It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.41
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 19:59
nandy70772 wrote:
Folks with admits - please PM me your number, we have a new whatsapp group.

As mentioned on the other threads, there is a Telegram group for admitted students after you're invited to join the Facebook group

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 21:20
Kelvin91 wrote:
nandy70772 wrote:
Folks with admits - please PM me your number, we have a new whatsapp group.

As mentioned on the other threads, there is a Telegram group for admitted students after you're invited to join the Facebook group

Noted, thanks!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 02:04
Anyone interviewed by Ally in Round 2 and still waiting for a decision?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 08:06
Guys, is it necessary to send official GMAT score to Rotman or do they accept unofficial (reported score) for the application review process?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 09:00
mba2017a wrote:
Anyone interviewed by Ally in Round 2 and still waiting for a decision?

I was interviewed by Jamie in round 2, still no decision.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 15:23
I received email from my interviewer two weeks ago who informed me of my admission. Since then no official communication or news about scholarship. Anyone else in the same boat?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 4: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 5: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 18:30
Just got an email - wait listed.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.84

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 04:56
Just got an invite to interview with Rotman and with a very warm apology for the delay. I submitted my application on the 27th of Dec, (with the CFA option), so I had given up already on receiving a positive response.

Jamie suggested Friday for the interview, so I will appreciate it if someone can provide some details on the type of behavioral questions asked. And to all those still expecting a response from Rotman, I guess there is still a chance of receiving an invite soon.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Strategy, General Management

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 07:50
I sent an e-mail to adcom and got no reply... it's been about a week. I understand that they are busy, but if I don't get a reply by next week, I am heading to McGill...

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: ISB '19, Rotman '19, IIM
GMAT 1: 550 Q36 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 3: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3.6
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 07:28
In Process of Taking Re-Taking GMAT in July 2017

Researching or Writing Essays
GMAT: 550, Q36, V26
GPA: 3.6
WE: 84 months
Industry: Other

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Brand Management (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 10:34
Hi everyone! I am new and I am about to submit my applications to McGill & Rotman mainly (also considering Schulich, Sauder and Ivey.. getting a bit worried for the visa though...)
I am Korean with 5 years of experience working in mainly marketing / PR role. I got only 710 on my GMAT and exactly 100 on TOEFL... I hope it will be enough! Most Koreans go to the school in the US so there is not a lot of information about Canada in Korean threads online.. I was reading the schools thread and see a lot of different opinions on the Canadian top schools. Anyone want to share some more information or personal experience? My main concern is post-graduation placement. The stats from all schools look quite similar but is there anything else I should consider?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 11:20
Anyone that applied in R2 still waiting to hear anything?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 13:24
DealMonkey wrote:
Anyone that applied in R2 still waiting to hear anything?

Me. I am starting to question whether Rotman even cares about the applicants. I really find it unacceptable that they are keeping some people in the dark without a single word of explanation or apology. I even inquired about the status through an e-mail a couple weeks ago and got no reply whatsoever. I am really losing my interest in this program and I am not sure if I would even consider going to Rotman even if I end up being accepted.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 16:44
eunjukim wrote:
Hi everyone! I am new and I am about to submit my applications to McGill & Rotman mainly (also considering Schulich, Sauder and Ivey.. getting a bit worried for the visa though...)
I am Korean with 5 years of experience working in mainly marketing / PR role. I got only 710 on my GMAT and exactly 100 on TOEFL... I hope it will be enough! Most Koreans go to the school in the US so there is not a lot of information about Canada in Korean threads online.. I was reading the schools thread and see a lot of different opinions on the Canadian top schools. Anyone want to share some more information or personal experience? My main concern is post-graduation placement. The stats from all schools look quite similar but is there anything else I should consider?

The schools you listed are five of the Top 6 Canadian schools for MBAs. I think they actually have an informal group and they discuss with each other on business school practices. Anyway... if you want more information, please ask specific questions and we'll try to help.

The Top 6 usually would have very similar placement stats post-graduation. What you should look into is where those placements are. If you want to go into consulting or banking, come to Rotman (or Ivey, but since you're a career switcher I'd suggest a two-year program). If you want to stay in marketing, then maybe Schulich (although Rotman's marketing has been growing strong).

Tough to help without specific questions.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 16:51
jigglypuff wrote:
eunjukim wrote:

The schools you listed are five of the Top 6 Canadian schools for MBAs. I think they actually have an informal group and they discuss with each other on business school practices. Anyway... if you want more information, please ask specific questions and we'll try to help.

The Top 6 usually would have very similar placement stats post-graduation. What you should look into is where those placements are. If you want to go into consulting or banking, come to Rotman (or Ivey, but since you're a career switcher I'd suggest a two-year program). If you want to stay in marketing, then maybe Schulich (although Rotman's marketing has been growing strong).

I'd add that you must have a reason to choose Canada over the US for an MBA. Not saying that MBA from Canada are not worthy, but there is a reason you don't see many Koreans (and other nationalities for that matter) coming in droves (in comparison) to Canada.
If you are looking at immigration - you are on the right path and none would do you wrong.
If there is anything else - as jigglypuff said, we need specifics.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 09:45
hiren2011 wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:
eunjukim wrote:

I'd add that you must have a reason to choose Canada over the US for an MBA. Not saying that MBA from Canada are not worthy, but there is a reason you don't see many Koreans (and other nationalities for that matter) coming in droves (in comparison) to Canada.
If you are looking at immigration - you are on the right path and none would do you wrong.
If there is anything else - as jigglypuff said, we need specifics.

Hi, actually I am considering working for a few years in Canada and if I like it, maybe immigration? The quality of life seems good there with a good work-life balance and I am trying to escape the pressure of Korea. (I just got off work and it's 1:30 am).. Also, my concern with the US is the change in work permit regulation and in general politics in relation to the foreigners. I hear that Canada has a guaranteed work permit for 3 years for students who do a 2 years MBA. So that's why I decided to focus on Canada.
I am considering either staying in marketing or making a switch to something in analytics, depending on the opportunities that I get. I am open.

Rotman is ranked at the top in Canada but my biggest concern is that they have 15% of their students who are jobless after 6 months.. 15% of 350 students.. that's 52 students? I don't think I would be one of those but considering they get top students, it is an important statistic. My other concern is that Toronto is also very expensive as a city, which is why I am considering other schools. Statistics at McGill, Ivey and Schulich show better placement rates and similar mean salaries. Some Canadian friends tells me that companies target any of the top 6 schools... This being said, Rotman is ranked first, so I am trying to make sense of all this. In Korea, rankings matter a lot.
On a more personal point, can anyone tell me a bit about the culture of students at Rotman? I have sent a few emails to ambassadors but I have never heard from them. Ambassadors at other schools like Ivey and McGill were very responsive on the other hand. The experience matters too, since I expect all top schools will offer good academics.

Sorry if I don't make sense it's late night and I guess I can summarize as follow:
1. Can someone tell me about the student culture at Rotman?
2. Does it make a huge difference being at the #1 school Rotman vs. Ivey, McGill, Schulich when it comes to getting opportunities with employers as well as salaries?
3. If there is any current student / grad here: Anyone studied or placed in business analytics / marketing ? I would love to hear more about the opportunities in that field

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 20:27
Anyone who has not yet got the admissions package?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 0

Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I'm a grad and I was an ambassador during my time there, so let's see if I can be of any help.

eunjukim wrote:

I found it to be very inclusive, and there is a very strong camaraderie that builds as first year progresses, since you're all in this journey together. I say "journey" to sugarcoat it, but it's a crazy first year, and everyone suffers through the tough times together so we all understand each other in ways that non-MBAs do not. Don't be surprised if in your two years of your MBA, your best friends are your MBA family.

There will be cliques, of course, although I've found this more to be an effect of career choice rather than nationality or any other factor. Those who are pursuing consulting/strategy stick together (we do have to practice case interviews with each other after all, and spend a ton of time doing so), and those who pursue finance stick together. It's just because of interests, taking the same classes, practising interviews... all that time together, naturally you form groups. I see those marketing kids stick together too. Still, we're all friends, and I knew most of my entire year of 336 students.

eunjukim wrote:
2. Does it make a huge difference being at the #1 school Rotman vs. Ivey, McGill, Schulich when it comes to getting opportunities with employers as well as salaries?

No, it does not really make a huge difference on which school you go to if you reach your goal in the end. Rotman and Ivey are the Top 2 consulting schools, so those were the only ones that made my list of criteria, and Ivey lost out because it was a one-year program. That was my choice. But you didn't say you want to focus in consulting, so... although you have to consider other things. What's the breakdown of those placements? How many of those students got into marketing? What kind of marketing company? What position? Is it the Nike, the Coca Cola or the small no-name mom and pop stores?

Don't look at averages, look at the breakdown of what you're aiming for and filter those out. In one year you could have 30 grads go into finance and make $150K a year, and another 30 grads go into something else making $50K a year, and that's still a $100K average. All I know is Rotman has grads in Nike, in Coca Cola...

Also think about the opportunity to network. Ivey is a great school so companies will make the trip. McGill is in Montreal, so your career placements will be in Quebec, a francophone community. Schulich... well, if you can hold a fork, you can go to York. Kidding aside though, within the local Toronto applicants, York doesn't have that great of a reputation. I don't know if they've fixed their admissions process; they used do admit students without a formal interview, so you'd have classmates that's never been interviewed and can't actually speak English, and that kills teamwork, among other things. Schulich is also far from downtown Toronto, while Rotman is smack in the middle of it. Many times I've had contacts at these consulting firms I was networking with suddenly have a meeting cancelled and can meet in 15-20 minutes. From Rotman, I can make that meeting. Anywhere else, I'd miss that opportunity.

eunjukim wrote:
3. If there is any current student / grad here: Anyone studied or placed in business analytics / marketing ? I would love to hear more about the opportunities in that field

Unfortunately I didn't go to analytics (though I had a taste of it since you need to be strong in it to go into consulting) or marketing, so I can't help you with this one.

And yes, Toronto is an expensive city, but everyone makes it work. In my personal opinion, it's with every penny you spend. And don't get too hung up on the placement statistics, there are many inaccuracies there since filling that questionnaire isn't a requirement at the end of the MBA or six months out. Entrepreneurs, for example, are probably considered unemployed. It's better if you can get a better picture of what's happening in marketing at the schools you mentioned, who is going where, who is placing at a higher rate with the top companies, whose marketing students are getting better salaries... don't look at the overall, since you're only focused in marketing.

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 0

Schools: Rotman '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V29
GPA: 3.81

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
God did a miracle. Got admitted with a 550 GMAT score

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 09:44
jigglypuff wrote:
Well, I'm a grad and I was an ambassador during my time there, so let's see if I can be of any help.

eunjukim wrote:

I found it to be very inclusive, and there is a very strong camaraderie that builds as first year progresses, since you're all in this journey together. I say "journey" to sugarcoat it, but it's a crazy first year, and everyone suffers through the tough times together so we all understand each other in ways that non-MBAs do not. Don't be surprised if in your two years of your MBA, your best friends are your MBA family.

There will be cliques, of course, although I've found this more to be an effect of career choice rather than nationality or any other factor. Those who are pursuing consulting/strategy stick together (we do have to practice case interviews with each other after all, and spend a ton of time doing so), and those who pursue finance stick together. It's just because of interests, taking the same classes, practising interviews... all that time together, naturally you form groups. I see those marketing kids stick together too. Still, we're all friends, and I knew most of my entire year of 336 students.

eunjukim wrote:

No, it does not really make a huge difference on which school you go to if you reach your goal in the end. Rotman and Ivey are the Top 2 consulting schools, so those were the only ones that made my list of criteria, and Ivey lost out because it was a one-year program. That was my choice. But you didn't say you want to focus in consulting, so... although you have to consider other things. What's the breakdown of those placements? How many of those students got into marketing? What kind of marketing company? What position? Is it the Nike, the Coca Cola or the small no-name mom and pop stores?

Don't look at averages, look at the breakdown of what you're aiming for and filter those out. In one year you could have 30 grads go into finance and make $150K a year, and another 30 grads go into something else making $50K a year, and that's still a $100K average. All I know is Rotman has grads in Nike, in Coca Cola...

Also think about the opportunity to network. Ivey is a great school so companies will make the trip. McGill is in Montreal, so your career placements will be in Quebec, a francophone community. Schulich... well, if you can hold a fork, you can go to York. Kidding aside though, within the local Toronto applicants, York doesn't have that great of a reputation. I don't know if they've fixed their admissions process; they used do admit students without a formal interview, so you'd have classmates that's never been interviewed and can't actually speak English, and that kills teamwork, among other things. Schulich is also far from downtown Toronto, while Rotman is smack in the middle of it. Many times I've had contacts at these consulting firms I was networking with suddenly have a meeting cancelled and can meet in 15-20 minutes. From Rotman, I can make that meeting. Anywhere else, I'd miss that opportunity.

eunjukim wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't go to analytics (though I had a taste of it since you need to be strong in it to go into consulting) or marketing, so I can't help you with this one.

And yes, Toronto is an expensive city, but everyone makes it work. In my personal opinion, it's with every penny you spend. And don't get too hung up on the placement statistics, there are many inaccuracies there since filling that questionnaire isn't a requirement at the end of the MBA or six months out. Entrepreneurs, for example, are probably considered unemployed. It's better if you can get a better picture of what's happening in marketing at the schools you mentioned, who is going where, who is placing at a higher rate with the top companies, whose marketing students are getting better salaries... don't look at the overall, since you're only focused in marketing.

Good luck!

Wow, so informative ! Thank you !! :-D Thank you for the information about the culture there though, that is really an important factor to me and it's nice to know you were an ambassador. Current ambassadors aren't very responsive. :cry: I am thinking to discard Sauder because of location and Schulich because of the feedback everyone gives here and other threads. Their placement statistics are high and which was why I was keeping them in my list. I guess for immigration, Ivey's short duration doesn't help. Now it's between Rotman and McGill. They are the two Canada schools known in Korea but McGill's network might be bigger internationally and Rotman more in Toronto. As you said, I am indeed concerned about the French language in Montreal but I spoke to other Asians students at McGill and they told me that they placed in well-known companies in Montreal with good salaries and that third of graduates go to Toronto. With access to two big markets, it sounds like a good and safe option and learning French would be an advantage in the future. Rotman is number one though! And rankings matter too.. The only thing that I can't shake off at Rotman is the 85% placement after 6 months. There is no details about which industries the students in the remaining 15% were and that is BIG concern to me. I have good scores and I am competitive but I only lived in Korea and I know there will be challenges as a non native speaker, non local... and Rotman recruit great students but to think, investing 100k dollars and have no job after 6 months, it's very scary. My parents are helping me pay my MBA dream and I have to consider all of these details.
Here are two more questions about what i heard:
1) Do you happen to know what happens to students who don't find jobs after 6 months? Or which industries they come from? You said you know everyone in your 300 students class, can you tell me which industries they wanted and why they didn't place? What support is in place for such students by Rotman Careers Office?
2) One very attractive feature of Rotman's programs is an array of courses. I heard that not all classes are available and that you need to compete to access them. Is that fact?

Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2017, 09:44

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  30    Next  [ 586 posts ]