It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desperate need of help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

GPA: 4
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Desperate need of help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 14:00
Dear experts,

Today was my second attempt of GMAT and unfortunately I scored less than my first attempt.

GMAT 1 Oct'16 - 680 (Q50, V30)
GMAT 2 Aug'17 - 670 (Q49, V33)

My scores in 6 official practice tests were - 730, 730, 710, 690, 700, 730.

I'm absolutely devastated and on the verge of depression after this horrendous performance. I feel I'm just not good enough for GMAT.

I've been studying for this attempt since mid of may. Consistency in studies was an issue because of extremely long and gruelling work hours. To be better prepared for the exam I took three weeks leave from office. Throughout this time I was constantly working on my weak areas. Practice tests showed I'm in the right direction.

But I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. Not sure whether a stomach upset played a role in distracting me throughout the test.

I'm absolutely dejected and feel so useless.

Just wanted to check with the community whether I can do something now ? To carry forward the momentum should I go for a reattempt as soon as possible ? I'm scared if my third attempt doesn't go as per plan then my dream of an MBA will be over forever.

Please help me in coming out of this deep shit. I don't want my MBA dream to die so soon. I'm actually not as bad as my score is reflecting.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Re: Desperate need of help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 19:59
I am not a Gmat expert but I will give you my opinion. Firstly, your Gmat score does not define who you are nor what you can become. Secondly, your score is already competitive, which means that it is highly plausible, that with time and more practice, you can reach your desired score (I assume that you are aiming to score in the low 700's). Practice makes perfect! You have to also take into consideration that you started studying in May, which means that you have not studied for long enough. Even though the concepts and rules tested on the GMAT are fairly simple, the daunting aspect of the GMAT is that you need to know how to use those concepts and rules in a very specific way to solve problems (think of some problems in the GMAT more as tricky puzzles than as regular academic practice problems). In order to get good at solving GMAT problems, you will not only need to study a lot but you will also need to study a lot within a relatively long time horizon. As time passes, you will become more adept at being able to recognize the tricks and shortcuts that you have to use in order to efficiently solve a GMAT problem (puzzle). If you are 100% confident that your test scores are anomalies, then take it again soon when you're ready. If you do not think that your test scores are anomalies, then wait a little longer and practice meanwhile. Given your actual scores and since you started studying not so long ago, I am confident that you'll be able to improve your score. Practice, practice and practice more!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 22:22
Hi Yashkumar,

First off, a 680/Q50 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 Official Scores and your various CAT scores show that you essentially performed the same way each time (around 700 +/- a few points). The fact that your recent Official Score is almost identical to your score from 10 months ago implies that there are certain subtle aspects of Test Day that you have not properly trained for though. At higher-and-higher score levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions) - and if you truly had an upset stomach for much of the Exam, then that might have 'thrown off' your performance a bit.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3662 [0], given: 173

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18091 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 01:40
Yashkumar wrote:
Dear experts,

Today was my second attempt of GMAT and unfortunately I scored less than my first attempt.

My scores in 6 official practice tests were - 730, 730, 710, 690, 700, 730.

I'm absolutely devastated and on the verge of depression after this horrendous performance. I feel I'm just not good enough for GMAT.

I've been studying for this attempt since mid of may. Consistency in studies was an issue because of extremely long and gruelling work hours. To be better prepared for the exam I took three weeks leave from office. Throughout this time I was constantly working on my weak areas. Practice tests showed I'm in the right direction.

But I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. Not sure whether a stomach upset played a role in distracting me throughout the test.

I'm absolutely dejected and feel so useless.

Just wanted to check with the community whether I can do something now ? To carry forward the momentum should I go for a reattempt as soon as possible ? I'm scared if my third attempt doesn't go as per plan then my dream of an MBA will be over forever.

Please help me in coming out of this deep shit. I don't want my MBA dream to die so soon. I'm actually not as bad as my score is reflecting.

Your score is respectable for many of the top schools. Agreed, it's below their average score of about 710-720 but it does lie in the middle 80% range. It won't raise any eyebrows though the Quant/Verbal split isn't ideal.
I suggest you to work hard on your Verbal for a couple of months. You might want to read up on theory too - all about how to solve various question types etc. Once you get your score up by 5 points, a retake should take you to700+.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18091 [0], given: 236

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 06:29
Yashkumar wrote:
Dear experts,

Hi Yashkumar, in Verbal, which sub-section (among RC/SC/CR) is your weaker area? Is there a pattern you can spot?

Did you order ESR?

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 138

Schools: AGSM '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 10:24
I think you just had a bad day.

For an exam like this which demands presence of mind more than anything else, even a slightest of the distraction can be extremely harmful.

I would suggest you to give it another try in a month's time. It seems like a test of your patience and perseverance now and not of skill or knowledge and as a manager you'll need a lot of that.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 138

Re: Desperate need of help   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 10:24

Desperate need of help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap