GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 2.79
Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 06:09
Haven't heard yet, but it is only 0900 where I live. I'm excited!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 06:16
Got admitted! Just saw it on the dashboard. All the best to all others who are waiting for results.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 07:49
Decision postponed until Wednesday, no reason given. I'm in the midwestern US.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 23:57
Hello everyone! I just got admitted yesterday and I am absolutely elated until today when I started stressing out about the 9k euro deposit. I am American and I was really expecting to use FAFSA to cover my initial deposit but I just found out that the process for European schools is different from the States. In the States, if you are paying using federal financial aid, the school will work with the Department of Education on the disbursement dates but abroad it seems like they have strict dates as to when they can disburse funds to a school. I looked into Prodigy but unfortunately, their loans work similar to FAFSA and they may not be used for initial deposits. :( I reached out to BNP Paribas because I read on the HEC website that they loan to foreign students with an international bank guarantee. I did read that they are on the slow side for processing though. Has anyone gone through this process and if so what are your thoughts on this lender? They seem to have the lowest interest rates compared to Prodigy and even US federal student loans.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.36

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 05:09
Hi
Any idea about when the pre-selection results for the 3rd of June round will be declared or did anyone hear from HEC ?

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 12:00
Hi,

If there is a group for admitted students would someone please add me to it. It will be good to discuss about the process since most of us are on the same boat.

Vinil.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 14:58
Anyone get the word today? I know many decisions were delayed until Wednesday (today) but I didn't hear anything.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 23:39
Just received an email last week that I am pre-selected to the interview session. Are there any tips for the presentation slide and interview?
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 06:42
Hi starkfromthenorth how did it go? Sorry for not responding at the time, I never receive notifications for some reason.
starkfromthenorth wrote:
Just received an email last week that I am pre-selected to the interview session. Are there any tips for the presentation slide and interview?

D

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 06:45
Hi DifficultLemon looks like you were admitted to HEC but headed to IESE - probably because it starts in September?
Curious how you made your decision. I have a couple clients joining you at IESE in September.
DifficultLemon wrote:
Anyone get the word today? I know many decisions were delayed until Wednesday (today) but I didn't hear anything.

D

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 06:54
Hi binky my heart goes out to you, I would be stressed out too if I needed to come up with 9K as a big surprise. My apologies but I don't know much about loan financing outside of Prodigy; what you mentioned about BNP makes sense to me; I imagine you compared their rates with HSBC and other lenders. Did you get things worked out?

binky wrote:
Hello everyone! I just got admitted yesterday and I am absolutely elated until today when I started stressing out about the 9k euro deposit. I am American and I was really expecting to use FAFSA to cover my initial deposit but I just found out that the process for European schools is different from the States. In the States, if you are paying using federal financial aid, the school will work with the Department of Education on the disbursement dates but abroad it seems like they have strict dates as to when they can disburse funds to a school. I looked into Prodigy but unfortunately, their loans work similar to FAFSA and they may not be used for initial deposits. :( I reached out to BNP Paribas because I read on the HEC website that they loan to foreign students with an international bank guarantee. I did read that they are on the slow side for processing though. Has anyone gone through this process and if so what are your thoughts on this lender? They seem to have the lowest interest rates compared to Prodigy and even US federal student loans.

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 12:34
MBAPrepCoach, IESE was the original first choice for both me & my family. It was a great but difficult time getting into my first two choices. In the end, we felt the heavier focus on families and case method at IESE would be a better fit for us & me. There were other small differences, but fit was the most meaningful one.

We're hoping we can do an exchange and HEC is our current first choice.
INSEAD School Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 05:32
That is wonderful DifficultLemon, I'm very happy for you. There is a huge amount of satisfaction among IESE graduates - one of my clients who will be there this fall contacted like 55 alums and each and every one got back to her. I actually was not aware of their family-friendly resources; that is great to know, happy to learn about that for the benefit of future clients. Have fun in Barcelona! Good luck to you. Super jelly.

DifficultLemon wrote:
MBAPrepCoach, IESE was the original first choice for both me & my family. It was a great but difficult time getting into my first two choices. In the end, we felt the heavier focus on families and case method at IESE would be a better fit for us & me. There were other small differences, but fit was the most meaningful one.

We're hoping we can do an exchange and HEC is our current first choice.

Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 06:19
This chat has been fairly quiet. So much so I'm a little apprehensive to post. But I just got the call from HEC and have gotten the good news of an admit.

All the best to the rest waiting for the news.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Marketing (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 06:42
jayarajd wrote:
This chat has been fairly quiet. So much so I'm a little apprehensive to post. But I just got the call from HEC and have gotten the good news of an admit.

Great news. Well done.

Inversely, I just withdraw my application from HEC after having received admission. This leaves one more seat open for waitlisters and applicants, good luck to all.

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 08:29
jayarajd congratulations!!

I would also love for this thread to become more active. Please always feel free to post, it is very welcomed! Do you plan to matriculate at HEC? How did the presentation go, and what tips would you have for others in the process? What interested you in HEC, are you planning to relocate? please share a bit about your profile and what helped you get into HEC, on the qualitative side of things.

jayarajd wrote:

Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2019, 10:32
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

I would also love for this thread to become more active. Please always feel free to post, it is very welcomed! Do you plan to matriculate at HEC? How did the presentation go, and what tips would you have for others in the process? What interested you in HEC, are you planning to relocate? please share a bit about your profile and what helped you get into HEC, on the qualitative side of things.

jayarajd wrote:

Thank you very much MBAPrepCoach! Let me try and share on the various points you mentioned..

A bit about my profile :
- Current Role : IT Project / Product / Programme Manager with Government (4 years here)
- 10+ years total working experience (private sector for 6 years and then public sector; in technology throughout)
- Singaporean (Nationality) Indian (Ethnic Minority in Singapore)
- Undergrad from National University of Singapore with a B.Computing (GPA: 2.3 / 5.0)
- GMAT : 730 (Q49, V41, IR6, AWA6)
- Have some experience working with a number of international companies (Amazon, Google, etc.) at my current job and also managing teams/projects across Asia, Middle East & Africa in a previous job.
- Have managed a team for 1 year (with some staff based locally and others in the region) in my first 2 years of working. Since then, I've not had any direct reports in my teams but I've managed numerous services suppliers to deliver IT projects I oversee.

I applied for 3 schools : Insead, HEC & IE. I narrowed my choices to programs that
- had a January intake
- offered programmes lasting less than 18 months
- touted, and were also well-known for, diversity
- had a number of alumni who were willing to chat with me prior to my application and gave both positive feedback on their experiences and warning for me to take note of
- had admissions directors/staff who regularly engaged me after knowing of my initial interests
- have been seen to feed well into tech industry post-MBA
- have had decent rankings across the past decade or so
- were 'heard of' generally amidst the people I work with
I was honestly expecting to not be accepted by any of them, given my low GPA and limited leadership and international experiences, so these were "dream shots". I already had a second, and third, trench of schools in mind that I was prepared to apply to, since I expected not having positive news from these schools. As expected, I did get dinged (w/o interview) by Insead, but surprisingly, I got through to the interviews for IE and HEC, and secured admits to both. I'm currently personally torn between both these schools. So I'll probably be spending a lot of time this coming week, to read up even more, to talk to more alumni, to discuss things with my wife, to plan out the 12/16 months at the respective schools, before I make the final decision.

On the whole I found the process for applying and getting to admit quite straightforward with HEC. My presentations went well I believed and this was validated by the interviewers and also the Admissions Officer who called me to inform me of the good news (an extremely, extremely pleasant phone call I must say). I routinely handle a lot of stakeholder engagements and presentations in my job, to people from various levels (working, mid-management, C-suite). As such, I went into my presentation fairly confident and it helped that the topic I picked was around a work project and something I'm extremely passionate about. That particular project I presented on covered 3 of 4 tenets of HEC's MBA Philosophy (diversity, leadership and passion). I believe that was an important factor too. Honestly, I feel that i did well for all the interviews because I went in with the mindset that I was , simply just meeting a person who didn't know as much about me and sharing to 'introduce myself' and share facts around my life. If you are simply sharing your honest thoughts and experiences, it's usually quite straightforward. That's the approach I've used to successfully land all my jobs throughout my career, and here too. This includes being honest in saying "I don't know" and "I'm not experienced in that" (which did happen at these interviews too).

Hope this sharing helps. Let me know what else I can share with that may help other applicant's in future too!
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 06:50
Hi jayarajd,
Many congratulations for the admit. It's great to know about you in detail. Thank you so much for the time spent to share this valuable information, which will be helpful to the other applicants.

I will recommend HEC ahead of IE. Let us know your final decision :)

jayarajd wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

jayarajd wrote:

Thank you very much MBAPrepCoach! Let me try and share on the various points you mentioned..

A bit about my profile :
- Current Role : IT Project / Product / Programme Manager with Government (4 years here)
- 10+ years total working experience (private sector for 6 years and then public sector; in technology throughout)
- Undergrad from National University of Singapore with a B.Computing (GPA: 2.3 / 5.0)
- Have some experience working with a number of international companies (Amazon, Google, etc.) at my current job and also managing teams/projects across Asia, Middle East & Africa in a previous job.
- Have managed a team for 1 year (with some staff based locally and others in the region) in my first 2 years of working. Since then, I've not had any direct reports in my teams but I've managed numerous services suppliers to deliver IT projects I oversee.

I applied for 3 schools : Insead, HEC & IE. I narrowed my choices to programs that
- had a January intake
- had a number of alumni who were willing to chat with me prior to my application and gave both positive feedback on their experiences and warning for me to take note of
- had admissions directors/staff who regularly engaged me after knowing of my initial interests
I was honestly expecting to not be accepted by any of them, given my low GPA and limited leadership and international experiences, so these were "dream shots". I already had a second, and third, trench of schools in mind that I was prepared to apply to, since I expected not having positive news from these schools. As expected, I did get dinged (w/o interview) by Insead, but surprisingly, I got through to the interviews for IE and HEC, and secured admits to both. I'm currently personally torn between both these schools. So I'll probably be spending a lot of time this coming week, to read up even more, to talk to more alumni, to discuss things with my wife, to plan out the 12/16 months at the respective schools, before I make the final decision.

On the whole I found the process for applying and getting to admit quite straightforward with HEC. My presentations went well I believed and this was validated by the interviewers and also the Admissions Officer who called me to inform me of the good news (an extremely, extremely pleasant phone call I must say). I routinely handle a lot of stakeholder engagements and presentations in my job, to people from various levels (working, mid-management, C-suite). As such, I went into my presentation fairly confident and it helped that the topic I picked was around a work project and something I'm extremely passionate about. That particular project I presented on covered 3 of 4 tenets of HEC's MBA Philosophy (diversity, leadership and passion). I believe that was an important factor too. Honestly, I feel that i did well for all the interviews because I went in with the mindset that I was , simply just meeting a person who didn't know as much about me and sharing to 'introduce myself' and share facts around my life. If you are simply sharing your honest thoughts and experiences, it's usually quite straightforward. That's the approach I've used to successfully land all my jobs throughout my career, and here too. This includes being honest in saying "I don't know" and "I'm not experienced in that" (which did happen at these interviews too).

Hope this sharing helps. Let me know what else I can share with that may help other applicant's in future too!

Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.36

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 22:20
Did anyone receive the pre-selection jury results for the July 1st deadline ?

INSEAD School Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 01:45
enormously helpful jayarajd thanks so much for your generous contribution here

jayarajd wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

jayarajd wrote:

A bit about my profile :

- had a January intake

Re: Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2019, 01:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 193 posts ] 

Calling All Paris HEC MBA Applicants: January 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sjas31