GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 05:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 11:03
PugLyfe wrote:
atl12688 where do you think you went wrong on your apps? Your hard stats are good. IMO your gpa/gmat should not have precluded you from any of the programs you applied to. It boils down to work experience, extra curricular activities, essays and interviews. Hopefully you hear back with good news tomorrow from Owen. Good luck!!

Hey pug! Thanks for the encouragement, but still haven't heard from Owen yet :(

I knew going into this admission process I would be looking at a middle of the pack schools due to my weak work experience. I am actually okay with going to Simon with $, but Owen and Emory were my top choices so it still always stings a little when you don't get the result you hope for. Looks like I probably needed a little higher GMAT to maybe help make up for my work experience.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 11:12
atl12688 wrote:
PugLyfe wrote:
atl12688 where do you think you went wrong on your apps? Your hard stats are good. IMO your gpa/gmat should not have precluded you from any of the programs you applied to. It boils down to work experience, extra curricular activities, essays and interviews. Hopefully you hear back with good news tomorrow from Owen. Good luck!!

I knew going into this admission process I would be looking at a middle of the pack schools due to my weak work experience. I am actually okay with going to Simon with $, but Owen and Emory were my top choices so it still always stings a little when you don't get the result you hope for. Looks like I probably needed a little higher GMAT to maybe help make up for my work experience.

Hey. Honestly, if the work experience is weak or short, it may make sense for you to apply again next year. Your GMAT is already above the average at those schools so it should not keep you from getting in. Higher GMAT will help with scholarship money, but probably wont break your app. If you take on some leadership roles in the community and demonstrate good EC's as well as impact at work, you should be in great shape a year from now. A friend of mine actually went to Simon and really did not enjoy the program. Rochester is quite far from everything. My call from Owen came a month ago and my portal still isn't even updated so there is hope for you. Fingers are crossed!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 12:27
atl12688 wrote:
PugLyfe wrote:

I'm right with you, I think. Emory, Boston, and Vandy were my top choices however I feel like my work experience (3.5 years) and not amazing test scores are hurting me. If Vanderbilt doesn't hold up, I'll probably try again next year.

This wait is killing me today. I think it's safe to assume that no one else has heard back yet?
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 13:19
Waitlisted.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V32

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 14:16
Ding... : /

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 18:31
Im Waitlisted.

Any International Admitted in R2?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 20:31
The Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management jumps 5 spots in the USNWR rankings. Owen is now ranked #22.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... int=9dc208

Anchor Down!
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 18:52
teleste wrote:
The Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management jumps 5 spots in the USNWR rankings. Owen is now ranked #22.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... int=9dc208

Anchor Down!

Anchor down!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 20:27
Anyone know how scholarships work? My caller didn't mention anything, but he had to leave a VM. Does it show on portal anywhere if you've been awarded money?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 00:01
thomasdodsonian wrote:
Anyone know how scholarships work? My caller didn't mention anything, but he had to leave a VM. Does it show on portal anywhere if you've been awarded money?

My scholarship info is mentioned in the admission letter (page 2 or 3 probably). And my admission letter is sent to me via mail as wel as uploaded to the admission portal.

Btw, I don't understand what a VM is :), but the woman who called me to inform the offer told me about the scholarship as well.

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 05:36
thomasdodsonian wrote:

It will be in your official offer letter
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.35
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 09:10
I have a tricky decision.. between olin (wash u) and and owen both with the same amount of money... any thoughts?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Accounting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 09:20
Lafayette88 wrote:
I have a tricky decision.. between olin (wash u) and and owen both with the same amount of money... any thoughts?

If financing is equal for you and both schools are rated pretty much equally, I think a good place to start with trying to decide would be to look at the career reports for each school. If you know what career you want to end up in, it would be good to compare the starting salary, bonus, and placement from each school.

Also, I think if all else is equal, ultimately you just have to go with what school "fits" you better? Where would you rather live, which campus visit made you feel like it was a place you could see yourself, etc.

I chose Vandy over Olin, so I might be a little partial; however, ultimately both are great programs and you just have to start digging deeper past financials and rank since both are comparable.
Retired Moderator
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 09:37
Lafayette88 wrote:

If you like both schools equally in terms of fit and salary data, it comes down to whether you want to spend 2 years in Nashville or 2 years in St. Louis and whether you want a lifelong alumni base primarily in the Southeast or primarily in the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 10:19
This may be the wrong place for this inquiry, and I apologize ahead of time. I mentioned a few posts above I was waitlisted (R2 applicant). Vanderbilt was my top choice this year (tied with emory but dinged), and I have received another update letter regarding my waitlist. The original waitlist has a firm stance "don't contact us, we'll contact you". The second stated that if I have any updates regarding test scores or work experience/awards to please send a detailed message to admissions. I am not taking the gmat again, for better or worse, I had a 210 point increase and am very happy with that, even though it may have hurt my chances a bit. So that leaves me with the work experience/awards. I have not received any awards since applying, but there were some minor awards I did not include in my original application. Anyone have any input on my dilemma? I know I'm throwing a lot out there, but like I said, Vanderbilt was my top choice and the fact that I'm getting a small opportunity I'd like some help on what to do next. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 17:20
atl12688 wrote:
The second stated that if I have any updates regarding test scores or work experience/awards to please send a detailed message to admissions. I am not taking the gmat again, for better or worse, I had a 210 point increase and am very happy with that, even though it may have hurt my chances a bit.

The GMAT is the one area of your application where you have the ability to significantly improve your candidacy. It is also a critical component that the school is evaluated on so an improved score can go a really long way. Even though it is a royal pain in the neck, and you seem pretty dead set against another go at the GMAT, if you think you can squeeze out an improved score, it might be worth taking again.

atl12688 wrote:
So that leaves me with the work experience/awards. I have not received any awards since applying, but there were some minor awards I did not include in my original application.

If you have minor awards to mention that you did not previously outline in your application, I would definitely use them as an excuse to send an update to the admissions committee. You could use the letter/essay/email as an opportunity to slip in a few words about why Vanderbilt is your number one choice and explain that you would be committed to attend if admitted (but ONLY say this if it is really TRUE).

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 17:30
So I'm trying to log on to welcometoowen.com but I need a username / password. I never got one or set one up, nor does the one I use to access my application work. Where do you get this?
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 06:31
teleste wrote:
atl12688 wrote:
The second stated that if I have any updates regarding test scores or work experience/awards to please send a detailed message to admissions. I am not taking the gmat again, for better or worse, I had a 210 point increase and am very happy with that, even though it may have hurt my chances a bit.

The GMAT is the one area of your application where you have the ability to significantly improve your candidacy. It is also a critical component that the school is evaluated on so an improved score can go a really long way. Even though it is a royal pain in the neck, and you seem pretty dead set against another go at the GMAT, if you think you can squeeze out an improved score, it might be worth taking again.

atl12688 wrote:
So that leaves me with the work experience/awards. I have not received any awards since applying, but there were some minor awards I did not include in my original application.

If you have minor awards to mention that you did not previously outline in your application, I would definitely use them as an excuse to send an update to the admissions committee. You could use the letter/essay/email as an opportunity to slip in a few words about why Vanderbilt is your number one choice and explain that you would be committed to attend if admitted (but ONLY say this if it is really TRUE).

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

Thank you!
Retired Moderator
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 09:27
thomasdodsonian wrote:
So I'm trying to log on to welcometoowen.com but I need a username / password. I never got one or set one up, nor does the one I use to access my application work. Where do you get this?

The Admissions team can/will send it to you once you have been accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 20:59
Hmm I've been accepted and received my package in the mail even...guess I should reach out?
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2016, 20:59

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    Next  [ 345 posts ] 

Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap