Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Schulich (York) MBA Fall Applicants: September 2017 Intake [#permalink]
Bookmarks
nish0912 wrote:
Hi all...

Is there a group of admitted students of schulich...If not lets form a https://gmatclub.com/chat group

Looking forward to connect!
:)

Drop your number. I have created one https://gmatclub.com/chat group...my number is 9650992145.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Schulich (York) MBA Fall Applicants: September 2017 Intake [#permalink]
Quick last minute tips on the Schulich Video essay ... anyone ?
What were the questions ?
:)
Thanks a lot in advance ...

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply

Blast from the Past: Previous discussion on Schulich India vs Schuich Canada

Last year we saw some healthy and insightful debates on this topic. Re-posting these posts here for the benefit of current applicants.

VijayG6387 wrote:
minion wrote:
Does anyone has any idea about schulich's MBA in India program? pros n cons and post MBA job scenario both in India and Canada?

Have not done an in-depth analysis, but here is what I know, and so please take it with a pinch of salt.

Pros:
Fee - If you choose the India program, you automatically get a 10K CAD scholarship for year 1. If you manage to maintain a certain grade in year 1, the scholarship gets renewed for year 2.
Living costs will come down by atleast 10K CAD.
Same faculty fly in from Canada to lecture, so no compromise on the quality of education.

Cons:
Networking might be a wee bit of a problem as you are in India and it might affect the chances of internship (won't be a problem if you are smart).
Class would be all Indians, and so you loose out on the international experience in the first year.

A good friend of mine graduated from the program two years ago (it used to be run from the SP Jain campus in Mumbai) and he is currently working with CIBC in Toronto, Canada.

pagansensei wrote:
I am not considering Hyderabad campus anymore, but putting this here for people who are still thinking about it

So far what I have learned:
It is the same program, but one year in India and one year in Toronto.
Tuition fees is the same. Only difference would be the living expense for the first year obviously.
You get an automatic 10k CAD scholarship for Year 1 and on maintaining sufficient grades 10 k CAD for Year 2
Outcome after 2 years would be the same with either program.
Internship after first year would be difficult - but still possible
A friend did the India program few years ago and he is working in Deloitte Toronto now. He suggested 2 year in toronto is better worth the money
If your goal is to work few years in Canada and then come back to India, then the India program might be better for you since you are spending a year networking in India
Lot of talks given by industry leaders(Ratan Tata who is member of board) are India specific
If you start in September 16, you will go to Canada in January 2018
Class size in India program is around 50, compared to 250-400 in Toronto
You have more access to faculty because the class size is less as opposed to getting lost in the crowd in the Toronto campus
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply

Blast from the Past: Helpful Posts from Previous Discussion Threads

2016formba wrote:
Hello Friends..i just got some update regarding work permit for any student who are interested in doing part time job during studies.
Below is the response from Schulich INTERNATION Relationship Department:

Hi Prakash,

Thanks for your interest in the Schulich School of Business!

In response to your questions: Can an international student do part time job during first year of study ?
Here is the details-

WORK PERMIT:
· Degree-seeking students may work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week on a study term and full-time on a designated break term with a valid study permit.
· Students' spouses or common-law partners are eligible to apply for an open work permit.
· Upon completion of degree requirements, full-time students are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit which is an open work permit valid for up to three years.
· There are several permanent residency alternatives available to students planning to immigrate to Canada after completing their studies.

Hope this might help someone :)

2016formba wrote:
Another set of answers from Schulich Adcom:

Q1. Is there graduate assistantship for International students.If so how to apply for it and what is the deadline for it ?
Answer:Yes, there are a number of assistantship options to those admitted. You can speak with the point of contact / department once you are admitted.

Q2.When is the Scholarship committee sit to decide upon the candidate and when is their results out ?Their timeline and result dates.
Answer:Scholarships are determined along with or soon after the application is processed within 4-6 weeks of submission.

Q3.Once the a student is admitted ,how much time does he get to submit the seat confirmation amount ?
Answer:The exact date or duration would be listed on your acceptance letter.

KunalV21 wrote:
harsitgandhi wrote:
pqt wrote:
From what I've heard, Schulich is good for finance, as is Rotman.
For consulting, Ivey is numero uno followed by Desautels and Rotman
For a general MBA degree, or per se in Marketing/sales etc, I think Sauder will still be atleast equal with any of the top schools.
I have an admit from both and I am still thinking which one to go with.
Please share your insights, if you think what I mentioned is not true..

I am a prospective student...so below mentioned views might be not the whole truth, but they are after interactions with few alums, admission directors and extensive spade work on net...
The big 4 in Canada are (Ivey,Queens, Rotman, Schulich...in alphabetical order)
If one has option of Rotman then for finance as well as consulting ...its an excellent bet.
Now Ivey and Queens are 1 year program and Ivey is still the best for consulting and queens is probably best for finance (in Canada).
Then there is Schulich..yes it has excellent placement stats for finance(though 2nd to rotman), it is also very good in ancillary industries(its that they have good options for not just consulting but also marketing, industry,etc.) i.e. balanced career avenues.
So if we compare other schools with Schulich...i.e. Sauder and Desautel then hands down Schulich is considered better than those 2(again thats subjective judgement)
Desautel also has good consulting options but these are specifically for Montreal and as per my interaction, they did place 1-2 students in Mckinsey also, though for Montreal only. But here the question is whether you know french cause without it, eventhough Montreal is bilangual, it would be very difficult to get placement there(though not impossible).

Lastly Sauder is good, in many aspects, but still its location(i.e. outside toronto) and its reputation is not on par with these big-4 (including Schulich).

Hope that helps...Also if my views are not up to the mark...then I would like to know more...so do comment on this!!!!!!

Hi Harshit,

Just wanted to voice out my opinion on this topic. First and foremost, you can't go wrong with Rotman, Ivey, Queens, Desautels, Schulich, and Sauder. These are world class business schools although they don't feature quite high in the rankings. In my decision process, I didn't even consider business school rankings as a factor. I believe ROI, post-MBA industry and functional area, location etc. are few factors which are quite important.

The reason why I didn't apply to Schulich is because of its reputation compared to other business schools (admits without interviews etc.), few cases of crime around campus, very large class size which has many Asians (class diversity factor) and few statistics such as https://www.excal.on.ca/schulich-school- ... m-top-100/. For Desautels, although it is beneficial if you know french to find a job in Montreal, I can still find a lot of its alumni working in Toronto, Vancouver, and outside Canada. With McGill University's strong brand name behind Desautels, I can't believe that employers in Toronto will turn down their resume just because they're based out of Montreal or from McGill.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Schulich applicants

mpehch wrote:
I had my interview in person this morning at Schulich.
Same general questions that everyone else was asked:

Tell me about yourself
Why MBA
Why Schulich
Difficulties faced at work
Qualities needed in a leader
What is needed to create a good team

I was told that I should hear back within a week.

Hope this helps for those of you who have yet to interview.

pagansensei wrote:
Got done with my interview now. It went fine

Lasted 30 minutes.
Questions asked
Why MBA now?
What do you want to do after MBA?
What made you choose Shulich?
What is one flaw that you feel you need to work on
How would your superiors describe you?
Who is one person, historic or otherwise, with whom you would like to have dinner and why?
Some question specific to my profile.
This lasted about 20 minutes.

Next 10 minutes we spoke about Hyderabad campus.Interviewer didn't say anything about hyderabad campus, so I mentioned the mail I got and that I wouldn't be available for the webinar on Sunday. So he explained in detail differences between the two programs. I explained to him how it wouldn't work for me and that I would like to defer my application to next intake if I don't get in for September intake. He said I will have to re apply and that there are few seats left in the Toronto campus.

idefix wrote:
I got admitted to the Toronto Campus (Keele).
I submitted my application on April 30th (last day of Round 3).
I was interviewed on June 2nd.

The interview was really short, only 20 minutes. I had prepared for several questions, but they only asked about 6:
- Why MBA? Why now?
- Why Schulich?
- How you will contribute to the program?
- What is one flaw that you feel you need to work on.
- What is needed to have a good team.
- Tell me something that is not in your resume/application.

My profile: I am a Canadian Permanent Resident since last year, but I am originally from Brazil. I am an Engineer and I have worked in the Engineering Industry, Finance, and (mostly) in IT (in the last 4 years). My GMAT score was 710.

janani28 wrote:
I had my interview on 6th Jan and admit mail on 14th Jan.
Interview with Imran Kanga
Questions:
Why MBA
why schulich
How you will contribute to class
tell something about you that is not mentioned in the application
challenges at work
then some follow up questions

MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats to all admits!! We have created a separate thread for admitted students here.. york-schulich-jan-sept-2017-intake-calling-all-admitted-students-231127.html
Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman '19
Send PM
Guys, Schulich just ****ed me. I got interviewed on 27th Dec by Satyameet - Associate Director, Admissions and received a rejection day before, so much for a happy 2017!!! I thought it would be breezy to get in their India program with a 680 on the GMAT and 6 years in sports management. I asked him if I could then be considered for the Toronto campus start and he said for either campus, the eligibility being the same meant I was not competitive for Toronto also.

Hoping for a positive reply from Rotman. Best of luck and hopefully see a few of you in Toronto.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I have just finished the video essays for Schulich. I don't think i did it well. My points in the 2 video essays were not clear enough. I even did not complete the timed written essay: around 170/250 words remaining. Do you guys think i have any chance to be invited for the interview ?

Thank you in advance for all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
thutrangA20688 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just finished the video essays for Schulich. I don't think i did it well. My points in the 2 video essays were not clear enough. I even did not complete the timed written essay: around 170/250 words remaining. Do you guys think i have any chance to be invited for the interview ?

Thank you in advance for all.

Hi,
Can you tell me what were the video essay questions?

Thanks in advance
himanshu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Admission deferral to 2017 intake

Admitted on: 2017/01/15
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 720, Q41, V48
WE: 59 months
Industry: Consumer Products
Decision Received on: 2017/01/15
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
ramish6 wrote:

Can you tell us the timeline? When did you submit application, when did were you contacted for an interview and when was the interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi,

Need help in understanding how to utilize the optional essay space. What information can I incorporate in the same. How much does it count in the application if optional essay is provided?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
jessicabarron wrote:
ramish6 wrote:

Can you tell us the timeline? When did you submit application, when did were you contacted for an interview and when was the interview?

hey,

So yeah i applied in the feb deadline last year (i guess it was round 2). got interviewed in march and admission in april. all the while i was being promoted and relocated to a different city at work so i messed up my visa application and got rejected the visa... so i apploed for defferal to 2017 sept. intake and got tge deferral request accepted. So thats that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT Date: 09-05-2015
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 2.65
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
monisha2208 wrote:
Hi,

Need help in understanding how to utilize the optional essay space. What information can I incorporate in the same. How much does it count in the application if optional essay is provided?

Use the optional essay to highlight any weakness in your profile before the admissions committee identifies it. You can explain about the actions you plan to take to overcome your weakness. Or if you are already taking an action, what results you have seen. But please ensure that these are genuine issues which will highlight some aspect of your personality. Your weakness may be a low GMAT, low GPA, a gap in your work, or any thing which you feel should be elaborated.

You can also use the optional essay to highlight some extra ordinary achievement, which is not elaborated in your resume. Your personality should shine through the optional essay. If you don't have anything so significant, it is advisable that you don't write this optional essay. The assume that the admissions committee would appreciate this gesture.

You can also connect with the admissions committee for more information. Let me know if they have a very opposite view from what I have mentioned.

All the best !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Just receiver an admit from Schulich for its Nadal Campus.

Applied on Dec 29
Interviewed on Jan 18
Received offer on Jan 19

Can anyone tell what's the process for scholarship application? If they are offering scholarship to anyone..

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
sharma.jatin1992@gmail.com wrote:
Just receiver an admit from Schulich for its Nadal Campus.

Applied on Dec 29
Interviewed on Jan 18
Received offer on Jan 19

Can anyone tell what's the process for scholarship application? If they are offering scholarship to anyone..

Did Satyemeet interview you? When exactly did you receive the invite? I gave my interview on Jan 18 too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
I was interviewed by Imran. Received my offer few hours after the interview took place.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts