of making it here, while a guy with a 780 might not make it. At the end of the day, there are a whole lot of qualitative assessments the director has to make.”

That can cause a good deal of head scratching among Indian applicants who have spent the better part of their lives taking board exams and tests and trying to be among the top 5% or 10% of their classes. “The problem is that the domestic mindset is all around test scores,” says Menon, a former executive with Philips and U.S. West, who had lectured at a business school in Mysore before joining ISB. “They think if you crack an exam, you make it. It’s difficult for us to tell them that it’s not a single-score selection. That’s our strongest challenge.”

Menon says the primary focus of admissions is on “three buckets”—academic analytics, including GMAT, GPA, and exam scores, leadership ability, including promotions at work and involvement in extracurricular activities, and finally the personal interview used to assess a candidate’s communication skills and presence. Each of the three buckets is ultimately assigned a score that is used to determine whether or not a candidate gets through the screen.

ACCEPTANCE RATE: AROUND 22%

In a typical year, ISB will accept about 22% of its 4,100 applicants to draw together a class of about 770 students. When applications come in, they are immediately divided up into four pools: P1, P2, P3, and P4. The single best category to fall into is P3 meant for the very top of the applicant pool. “These are people from IIT with 780 GMATs,” says Menon, using the network of Indian’s elite engineering schools as an example of the best possible feeder institution into ISB. “A P3 is rejected only if there is a significant reason to reject.” In other words, pretty much every applicant designed a P3 gets the chance to interview, and these applications are read once by Menon’s staff.

“P4,” adds Menon, “is the reverse of P3. It’s someone with a weak GMAT from a weaker school. We still read those applications because sometimes we get some interesting sparks.” But generally the applicants who fall into the P4 pile are not going to get an invite to the school.

According to the article is there anyway of finding out in which category one applicant falls into ? Does P4 mean Panel No. 4 of interview ?
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 23:00
Not it does not mean Panel 4 and who goes in which pool can only be known if you are in the ADCOM :)
Schools: Rotman '17 (A)

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 03:04
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Not it does not mean Panel 4 and who goes in which pool can only be known if you are in the ADCOM :)

Hi

I submitted my app in round 2 (29th Nov) and haven't received any call yet. Other schools usually complete their process in 2-3 weeks. ISB has gone beyond 3 weeks now and i am clueless now. I have other offers that need to be selected or rejected based on whether ISB gives an offer. Any one getting december calls ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GRE 1: Q800 V600
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 18:16
Hi parutaneja,

People can get calls till first week of Feb. In ISB's website, interview dates are given as per location. Find out your preferred location and their interview dates. You will get a call only on 7 to 10 days before the interview date.. So chill...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 20:40
saran3129 wrote:
Hi parutaneja,

People can get calls till first week of Feb. In ISB's website, interview dates are given as per location. Find out your preferred location and their interview dates. You will get a call only on 7 to 10 days before the interview date.. So chill...

Can you please share the Bangalore Interview dates.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GRE 1: Q800 V600
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 20:51
Bangalore interview dates are from Jan 16th to 18th. So you can relax till Jan 9th...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 20:53
saran3129 wrote:
Bangalore interview dates are from Jan 16th to 18th. So you can relax till Jan 9th...

Thank You :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2014, 20:53

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  51    Next  [ 1004 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: warriorguy, LeoN88