Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2017 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Hello,

Requesting an evaluation of my profile. I am an aspirant of the PGP in Management at ISB, Class of 2018. I shall be applying in Round 2 of the admissions this term.

Xth: 90.5 (ICSE)
XIIth: 93.75 (ISC)
B.E.: Civil Engineering (with Honours) with a percentage score of 84.10 (CGPA: 9.16, Rank 5/92), College: Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur (current official name: IIEST Shibpur)

GMAT: 680 (Q50, V30, IR-7, AWA-5.5)

Work Experience: Total-37 months, as on 31 August 2016

1. 9 months as a Structural Engineer with a renowned consulting engineering firm, handling structural design work on heavy industrial steel structures
2. 28 months as a Technical Officer/Scientist with Bureau of Indian Standards, the National Standards body of India. Exposed to various facets of work handled by the organization including product certification, standardisation and hallmarking, among others. For the past 12 months, involved in the major project of revision of National Building Code of India, being one of the five people involved.

Extra-curriculars:
1. Quizzing: Participated and had podium finishes, including wins, at numerous inter-school/inter-college quizzing events. Served as General Secretary of the quizzing society in college for a year and as Student Convener of quizzing events in college's annual technical fest.
2. Sports: a) State-level table tennis player at junior and sub-junior levels, b) State-level cricketer at U-13 level.

Well, I guess my profile suffers from a huge Achilles' Heel that is my GMAT Verbal score. Despite satisfactory preparation, the score came out to be ridiculously low. However I have decided not to retake the GMAT before applying at least once with this score given ISB's gradual higher acceptance rate of profiles with lower scores. My Verbal score keeps worrying me, though.

Is there any chance of my getting a call for the interviews if I apply in R2? What should I generally try to highlight in my essays? Appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
chak.de.arnab@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

Requesting an evaluation of my profile. I am an aspirant of the PGP in Management at ISB, Class of 2018. I shall be applying in Round 2 of the admissions this term.

Xth: 90.5 (ICSE)
XIIth: 93.75 (ISC)
B.E.: Civil Engineering (with Honours) with a percentage score of 84.10 (CGPA: 9.16, Rank 5/92), College: Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur (current official name: IIEST Shibpur)

GMAT: 680 (Q50, V30, IR-7, AWA-5.5)

Work Experience: Total-37 months, as on 31 August 2016

1. 9 months as a Structural Engineer with a renowned consulting engineering firm, handling structural design work on heavy industrial steel structures
2. 28 months as a Technical Officer/Scientist with Bureau of Indian Standards, the National Standards body of India. Exposed to various facets of work handled by the organization including product certification, standardisation and hallmarking, among others. For the past 12 months, involved in the major project of revision of National Building Code of India, being one of the five people involved.

Extra-curriculars:
1. Quizzing: Participated and had podium finishes, including wins, at numerous inter-school/inter-college quizzing events. Served as General Secretary of the quizzing society in college for a year and as Student Convener of quizzing events in college's annual technical fest.
2. Sports: a) State-level table tennis player at junior and sub-junior levels, b) State-level cricketer at U-13 level.

Well, I guess my profile suffers from a huge Achilles' Heel that is my GMAT Verbal score. Despite satisfactory preparation, the score came out to be ridiculously low. However I have decided not to retake the GMAT before applying at least once with this score given ISB's gradually increasing acceptance rate of profiles with lower scores. My Verbal score keeps worrying me, though.

Is there any chance of my getting a call for the interviews if I apply in R2? What should I generally try to highlight in my essays? Appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Hi Arnab
- You would have a chance in R1 itself. Why would you want to push this to R2? Your GMAT is sorted already. R1 is ~5 weeks away and so doable.
- Your acads, experience, and ECA are quite good (the sporting achievements are quite noteworthy in particular) and that definitely adds to your profile
- Work is differentiated as well. Civil/structural work (minor) with later Standards experience (major). What will be important for you is to create a link to an MBA from here, as your current role and an MBA are not the most natural of fits.
- Overall, with a strong app, you would have a decent chance. Focus on that, and if possible, look at R1.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mshrek wrote:
Thanks guys for sharing these information. I'd like to know what is the window for receiving Round 1 interview calls ? Is it between October 15, 2016 to Nov 10, 2016 or it wraps up by 1st November .. something like that ? And, why is there a second decision date for round 1 and what is the interview window for this decision date ? Essentially, I'd like to know what happens after the application is submitted after Round 1 deadline. I am asking this specifically because I have some travel plans ( Oct 21 - Nov 1) and will have to adjust them accordingly.

Another question, is it ok to use commonly used acronyms such as ELP , PAEV, ICE in my essays? I don't want to waste words expanding the acronyms.
P.S : ISB is allowed :lol:

Hi mshrek

- R1 interview calls start to go out in the first week of November (judging from last year), and continue till almost the end of November.
- After you submit your application (by Oct 15), there is a wait of ~2-3 weeks. Post that, the interview calls go out.
- Once the interview is done, you will need to wait for the final decision date. This year, that has been announced as Dec 5.
- In case you have travel plans, ISB is flexible in terms of adjusting by offering an interview in another location or a Skype/telephonic interview, if you inform them sufficiently in advance. The period of your travel though seems safe as no interviews are expected to happen in that duration. Still, check your emails regularly, and inform ISB in advance in case any clash at all does happen in terms of dates.
- Some acronyms are ok, but would suggest you expand in case you are not sure. ELP and PAEV at least are well understood.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I have 16 year of experience ( 3 years of Non-IT, 3 years of entrepreneurship, 10 years of core IT experience). I have 2 questions regarding the PGP program of ISB.

1. What are the chances of getting into PGP, consider I score well in GMAT.
2. After the completion of the course, what are the chances of getting placed.

~Bhaskar
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bhaskarba wrote:
Hi,

I have 16 year of experience ( 3 years of Non-IT, 3 years of entrepreneurship, 10 years of core IT experience). I have 2 questions regarding the PGP program of ISB.

1. What are the chances of getting into PGP, consider I score well in GMAT.
2. After the completion of the course, what are the chances of getting placed.

~Bhaskar

Hi

1. Chances are low, but not zero. ISB's experience range is 2-20 years, so some people with as much and even more experience of yours do get through. However, the numbers are very limited. At 16 years of experience, ISB may consider you a better fit for the PGPMAX.
2. Placements will also present a challenge. Your profile will not fit 99% of roles coming to ISB, and CAS would struggle to get a company to visit campus for a lateral hire this senior. You would need to instead work with CAS to find senior management opportunities in the market instead/reach out to alums. Ultimately, if you are up for the challenge, and are somewhat flexible in terms of location/designation/seniority, you could very well find such a position.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks.

Is it same for someone who has 10 years of experience ? One of my friend who is trying for ISB has 10 years of experience.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bhaskarba wrote:
Thanks.

Is it same for someone who has 10 years of experience ? One of my friend who is trying for ISB has 10 years of experience.

Not as much. 10 years experience is still closer to the 7-8 years bracket, which has many people in it. Therefore finding a suitable role is much easier. In addition, ISB would be much more open to considering you a as a PGP candidate with ~10 yrs experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot for sharing your views.
Does the same applies to IIMs ( A,B,C) with regard to years of experience and corresponding getting placed after the 1 year executive programme
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
When is the final decision date for ISB for round 1?
Is it 15th december?

The website mentions two rounds of decision dates. The dates in application are totally different.

Any idea which one of them is correct?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
For those keen to connect to current class students at ISB, the School has a new "Brand Ambassadors" page at https://www.isb.edu/pgp/student-connect
You can filter for your specific function and experience range and connect with one of the Ambassadors, who would be more than happy to guide you.
Please note that they may not be in a position, however, to assist with prep, resume/ essay review etc, due to the hectic schedule they grapple with at ISB!
Just a heads up to all those looking to crack ISB!
Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM