Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Applicants,

Here is R1 admit/ding summary. (Based on applicants’ profile updates)

Total Applicants: 324
Admitted: 34
Waitlisted: 30
Denied: 52
Unknown Decisions: 206

A humble request to all round one applicants, please update your GMATClub profile status.
Mention your profile and application updates in the compilation of all 2015 applicant profiles 2015-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-176967.html
Admitted applicants’ discussion thread calling-all-mit-sloan-accepted-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-190321.html
Waitlisted applicants’ discussion thread sloan-mit-class-of-2017-calling-all-waitlisted-applicants-190322.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I'm debating what to put in for the third question. MIT isn't exactly Booth to put in something amusing or personal for its own sake, and I don't run my own startup to include a link to the website.

MIT never really asks about what I want to do post MBA or asks about extracurriculars. Would it be a useful essay to talk about why I am dedicated to the industry I'm dedicated to? It's an interesting and nerdy enough story and ties in my ECs. It also provides cohesion to my story that MIT's other questions don't seem to look for beyond cohesion in my personality traits.

Full disclosure - this would be a re purposed version of one of the Haas essays on an experience that changed my life.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
JohnThunder wrote:
UTWrestler wrote:
titan31 wrote:
Congrats to all the admits. And, I wish waitlisted ones also see their dreams come true. I am targeting MIT Sloan, R-2, and I have just one question. In MIT Sloan's first essay (which ends with ....Discuss how you will contribute toward advancing the mission based on examples of past work and activities.), how many examples you guys provided? 1? 2?

I am working on the essays all by myself and your suggestions would help me draft the essay better.

Thanks!

I provided 2 main examples and then 2 smaller examples in the essay. I would separate out your examples of why you are innovated and how you are well principled unless you have 1 example that really covers both very well. Also, the Adcom seems to appreciate diversity in your background so I would definitely include more than 1 example. Don't write what you feel Adcom just wants to read but what is personal and meaningful to you. Let your personality shine in your essays!

I am sure there are a lot of winning strategies so please don't think what I wrote is the correct/only path, it is simply what worked for me. Good luck, I am sure you will do great!

everyone will be different. i used one example and listed three ways it made an impact! there is no right way in answering these questions.

Mine is similar. I wrote about one innovative solution I designed to address a questionable situation, which illustrated my belief in being a principled leader.
There's no right way, just depends on your experience and whether you have a great example that covers both, if not, use two different ones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
merper wrote:
I'm debating what to put in for the third question. MIT isn't exactly Booth to put in something amusing or personal for its own sake, and I don't run my own startup to include a link to the website.

MIT never really asks about what I want to do post MBA or asks about extracurriculars. Would it be a useful essay to talk about why I am dedicated to the industry I'm dedicated to? It's an interesting and nerdy enough story and ties in my ECs. It also provides cohesion to my story that MIT's other questions don't seem to look for beyond cohesion in my personality traits.

Full disclosure - this would be a re purposed version of one of the Haas essays on an experience that changed my life.

Like many others, I am planning to drop this third essay thingy. I have absolutely no clue of what might of real interest to them in addition to what I and my reco guys have said to them. They really gave a lot of space to tell to them about a person's stories...!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
merper wrote:

Like many others, I am planning to drop this third essay thingy. I have absolutely no clue of what might of real interest to them in addition to what I and my reco guys have said to them. They really gave a lot of space to tell to them about a person's stories...!

i did an optional. i did a powerpoint. i recommend not doing an essay and doing a powerpoint or video.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
JohnThunder wrote:
neo656 wrote:
merper wrote:

i did an optional. i did a powerpoint. i recommend not doing an essay and doing a powerpoint or video.

I put a link for a powerpoint too, and explained some stuff that didn´t go well at university.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
peleve wrote:
JohnThunder wrote:
neo656 wrote:

I put a link for a powerpoint too, and explained some stuff that didn´t go well at university.

I third this. I sent in something visual as well. I felt like not doing it would show a lack of effort/not truly wanting to go since I hadn't visited campus either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Hi people,

In self-recommendation essay, I have reflected on my professional stories. But wouldn't it overlap with my supervisor's actual recommendation? Also, what should be strategy in managing the self-recommendation when you are also getting one of your recommendation from your supervisor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
megatron13 wrote:
Hi people,

In self-recommendation essay, I have reflected on my professional stories. But wouldn't it overlap with my supervisor's actual recommendation? Also, what should be strategy in managing the self-recommendation when you are also getting one of your recommendation from your supervisor.

Mine did overlap. It's a very smart essay question to have I felt. I will strongly show the differences in the objective opinions about your work (professional reco) and the subjective opinion of your own on the same and the impact it had on you. Don't worry about it being a little similar. The personality from two different perspectives will be shown, and that's the intention.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Thanks for quick reply. I am just worried whether the difference of opinion would cast the impression that I am not a self-aware person. :?

razordude1717 wrote:
megatron13 wrote:
Hi people,

Mine did overlap. It's a very smart essay question to have I felt. I will strongly show the differences in the objective opinions about your work (professional reco) and the subjective opinion of your own on the same and the impact it had on you. Don't worry about it being a little similar. The personality from two different perspectives will be shown, and that's the intention.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Kudos
megatron13 wrote:
Hi people,

you are not supposed to know what your supervisor wrote, so if they overlap its not your problem... its also a good test to a candidate's honesty and how much he exagerates.. I just answered as honestly as I could, I am sure my strenghts and weaknesses must have been more or less the same as my supervisor´s. We have talked about then so we both know them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
engineer1234 wrote:
peleve wrote:
JohnThunder wrote:

I third this. I sent in something visual as well. I felt like not doing it would show a lack of effort/not truly wanting to go since I hadn't visited campus either.

Guess, I'll have to make use of these last few days to come up with something useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
The Sloan application doesn't ask for career goals anywhere. The essay question only wants you to discuss past work and experience.
I have a completely non-traditional background. Is there really no place I can discuss my short and long term goals?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
trivium wrote:
The Sloan application doesn't ask for career goals anywhere. The essay question only wants you to discuss past work and experience.
I have a completely non-traditional background. Is there really no place I can discuss my short and long term goals?

Talk about it with the optional piece!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Excerpt from a student blog on the sloan website

"Turn back the clock to last November when my interviewer asked what I want to do during and after my time at Sloan. Before I begin to answer with glowing descriptions of the well-researched ways I’d contribute to the MIT community in and outside the classroom and in the world beyond Sloan, he adds: “Let’s pretend you actually know. Because you really don’t.” By virtue of my admission, I must have given him a good enough answer. But he was right. I had no idea."

Thought that was kinda funny compared to the other schools that are super critical of our goals. Personally I did not mention goals in any part of the app but I do agree if you're nontraditional then discussing goals in the optional wouldn't hurt. Similar to this student, my interviewer asked me "so do you think you know what you might want to do post MBA?" In a way that suggested it's nbd if I didn't or had multiple answers.

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/student-blogs/m ... uSLD2.dpuf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I did a Youtube video for the optional essay, but felt it played no part in my admission since it was only viewed once by my interviewer on the morning of my interview. So whoever decided to invite me to interview did so without even watching my video
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
In the second essay below is the a question prompt:
Please give a representative example of how the applicant interacts with other people.

I am a little confused about this prompt. Am I supposed to indicate how I interact or give an example of how I interact?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts