Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 00:36
I have defined the gap in above post. Do you have any specific question. At least give your reasoning.

Posted from my mobile device

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 07:00
siddharthfrancis wrote:
why is the answer to the 4th questions B and not E. ??

hey siddharthfrancis,

The statement B says
B)It demonstrates why the biological species concept is invalid.

According to the author, the idea is too restrictive. From this statement, we can easily infer that this idea carries some value; it doesn't matter how much.
So, the biological species concept is not invalid.
S

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 07:45
siddharthfrancis wrote:

Check out this post from Lucy Phuong.
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 13:11
siddharthfrancis wrote:

Dear siddharthfrancis,
Happy to help here.

Quote:
Which of the following best describes the function of lines 10-13?

Line 10-13: [First, mating between groups labeled as different species (hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family, is quite common in nature.]
To well understand this line, Kindly make sure that you read some part of the passage before and after the line.

Quote:
According to this view, a species is a group of animals that can mate with one another to produce fertile offspring but cannot mate successfully with members of a different group. Yet this idea can be too restrictive.
If I read this line before the highlighted line, the thing that stands out to me is the one mentioned in bold."Yet this idea can be too restrictive". This gives me a gist that author is going to mention some restriction or something that holds back the biological species concept.

First, mating between groups labeled as different species (hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family, is quite common in nature.

Quote:
Second, sometimes the differences between two populations might not prevent them from interbreeding, even though they are dissimilar in traits unrelated to reproduction; some biologists question whether such disparate groups should be considered a single species.
Even though this may be left unread, but if you still read this, it shows that this sentence starts with Second which means that it is to add the point further which is conveyed in the highlighted sentence.
Quote:
B. It develops a point about the biological species concept made in the previous sentence.
The highlighted text in line 10-13 actually adds value/develop/makes concrete the previous sentence "Yet this idea can be too restrictive." The highlighted sentence actually explains one of the three restrictions mentioned, as discussed above. Hence this is correct.
Quote:
E. It demonstrates why the biological species concept is invalid.
While E says it demonstrates why biological species concept is invalid. The passage no where says that the biological species concept is invalid. Though the highlighted text mentions the restriction of biological species concept, but the validity has not been challenged anywhere.
Kindly see the text in the first line of second paragraph, which says "When the biological species concept is difficult to apply" but not invalid....

I hope this helps.
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 23:40
Can anyone please explain why option c in question 3 is wrong.
In the opening line it is mentioned that no single definition of the term exists. Is "Arbitary process" a too far interpretation of the same.
Kindly help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 17:53
pratiknayan10 wrote:
Can anyone please explain why option c in question 3 is wrong.
In the opening line it is mentioned that no single definition of the term exists. Is "Arbitary process" a too far interpretation of the same.
Kindly help

I believe you're referring to choice (B):

Quote:
B. Because no standard definition exists for what constitutes a species, the classification of animal populations is inevitably an arbitrary process.

And yes, you're on the right track. The second half of this statement does not reflect what the author has written.

If the classification of animal populations were inevitably an arbitrary process, then no matter what scientists may try, we wouldn't expect them to ever classify animal populations in a consistent way. Yet, in the second paragraph, the author suggests that phenotype comparison might reasonably be used to group animals into distinct species.

These two statements don't match, so we eliminate (B). On the other hand, choice (A) is almost a perfect rephrasing of what the author has written.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 12:59
For Q3) Could someone explain how A is correct? In the passage the author clearly writes: "When the biological species concept is difficult to apply, some investigators use phenotype".

Difficult to apply does not mean inconclusive, so how does A make sense?

I chose D because the author writes "yet this idea can be too restrictive. First, mating between groups labeled as different species (hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family, is quite common in nature"

I understand that in D the answer says hybridization is THE way of undermining the biological species concept, but this phrasing seems to be more valid than A. Could someone explain where my thinking went wrong?

GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 15:40
kchen1994 wrote:
For Q3) Could someone explain how A is correct? In the passage the author clearly writes: "When the biological species concept is difficult to apply, some investigators use phenotype".

Difficult to apply does not mean inconclusive, so how does A make sense?

I chose D because the author writes "yet this idea can be too restrictive. First, mating between groups labeled as different species (hybridization), as often occurs in the canine family, is quite common in nature"

I understand that in D the answer says hybridization is THE way of undermining the biological species concept, but this phrasing seems to be more valid than A. Could someone explain where my thinking went wrong?

GMATNinja

kchen1994, please see this post for an analysis on "difficult to apply" vs. "inconclusive" for answer choice (A).

As for answer choice (D), you are on the right track. Here is the exact wording of that answer choice:

Quote:
(D) The existence of hybrids in wild animal species is the chief factor casting doubt on the usefulness of research into reproductive compatibility as a way of classifying species.

The author mentions three separate issues with using reproductive compatibility as the basis for defining species. The author never says that one or another of those factors is more important than the others, so there is an issue with the word "chief" in the answer choice. You can eliminate answer (D) for that reason.

I hope this helps!

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 08:42
jawele wrote:
Hi,

Could anybody help me out with (Book Question: 55)
The author of the passage mentions “groups that live in different places” (in line 21) most probably in order to

A. point out a theoretical inconsistency in the biological species concept
B. offer evidence in support of the biological species concept
C. identify an obstacle to the application of the biological species concept
D. note an instance in which phenotype classification is customarily used
E. describe an alternative to the biological species concept

Although I chose the correct answer, I'm still in doubt about A. Do the words in line 20 '...that investigators cannot always determine whether...' show why this answer choice is incorrect, i.e. the underlined words actually point to an inconsistency in practice, and not in theory?

Thank you

I choose wrong "A" over right answer "C". That's how I convince myself for right answer later on:

Between A and C, there is a difference of "Theoretical inconsistency" vs "Application" regarding "biological species concept".

Biological species concept is described in passage earlier; " blah..blah..".

Now, Three issues with this concept have been presented, and 3rd one is addressed in question,"groups that live in different places". In order to answer, we need to ask if a theory is given, can it be applied at given situation marked in yellow. The answer is "No", that why passage mentions it as one of the problem with biological species concept. It's because of some situation where concept is not applied, that comes under category of "application of concept can't be applied", not concept itself is at fault or inconsistent.
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 20:34
Quote:
(Book Question: 55)
The author of the passage mentions “groups that live in different places” (in line 21) most probably in order to

(A) point out a theoretical inconsistency in the biological species concept
(B) offer evidence in support of the biological species concept
(C) identify an obstacle to the application of the biological species concept
(D) note an instance in which phenotype classification is customarily used
(E) describe an alternative to the biological species concept

u1983, GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, workout, GMATNinjaTwo, Gnpth

Dear experts, can you please explain why A is chosen over C?
My understanding is that theoretically, this concept is okay but while applying in the real world faced three problems.

egards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 08:05
siddharthfrancis wrote:

Option E says 'invalid'; However, Biological Species Concept is too restrictive not invalid.

Thanks = KUDOS
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 06:42
ArupRS wrote:
Quote:
(Book Question: 55)

(A) point out a theoretical inconsistency in the biological species concept
(B) offer evidence in support of the biological species concept
(C) identify an obstacle to the application of the biological species concept
(D) note an instance in which phenotype classification is customarily used
(E) describe an alternative to the biological species concept

u1983, GMATNinja, SajjadAhmad, workout, GMATNinjaTwo, Gnpth

Dear experts, can you please explain why A is chosen over C?
My understanding is that theoretically, this concept is okay but while applying in the real world faced three problems.

egards,
Arup

(C) is the correct answer for Q2 (book question #55) for exactly the reason you've identified. :)

I hope that helps!

Intern
Intern
B
Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jun 2019, 15:44
GMATNinja wrote:
Sakshamachiever wrote:
Hi Experts,
In Q1. The passage is primarily concerned with

A. describing the development of the biological species concept
B. responding to a critique of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species
C. considering two different approaches to identifying biological species
D. pointing out the advantage of one method of distinguishing related species
E. identifying an obstacle to the classification of biological species

I am confused between B and C. While reading the passage,the focus was on drawbacks of biological species concept (based on reproductive compatibility) and towards the end an alternative was described.So I chose B.
Can anyone explain why this is incorrect ?

As for choice (B), the author does present several possible critiques of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species, but the passage is not concerned with responding to those possible critiques.

Rather, the author presents those drawbacks to illustrate situations in which the biological species concept is difficult to apply. The author then presents an alternative (phenotype) that can be used in such situations. The author does not say that the biological species concept should be abandoned in favor of phenotype. Instead, the author simply notes that some investigators use the latter when the biological species concept is difficult to apply.

The author considers both approaches but is not primarily concerned with defending or rejecting either. Thus, choice (C) is more appropriate.

I hope that helps!

I rejected the option C and picked B for the word "Biological" assuming that it is not supported by the passage and first line of the passage says about the species and not just the biological species,

While reviewing I could eliminate B more than C!

Any tips on how to avoid such mistakes - not over-using one word off or too extreme concept

Experts may please respond!

Originally posted by MAnkur on 13 Jun 2019, 21:15.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 14 Jun 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
fixed formatting
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2019, 07:26
MAnkur wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Sakshamachiever wrote:
Hi Experts,
In Q1. The passage is primarily concerned with

A. describing the development of the biological species concept
B. responding to a critique of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species
C. considering two different approaches to identifying biological species
D. pointing out the advantage of one method of distinguishing related species
E. identifying an obstacle to the classification of biological species

I am confused between B and C. While reading the passage,the focus was on drawbacks of biological species concept (based on reproductive compatibility) and towards the end an alternative was described.So I chose B.
Can anyone explain why this is incorrect ?

As for choice (B), the author does present several possible critiques of reproductive compatibility as a criterion for defining a species, but the passage is not concerned with responding to those possible critiques.

Rather, the author presents those drawbacks to illustrate situations in which the biological species concept is difficult to apply. The author then presents an alternative (phenotype) that can be used in such situations. The author does not say that the biological species concept should be abandoned in favor of phenotype. Instead, the author simply notes that some investigators use the latter when the biological species concept is difficult to apply.

The author considers both approaches but is not primarily concerned with defending or rejecting either. Thus, choice (C) is more appropriate.

I hope that helps!

I rejected the option C and picked B for the word "Biological" assuming that it is not supported by the passage and first line of the passage says about the species and not just the biological species,

While reviewing I could eliminate B more than C!

Any tips on how to avoid such mistakes - not over-using one word off or too extreme concept

Experts may please respond!

I think you answered your own question! The key is to use process of elimination every time and to avoid prematurely eliminating options. If you know why it is wrong, eliminate it. But if you aren't quite sure what a choice means, leave it. If you are uncomfortable with a single word but not sure whether it's a deal-breaker, leave it.

For a broader discussion of RC technique, check out our RC guide for beginners.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2019, 07:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Determining whether a given population of animals constitutes a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics