GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 09:37

In Progress:

Admit Calls from Ross Join Chat Room | McCombs Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
No more FOMO: Eliminating the fear of missing out  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 07:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: No more FOMO: Eliminating the fear of missing out
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Wikipedia describes FOMO, or “fear of missing out,” as a form of social anxiety where one is compulsively concerned they might miss an opportunity for social interaction, a novel experience, profitable investment or another satisfying event.

I’m sure you’ve experienced FOMO at various times in your life. It turns out graduate school is a fantastic lab to study FOMO. Given the intensity of competition between various priorities, FOMO could be a huge problem if you let it. Author and psychology professor Dan Ariely claims that FOMO is fear of regret, that we have made the wrong decision on how to spend our time as “you can imagine how things could be different.”

FOMO is the sort of problem that can plague us. As business leaders, entrepreneurs and investors, it will always be tempting to follow the latest fad. As parents, it will be tempting to push our kids toward the latest and greatest achievement. As people, we’ll be sorely tempted to try various external quick fixes in our own pursuit of happiness.

So, how do we avoid FOMO? Based on my limited experience, here are three thoughts that might help:

1. UNDERSTAND YOUR CORE PRIORITIES.

First, no matter what we do, understand why we’re doing what we’re doing and what our priorities are.

2. DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK AND GO IN WITH A HYPOTHESIS.

The biggest cause for FOMO is when we don’t do our own homework. This lack of work can lead us to believe everyone else around us knows exactly what they’re doing. The solution to this is to always go into what we’re doing with a hypothesis. Top venture capital firms are increasingly adopting the idea of a thesis-driven approach to investing. And, the best hypotheses/theses are aligned firmly with core priorities.

3. BE WILLING TO HAVE DISCUSSIONS AROUND YOUR HYPOTHESIS AND CHANGE YOUR MIND.

No hypothesis/thesis is final, of course. It is completely OK to decide to change your mind after discussions. People around us often have incredible insights about us that will help us on our journey. But, at the risk of repeating myself, it matters that we always have a clear thesis that we’re testing. We’re the drivers here.

The underlying principle here is to shift focus from what everyone else around us is doing to what we’re doing. No one really knows what makes sense for us. That’s not to say we know better, but we probably have the best shot at it. So, let’s use the privileged position to figure out what would actually work.

In that sense, avoiding FOMO becomes really easy when we realize that it isn’t about “them.” This is all about us. It’s our life and it is up to us to make it meaningful, to make it count.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, MBA Learnings, Two-Year Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 07:11
TheLevin wrote:
My date has changed in a similar frequency, however, I do not see any red highlighting...

Did you try to highlight the text? What colour is it?
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 08:18
forevertfc wrote:
TheLevin wrote:
My date has changed in a similar frequency, however, I do not see any red highlighting...

Exactly which text should we be highlighting? I've highlighted text on the page with the "Upload Materials" option and frankly everything is red.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 08:32
mrsandoo617 wrote:
forevertfc wrote:
TheLevin wrote:

Exactly which text should we be highlighting? I've highlighted text on the page with the "Upload Materials" option and frankly everything is red.

That's the text. Everyone's is red. I'd be surprised if TheLevin's highlighted text is not red either. It's a default.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 08:50
Ignore my prior post. I see now what to what you are referring. I thought you all meant that the text was default highlighted in red.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 11:35
I interview tomorrow. Is anyone else going to be on campus?
Manager
Manager
Alumni Spotlight: Luke Tanen ’14  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 14:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Alumni Spotlight: Luke Tanen ’14
Photo by Jeff Sciortino

The Kellogg-minted team that honors Chicago innovators is building a new way to support the startup community — by connecting established business leaders’ problems to local startups that might have the solution.

“Startups have a hard time getting the ear of big companies. They may not have a lot of credibility, or know who to talk to,” says Luke Tanen ’14. “It makes sense to bridge these two worlds. You can think of what we’ve created as a matching program.”

The story of the Innovators Connection starts back in 2010.

While researching job postings, then-Kellogg student Luke Tanen came across an opening for a director’s job at the Chicago Innovation Awards, which showcases the region’s most imaginative new ventures. He noticed a somewhat familiar name: Tom Kuczmarski.

“This name Kuczmarski appeared in both places, the Chicago Innovation Awards and over at Kellogg,” Tanen says. “So, I just sent him a note one day, saying I think what he’s doing is really cool and that I’d love to interview for the position.”

Kuczmarski, one of the co-founders of the awards and a senior lecturer at Kellogg’s Center for Research on Technology & Innovation, met with Tanen. Kuczmarski soon realized that Tanen, who hails from New York, was passionate about working within Chicago’s startup business community.

“Luke was one of many great candidates who popped up, and he’s the one we hired,” says Kuczmarski, who runs an innovation consultancy and is considered one of the city’s foremost experts. “He’s a powerhouse. I just love working with him.”

A collaboration was born. And since moving up to executive director in 2012, Tanen has worked with Kuczmarski to expand the organization into new territories. Their latest is the Innovators Connection, which helps startups connect their services to big-name companies.

Learn how Innovators Connection works and hear more from Tanen

Filed under: Career, Student Life Tagged: alumni, Alumni Spotlight, Center for Research on Technology & Innovation, entrepreneurship, Innovation, Startup Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
No more FOMO: Eliminating the fear of missing out  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 14:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: No more FOMO: Eliminating the fear of missing out
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Wikipedia describes FOMO, or “fear of missing out,” as a form of social anxiety where one is compulsively concerned they might miss an opportunity for social interaction, a novel experience, profitable investment or another satisfying event.

I’m sure you’ve experienced FOMO at various times in your life. It turns out graduate school is a fantastic lab to study FOMO. Given the intensity of competition between various priorities, FOMO could be a huge problem if you let it. Author and psychology professor Dan Ariely claims that FOMO is fear of regret, that we have made the wrong decision on how to spend our time as “you can imagine how things could be different.”

FOMO is the sort of problem that can plague us. As business leaders, entrepreneurs and investors, it will always be tempting to follow the latest fad. As parents, it will be tempting to push our kids toward the latest and greatest achievement. As people, we’ll be sorely tempted to try various external quick fixes in our own pursuit of happiness.

So, how do we avoid FOMO? Based on my limited experience, here are three thoughts that might help:

1. UNDERSTAND YOUR CORE PRIORITIES.

First, no matter what we do, understand why we’re doing what we’re doing and what our priorities are.

2. DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK AND GO IN WITH A HYPOTHESIS.

The biggest cause for FOMO is when we don’t do our own homework. This lack of work can lead us to believe everyone else around us knows exactly what they’re doing. The solution to this is to always go into what we’re doing with a hypothesis. Top venture capital firms are increasingly adopting the idea of a thesis-driven approach to investing. And, the best hypotheses/theses are aligned firmly with core priorities.

3. BE WILLING TO HAVE DISCUSSIONS AROUND YOUR HYPOTHESIS AND CHANGE YOUR MIND.

No hypothesis/thesis is final, of course. It is completely OK to decide to change your mind after discussions. People around us often have incredible insights about us that will help us on our journey. But, at the risk of repeating myself, it matters that we always have a clear thesis that we’re testing. We’re the drivers here.

The underlying principle here is to shift focus from what everyone else around us is doing to what we’re doing. No one really knows what makes sense for us. That’s not to say we know better, but we probably have the best shot at it. So, let’s use the privileged position to figure out what would actually work.

In that sense, avoiding FOMO becomes really easy when we realize that it isn’t about “them.” This is all about us. It’s our life and it is up to us to make it meaningful, to make it count.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, MBA Learnings, Two-Year Image

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 15:02
mshrek wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion; I've tried my luck with a MMM alumni . I didn't get any response :| I guess I've to now bump in some current MMM student linkedin account to get more insights.

That's surprising. The Kellogg Alumni are one of the tightest knit group I've seen. I would reach out to the adcom and see if they can put you in touch with a MMM student or alumni. They always love to talk up the school. :-D

Executive MBA Schools and Discussions:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-2015-executive-mba-discussions-in-one-place-187549.html?fl=menu

Want a 6.0 on the AWA?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 06:28
BazingAu wrote:
mshrek wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion; I've tried my luck with a MMM alumni . I didn't get any response :| I guess I've to now bump in some current MMM student linkedin account to get more insights.

That's surprising. The Kellogg Alumni are one of the tightest knit group I've seen. I would reach out to the adcom and see if they can put you in touch with a MMM student or alumni. They always love to talk up the school. :-D

I know ! Even I felt so but my personal experience suggests otherwise. Perhaps I am approaching in a wrong way or just plain bad luck. In any case, thanks for the kind gesture 8-)

C'est la vie

Manager
Manager
#MyKellogg Photos of the Week: Nov. 7  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: #MyKellogg Photos of the Week: Nov. 7

For this week’s #MyKellogg photos of the week, we wanted to give a nod to everyone who captured the beauty of fall on the Northwestern University campus, and specifically those who showcased their pictures on Instagram with #KelloggFall2014.

Keep sharing what your experience at Kellogg looks like with #MyKellogg, and we might use your picture for an upcoming photo of the week post.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: #MyKellogg, Fall colors, Northwestern University campus, Photo of the week, Photography, photos of the week Image

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 10:09
Just had my interview on campus. Pretty conversational my interviewer was a recent grad working in pe in Chicago. Walk me though your resume, why mba why Kellogg how will you contribute to the community, then my questions. Went just under an hour.
Manager
Manager
A life-changing phone call  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 07:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: A life-changing phone call
“Hello Mr. Saif Ahmed, I’m calling from the MBA Admissions Office from the Kellogg School of Management. We are delighted to inform you that you been accepted for the 2Y MBA Program!”

I received this phone call while I was grabbing some not-so-healthy food at Pizza Hut. Thankfully, my fiancée (then-girlfriend), Farah, was with me, so she was able to confirm that it was actually real, and not some caffeine induced day-dream!

That day was March 25, and now that we are in early November, I can’t help but feel amazed at times when I think how dramatically my life has changed in the last six months.

I graduated from the Institute of Business Administration (IBA), University of Dhaka in Bangladesh with a Bachelor of Business Administration, majoring in Finance. My four years at IBA were amazing and shaped me into the person that I am today. Post-undergrad, I joined HSBC Bank as a Management Associate in the Corporate Finance business and was there for almost four years. I had a ton of great experiences in my job, but I knew that to augment my skills as a professional, I needed to get out of my comfort zone.

Among other things, self-development has been THE driving force in my life. I always knew I wanted to get an MBA at a top business school. There were many good reasons for this goal, but the one that really stood out for me was the opportunity to interact with some of the best and brightest students and faculty in the world. That would be a transformative experience for me. Given my very specific requirements, Kellogg was inevitably on that list.

Coming to Kellogg was an easy choice to make. The cost of leaving your family and friends, and losing the economic security of a great job is steep, but when you get accepted into a place like Kellogg, you pack your bags and make the journey (29 hours in my case!).

I came to Evanston on August 18, and I think I already have enough stories to write a new blog piece every day for a year! But for the time being, I’ll keep it short and start cracking on the huge pile of assignments/recruitment prep work that seems to keep piling up!

I’ll end my first article with a picture of me with President Barack Obama in the background. No big deal, just the President of the United States coming to visit Kellogg and inspire us. Waiting for more amazing things to happen in the next two years!

Saif Ahmed is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA Program.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: 2Y, Two-Year, Why I Chose Kellogg Image

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Other (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 11:25
More-or-less 5 weeks to go...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 13:17
Anyone with an interview waiver here who got interview invitation later?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 19:20
ankurtulsian wrote:

Based on previous year's trend, waived-interview-notifications should start coming in after mid November. Did you apply for the MMM?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 22:35
No, 2Y. Any idea how much time do we get to schedule waived interviews once invited?

Did you apply for MMM?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 00:51
ankurtulsian wrote:

I want to further pick up on this.

Have received a waiver myself. Is this a negative thing? (Though the email explicitly says that it is not a negative thing in any way whatsoever)
Have a lot of students been accepted after a waiver? Is it a pretty normal thing?

The internet has mixed responses - trying to steer clear from speculation
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 07:13
NS13983 wrote:
ankurtulsian wrote:

I want to further pick up on this.

Have received a waiver myself. Is this a negative thing? (Though the email explicitly says that it is not a negative thing in any way whatsoever)
Have a lot of students been accepted after a waiver? Is it a pretty normal thing?

The internet has mixed responses - trying to steer clear from speculation

Copying a post from earlier in the thread. It is quite common for Indian candidates to get their interviews waived.

str1der wrote:

To everyone applying from India. I am a reapplicant and hence am acquainted with how the process works. Let me detail it as I am sure it will calm some nerves:

1. Kellogg, by design, interviews each applicant. However, in areas of high demand of interviews such as India, it is not possible for them to match their alumni to each applicant as each alumni can do only as many interviews
2. Once both Part 1 and Part 2 are submitted, one of the following three scenarios will occur:

i. You will be invited to interview on a day in late Oct/Early Nov. This is essentially an interview day - many alumni will gather at a hotel and many applicants will be interviewed. No clear formula on how the invitees are decided, but I think it depends on who submtited Part 1 earlier as from Kellogg's vantage point everyone has to be interviewed and hence no one is at a higher or lower priority at that point. Once the interview has been completed, the adcom will review your essays and recommendations and you then sit tight until the decision date to hear back from them.

ii. You will get an interview waiver. The Kellogg team does NOT read an applicant's file until their interview is complete. Hence, to avoid delays, they start reading the application first for those in India who weren't sent invited in the first go. The waiver does NOT affect your application negatively - it just means that they are waiving your interview in order to begin reviewing your application

iii. If they like your application, you will receive an invitation to interview. This will be a one to one with an alumnus here, or a Skype with the adcom in Chicago

iv. It may also happen that you don't get this invite after the waiver, in which case it is safe to assume you have been dinged

3. Hence, unlike other countries, in India Kellogg does NOT interview everyone. Also, most people receive a waiver which can then convert/not convert into an interview invite at a later stage.
4. You will NOT be admitted to the program without an interview. Hence, if after the waiver you do not receive an invite, it means you have been dinged.
5. Dates: Please read last year's thread. If I recall correctly, people received the first invites 2 weeks after the Part 2 deadline. People who first received a waiver and then an invite (such as me) kept hearing throughout November. I got my invite around Mid Nov.
6. Hence, if by end Nov you haven't heard from them after a waiver, safe to move on to alternate plans
7. Most people in India will get a waiver - it will test your nerves (tested mine) but it is actually a blessing in disguise. If you receive an invite after a waiver, that means the adcom liked your application and wants to know more - that is a positive sign any day of the year

Hope this answers your queries. Indian applicants should NOT compare their interview timeline to foreign applicants.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 20:42
Back to video essay date conundrum, for me dates have changed as below:

- 30 Sept - Submission date
- 14 Oct - I got interview invite on 15th
- 30 Oct - Interview feedback probably submitted on 30th.

And no date change after that.

Does that mean they have stopped analyzing my application and made NO decision already ? :cry:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 09 Nov 2014, 20:42

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap