It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UM Ross MSCM (2017) - prospective students forum

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

UM Ross MSCM (2017) - prospective students forum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 15:09
Hello, all,

We are the current students of Master of Supply Chain Management (MSCM) in University of Michigan (Class of 2016). We are opening the informal discussion forum here to all the prospective students, with the purpose to share info about our own experience and try to answer any questions you may come up with, which might include,

• Application process,
• the program (curriculum, action-based learning modules, internships),
• Financing (loans),
• Recruiting,
• Life in Ann Arbor (Weather, foods, housing, entertainment, lifestyles,
• Anything else :)

Please post your questions here and we will check the forum frequently to answer. Good luck! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some highlights we have for this program are,

• Deep dive into all supply chain subjects;
• Action-based learning (lots of hands-on experience and connections to industries);
• Automatic enrollment with Tauber Institute for Global Operations (a joint venture between Ross School of Business and College of Engineering)
• Guaranteed and paid summer project;
• High placements rate (100% within three-months of graduation)
• STEM certified (29 months of OPT)

If you are looking for more program specific info, you may also check out MSCM and Tauber websites, or sign up for a “Virtual info session”and/or “App chat” with the program director.

Last edited by ivanmiyu on 21 Feb 2016, 16:42, edited 2 times in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.57
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: UM Ross MSCM (2017) - prospective students forum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 03:37
Hi All,

My GMAT score is 710, and I have been working in the field of market research and consulting for 5 years. I scored 103 in TOEFL, and I have a dual degree (MSc in Bio + BE(Hons) Civil) from BITS Pilani.

Can anyone please tell me if I could apply to Ross' MSCM program. I wish to grow in operation and supply chain consulting after pursuing Ross MSCM.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, Piyushm807,

Thank you for sharing your background. I think you have a very strong profile to apply for the program. We have several folks in the current class who came from consulting.

In the class, we are having lots of chance to tackle operation and supply chain consulting cases (both quantitatively and qualitatively). Besides, right now, everybody is having their Tauber interview for the 14 week paid summer intern project, these are basically consulting based projects covering various industries including high-tech, auto, medical, FMCG etc. (e.g. Amazon, Microsoft, GM, Ford, Pfizer, General Mills) This will be a good opportunity to get some real world experience in operations and supply chain consulting. We will share more of our stories with Tauber project later. We also have quite some students from previous classes joining consulting after graduation, e.g. McKinsey, AT Kearney, Booz & Company, KPMG, EY, Deloitte, PWc etc.

Please feel free to reach us for more questions. We will have a special webinar for perspective students, to have a casual talk with our current class and answer more questions. We will post the link here later.

Good luck!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 10:50
Hi All,

I have a GMAT score of 710. I have been working in my family business from the last 3.5 years. Our business deals in manufacturing of Bicycle and auto parts. I have a 100 in Toefl and my under graduation was in Mechanical Engineering from NIT Jalandhar. I want to increase my expertise in supply chain field through this course and want to work in a manufacturing company for some time before getting back to my business to scale it up.
Can someone tell how is entrepreneurial experience considered for this program? Also, Is an experience of 4.5 years ( Jan 2017) good enough for the program?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 10:52
anuj1989m wrote:
Hi All,

I have a GMAT score of 710. I have been working in my family business from the last 3.5 years. Our business deals in manufacturing of Bicycle and auto parts. I have a 100 in Toefl and my under graduation was in Mechanical Engineering from NIT Jalandhar. I want to increase my expertise in supply chain field through this course and want to work in a manufacturing company for some time before getting back to my business to scale it up.
Can someone tell how is entrepreneurial experience considered for this program? Also, Is an experience of 4.5 years ( Jan 2017) good enough for the program?

Hi anuj,

Entrepreneurial experience is great and considered well for the program. Your scores on GMAT and TOEFL are good and the number of years of work experience is fine too. Just as a point of view- really think about your role on the business (since its family owned and founded). When you apply, make sure you deliver your application in a manner which really reflects your journey. The school also seeks to build a class where the classmates contribute to each other so make sure you exhibit your unique strengths.

Good luck!!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.76
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 05:34
Guys, I don't know whether this question is relevant here or not, excuse me for that if you find not, although I will appreciate if you reply.
My question is : Admitted guys (those who have not done their MBA before) must have appeared for GMAT so that you could apply for an MBA (most of us do for MBA ryt?) and I also assume that you were interested in operations/supply chain post your MBA. So, why did you choose Ross MSCM over MBA? An MBA would have given a broader perspective and careers switching for broader role may have been easy, so what exactly tickled you to apply in MSCM.

I have an offer from Purdue's Krannert for FT MBA, I also know its lower ranked college compared to Ross, but famous for Operations/Supply Chain. I have 710 in GMAT and 3.5 years of work experience in Procurement in Oil & Gas Sector and my Post MBA goal is to go in Operations Consulting.

I request you to please comment/ suggestion/ advice/ anything you have, I will really appreciate.
Thank you so much guys.
Kind Regards

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 14:10
Hi, actually around 20% of our class already had an MBA. I also did a part-time MBA before, the reason why i chose to join MSCM is because I would like to have in-depth knowledge on operations/ supply chain field specifically, in a business school context. My MBA study provided some breadth in different business subjects, but i feel I lack the focus and depth even though there were concentrations to choose from. Also, i feel my part-time study is not providing the networking opportunity, career-services etc to help me switch my career. That being said, I feel my MBA and MSCM study are actually complementary, it's a full time degree that can help to achieve my own career goal. I can only speak for my own situation.

For your situation, i think you might want to weigh on a few factors,

* 1 yr VS 2 yrs investments (time, efforts & money);
* More focused or broad study
* school (ranking, reputation, alumni network etc.)
* program (design, interns, recruiting data etc.)

At Ross, we also have MBA's focusing on supply chain. The key difference on the curriculum design i think is that they will cover all MBA core courses first year and then focus on electives second year (say SC courses); while in our program, we take MBA core courses through short version , i.e. boot camp, and focus more on SC related courses. Other from that, we actually share same experience in Tauber, and collaborate in many classes too.

Finally, i think you have a good profile that won't go wrong if you join either degree to achieve your career goal. We have quite some folks from previous classed joining Operations Consulting. Hope the info helps.

Sumit124431 wrote:
Guys, I don't know whether this question is relevant here or not, excuse me for that if you find not, although I will appreciate if you reply.
My question is : Admitted guys (those who have not done their MBA before) must have appeared for GMAT so that you could apply for an MBA (most of us do for MBA ryt?) and I also assume that you were interested in operations/supply chain post your MBA. So, why did you choose Ross MSCM over MBA? An MBA would have given a broader perspective and careers switching for broader role may have been easy, so what exactly tickled you to apply in MSCM.

I have an offer from Purdue's Krannert for FT MBA, I also know its lower ranked college compared to Ross, but famous for Operations/Supply Chain. I have 710 in GMAT and 3.5 years of work experience in Procurement in Oil & Gas Sector and my Post MBA goal is to go in Operations Consulting.

I request you to please comment/ suggestion/ advice/ anything you have, I will really appreciate.
Thank you so much guys.
Kind Regards

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: Owen '18 (A)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 20:48
Has anyone received an interview invite ?

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.57
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 23:39
Hey any idea by when could one expect any notification regarding further process from Ross? Has anyone received an interview invite?

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 07:51
Interview invites should be rolling out very soon (if not already). I would think everybody has received by the end of this week, early next week.

keep those nerves calm :-D :-D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
ivanmiyu wrote:
Hello, all,

We are the current students of Master of Supply Chain Management (MSCM) in University of Michigan (Class of 2016). We are opening the informal discussion forum here to all the prospective students, with the purpose to share info about our own experience and try to answer any questions you may come up with, which might include,

• Application process,
• Financing (loans),
• Recruiting,

Please post your questions here and we will check the forum frequently to answer. Good luck! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Action-based learning (lots of hands-on experience and connections to industries);
• Automatic enrollment with Tauber Institute for Global Operations (a joint venture between Ross School of Business and College of Engineering)

If you are looking for more program specific info, you may also check out MSCM and Tauber websites, or sign up for a “Virtual info session”and/or “App chat” with the program director.

Thank you for your efforts to share your experiences. I am really interested in this program, and Ross MSCM is my target program. So your information and expereinces wil be very helpful for me.

Today I got an interview invitation, and will prepare the interview for an admission. However, I do not have enough information about the interview for the program, and want you to share your interview experiences when you applied for this program, such as interview questions, atmospheres, tips, or things that I must remember. In addition, I think that it will be very good if you can let us know your winning strategy for your interview for the program.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
ciaokyu wrote:
ivanmiyu wrote:
Hello, all,

• Application process,
• Financing (loans),
• Recruiting,

Thank you for your efforts to share your experiences. I am really interested in this program, and Ross MSCM is my target program. So your information and expereinces wil be very helpful for me.

Today I got an interview invitation, and will prepare the interview for an admission. However, I do not have enough information about the interview for the program, and want you to share your interview experiences when you applied for this program, such as interview questions, atmospheres, tips, or things that I must remember. In addition, I think that it will be very good if you can let us know your winning strategy for your interview for the program.

I am glad to hear that you have received an interview invite and the MSCM program is your target! I would highly suggest you not worry about the interview from a prep point of view. I am sure through your application process and research you found out why Ross is the best program for you; additionally you would also obviously understand why supply chain as a domain is of interest to you.

If you answered yes to both of those questions then you have nothing to worry about! be yourself, be honest and be professional. No further research is required. Im assuming you have a skype interview- so obviously plan on the physical space, equipment, etc. you will use (please make sure you have a stable internet connection, test it out!).

Best of luck!! the people on the other side of the screen want to know you better and understand you- be honest, it shows!

May the admissions gods bless you! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 22:21
ivanmiyu

Thank you for helping us.
ROSS has a great brand and it's MBA program is among the best. So, I would like to know if its MSCM program is also valued at the same level.
The average GMAT and other information available on the official webpage looks great. So, can you please share you experience : is the program what you have expected.
The last question does the program considers senior (or rather old 8-10 years of EXP) applicants.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 17:39
By adding to this question about interview, I think there're a few key questions you need to ask yourself and be prepared,

* Where did you come from? (academic background and work experience)
* Where do you want to go? (short- and long-term goals)
* Why do you think Ross MSCM can help you get there? (why Ross? why MSCM? why Tauber?)
* Are you a good fit? (do you have some quality experience that can contribute to the class? Are you a team player? Are you likable?)

If you also can prepare some specific stories to help you answer those behavior based questions, it will really help. (think about examples you've worked in a team, lead a project, handled a conflict etc., focusing on the context, challenges, actions, and the results)

Lastly, just as Sonny said, be honest and be yourself. Hope you all shine in the upcoming interviews!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

ciaokyu wrote:

Last edited by ivanmiyu on 19 Mar 2016, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 18:46
Hi, MSCM program is also highly valued nationally in U.S. shown as I read it was ranked #2 in SC program. The news is a few years ago, I don't know if it's still valid. I cannot post link here, so plz google it :)

But honestly, rather than ranking, I think your own experience is most important. I've been here only less than 3 months but it has been an AMAZING experience. It's very personally fulfilling as I feel I make progress, big or small, each day. There're just so many resources and leaning opportunities. We had the chances to take classes from more than 10 professors so far in core, electives, and boot camps, and most of them are just incredible in their subject matter as well as engaging students in an interesting, interactive and practical way. We also have engaged in different activities with Tauber, and got to know leaders from different industries as well as MBA and engineering students. Our career services also spent lots of time in coaching us on resume writing, mock interviews, career development...I can go on and on, but to put it short, you will never feel bored once you are here. The real problem is how you can allocate time wisely to utilize the resources to fit your best needs.

For your last question, age or long work experience is not an issue in our class. I personally have more than 10 yrs experience and there're a few other folks similar to mine. In our current class, most of people has work experience between 3-10 yrs.

Hope this answers your questions.

endysng wrote:

ROSS has a great brand and it's MBA program is among the best. So, I would like to know if its MSCM program is also valued at the same level.
The average GMAT and other information available on the official webpage looks great. So, can you please share you experience : is the program what you have expected.
The last question does the program considers senior (or rather old 8-10 years of EXP) applicants.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 18:52
Hey guys, just want to make you aware there're student led webinar for Ross MSCM to answer questions from prospective students and share our experience. We had two webinars so far and it seems to work very well. Our next one is on 3/31 and you may register from below,

https://michiganross.umich.edu/events/m ... n-13380415

Look forward to seeing you there.

Current Student

Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 21:35
ivanmiyu wrote:
Hi, MSCM program is also highly valued nationally in U.S. shown as I read it was ranked #2 in SC program. The news is a few years ago, I don't know if it's still valid. I cannot post link here, so plz google it :)

But honestly, rather than ranking, I think your own experience is most important. I've been here only less than 3 months but it has been an AMAZING experience. It's very personally fulfilling as I feel I make progress, big or small, each day. There're just so many resources and leaning opportunities. We had the chances to take classes from more than 10 professors so far in core, electives, and boot camps, and most of them are just incredible in their subject matter as well as engaging students in an interesting, interactive and practical way. We also have engaged in different activities with Tauber, and got to know leaders from different industries as well as MBA and engineering students. Our career services also spent lots of time in coaching us on resume writing, mock interviews, career development...I can go on and on, but to put it short, you will never feel bored once you are here. The real problem is how you can allocate time wisely to utilize the resources to fit your best needs.

For your last question, age or long work experience is not an issue in our class. I personally have more than 10 yrs experience and there're a few other folks similar to mine. In our current class, most of people has work experience between 3-10 yrs.

Hope this answers your questions.

endysng wrote:

Thanks a lot!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

WE: Supply Chain Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 20:47
Hi Guys,

How many recommendation letters does Ross MSCM require ? Under application requirement it mention 2 recommendation letters are required but on application page it mention "List one recommender who will complete a reference form in support of your application. Your recommender will receive an email with instructions. If you are not selecting a direct supervisor as your recommender, please address why in the optional essay. "

Also can someone from current batch give monthly living costs estimate ? What avenues are available to MSCM students for leadership development ? Does consultancy firms hire MSCM students as in employment data no info is available. last and most dreaded doubt/fear"Does companies consider Masters student below par compared to MBA students even for ops/ supply chain roles?"

Thank you,

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Concentration: Operations, Economics
GPA: 3.76
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 04:21
Hi, Please see the eblow link, which clearly states, application requires two recommendations. I am also an prospective applicant to the program and I also have the same query unanswered" Does companies consider Masters student below par compared to MBA students even for ops/ supply chain roles?".
Please post anything related to that if you get anything.

Thanks. And Best of luck

https://michiganross.umich.edu/programs ... quirements

buffaloboy wrote:
Hi Guys,

How many recommendation letters does Ross MSCM require ? Under application requirement it mention 2 recommendation letters are required but on application page it mention "List one recommender who will complete a reference form in support of your application. Your recommender will receive an email with instructions. If you are not selecting a direct supervisor as your recommender, please address why in the optional essay. "

Also can someone from current batch give monthly living costs estimate ? What avenues are available to MSCM students for leadership development ? Does consultancy firms hire MSCM students as in employment data no info is available. last and most dreaded doubt/fear"Does companies consider Masters student below par compared to MBA students even for ops/ supply chain roles?"

Thank you,

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 15:45
Hello guys,

First of all, thank you all for sharing all this useful information!

I've received an interview invitation and I am in the process of preparing for it. It would be very helpful if you guys could tell me what questions you guys had at the time of your own interviews. I have a couple question myself but I'd like to see your perspective in case I am missing something, or maybe asking something irrelevant.

Additionally, I would be extremely grateful if you guys can share any general advice for the interview. I'm nervious!

Thanks a lot!

Re: UM Ross MSCM (2017) - prospective students forum   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2016, 15:45

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 206 posts ]