GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.47
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 13:30
While I've got you guys, what are some super interesting or awesome jobs people have taken (and I don't mean MBB)?
Current Student
Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 15:16
whitman wrote:
drivechipputt wrote:
PugLyfe wrote:
teleste - thank you again for a very detailed response! Would you say that most people seeking FT consulting offers received them? I've gone over the employment reports before and they look fine. I just wonder how many had to settle for a plan b etc. I have not seen that pug, but its very cute! :lol: The world famous dougthepug resides in Nashville as well. Perhaps mine will meet both :P

hey, recent grad here (i try to visit the page everyone once in a while). I went to Owen for consulting, interned in consulting, and joined FT. Without question, if you want to go into consulting, there will be a role for you. That being said, if you want to work for McKinsey (and many prospectives seem to think they do), Owen is not the place. We place strongly into everything outside of MBB, although we've sent at least 1 person to a MBB over the past 4 consecutive years (and possibly more). Culture-wise, the kind of student who chooses Owen isn't really pining for McK anyway.

Thanks for chiming in. Can you expand on the bolded? Are there any more boutique consulting firms that do slightly different work, or with some social enterprise elements, or with better work-life balance, etc. that Owen places into?

I'd take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but I think some schools just attract people who want a certain career that may not have to be MBBor GS/MS/JPM. I interviewed at UT recently and the 2nd year told me that most folks who want to do banking end up doing energy i-banking in Houston...and that McCombs isn't really the best if you're trying to land in NYC. Sort of shows in their employement reports...other schools the top placement for finance may be northeast, but at UT, it's slim with most staying in Texas. UT also seems strong on tech and finance is actually 3rd most common whereas in most others I've looked at finance is #2 (all after consulting, which seems to be what most people doing MBA get).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 22:50
Hmm- cool jobs people have gotten.

Here are a bunch of ones I think were interesting:
Tech- Google, Uber, Tesla (i consider it more tech than automotive)
Health Care- Amgen, Genentech, HCA
Brand- General Mills, P&G, Frito
Finance- Bain's PE group
HR- Disney, Microsoft
Sports- NFL long snapper (that one automatically wins...)
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 14:10
I just received an email invite to Welcome Weekend (and it says "congrats on your admission"), but no official call or email from an adcom member yet. Anyone else get this?
Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 14:13
lvgriffin13 wrote:
I just received an email invite to Welcome Weekend (and it says "congrats on your admission"), but no official call or email from an adcom member yet. Anyone else get this?

I did, but I had already been told of my admission.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 14:33
lvgriffin13 wrote:

I got it as well, but I've been notified of my admission. I think that's a good sign for you! :-D
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 14:56
lvgriffin13 wrote:

I did too and hadn't been notified of admission beforehand. I sent an email to clarify but before getting a response back (still waiting), my admissions portal was updated, so check there! Said more information will be coming via mail in the coming days/weeks.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 15:04
alexborowski wrote:
lvgriffin13 wrote:

I did too and hadn't been notified of admission beforehand. I sent an email to clarify but before getting a response back (still waiting), my admissions portal was updated, so check there! Said more information will be coming via mail in the coming days/weeks.

Congrats! Funny thing is I got a phone call 3 weeks ago and my portal still isnt updated :lol:
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 16:04
PugLyfe wrote:
alexborowski wrote:
lvgriffin13 wrote:

Congrats! Funny thing is I got a phone call 3 weeks ago and my portal still isnt updated :lol:

Congrats all! Turned out I was just impatient - just got an email saying my status was updated - I'm in!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 18:19
Congratulations to all of you! It is even greater that any of you could attend this Welcome Weekend. Nearly impossible for an international applicant like me
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 13:55
lvgriffin13 wrote:

lvgriffin13 When did you interview?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 15:00
alannap wrote:
lvgriffin13 wrote:

lvgriffin13 When did you interview?

Feb 20th during Discover Weekend on campus
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 19:15
In with $$$$
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.35
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 20:32
got the call! in with $
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 23:27
Did anyone's letter say they have an acceptance that is conditional? A bit worried about that!
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 08:06
Congrats to all R2 admits!! Per our forum stats 20 applicants have been accepted in R2 so far. Decision deadline is on tomorrow. Can we expect any admit calls tomorrow or just ding /waitlist emails?

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 08:16
After prowling last year's forum, it looks like they were sending out acceptances (with scholarship $) on the deadline date up until the late afternoon. If they follow the same trend this year, then we can stay hopeful!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 18:56
Narenn wrote:
Congrats to all R2 admits!! Per our forum stats 20 applicants have been accepted in R2 so far. Decision deadline is on tomorrow. Can we expect any admit calls tomorrow or just ding /waitlist emails?

I'd be very surprised if I received anything other than waitlist / ding. Seems to be the round 2 trend this year

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 19:20
atl12688 where do you think you went wrong on your apps? Your hard stats are good. IMO your gpa/gmat should not have precluded you from any of the programs you applied to. It boils down to work experience, extra curricular activities, essays and interviews. Hopefully you hear back with good news tomorrow from Owen. Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 09:50
When will result come?
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 15 Mar 2016, 09:50

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    Next  [ 345 posts ] 

Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap