GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 2.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 05:27
teja18892 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on your admits to HEC. Just wondering if you might be able to help me out on this one.

I applied for the Jan 2020 intake at HEC Paris in Sep 2019 (Considering I am an international applicant, I realize how late I applied), anyways, I received an email from the HEC team as below.

Thank you once again for applying to the HEC Paris MBA. We held our pre-selection admissions jury today and assessed your application with careful consideration. Your overall profile has many strong elements, however your current GRE/GMAT score is below the average of the incoming class.

We believe your essays, academic achievements and your career path demonstrate a fit for HEC Paris, and because of these reasons, we are happy to keep your application open and give you a chance to improve your score. An increased GRE/GMAT score will strengthen your application and it will ensure that you will be successful in the classroom. If you have already tried the GMAT several times, we suggest trying the GRE, and we want to reassure you that we will only consider your highest score.

Please let us know if you would like to proceed with your application with your current score, or if you would like to take this opportunity to try the test again. If you decide to retake, please share with us your new score when you have it and we will evaluate your application in the subsequent pre-selection jury.

Unquote

Considering I am already pretty late in the application process, I informed them that I would like my application to be considered with my current GMAT score of 670.

Do you know of anyone who has faced something similar?

Thank you

My two cents:

- 670 is a bit on the lower side especially if you are maybe from an over represented country. If you are from an over represented country say China or India, then you should think about retaking. When I did the initial evaluation for HEC paris i did it with a 320 GRE ( which is 650 equivalent), the admission team said that it will be good enough. I was surprised a bit but only reason I can think of it me being from under represented country (they did kind of indirectly mentioned it ).

- Since GRE is something they have suggested you to take. Maybe you should go with it. I feel that schools which have no preference for either test are kind of lenient towards GRE scores ( I say this based on school data and profiles that I saw when I planned on taking GRE instaed of GMAT)

- If HEC is your dream school, then maybe just give the GMAT or GRE and go in September intake. Who knows you might get a great score and actually land a scholarship.

Cheers!

Saleh
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 05:30
helas92 wrote:
teja18892 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on your admits to HEC. Just wondering if you might be able to help me out on this one.

I applied for the Jan 2020 intake at HEC Paris in Sep 2019 (Considering I am an international applicant, I realize how late I applied), anyways, I received an email from the HEC team as below.

Thank you once again for applying to the HEC Paris MBA. We held our pre-selection admissions jury today and assessed your application with careful consideration. Your overall profile has many strong elements, however your current GRE/GMAT score is below the average of the incoming class.

We believe your essays, academic achievements and your career path demonstrate a fit for HEC Paris, and because of these reasons, we are happy to keep your application open and give you a chance to improve your score. An increased GRE/GMAT score will strengthen your application and it will ensure that you will be successful in the classroom. If you have already tried the GMAT several times, we suggest trying the GRE, and we want to reassure you that we will only consider your highest score.

Please let us know if you would like to proceed with your application with your current score, or if you would like to take this opportunity to try the test again. If you decide to retake, please share with us your new score when you have it and we will evaluate your application in the subsequent pre-selection jury.

Unquote

Considering I am already pretty late in the application process, I informed them that I would like my application to be considered with my current GMAT score of 670.

Do you know of anyone who has faced something similar?

Thank you

My two cents:

- 670 is a bit on the lower side especially if you are maybe from an over represented country. If you are from an over represented country say China or India, then you should think about retaking. When I did the initial evaluation for HEC paris i did it with a 320 GRE ( which is 650 equivalent), the admission team said that it will be good enough. I was surprised a bit but only reason I can think of it me being from under represented country (they did kind of indirectly mentioned it ).

- Since GRE is something they have suggested you to take. Maybe you should go with it. I feel that schools which have no preference for either test are kind of lenient towards GRE scores ( I say this based on school data and profiles that I saw when I planned on taking GRE instaed of GMAT)

- If HEC is your dream school, then maybe just give the GMAT or GRE and go in September intake. Who knows you might get a great score and actually land a scholarship.

Cheers!

Saleh

Thank you Saleh, and congrats on your admission. I AM from an overly represented pool, Indian, Engineer. I probably need to retake the GMAT but have been stuck at 670 for my past two attempts.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
S
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 20:32
helas92 wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
helas92 wrote:
Just got to know that I have got in for Jan 2020 intake. The decision came by email.

Saleh

Posted from my mobile device

Hey,
Many congratulations to you. Are you going to accept the offer?
Is there any school you are targeting?

I didn't get into IMD. I had applied to WHU in German where I have gotten a scholarship too. I will wait for my scholarship decision from HEC and then decide on the way forward.

Saleh

Sorry to hear about IMD. I strongly suggest you to go for HEC even if they don't give you scholarship.

"Nobody can predict your admit chances unless you apply"
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 20:41
teja18892 wrote:

Thank you Saleh, and congrats on your admission. I AM from an overly represented pool, Indian, Engineer. I probably need to retake the GMAT but have been stuck at 670 for my past two attempts.

Try to get 690-700. If you cannot, try GRE. Do not hurry. Even if you miss deadline of your preferred intake, you can try for the next intake.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 07:52
Cheers All
Admitted to HEC Paris too, Jan 2020 intake. Looking forward to connect with my future classmates ;-)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2019, 08:12
Me too ! Is there a group for admitted candidates ?
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 01:02
StevenMc wrote:
Cheers All
Admitted to HEC Paris too, Jan 2020 intake. Looking forward to connect with my future classmates ;-)

Congratulations,
Please update your school status and follow the below link to connect with admitted students:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p2362681

S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 01:35
Rose2012 wrote:
Me too ! Is there a group for admitted candidates ?

Congratulations,
Please update your school status and follow the below link to connect with admitted students:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p2362681

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: LBS '22, HEC '22, NUS '22
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q164 V155
Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 02:53
Hey Everybody!

I've created a whatsapp group for HEC applicants for 2020 Sep Intake. I have already added couple of applicants to the group.
the group is mainly setup to help each other out during the application process

Join the group using the link or PM to add your no.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/GIB9JAIB3TPJjiRZ0Wvz5G

thanks
Prudhvi
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 07:00
Hello,

I got a GRE score of 318 and have 9 years of work ex (both US and India).

Thought of sending the HEC Admissions council an email with my resume and scores .

I got a positive response from them and they have arranged to have a call with me about my MBA goals.

I am yet to send out an application though.

Do you think , this would be a fruitful and worthwhile exercise ?

Thanks,
Amrita
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 07:08
Hi,
You can take this call for your advantage by learning more about them, explaining and discussing your goals. They will give you an unofficial feedback on the things which you are strong and the things which you can improve. I have personally took this opportunity in 1 to 1 meeting and it was really helpful.
When are you thinking to apply? Can you provide more details about your profile?

Regards

AmritaRoy1 wrote:
Hello,

I got a GRE score of 318 and have 9 years of work ex (both US and India).

Thought of sending the HEC Admissions council an email with my resume and scores .

I got a positive response from them and they have arranged to have a call with me about my MBA goals.

I am yet to send out an application though.

Do you think , this would be a fruitful and worthwhile exercise ?

Thanks,
Amrita

ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:
INSEAD MBA 11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 07:22
Hi AmritaRoy1,

maybe not worthwhile in the sense of much higher chances of gaining admission, but it is always good to have as many interactions as possible with the school. At the very least, you can ask questions about the program, the application process... while you discuss your goals post-MBA. This is always useful.

Keep in mind that, with these calls, they want to make sure that you have all the information necessary so that you feel comfortable applying.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Check out our REVIEWS on GMAT Club here

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 11:21
Yes

You should for for it if aiming to get into the school. It is a good way to get a feel of the school and ask for names of couple of alumni whom you can contact
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2019, 11:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 193 posts ] 

Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sjas31