GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 14:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

DeGroote FT vs. Co-Op

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
DeGroote FT vs. Co-Op  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 11:53
Thoughts on both?

I'm having trouble deciding which program to apply to. I'm 27 years old with 4 years full time work experience (1 year in a managerial position). I feel like I'm sort of "in the middle" of the two programs as the co-op seems to be aimed at people coming right out of their undergrad with zero to little work experience where the full time program is for people who have a few years of managerial/professional/technical work experience. Does anyone know the average ages for both programs? I know if you don't get into co-op they will automatically consider you for the FT program - would it be better for me to just apply to co-op then?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: DeGroote FT vs. Co-Op  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 01:02
Venice2000 wrote:
Thoughts on both?

I'm having trouble deciding which program to apply to. I'm 27 years old with 4 years full time work experience (1 year in a managerial position). I feel like I'm sort of "in the middle" of the two programs as the co-op seems to be aimed at people coming right out of their undergrad with zero to little work experience where the full time program is for people who have a few years of managerial/professional/technical work experience. Does anyone know the average ages for both programs? I know if you don't get into co-op they will automatically consider you for the FT program - would it be better for me to just apply to co-op then?

Hi Venice,
You are correct in assuming that co-op programs are mostly for students with little or no work ex. Having said that co-op programs have helped a lot of international students get acquainted to the job market as well. As for your age/profile, you fit for FT programs. Of what I know DeGroote's forte is co-op that implies less focus is provided for FT students in recruitment cycle. You should speak to current students in both FT and co-op programs and most of your queries will be resolved.
Best,

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 09:21
Venice2000 wrote:
Thoughts on both?

Hey Venice2000,
your work ex much much better. Don't go for DeGroote's FT as it is totally trash. They focus on their co-op students and the FT is barely given any attention. I had received both the offers from DeGroote, and so I had done a lot of research, and I would highly recommend that you consider other b-schools with that kind of profile. Try Ivey/Queens. I think they will do justice to your work ex.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A)

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 16:18
Hi Venice,

I agree with what Rekha and Edusimplified have stated. With your age and experience, you consider Ivy and Queens if you have a 660+ GMAT score. Being a current FT MBA student at Mcmaster, I would recommend you only to consider Co-op MBA program at DeGroote especially if you don't have any Canadian experience. In the Co-op program international students, age varies from 24 to 28. However, Canadian students age ranges from 22 to 25. Canadian students are at least 70% of the batch size in the Co-op program.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 17:03
Unfortunately I do not have the GMAT score necessary for Ivey/Queens. I am Canadian, and all my work experience is in Canada. I think I am going to go with the FT program.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A)

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 21:37
Venice2000 wrote:
Unfortunately I do not have the GMAT score necessary for Ivey/Queens. I am Canadian, and all my work experience is in Canada. I think I am going to go with the FT program.

Oh!! if you are Canadian and have Canadian experience/Network then FT MBA could be value for money as you won't be paying 78K dollars of fees. Being Canadian you would be required to pay half of that. Go for it.
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 00:19
Venice2000 wrote:

Why don't you give it a shot? I have a GMAT score of 620, zero canadian experience( I have about 3 yrs of work ex in IT) and yet got accepted at Ivey.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 00:32
Venice2000 wrote:

Have you tried other schools ?
Ryerson is pretty good too, considering you'll be in downtown TO.
Laurier at Waterloo is also good.

Deep A.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 00:33
rekhabishop wrote:
Venice2000 wrote:

Why don't you give it a shot? I have a GMAT score of 620, zero canadian experience( I have about 3 yrs of work ex in IT) and yet got accepted at Ivey.

Hi Rekha,
I'm confused a little bit. Did you choose Degroote over Ivey ? If you I'd like to know why, please?

Deep A.

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 02:52
EduSimplified wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
Venice2000 wrote:

Hi Rekha,
I'm confused a little bit. Did you choose Degroote over Ivey ? If you I'd like to know why, please?

I understand that doubt. But, well I am trying to switch from IT to marketing. So, I am not sure if a one year program would be the best fit for me.
And just FYI, I haven't chosen any. I will re-write GMAT and apply again, next fall. :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 03:43
Hi guys !

profile- Indian, I.T Engineer with an overall experience of 1 year. Also i have a gap of 8 months due to medical issues. I have been looking to apply for the co-op program but couldn't find much good reviews regarding the program . Can please anyone share their experience regarding the co-op program.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 12:21
Hi pls I need advice
I got admitted to the DeGroote FT mba and university of Manitoba’s MBA, I’m an international student and it cld take anything from 3-4 months for my study permit to be processed.
Mcmaster has only sept as it’s resumption date so if my study permit is not ready as at then I get to wait till next sept but if I go for Manitoba I’ll be able to defer to January if I don’t get the permit in time for fall resumption.
I really like Mcmaster so I don’t know what to do
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.84

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 15:06
Go for what you like and speed up your visa process for September entry.

I know it's a tough decision to choose FT@ Degroote,but as per the current FT students,the program is worth to go.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: DeGroote"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 10:19
rekhabishop mam, what is the average age for McMaster MBA?

Posted from my mobile device
Re: DeGroote FT vs. Co-Op &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jun 2018, 10:19

DeGroote FT vs. Co-Op

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap