GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 442
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jun 2015, 23:43
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (02:20) correct 36% (02:30) wrong based on 624 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments

Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav, a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application, to remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform. The police departments making the request fear that such information could interfere with law enforcement operations. In response, Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that “most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby."

Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?

Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav.

Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.

Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards.

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations.


48 Hour Window Answer & Explanation Window
Earn KUDOS! Have your explanations evaluated to help boost your learning. Post your reasoning why the answer you chose is correct, and why the other 4 options are incorrect within 48 hours of this post.

Official Explanation Below


◀ CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: Question 2) Violent Forms of Robbery

▶ CR EVALUATION SERIES: Question 1) The Berringer Motorcycle Co.

_________________

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 09 Jun 2015, 22:03.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 11 Jun 2015, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2624
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 18:59
6
[quote="EMPOWERgmatMax"]CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments

Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav, a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application, to remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform. The police departments making the request fear that such information could interfere with law enforcement operations. In response, Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that “most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby.".

Text in blue: premises/background
Text in red: counter premise
Text in green: Conclusion

This is a tricky one (probably a 700+ level question!). First of all, correct answer to any assumption question will do 2 things:

1. Strengthen the conclusion or increase the probability of the validity of the conclusion
2. Weaken the conclusion when negated.

In this question, many police departments are requesting Traffnav to remove the ability to report police presence at any given time. This request is based on the fact that such notifications hinder the law enforcement operations (probably help criminals by telling where exactly are police personnel so that they can avoid those routes etc.). Traffnav counters this proposition by stating that this reporting feature will not be removed as people tend to drive more carefully when they know that police is close by.

Prethinking: The argument presented by Traffnav assumes that the real time traffic data that helps make people better drivers, does not interfere with the law enforcement operation. This is aptly captured by option D and is thus the correct answer. FYI, the first round of analysing options helped to eliminate A,B and C. Applying negation technique to options D and E eliminated E.

Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?

Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav.
Incorrect. The correct option in an assumption question is an absolute must for the conclusion to hold true. This option is not a must be true information and the conclusion can still stand without this option. Traffnav did not reject the request of FB's PD based on the relative crime rates.

Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.
Incorrect. Similar to option A, this choice is not an absolute must for the conclusion to hold true. If this option is actually true, then the conclusion that the police reporting feature is an integral part of good driving habits is weakened.

Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards.
Incorrect. This choice is irrelevant as it provides no additional information to make conclusion more believable.

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.
Correct. This choice plugs in the gap in the argument's premise and the conclusion. If this option is negated ( Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also could be used to interfere with law enforcement operations), this negation directly weakens the conclusion and is thus the necessary premise that will increase the validity of the conclusion.

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations.
Incorrect. This choice strengthens police department's view and not the conclusion of Traffnav. The question asks us to find the assumption for the point put forth by Traffnav.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2015
Posts: 223
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 18:42
1
Conclusion - most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby
POE-
Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav. - Incorrect, The conclusion doesn't depend on the relative crime rate of Barnsdale
Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.
Incorrect, The conclusion doesn't depend on the relative traffic condition of Barnsdale
Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards. Incorrect, Even if they use the app, the conclusion is not affected by this fact

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations. Correct, if the traffic data can be used to interfere with law enforcement operations, then the conclusion of Traffnav that the app serves to further the law is weakened as the same apps can also be used to interfere with law enforcement

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations. - Incorrect, If the data can't be used to avoid law enforcement operations then this strengthens the conclusion
_________________
Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 442
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 23:42
2
1
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments

Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav, a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application, to remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform. The police departments making the request fear that such information could interfere with law enforcement operations. In response, Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that “most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby."

Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?

Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav.

Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.

Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards.

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations.


Official Explanation

Question Type: Assumption
Boil It Down (Simplified & Abbreviated Summary of the Prompt): Traffnav users more careful because of officer sighting reporting feature -> Shouldn’t stop sighting reporting
Missing Information (assumption): Traffnav doesn’t interfere with law enforcement operations.
Goal: Find the option that contains missing information required for the argument to logically function.

Note: The Opposite Test – Since by definition an assumption is a piece of missing information required for the argument to work, if we take the opposite of a valid assumption the argument will collapse. Therefore, we can use the Opposite Test with the options. Just take the logical opposite of the option and ask: does the argument collapse? If not, the option is wrong. If yes, it’s the correct option.

Traffnav’s response that drivers are safer when aware of law enforcement presence altogether and mysteriously bypasses the claim raised by the police departments that the awareness of law enforcement presence can interfere with law enforcement operations (think camera crews, and overly curious onlookers). Just because people are generally safer if they’re aware that police are nearby, doesn’t also prevent some from interfering with police operations.
We need an option that helps buttress Traffnav from the claim that the app can be used to interfere with police operations.

Let’s see which option best achieves the goal:


Ⓐ Traffnav’s response doesn’t require any information about Fort Barnsdale’s crime rate. Applying the Opposite Test: Fort Barnsdale could have a relatively high or low crime rate, and Traffnav’s position could still stand.

Ⓑ Similar to A, this option raises a factor that is completely irrelevant to Traffnav’s reasoning. Fort Barnsdale’s traffic conditions have no impact on their argument. Whether the traffic conditions are good or poor is in no way something that Traffnav’s response requires. The Opposite Test: Fort Barnsdale DOES have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature. No impact on the argument, so not required.

Ⓒ The Opposite Test: Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers NEVER use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards. No impact on the argument. Whether Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers do or do not use the app is not something required for Traffnav’s argument to hold.


Ⓓ The Opposite Test: Traffnav's real-time traffic data CAN also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations. Argument dismantled. If most people tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby, but Traffnav’s app can ALSO be used to interfere with law enforcement operations, then Traffnav’s argument would blow up in the company’s face. That proves that this option is required to be true for Traffnav’s response to hold.

Ⓔ This option is the statistical runner up because the ability of drivers to AVOID law enforcement seems to be on Traffnav’s side at a casual glance, however the subject of AVOIDANCE is logically irrelevant to the argument. If some can use the data to avoid law enforcement operations that’s irrelevant since it would also leave the possibility open that some could still use that data to seek out and interfere with law enforcement options. This piece of information is definitely not something required by Traffnav’s response. The Opposite Test: Traffnav's real-time traffic data CAN’T be used to avoid law enforcement operations. No impact on the argument. People may still or still not interfere with police operations.


◀ CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: Question 2) Violent Forms of Robbery

▶ CR EVALUATION SERIES: Question 1) The Berringer Motorcycle Co.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
WE: Other (Retail Banking)
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 06:28
if we use assumption negation technique, we can see that answer choice D is weakening the argument made by Traffnav in response to Police Department. In other words, "assumption negation technique" means that we have to logically negate the answer choice and see if negated answer choice weakens the argument, then that is the correct answer choice.

So, if Traffnav's real-time traffic data could also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations (logical negation of the given answer choice), then Police Department's concern is still relevant.

P.S. apply "assumption negation technique" to only contender answer choices.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2136
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 05:10
Ⓔ This option is the statistical runner up because the ability of drivers to AVOID law enforcement seems to be on Traffnav’s side at a casual glance, however the subject of AVOIDANCE is logically irrelevant to the argument. If some can use the data to avoid law enforcement operations that’s irrelevant since it would also leave the possibility open that some could still use that data to seek out and interfere with law enforcement options. This piece of information is definitely not something required by Traffnav’s response. The Opposite Test: Traffnav's real-time traffic data CAN’T be used to avoid law enforcement operations. No impact on the argument. People may still or still not interfere with police operations.


Hi Max,
In the claim arguments such as above, I can't spot any conclusion easily. which sentence is conclusion?

Does option E work as strengthener rather than assumption?

The level of question is 600-700, how 700+ assumption question correct choice would be? How is it worded? or what is GMAT strategy of correct choice would be?

Thanks
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 442
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 21:12
Mo2men wrote:
Ⓔ This option is the statistical runner up because the ability of drivers to AVOID law enforcement seems to be on Traffnav’s side at a casual glance, however the subject of AVOIDANCE is logically irrelevant to the argument. If some can use the data to avoid law enforcement operations that’s irrelevant since it would also leave the possibility open that some could still use that data to seek out and interfere with law enforcement options. This piece of information is definitely not something required by Traffnav’s response. The Opposite Test: Traffnav's real-time traffic data CAN’T be used to avoid law enforcement operations. No impact on the argument. People may still or still not interfere with police operations.


Hi Max,
In the claim arguments such as above, I can't spot any conclusion easily. which sentence is conclusion?

Does option E work as strengthener rather than assumption?

The level of question is 600-700, how 700+ assumption question correct choice would be? How is it worded? or what is GMAT strategy of correct choice would be?

Thanks


Hi Mo2men,

I'm happy to help. We're being asked what Traffnav's response relies on. In a nutshell, the response is that Traffnav's users are more careful because of the officer sighting reporting feature, so the reporting feature shouldn’t be removed from the app.

As per E, no it can't be used as a strengthener either because using the app to AVOID law enforcement operations is Out of Focus in regard to the possibility of it still be used to intentionally interfere with law enforcement operations. In fact, if the app can be used to AVOID operations, it goes against Traffnav's position because it shows that the app can be used to make a decision as to avoid or interfere with law enforcement operations. Ultimately, E just does nothing for us as an Assumption, Strengthen, or Weaken option.

And as to the difficulty of the question, questions posted at GMAT Club are auto-calibrated based on user response to the voting tool. As you can see since the data has populated, this question is WAY, WAY up there in difficulty.
_________________
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2136
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 03:53
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Ⓔ This option is the statistical runner up because the ability of drivers to AVOID law enforcement seems to be on Traffnav’s side at a casual glance, however the subject of AVOIDANCE is logically irrelevant to the argument. If some can use the data to avoid law enforcement operations that’s irrelevant since it would also leave the possibility open that some could still use that data to seek out and interfere with law enforcement options. This piece of information is definitely not something required by Traffnav’s response. The Opposite Test: Traffnav's real-time traffic data CAN’T be used to avoid law enforcement operations. No impact on the argument. People may still or still not interfere with police operations.


Hi Max,
In the claim arguments such as above, I can't spot any conclusion easily. which sentence is conclusion?

Does option E work as strengthener rather than assumption?

The level of question is 600-700, how 700+ assumption question correct choice would be? How is it worded? or what is GMAT strategy of correct choice would be?

Thanks


Hi Mo2men,

I'm happy to help. We're being asked what Traffnav's response relies on. In a nutshell, the response is that Traffnav's users are more careful because of the officer sighting reporting feature, so the reporting feature shouldn’t be removed from the app.

As per E, no it can't be used as a strengthener either because using the app to AVOID law enforcement operations is Out of Focus in regard to the possibility of it still be used to intentionally interfere with law enforcement operations. In fact, if the app can be used to AVOID operations, it goes against Traffnav's position because it shows that the app can be used to make a decision as to avoid or interfere with law enforcement operations. Ultimately, E just does nothing for us as an Assumption, Strengthen, or Weaken option.

And as to the difficulty of the question, questions posted at GMAT Club are auto-calibrated based on user response to the voting tool. As you can see since the data has populated, this question is WAY, WAY up there in difficulty.


Hi Max,
When I asked about whether E is strengthener. I forgot to complete that E strengths the police claim which is against Traffnav. However, you pointed that out in you reply.

Thanks for your full and sufficient explanation. :good
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 73
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 07:00
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments

Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav, a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application, to remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform. The police departments making the request fear that such information could interfere with law enforcement operations. In response, Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that “most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby."

Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?

Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav.

Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.

Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards.

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations.


48 Hour Window Answer & Explanation Window
Earn KUDOS! Have your explanations evaluated to help boost your learning. Post your reasoning why the answer you chose is correct, and why the other 4 options are incorrect within 48 hours of this post.

Official Explanation Below


◀ CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: Question 2) Violent Forms of Robbery

▶ CR EVALUATION SERIES: Question 1) The Berringer Motorcycle Co.


This question was really easy IMO (D and E are the only possibly relevant answers and they are about the same general topic), and I know that it was made by a large company and that most readers will, as a result, take it as gospel (which is a logical flaw), but it suffers from a serious logical problem and is another prime example of why we should only use official questions (sorry third-party companies, but your questions usually suck). I also don't care if moderators or the company's zealots disagree - this post is more for those who are properly studying GMAT, stumble upon this question, and are properly confused as to the logic. If you don't see the problem after reading this post, either you don't understand how assumptions work or you don't understand how the negation test works. Go improve your understanding.

Actual LEO Request: "remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform"
Actual Traffnav Response: "Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that 'most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby'"
Credited Response: "Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations."
Negated Credited Response: "Traffnav's real-time traffic data could also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations."
Problem: This is too broad - it doesn't connect reported police officer sightings to interfering with law enforcement operations
Discussion as to why:

A tenant of GMAT assumptions (specifically, "relies on" assumptions) is that they are required. This means that if the assumption is not true, there is no possible way for the conclusion to still be true. We use the negation test to check this first by making the answer choice not true and then by seeing the result on the conclusion - if the conclusion can still possibly be truthful in any way, then the answer is not a required assumption. In other words, for D to be an assumption, the negation of it must leave zero room for the conclusion to still be true.

This negation of D tells us that Traffnav's real-time traffic data could possibly interfere with law enforcement operations, but it doesn't tell us which traffic data could interfere (maybe the reported police officer sightings, maybe something else). This does not force the reported police officer sightings to interfere with law enforcement operations. As a result, it's possible for the reported police officer sightings to not interfere with law enforcement operations and instead for another aspect of the traffic data to interfere instead. Under this possibility, the response of refusal (that most users drive more carefully) is not fallacious because there is no negative for the reported police officer sightings. Therefore, the response is still possible valid even when answer choice D is negated, meaning that D is not actually an assumption that is relied on by Traffnav's response.

Still don't agree? That's okay. You probably still don't realize the inner workings of the negation test. One thing to remember is that, upon negating the answer, you have to consider all remaining possible scenarios and choose the ones that are most favorable for the conclusion. If any scenario is still favorable to the conclusion, the negation information was not required because there was still another possibility. Here's a quick example:

Premise: BusinessSchool University requires at least a 500 GMAT score for entrance and does not make exceptions.
Conclusion: You were admitted.

Correct Assumption: You scored at least a 500 GMAT.
Correct Assumption Negation: You did not score at least a 500 GMAT (so you scored 490 or lower).
Correct Assumption Analysis: There is no possible outcome that still allows the conclusion to be valid or to have any support for it. Thus, this is a required assumption.

Incorrect Assumption: You scored at least a 510 GMAT.
Incorrect Assumption Negation: You did not score at least a 510 GMAT (so you scored 500 or lower).
Incorrect Assumption Analysis: It would be incorrect to consider the possibility that you scored a 400 and therefore that the conclusion is wrong and that this is a required assumption. The reason why is that you still could have scored a 500 exactly on the GMAT, which would still be compatible with the conclusion.

Rule: No matter how small the likelihood, you need to consider the negation possibilities that are most favorable to the conclusion. If even one of them is still compatible with the premises and conclusion, then the answer is not a required assumption. If under all negation possibilities the conclusion is impossible or if under all negation possibilities the conclusion no longer has any reason to be believed, then the answer is a required assumption.

Again, the credited response is too broad and says that the "traffic data" (not the reported police officer sightings) couldn't be used to interfere with law enforcement operations. The negation of this leaves open the possibility that other aspects of the traffic data could be used to interfere but that the reported police officer sightings still could not, which is still compatible with the conclusion. Thus, D is not an assumption that is relied upon by the response. This could be fixed by narrowing the scope of the answer to just the reported police officer sightings.

You might think this is minor, but it changes the way that the negation test is applied an incorrectly misleads those who are studying for the test. This can have disastrous consequences on trickier assumption questions for which (unlike here) there are multiple relevant topics in the answers.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2016
Posts: 4
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 16:50
mmagyar wrote:

This question was really easy IMO (D and E are the only possibly relevant answers and they are about the same general topic), and I know that it was made by a large company and that most readers will, as a result, take it as gospel (which is a logical flaw), but it suffers from a serious logical problem and is another prime example of why we should only use official questions (sorry third-party companies, but your questions usually suck). I also don't care if moderators or the company's zealots disagree - this post is more for those who are properly studying GMAT, stumble upon this question, and are properly confused as to the logic. If you don't see the problem after reading this post, either you don't understand how assumptions work or you don't understand how the negation test works. Go improve your understanding.

Actual LEO Request: "remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform"
Actual Traffnav Response: "Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that 'most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby'"
Credited Response: "Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations."
Negated Credited Response: "Traffnav's real-time traffic data could also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations."
Problem: This is too broad - it doesn't connect reported police officer sightings to interfering with law enforcement operations
Discussion as to why:

A tenant of GMAT assumptions (specifically, "relies on" assumptions) is that they are required. This means that if the assumption is not true, there is no possible way for the conclusion to still be true. We use the negation test to check this first by making the answer choice not true and then by seeing the result on the conclusion - if the conclusion can still possibly be truthful in any way, then the answer is not a required assumption. In other words, for D to be an assumption, the negation of it must leave zero room for the conclusion to still be true.

This negation of D tells us that Traffnav's real-time traffic data could possibly interfere with law enforcement operations, but it doesn't tell us which traffic data could interfere (maybe the reported police officer sightings, maybe something else). This does not force the reported police officer sightings to interfere with law enforcement operations. As a result, it's possible for the reported police officer sightings to not interfere with law enforcement operations and instead for another aspect of the traffic data to interfere instead. Under this possibility, the response of refusal (that most users drive more carefully) is not fallacious because there is no negative for the reported police officer sightings. Therefore, the response is still possible valid even when answer choice D is negated, meaning that D is not actually an assumption that is relied on by Traffnav's response.

Still don't agree? That's okay. You probably still don't realize the inner workings of the negation test. One thing to remember is that, upon negating the answer, you have to consider all remaining possible scenarios and choose the ones that are most favorable for the conclusion. If any scenario is still favorable to the conclusion, the negation information was not required because there was still another possibility. Here's a quick example:

Premise: BusinessSchool University requires at least a 500 GMAT score for entrance and does not make exceptions.
Conclusion: You were admitted.

Correct Assumption: You scored at least a 500 GMAT.
Correct Assumption Negation: You did not score at least a 500 GMAT (so you scored 490 or lower).
Correct Assumption Analysis: There is no possible outcome that still allows the conclusion to be valid or to have any support for it. Thus, this is a required assumption.

Incorrect Assumption: You scored at least a 510 GMAT.
Incorrect Assumption Negation: You did not score at least a 510 GMAT (so you scored 500 or lower).
Incorrect Assumption Analysis: It would be incorrect to consider the possibility that you scored a 400 and therefore that the conclusion is wrong and that this is a required assumption. The reason why is that you still could have scored a 500 exactly on the GMAT, which would still be compatible with the conclusion.

Rule: No matter how small the likelihood, you need to consider the negation possibilities that are most favorable to the conclusion. If even one of them is still compatible with the premises and conclusion, then the answer is not a required assumption. If under all negation possibilities the conclusion is impossible or if under all negation possibilities the conclusion no longer has any reason to be believed, then the answer is a required assumption.

Again, the credited response is too broad and says that the "traffic data" (not the reported police officer sightings) couldn't be used to interfere with law enforcement operations. The negation of this leaves open the possibility that other aspects of the traffic data could be used to interfere but that the reported police officer sightings still could not, which is still compatible with the conclusion. Thus, D is not an assumption that is relied upon by the response. This could be fixed by narrowing the scope of the answer to just the reported police officer sightings.

You might think this is minor, but it changes the way that the negation test is applied an incorrectly misleads those who are studying for the test. This can have disastrous consequences on trickier assumption questions for which (unlike here) there are multiple relevant topics in the answers.

You are a good question analyst, are you an aspiring GMAT tutor? I think you misinterpreted this question though. Look at exactly what this question is asking us to do. "Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions? "
Traffnav is assuming Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.
Applying negation technique: Traffnav's real-time traffic data could also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.
In that case the response by Traffnav fails to address the police department's claim. On top of that, the stimulus describes the app as "a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application" so the police sightings feature would fall under the real-time traffic data description by that definition.
I think your understanding of the negation technique is really good, but I think you misinterpreted the objective of the question to find something Traffnav's response to the police department's claim depends on. Without D, the response has no impact on the claim, thus negation technique makes Traffnav's response without any merit.

By the way, why attack this question of all things? It seems like I can find 1000s of other third party questions that are more questionable than this one. Seems strange. Also, it's a little demeaning to say to whole GMAT Club community that if you don't agree then you don't understand negation. Your point can be well taken without being having a rude manner. I mean no offense to you. I hope you understand.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 73
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 21:35
1
gmatapoorv wrote:
You are a good question analyst, are you an aspiring GMAT tutor?


I have been teaching and tutoring GMAT and LSAT professionally for almost 10 years (I only mention LSAT because half of it is GMAT CR on crack). I have spent many thousands of hours with many thousands of students from many different backgrounds. I have built test prep programs and hired/trained teachers and tutors. I hope by now I am no longer still "aspiring".

gmatapoorv wrote:
I think you misinterpreted this question though. Look at exactly what this question is asking us to do. "Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions? "
...
I think you misinterpreted the objective of the question to find something Traffnav's response to the police department's claim depends on.


I haven't misinterpreted the question, but most everyone else has - that's the point of my original post. You imply that I am not following the question's instructions, but I'll quickly try to show again why I have, even though others (including you just now) haven't.

We are being asked to find a required assumption for "Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?" (direct copy and paste from the question stem with emphasis added).

First, we are analyzing the request and the response, but you still haven't actually identified either of these as important. Why is that?

Second, "relies on which of the following assumptions" means we are looking for an assumption that it depends on.

Therefore, we are exactly looking for something that "Traffnav's response to the police department's claim depends on", and I haven't "misinterpreted the objective of the question"

Let's actually identify those things:

Request: "remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform"
Response: "Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that 'most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby'"

This is entirely about the reported police officer sightings, and nothing else. It directly tells you that in the question. Why aren't you recognizing that?

gmatapoorv wrote:
the stimulus describes the app as "a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application" so the police sightings feature would fall under the real-time traffic data description by that definition.


Yes, but as I mentioned in my original post, the credited response includes such reported sightings, but not in a permissible way. I showed earlier that such an inclusion was not done properly to create an assumption. I suggest you read that again and maybe you'll see why it is not an assumption.

gmatapoorv wrote:
By the way, why attack this question of all things? It seems like I can find 1000s of other third party questions that are more questionable than this one. Seems strange.


So I shouldn't point out a poorly written question because others are worse? That's bad logic.

gmatapoorv wrote:
Also, it's a little demeaning to say to whole GMAT Club community that if you don't agree then you don't understand negation.


I still don't see why this is wrong. If I said 1 + 1 = 2, would it be wrong to say something similar? (assuming under base 10 and all that jazz)

gmatapoorv wrote:
Your point can be well taken without being having a rude manner. I mean no offense to you. I hope you understand.


I fight against these bad questions and people who defend them all the time - sometimes on GMAT Club (though not as much recently), sometimes not. I do it because I send a lot of students to GMAT Club and other similar resources, but crap like this gets students relying on bad information and then I have to fix their warped understandings (oh my god is sentence correction so poorly explained on the internet).

I used to be nice about pointing out flaws, but it gets nowhere, probably because I don't have an "expert" tag next to my name (sadly, people are instinctively wired to be group-based and focus more on group designations such as those, so they don't respect contrary opinions such as mine). It's also sad because Bunuel does a phenomenal job on the quant side, but (and I qualify this by saying that I haven't been around in a while) I don't see a lot of rockstars on the verbal side. It's a little demoralizing and seems to be a pointless effort in general, but I still fight the good fight for my students.

I mean no offense to you or anyone specifically, and I especially don't mean to offend those with an open mind. I do, however, have no sympathy for certain of the big companies who are overly confident in their crap products and use cherry-picked testimonials to attract customers, take their money, and then provide bad content (they know who they are - I used to work for one of them - and by the way this in no way is directed specifically at EmpowerGMAT because I have very little experience with them, though if they are going to charge students $99+ a month, they should probably have better questions than this). I used to send nice, cordial emails to companies and/or to mods on sites like these, but almost every time I got either no response or an F-off response, so I'm done with that.

I also hold others (especially students) to a high standard - I'm not going to sugar-coat it when they are deficient in content and need to fix that. To not be honest with them is to do them a disservice. And I would expect the same treatment from others.

Cheers
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1536
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 14:25
in gmat, theere are many pattern similar to this question. That is, there are 2 parallel argument, and the second is the main argument most of time. Because there are 2 arguments, the scope shifts; the right answer should cover the shift of the scope => C is correct.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1018
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 10:05
Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav, a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application, to remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform. The police departments making the request fear that such information could interfere with law enforcement operations. In response, Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that “most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby."

Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?

Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav.

Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.

Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards.

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations.

Premise 1 : Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav to report police officer sightings from the platform.
Premise 2 : such information could interfere with law enforcement operations.
Premise 3 : most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby

Traffnav assumes that the sightings of law enforcement can not be used to do criminal activities.
D states just that .
_________________
Please give kudos if you found my answers useful
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1536
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 20:51
arvind910619 wrote:
Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav, a social media navigation company that operates a real-time traffic condition sharing application, to remove the ability to report police officer sightings from the platform. The police departments making the request fear that such information could interfere with law enforcement operations. In response, Traffnav has refused to honor the request, citing that “most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby."

Traffnav's response to the police department's request relies on which of the following assumptions?

Ⓐ Fort Barnsdale has one of the lowest crime rates of any of the cities submitting the request to Traffnav.

Ⓑ Fort Barnsdale does not have the worst traffic conditions of the cities calling the removal of Traffnav’s police location reporting feature.

Ⓒ Fort Barnsdale’s law enforcement officers sometimes use the Traffnav app to avoid traffic congestion or road hazards

Ⓓ Traffnav's real-time traffic data couldn’t also be used to interfere with law enforcement operations.

Ⓔ Traffnav's real-time traffic data can also be used to avoid law enforcement operations.

Premise 1 : Several police departments, including Fort Barnsdale's, have called on Traffnav to report police officer sightings from the platform.
Premise 2 : such information could interfere with law enforcement operations.
Premise 3 : most users tend to drive more carefully when they believe law enforcement is nearby

Traffnav assumes that the sightings of law enforcement can not be used to do criminal activities.
D states just that .


Yeah, I also often take all premises on one side and the main conclusion on the other side if I have shortage of time to check the relationship between the premises and the conclusion. Nevertheless, doing so will reduce my ability to think precisely, or fully interpret the idea and logic behind the argument.
GMAT Club Bot
CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2017, 20:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CR ASSUMPTION SERIES: 3) Several Police Departments

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.