GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Columbia FT MBA or Executive MBA? [admitted]

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Columbia FT MBA or Executive MBA? [admitted]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2014, 12:27
Hi, I'd like to ask for some advice on my school decision. I was admitted by the full time program but a few things have changed since and I'd also like to consider the weekend EMBA program. Columbia offers the same degree for both programs. I work at a large corporation in marketing where my boss was recently promoted to Vice President and he'd like to promote me to the director level if I stay with the company. I don't have a strong undergrad and that's why I was looking to get an Ivy MBA to help on my career development. I currently have about 7yrs experience and a mid-level manager. I'm 30 so I'll be on the older side of the FT MBA but younger side of the EMBA.

Full-Time MBA Program:

Pros:
- total immersion experience, great way to build network.
- still may be perceived as the 'real' MBA compared to the Executive MBA format.
- may have some scholarship money. (less than $20k)
- can switch career direction, for example move into management consulting, can open more doors I wouldn't have imagined.
- I like NYC.

Cons:
- expensive, no income from job (after tax around $160k for 2yrs)
- risky, job not guaranteed out of school
- 2 yrs less work experience.
- my current company is sponsoring me for green card so I would have to interrupt that process. I would again need H1-B job sponsorship after graduation which seriously limits my job opportunities.

EMBA Program:

Pros:
- same MBA degree. same two years.
- can keep the job, get promoted, company would sponsor for time and around $10k for two years.
- don't have to interrupt green card application process.

Cons:
- not the same experience as full-time MBA. networking may be limited because class only meets every other weekend for 2 days.
- don't really like the current company/job because of location (in Central PA), wanted to switch company to be closer to NY.
- might not be perceived by recruiters as the same as a FT MBA degree.

Which way should I go? Thank you for your response!
Intern
Intern
Re: Columbia FT MBA or Executive MBA? [admitted]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 11:55
I also have considered E MBA but feel the experience factor outweighs any benefits. This is the only chance for me to take a break and I want to really immerse myself. If you measure cost and lost income etc there is no way it makes sense. But there is a value to taking two years and focusing on the program. So that's my vote. Just hope I can be as lucky as you.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 09:17
thanks Choconut. Anyone else can give me some feedback?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 10:19
I've been going through a very similar situation, and have recently decided to go the full-time route. I already make a post-MBA salary, and my company has offered to promote me if I stay to a salary that will take at least 3 years to get to after I graduate. The problem is, this just isn't what I want to do for the next 30 years, and since I'm also close to 30, I feel like it would be very difficult to pivot my career without taking a substantial step back.

My advice would be to think about whether you could be happy spending a full career in your field. If so, a FT MBA just doesn't make sense if you're already successful. If however, you feel that in 10-15 years you'll be miserable and without options, take the plunge.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2014, 12:20
The main driver for FT program is usually change of industry, career shift, or employment change that cannot be accomplished without an "intervention" I think what Jakecasm said - if you are comfortable and successful go for EMBA.

One other consideration that many miss, is your classmates - they will be quite different in EMBA (execs and older guys) vs. FTMBA (younger crowd with energy and different priorities). Where do you see yourself fitting in more?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2015, 05:52
meiji - So which way did you go?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 14:57
bb wrote:
The main driver for FT program is usually change of industry, career shift, or employment change that cannot be accomplished without an "intervention" I think what Jakecasm said - if you are comfortable and successful go for EMBA.

One other consideration that many miss, is your classmates - they will be quite different in EMBA (execs and older guys) vs. FTMBA (younger crowd with energy and different priorities). Where do you see yourself fitting in more?

how about placement for jobs OCR networking. I never noticed a larger company like say Google or FB have EMBAs but full time. Why is that, is one easier to get into than the other? Would they be listed in credentials on resumes differently?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Columbia FT MBA or Executive MBA? [admitted]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 15:10
manimgoindowndown wrote:
how about placement for jobs OCR networking. I never noticed a larger company like say Google or FB have EMBAs but full time. Why is that, is one easier to get into than the other? Would they be listed in credentials on resumes differently?

Good question. I can come up with a few reasons...
  • Many of the EMBA's are actually employer-sponsored (hence the cost that is 50% higher than FT MBA). If you get an employer-sponsored degree, you are looking at a 3-5 year commitment and sometimes even more, so jumping companies is not as common and I am guessing Google is not sponsoring a ton of people for a full degree (?)
  • Usually EMBA's are not invited to the on campus recruiting events - those are targeted towards FT students for a number of reasons and I don't think you find a VP of Marketing job at Google by just stumbling at someone at an on-campus recruiting event.... I could be wrong :wink:
  • EMBAs are much more regional and folks tend to move less due to age and family and priorities. Few people want to kill themselves working a consultant lifestyle if they have a wife and kids or pick up and move across country
  • EMBAs, even the big programs, are usually just 100-150 people per class vs 900 at FT MBA
  • Some people list their EMBA's as MBA's
  • I don't know if you really really need an MBA at 40 for example if you had a pretty good/decent career. It is definitely a positive but investing 2-3 years and $150-200K into a degree, you have to have some serious reasons to do that on your own, so I am guessing something along the lines of a mid-life crisis or a cardinal change....

P.S. Keep in mind that many EMBA's including the top schools do not require a GMAT score. The main way to get in is your career and your accomplishments. At the same time, the word Executive does not actually mean that one has to hold a certain title. Thus, esp in some lower ranked programs, you see quite a variety of folks in terms of seniority and some are not senior at all. Executive education is a for-profit business at many universities and carries the highest margin so it is very tempting to admit as many people as possible. It is less competitive than FT, and even PT.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 11:38
If you want to make a career change then the promotion does not matter unless you want o delay your admit for a year just to get that title on your resume. If you plan to stay at the company it may make sense to go the EMBA route

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Columbia FT MBA or Executive MBA? [admitted]   [#permalink] 26 May 2017, 11:38

Columbia FT MBA or Executive MBA? [admitted]

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate