GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 10:16
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma bb and any other GMAT guardian angel :) ,

Well, I have been preparing for this wonderful exam for almost a year now. But have not seen by verbal scores go beyond V34 no matter what I have done. I see a very high degree of uncertainty in the GMAC algorithm too. For instance today I got a V25 for my test where I got 13 Q incorrect(4,6,10,14,15,17,20,21,23, 24,31,35) [with sectional scores: SC: 11/14, CR6/9 and in RC 7/13 were correct]. Previously i got a V34 even with 18 Q incorrect.

I know there is a lot on the what-if scenarios available on GMAT club, but I see no way to take myself out of this deep tunnel of uncertainty. I have been getting Q49 almost on every mock test I take (MGMAT CAT as well as Official test).

Right now, I am just a week away from my second attempt. Would request some advice from an expert on this. I have studied SC from : MGMAT guide and used bits of eGMAT guidance too. For CR I have extensively studied from CR Bible and I see my basics as pretty strong. My biggest issue has been with time management of Verbal. I always run out of time and end up guessing at least 2 RCs out of 4.

Any last-minute suggestion for revision or for speeding up on test will be really helpful

Regards
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 18:07
Hi saukrit,

Since you have been studying for some time and have yet to break V34 on the GMAT, you likely need more than just one week to make a major verbal score improvement.

Faster speed in answering GMAT questions generally comes not from simply trying to speed up or from learning a few strategies but from developing skill. So, to put yourself in a position to complete the verbal section on time, you probably have to go beyond learning verbal concepts to becoming much better at answering verbal questions. Generally, developing high-level GMAT verbal skills takes a fair amount of work carefully analyzing and answering verbal questions to train yourself to see what there is to see and to execute effectively.

Are you able to give yourself more time and take the GMAT at a later date? Would you like some ideas on how to develop your GMAT verbal skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 19:45
saukrit wrote:
I know there is a lot on the what-if scenarios available on GMAT club, but I see no way to take myself out of this deep tunnel of uncertainty. I have been getting Q49 almost on every mock test I take (MGMAT CAT as well as Official test).

Right now, I am just a week away from my second attempt. Would request some advice from an expert on this. I have studied SC from : MGMAT guide and used bits of eGMAT guidance too. For CR I have extensively studied from CR Bible and I see my basics as pretty strong. My biggest issue has been with time management of Verbal. I always run out of time and end up guessing at least 2 RCs out of 4.
Many of the strategies in that what-if thread are just... dangerous. :)

I strongly recommend that you not change your approach at this stage. And I know that this is easier said than done, but you must try to focus on your strengths. Recognizing your weaknesses is one thing, but worrying about them and trying to "fix" something like RC (for example) in one week will make it harder for you to get the score that you are capable of getting right now.
P
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 22:17
ScottTargetTestPrep: Thanks for the advice: I guess I will not be able to change my GMAT date now. Will go ahead with the best I could at this moment and utilize more from your strategy in case I need to have a retake

AjiteshArun: Thanks for the words of caution. The best I have realized so far is the importance of the first 12 questions. And I guess who other than you (a V51) would know it better. Will try to keep calm and use the best of what I have learnt so far. From introspection and analyzing my weaknesses I have realized following problems with my approach on the test (Although when doing a standalone quiz, I never do this. But maybe due to test anxiety of doing the most number of questions correct in the least time, I falter with my basics). These are the error I do during the test(and not otherwise):

Errors in SC
  • Not spending much time on original sentence to get the meaning and find the structure/grammar errors (In Ron's language: I am looking at things rather than looking for things)
  • I am just looking for quick splits in the SC questions and then immediately trying to eliminate and then fit in the remaining 2-3 options.

Errors in CR

• Not getting the premise and conclusion precisely before jumping at the options
  • Hardly pre-phrasing the question and not really analyzing if the argument is strong or weak.
  • Not very mindful of the family of a question(Prove, Help, Hurt) and hence not able to eliminate the definitely wrong choices

Errors in RC
  • Writing long notes with factfactfact
  • Not really mindful that questions won't ask to rephrase facts but to analyze a particular segment or the text or the overall tone/intent of the author extra. (Although capable of doing this in standalone quizzes, I severely falter at test)
  • Spending too much time due to unnecessary notes without really capturing the gist. And even if I do, there is already too much effort and time spent and eventually, i land up in a zone of more anxiety because of even lesser time left

I think I know a bit about what needs to be improved now. Thanks again for all the help the Guardian angels of GMAT :)
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 22:42
It's good to see that you've identified the things that you need to work on. I wanted to take this opportunity to wish you all the best, but it may be a good idea to also address the "first 12 questions" bit. How are you going to respond to this idea that the first X questions are extremely important? If you respond by giving those questions more time, you might not be able to finish well. Finishing well is not very important for scores at the lower end of the scale, but most test takers here are not targeting those scores. What I'm trying to say is that (a) I think it's a good idea to solve the question in front of you, without worrying about the position of that question in the test.

That, and (b) all the best. :)
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 20:00
Understood. Let me know how things go with the test.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 20:00

Completely blacked out after multiple varied results in verbal section

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep