It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q38 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 10:16
Applied just in time for the Feb 27 deadline. Haven't heard a thing. Wondering how long these things take?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
gtg272f wrote:
Applied just in time for the Feb 27 deadline. Haven't heard a thing. Wondering how long these things take?

Don't worry, I applied on 24th of January and still haven't heard a thing! Which is both good and bad, I guess. But people on every possible forum are talking about slowly the applications are being processed at Rotman this year.

Hopefully, they will improve upon the speed because good candidates are ending up choosing other schools.

Good luck! :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 0

Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
It's great that you're able to narrow down your choices. I'd caution you against narrowing down your applications if you still intend to apply to the other schools. Narrow them down once you've got the offers of admission is my advice, but also focus your application efforts to the schools you really want, but still apply to the others.

Yes, French is a great asset, but it is not easy to learn, especially not while you're doing your MBA at the same time, or even after, when you're trying to establish your career immediately post-MBA. Montreal is also not like the rest of Quebec where they're very francophone; you can get by in Montreal without speaking a word of French. Think of it as trying to learn Chinese in Hong Kong or Korean in Seoul.

I'm also aware that 30% of Desautels grads come to Toronto, but I'm also willing to bet that these grads have an established network in Toronto already, or have a good starting point. If this is true, it's very hard for international students who might not have a base. However, the Korean community here is pretty big and they're very inclusive of other Koreans, so you might have a leg up.

eunjukim wrote:
1) Do you happen to know what happens to students who don't find jobs after 6 months? Or which industries they come from? You said you know everyone in your 300 students class, can you tell me which industries they wanted and why they didn't place? What support is in place for such students by Rotman Careers Office?

I think you're getting too hung up on the stats. I was aware of these stats going into the MBA, and I started the MBA with no real work experience coming directly from graduate school. Work hard in class, work hard in interview prep, work hard in networking, and you'll be fine. I think you're in a much better place than me when I started.

You have to realize that not all Rotman MBAs are the same. Just like anywhere else, there are those who do not put in the effort and feel that they're entitled to things just because they got in, and I'm pretty sure they make up the majority of the 15%.

It's difficult to tell what industries they're from. Yes, I knew most of them, but that was during the MBA. Post-MBA, I've been focused on my career and the only ones I really keep in touch with are my fellow consultants. Unfortunately, I can't help you on this point.

Support is great from the Career Centre. Again, you'll have to put in the effort. They're not going to go above and beyond just because you're a Rotman MBA, but if they see you coming to their office to practice interview skills or develop resume-writing or cover letter skills and know you're working hard at it, they're going to invest that much more in you. Post-MBA is the same. They know how tough the job market is, and they're willing to help. Keep in mind though, their primary charge is the current students, so it might be difficult to get their full attention and effort during heavy recruiting periods, but other than that they're very helpful. You also retain access to the career portal for job postings, but I don't know for how long after. I do know that some of the postings I saw indicate that the companies were looking for grads from as far back as 2014.

eunjukim wrote:
2) One very attractive feature of Rotman's programs is an array of courses. I heard that not all classes are available and that you need to compete to access them. Is that fact?

I think you are talking about CDL, the Creative Destruction Lab. Yes, that's competitive to get in, and you have to do interviews. The CDL is a start-up incubator, and you work directly with the start-ups, so the interview system is understandable. There's also a limited number of start-ups, so the limited seats make sense.

Other than that, getting into the rest of the second-year courses is based on how you allocate your points, and it's a pretty good system that'll take me too long to explain. I never had any trouble getting into the courses I wanted, so I don't think it's an issue. As for first-year, well they're all core courses and mandatory; you don't even have to choose anything until the summer courses.

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [3], given: 0

GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.84

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Admitted!! :)

Kudos [?]: 7 [3], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.01
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 11:31
It's been a month since I have completed my application. Still no news. Should we assume that like schulich, Rotman has filled up as well? Or are they still shortlisting candidates?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.84

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 11:54
sidiitm2004 wrote:
It's been a month since I have completed my application. Still no news. Should we assume that like schulich, Rotman has filled up as well? Or are they still shortlisting candidates?

Well there is still a possibility that they are still shortlisting. I applied on Dec 27th, but the first communication from Rotman was on the 1st of March!!!! Although the process went on pretty fast from that day.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
King632 wrote:
sidiitm2004 wrote:

Well there is still a possibility that they are still shortlisting. I applied on Dec 27th, but the first communication from Rotman was on the 1st of March!!!! Although the process went on pretty fast from that day.

Nice. I hope they still are shortlisting.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 14:22
So for those already admitted, are you required to send official GMAT score if you used unofficial score report back then? There's no mentioning of that in my admission package. It'd be great if we can save some money

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

IE Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GRE 1: 325 Q161 V164
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 22:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I got in too..

Applied - 2 Jan
Interview invite - 1 Mar
Interview - 3 Mar
Admit phone call - 10 Mar

Stats.
Nigerian, +6 WE in Big4 Consulting and Corp. Finance in Technology company, GMAT 680, CGPA 4.03/5.00, Founder of a tech Startup

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 13:10
I applied on Feb 26
Interview invitation on March 3
Interview on March 6

Waiting for the result.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 20:08
Ser610 wrote:
I applied on Feb 26
Interview on March 6

Waiting for the result.

That is super fast. May I know your profile?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 21:56
sidiitm2004 wrote:
Ser610 wrote:
I applied on Feb 26
Interview on March 6

Waiting for the result.

Sure, I am 28 years old, from Peru. 6 years of sales experience in an international telecommunications company.
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.9

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 22:14
Ser610 wrote:
sidiitm2004 wrote:
Ser610 wrote:
I applied on Feb 26
Interview on March 6

Waiting for the result.

Sure, I am 28 years old, from Peru. 6 years of sales experience in an international telecommunications company.
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.9

Brilliant. Good luck. Hope you make it.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 22:41
sidiitm2004 wrote:

So there's no hope now for Schulich? :( :(

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:55
combat2016 wrote:
sidiitm2004 wrote:

Depends. May be they have exhausted Indian quota. I think that's the case with rotman as well. If you are not Indian , then you still might have a chance.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 03:00
sidiitm2004 wrote:
combat2016 wrote:
sidiitm2004 wrote:

Depends. May be they have exhausted Indian quota. I think that's the case with rotman as well. If you are not Indian , then you still might have a chance.

:lol: I am from India...time to move on then i guess..how did you get this info?

1 KUDOS received
IE Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GRE 1: 325 Q161 V164
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)
Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
combat2016 wrote:
:lol: I am from India...time to move on then i guess..how did you get this info?

Very possible they have exhausted space for Indians. See the post by the Peruvian, got interviewed within 8 days of application. Wait until US schools release decision this week, Indians and others will decline Rotman offer for US Schools, and that will free-up space for you. The school must fill-up it 350 spaces whether Americans come or not. Stay strong my pal.

Schulich is still shortlisting from my part of the world, there is space that might be filled by other races/nationalities

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 04:57
tyor wrote:
combat2016 wrote:

Very possible they have exhausted space for Indians. See the post by the Peruvian, got interviewed within 8 days of application. Wait until US schools release decision this week, Indians and others will decline Rotman offer for US Schools, and that will free-up space for you. The school must fill-up it 350 spaces whether Americans come or not. Stay strong my pal.

Schulich is still shortlisting from my part of the world, there is space that might be filled by other races/nationalities

I definitely hope slots get freed up in Rotman...i was leaning heavily on Rotman and Schulich

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 4

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
I mean I'm a local applicant and I haven't heard anything despite applying on Jan 2nd.
Maybe they are trying to get all the international applications out of the way first.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
combat2016 wrote:
tyor wrote:
combat2016 wrote:

I definitely hope slots get freed up in Rotman...i was leaning heavily on Rotman and Schulich

I think I got an early response beacuse Leigh is touring South America at the moment and she took advantage of this to interview me in person.

Consider this. Good Luck to all!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2017, 09:21

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  30    Next  [ 587 posts ] 

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: mihir0710, pushpitkc

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap