GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CR Patterns & CR Categories: Analysis vs Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
CR Patterns & CR Categories: Analysis vs Plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 18:58

CR Patterns (Initiative to document all CR Patterns)

I'm creating this CR thread to document all CR patterns. I have seen some patterns in CR Qs that are repeated quite often. While some CR patterns have been discussed in details, there are many patterns that people haven't noticed since they haven't been discussed anywhere. I believe that you can really improve your timing for CR if you can spot patterns. I encourage everyone to use this thread to post any pattern that you identify while practicing CRs.

I would really appreciate if some experts could discuss the CR Categories (Analysis/Critique vs Construction/Plan) and share some unknown patterns that might be helpful for everyone to know.
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

Discussed in detail everywhere including CR Bible:

1) Cause & Effect
2) Numbers & Percentages

Discussed in some places:

1) Sampling (Weaken: Unrepresentative Sample; Strengthen/Assumption: Representative Sample)
2) Qualified Conclusion (Weaken: Condition won't be met; Strengthen/Assumption: Condition will be met)

Some patterns that I've spotted and that haven't been discussed/documented:

1) Plan (Weaken: Imperfect Implementation; Strengthen/Assumption: Perfect Implementation)

2) Relationship between 3 things
https://gmatclub.com/forum/when-limitat ... 41065.html

Correlation between A (nuclear-arms testing) & B (people saving money)
Conclusion: C (Perceived threat of nuclear catastrophe), B changes (saving decreases)

Assumption: A is related to C (people’s perception of the threat of nuclear catastrophe depends on the amount of nuclear -arms testing being done)

3) Average of 2 things
https://gmatclub.com/forum/life-expecta ... 43829.html

"Life expectancy" is the average age at death of the entire live-born population. In the middle of the nineteenth century, life expectancy in North America was 40 years, whereas now it is nearly 80 years. Thus, in those days, people must have been considered old at age that we now consider the prime of life. 

Weakener: Considering extremes (Most of the gains in life expectancy in the last 150 years have come from reductions in the number of infants who die in their first year of life.) 

CR Categories: Analysis vs Plan

I was wondering if someone could go in depth discussing the 2 CR categories that are seen on ESR. Currently, we have enough books/courses/posts discussing CR types such as Assumption, Inference, Weaken and so on. I'm not sure how those CR types would fit in these categories.

ESR guide describes these CR categories as:
1) The Critical Reasoning Analysis/Critique graph displays the percentage of questions answered correctly. Problems in this category test your ability to analyze the information given to you in the passage and carefully make reasoned judgments demonstrated by evaluating and breaking down an argument.
2) The Critical Reasoning Construction/Plan graph displays the percentage of questions answered correctly. Problems identified in this category test your ability to use the information given in a passage to construct a plan of action for find the best logical solution.
Attachments

CR Categories on ESR.png
CR Categories on ESR.png [ 546.11 KiB | Viewed 594 times ]

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful,

KUDOS

are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Re: CR Patterns & CR Categories: Analysis vs Plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 03:48
would be nice to hear from the experts
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 18:38
Hi Pdirienzo,

Are you looking for advice on how to improve in GMAT verbal?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 00:36
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Pdirienzo,

Are you looking for advice on how to improve in GMAT verbal?

Yes I am!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 12:47
Hi Pdirienzo,

Rather than 'piggyback' on this thread, I suggest that you start a new thread that provides a bit more information on how you've been studying, your Score Goal, when you want to take the GMAT, etc. If you'd like to discuss any of that privately, then you can feel free to PM or email me directly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: CR Patterns & CR Categories: Analysis vs Plan   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2019, 12:47

CR Patterns & CR Categories: Analysis vs Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap