It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 10

Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 10:42
catalysis wrote:
Does it make a difference if we have to take it in another city? I am not able to fly to Philadelphia but don't want this to impact my chances.

It should not. Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Posted from my mobile device

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors, LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-two-interviews/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 11:20
tohin wrote:
catalysis wrote:
Does it make a difference if we have to take it in another city? I am not able to fly to Philadelphia but don't want this to impact my chances.

It should not. Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Posted from my mobile device

I am in SF :) Luckily this is an interview site as well

Last edited by catalysis on 02 Nov 2016, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 11:30
Has anyone been rejected from Wharton w/o interview but eventually accepted to HBS/Stanford? A little disappointed to not get an interview at least.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
mba20162019 wrote:
Has anyone been rejected from Wharton w/o interview but eventually accepted to HBS/Stanford? A little disappointed to not get an interview at least.

Not sure if I will get accepted, but I did get an interview from GSB. I know there are a few others here on this forum who are in the same situation - GSB interview and Wharton rejection. SO - definitely keep your head high and hope for a GSB invite. I feel as though they value slightly different profiles so you might actually end up at GSB :) Good luck!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 16:38
One more question for any SF folks - I heard there is a networking reception but I have not received an invite for that (even after getting my logistics info for the interview). Anyone have insight into how those invitees were selected?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 16:44
catalysis wrote:
One more question for any SF folks - I heard there is a networking reception but I have not received an invite for that (even after getting my logistics info for the interview). Anyone have insight into how those invitees were selected?

Check your spam / promotions folder - that's where mine ended up. I think if you selected an interview slot in San Francisco, you will receive the invitation for the reception. It took an hour or so to get it after I registered for my slot.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Time For Team Based Discussions! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 07:00
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Time For Team Based Discussions!
Invitations for Round 1 applicants to interview were sent November 2, and if you were invited, you will participate in a Team Based Discussion (TBD) and a one-on-one interview in the next few days — either on campus in Philadelphia, or in one of several major cities around the world,…Read More

The post Time For Team Based Discussions! appeared first on MBA Program.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton '19 (M)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 07:08
Probably a stupid question to ask - When do we get to know the TBD discussion topics? Does that happen after we register?

Thanks!

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 07:39
Congrats everyone who got the interview invite :)

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 12:34
Invite for R1!!

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GRE 1: 331 Q169 V162
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 14:00
Tazz84 wrote:
Probably a stupid question to ask - When do we get to know the TBD discussion topics? Does that happen after we register?

Thanks!

They e-mail it to you after picking a time slot.

Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 14:05
Tazz84 wrote:

Thanks!

Yes. You'll get the question then. Good luck !
Very similar to previous years (won't post here, but happy to chat privately).

See our preparation tips here:
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/re ... imulation/

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-two-interviews/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 15:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

Congratulations to those who made it to Round 1 Interviews. For others, don't get disheartened this is just the start - you would have many more opportunities, keep your hopes high!!

I am a first year at Wharton. I have been in your shoes last year at almost the same time, have gone through Reception, TBD, and Interview. I am happy to help and answer any question that you guys might have. Feel free to post here or shoot a direct message.

All the very best. Honestly, Don't Stress Out !

Cheers!

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 08:49
WhartonMBA2018 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Congratulations to those who made it to Round 1 Interviews. For others, don't get disheartened this is just the start - you would have many more opportunities, keep your hopes high!!

I am a first year at Wharton. I have been in your shoes last year at almost the same time, have gone through Reception, TBD, and Interview. I am happy to help and answer any question that you guys might have. Feel free to post here or shoot a direct message.

All the very best. Honestly, Don't Stress Out !

Cheers!

Hi- Really cool of you to do this!
One question I have is- What questions to expect in the 10 mins one-on-one interview after the TBD? Does the adcom member who takes the interview have a detailed view of our written application or just our resume?

Also, would be super great if you could give us a very brief synopsis of how the TBD proceeds. For e.g. after every candidate gives a 2 min view of his take on the topic, do all the folks discuss the topic or is it more of guided discussion? At the end of the discussion is one of the candidate asked to summarize the discussion's outcome?

Again Thank you very much for helping us folks out!

WhereIsMyTowel

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3525 [0], given: 2393

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 05:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Those who made it to TBD: You can find several interview debriefs of previous applicants in our collection of best posts from Wharton forum. (Use "Interview Debrief" and "Team Based Discussion" tags during search)
summary-wharton-class-of-2017-discussion-204959.html
important-posts-from-wharton-class-of-2016-discussion-196167.html

Also there are a detailed TBD/PI debrief posted in our Bschool reviews page. (Sort by "Admission Interview Review") http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/wharton-3

We wish all the best to all for TBD. Do post your debriefs on forum. Thank you!

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 16:19
Hi! Anybody looking forward to doing a mock TBD this weekend through Skype?

Best of luck!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 16:40
cgfndz wrote:
Hi! Anybody looking forward to doing a mock TBD this weekend through Skype?

Best of luck!

If you are interested, we have one spot left for tomorrow:
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/re ... imulation/

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe
CEO and co-founder

Intern
Intern

Schools: Wharton '19 (M)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 22:24
Anyone interviewing in Delhi on the 16th morning? It'd be good to connect at the event the evening before.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 01:04

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Wharton applicants

ConsultingtoVCMBA wrote:
All done with the Wharton TBD! Feels great to be done with the process. Let the waiting game commence.

Some thoughts on the TBD (take these with a grain of salt, given that I have not received any feedback on my performance):
- Don't spend too much time preparing - I actually found it nice to be in a position of exploring a teammate's proposal rather than my own
- Ask probing questions, but don't put too much pressure on receiving a detailed response - in theory there will be relatively minimal subject expertise around the room
- Be sure to always get the group moving towards an end-goal - don't get lost in trivial debates about logistics, etc. You need a proposal at the end of the day that passes a logic test, but it doesn't need to be perfect. If you see your team going down a road that is not going to directly impact the "deliverable," say something and get the team back on track (be polite about it though)
- There is the potential to witness a fellow applicant "bombing" the TBD, either by lack of or ineffective participation - use this an opportunity to showcase your ability to politely get people involved. NB: There is a fine line between involving everyone and putting someone on the spot - don't do the latter.

Best of luck everyone!

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 01:06

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Wharton applicants

imr wrote:
Hi guys.

I was admitted to Wharton / Lauder last year (LatAm, consulting) so maybe sharing a bit of my experience with the interview process can help someone out there. Assuming the process hasn't changed...interview was with an admission's officer.

Group dynamics: very hard to tell what really matters. I, for instance, made a huge dumb mistake during mine (literally said something that made no sense at the time, but quickly came back saying nevermind, it doesn't make sense, back to previous point) and it all worked out. I do think that you should try and "embody" a role play, be it the leader, the conciliator, the challenger, etc. Take a stance instead of being lost and going with the flow. Don't show off, it's not necessary. Be yourself on how you behave and push yourself to take a stance on the topic being discussed. In my group, "the leader" was admitted, the challenger wasn't and the conciliator was. That was not the case for other groups so...hard to tell.

Blind interview: DONT FORGET YOUR RESUME. Or you'll find yourself begging for the recepcionist to find a printer before you're called back to interview. It was literally 5 minutes and two questions: "do you think you were yourselve in the interview and why?" and "tell me anything you want me to know about you". So (i) good to be yourself so you can defend how you behaved in the group dynamics and (ii) I suggest you have a good elevator speech mixing your (QUICK) story recap with the 5-7 things you want to leave an impression on. It's really a monologue so it's good not to sound boring, pedantic, etc and also to flow a logic storyline. It's 5 minutes to make a (sticky!) good impression. Practicing may help. In my case, I spoke about my life trajectory and how it connects to my professional goals finishing with a "why" I thought Wharton was the place to go given everything.

Lauder was such an easygoing nice interview with a current student. We spoke about international experience, passions, a few classic "tell me a situation..." questions, but that was it. It was more of a conversation that anything else.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

imr wrote:
TopDogMBA wrote:

I think the on campus interviews are with Admissions Fellows (it sounds like yours was done off campus in that case?). I went to Philly and met the Admissions Fellows instead.

It shouldn't make a difference but I always think the dynamic is a bit different between a "professional" admissions director and, essentially, a current student.

Off campus indeed. No idea on the difference to actual students...good point. I assume everyone is well trained, as much as possible, to level interpretation.

Arriving early to interact with the group is also a good tip to connect with potential classmates and build some sort of connection, but, honestly, you're only going to see their behavior when the real deal starts. Consulting-wise (pls no prejudice, just common beliefs!), if it's a Mck or a BCG guy, you can kind of tell how they're likely to behave, but it's still a guess and I wouldn't count on it to build a strategy 15 minutes before the TBD. Know the topic, know your position, have your set of arguments and then dive in open to whatever outcome just making sure you take a stance. To be more clear, my TBD involved a new class for Wharton and one of the pillar was social innovation I think. So I brought my NGO experience and point of view. Another guy brought social entrepreneurship ...and etc. In the end, instead of the best individual suggestion, the group proposition was a mix of everyone's idea.

I def agree no one will rip you, after all, we're all grown ups who know are being assessed on behavior. It's almost too fake it you frankly ask me. Everyone strives to be so polite to make sure they're not cut off. But it's part of the deal. I REALLY believe you should be as close to your natural self as possible...but that's just me.

On the one-on-one, many people take it for granted and forget to prepare eventually getting caught off-guard without structured, well thought answers. Don't do that. One-on-one matters as well as the TBD.

Good luck all!

Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2016, 01:06

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14    Next  [ 278 posts ]