GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:00) correct 35% (01:08) wrong based on 1128 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

(A) During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

(B) Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.

(C) Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself.

(D) During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

(E) Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 07:03
haardiksharma wrote:
During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

A During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
B Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.
C Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself.
D During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
E Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.

A - No grammatical errors. Keep.
B - We don't need the present perfect tense, OUT
C - The same throne was not imprisoned. OUT.
D - 'Will' indicate future tense, but we're talking about the past here. OUT
E - Same as B, with an absurd subject i.e. the throne. OUT.

A is the right answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Re: During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:50
haardiksharma wrote:
Please explain why D is wrong

Option D is incorrect because of the use of WILL. Option D conveys that someone knew for sure in the PAST that one event is going to happen.

Was that person Nostradamus??? I guess your answer would be NO

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 11:34
haardiksharma wrote:

A During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
B Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.
C Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself.
D During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
E Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.

The modifier "During the reign of Mary I of England" is correctly modifying the noun "Elizabeth" in option A, and the rest of the sentence has not grammatical errors.

B - Incorrect usage of - "Having been"
C - Changes the meaning
D - Incorrect usage of - "will"
E - Changes the meaning

Answer is A

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 17:35
haardiksharma wrote:

The original sentence is correct as it is- it can sound awkward when you are reading the sentence clause by clause- but sometimes when you read the whole sentence quickly or in one clean swift then it makes a lot more sense.

A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 00:11
Good one, I like how the pronouns are played with:

My first reaction was what 'same Elizabeth'? So I guess I will have to pick the best of the lot

A During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels. Keep - overall it makes sense. It generally feels its been taken from a paragraph or sentence which had an antecedence to it
B Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.Is she still in prison? (Past perfect usage not needed)
C Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself. Nope, the throne was not imprisoned. A 'same Elizabeth was'.
D During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels. Awkward description of events - the imprisoning should follow Elizabeth not the throne ascension
E Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.Again,the throne was not imprisoned:)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 05:06
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma ,

I do undestand why all other options are incorrect, but I have one basic doubt. Isn't "During the reign of Mary I of England" supposed to make sense with the subject :Elizebeth??

I am unsure how Elizebeth is during the reign...

Please please assist!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 03:50
haardiksharma wrote:

i
I want to say something about choice B.
having been shows that the imprision happen before "will accede". bu having been is during a reign which is in the past. so imprision must be in the past and must be hapeen before will accede. this is not clear. it is redundant. having done is used to show time and during is used to show time. this is redundant and comflicting.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 20:45
SajjitaKundu The initial modifier here is an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier. In this case, that means it modifies the entire action that follows (Elizabeth was imprisoned), not just the adjoining noun (Elizabeth).

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 07:03
The initial participles “imprisoned” in (C) and (E) both incorrectly modify “the throne.” (B) and (D) contain verb tense errors. “Will later accede” incorrectly describes Elizabeth from the perspective of the present, implying that Elizabeth will become queen sometime in the 21st century (or later). (A) correctly employs “would” to introduce an event (accession to the throne) that happened in the past relative to our present moment, but in the future relative to the event (Elizabeth’s imprisonment) that is under discussion.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 11:00
haardiksharma wrote:

(A) During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

(B) Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.

(C) Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself.

(D) During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

(E) Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.

Veritas Prep OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The initial participles “imprisoned” in (C) and (E) both incorrectly modify “the throne.” (B) and (D) contain verb tense errors. “Will later accede” incorrectly describes Elizabeth from the perspective of the present, implying that Elizabeth will become queen sometime in the 21st century (or later). (A) correctly employs “would” to introduce an event (accession to the throne) that happened in the past relative to our present moment, but in the future relative to the event (Elizabeth’s imprisonment) that is under discussion.

Correct Answer: (A)

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 13:56
haardiksharma wrote:

POE:

A) Correct
B) usage of "will" is wrong. This is future tense and indicates something into the future. Would works better
C) Modifier error, the throne was not imprisoned
D) Same as B
E) Same as C
GMAT Club Bot
Re: During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2018, 13:56

During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap