Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619073 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.59
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi,

I have a GMAT of 730 (Q-50, V-39, IR-7, AWA-4) - first attempt last year.

I graduated from BITS Pilani, India (Civil engineering) with a CGPA of 8.23/10.

I will complete 6 years of working with GAIL (India) Ltd. in July this year. I executed the construction of a 21-storey green office building for four years, was then involved in tendering/ civil contract management. Presently I am heading civil construction works at multiple locations in NCR and looking after O&M jobs as well. I was promoted in 2015 to Deputy Manager from Senior Engineer.

I have organized/ led/ initiated blood donation campaigns in my organization, marathons and various corporate events and campaigns.

I was the webmaster, student placement representative and coordinator of an international conference at BITS.

I was dinged by UCLA Anderson, UNC Kenan Flagler and ISB post interview in round 2 last time.

I also applied to Ross, Tepper and Cornell. Cornell waitlisted me without interview while other 2 didn't invite for interview.

Shall I retake GMAT or work only upon my interview skills and apply in R1/ early action/ early decision this year?

Specifically, what are my chances at Duke if I apply in early action round this year?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Mate, your problem is not GMAT!... Time to reflect on your essay and how you really want to sell yourself in line with what these schools have to offer.

Being an Indian, you seem to have a unique profile. Now it's only a matter of how you package your proposition to the schools you want to apply.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
You have a very decent score and profile. The only reason that comes to mind for those dings is career goals and essays. Try working with a consultant to sort them out. Network well.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I believe you have a great score and need to really look at other parts of your application that will separate you from the rest of the people with similar backgrounds. Also, as was mentioned before, you need to curate a great story and be able to convey that in an essay as well as in the interview. The fact that you had interviews at the schools you mentioned, means you met the academic and work experience categories. What you really need now is to bring it all together. Hope it works out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
You have a good profile so the only thing you're doing wrong is probably how you're telling your story. I'd strongly advise that you work with a consultant. I know a lot of folks who worked with Rajdeep Chimni - Admissions Gateway and were able to get their story right. I personally know people who all had the same score - 730 ( I'm one of them) but admits varied from Kelly - UNC-Fuqua-Booth. Get your stories right.

Posted from my mobile device
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
From your results, it would be best to prioritize working on your interview skills. Working with someone who could give you honest feedback and insights on your content and delivery could prove to be the difference.

Wish you all the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
You may also find some of the tips from the blog below helpful:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/04 ... interview/

3 Things to Avoid During Your MBA Admissions Interview
Would people like working with you? Can you communicate like an organization’s leader? When you interview for that coveted slot in your dream MBA program, these are some of the many areas you will be evaluated on. Chances are, at this stage you already know that you need to exemplify your ability to be on time, personable, and familiar with the details of your application.

Effectively communicating your personal highlights and your fit with the school will help you stand out favorably from the pool of other well-qualified applicants, but as you focus on presenting how exceptional you are, it can also be easy to fall for one of the popular pitfalls of the business school interview. Being cognizant of the details below will help you present yourself to your interviewer as a potential future leader who would be perfect for their school:

1) Steer Clear From an “Us vs. Them” Mentality
In day-to-day conversations with your coworkers, it can be easy to get used to generalizing negatively about other units in the organization. For example, referring to upper management as “out of touch” may feel true to you and your division. However, during your MBA interviews, you need to be more politically correct and sensitive – the way a CEO with the goal of uniting and inspiring the whole organization would carefully choose his or her words and delivery.

During practice interviews, applicants often fall into this trap when they explain examples of failures or challenging situations, as the language and tone used can give off the impression of a deeply-fostered “solo” mentality. Practicing with a sensitive listener will help call this out, allowing you to avoid this very common pitfall.

2) Hold Off On Generalizations
Related to the above, you must avoid tagging groups of people with a generalized label, whether it is by job functions, race, gender or nationality. While it may be funny for Dilbert to declare, “Marketing is only legal because it doesn’t work most of the time,” this sort of language should obviously be a no-no for you.

Likewise, highlighting an accomplishment educating the “backwards” people in one of your international offices by teaching them the “American Way” does not help in showing open-mindedness, and may actually concern your interviewer on your readiness to work with classmates from all over the world, or your potential to be a future global leader.

How then do you relate an accomplishment leading low-skilled blue-collar workers to align processes at the factory level with new technologies? You can still communicate the scale and context of this challenge without offending sensibilities – imagine describing one of them like you would describe a favorite uncle, doing so in an objective manner that would show both your appreciation and fondness at the same time.

3) End on a Positive Note
At the end of the interview, you are given the opportunity to ask questions. This is a great time to personally connect with your interviewer. Avoid showing doubts about your intention to push through with accepting an eventual offer to join the program (no matter how reasonable it is), or asking administrative details – these can always be addressed outside of the interview with better research and by connecting with the admissions office. Instead, engage the interviewer to talk about his fond memories with the school, evoking positive feelings that he would also have a good chance of associating with your particular interview.

By avoiding these three pitfalls, you’ll be sure to leave a great impression with your interviewer and bring yourself one step closer to gaining acceptance at your dream school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Nationality: East Asian (US Citizen)
GPA: 3.45
GMAT: Currently getting 700 on practice tests, shooting for 720-730.

WE: 1 Yr Operations Analyst at a Bulging Bracket Bank

2 Yrs(by matriculation) at a Renewable Energy company as a Business Analyst in their Operations & Analytics Team. Created presentations and reports for top level executives including CEO and was involved in projects that increased revenue and produced significant cost savings for the company.

Volunteer Experience
3 Years Teaching English classes to older immigrants (mostly parents of American born children like me).
Youth Leader 1 Year
Raised money to help stop children trafficking for 9 Months. (Personally raised around 10k)

Undergrad

Student Government Vice President - 1 Year
Career Center Consultant 1 Year - reviewed resumes and did mock interviews for students.

MBA Plans: Short Term - MBB Consulting, Long Term - go back to a Renewable Energy company as an exec or start my own company.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with others who stated that your score is probably not the issue. Sure, a lot of people could use a better score, but your current one is sufficient. Therefore, I also see you as a perfect example of someone who could benefit a lot from having a professional help them with their application. Have you ever tried that? And if, so what was your experience? (I know not everyone wants to go down that route, but for people who have already applied and can’t really pinpoint what the issue was, it can be a great way to save time and effort and avoid another disappointment)

Good luck to you, you seem ambitious enough that you will get there in the end, but in my opinion you might just need a little push in the right direction at this point.

If you are interested in finding out what ARINGO can offer you, simply fill out this non-committal form: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ and I will make sure the CEO contacts you in order to explain what difference professional help from us can make and what our advantages are compared to other consultants.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi Ankit,

I'm sorry to hear about your results last year. Having evaluated several MBA applications, I can say that your problem areas lie in how you are presenting your profile in the essays and how you are answering Why MBA/ Why a particular B-school questions. It not unusual to see many students with great GMAT scores and work experience getting denied without even an interview every year. You seem to have good potential and if you write strong applications, you stand a good chance.

I'd be happy to look at your past year's application and give you specific insights to make a stronger application this year. Feel free to sign up for a FREE CONSULTATION

You might also like to read:
How to be a successful reapplicant
Ross, Michigan: Indian Reapplicant's Success Story
HEC Montreal: Indian Reapplicant's Success Story

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Thank you for sharing,

You are a strong candidate that can apply to any top 20 MBA programs in the USA. All of this programs will give a chance to have a potential full time job offer at any of the 3 consulting firms.
Although, it is always important to build a profile that differentiates you from other candidates and getting those solid 700+.

If you need more advice on your MBA application, visit our youtube channel for more tips or sign up for a Free consultation.
Best regards,
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

The decision whether to apply this year or next year would depend on many factors, including accomplishments, with emphasis on leadership/teamwork/mentoring experiences. Showing your fit with your the Duke culture by identifying how these would help make Duke the right environment for you, and how you can contribute, including by sharing similar experiences in the past would help your chances.

All the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [3]
Send PM
Kudos