Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [10]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [1]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: Each circle in the diagram represents a type of subatomic particle in [#permalink]
Kudos
(1) The force that affects quarks but not leptons is the __________ force.

As shown in diagram, Quarks is connected with Photon, W , Z and Gluon, but Lepton is connected with only Photon, W and Z
but as given in statement
Photons carry the electromagnetic force;
W and Z bosons carry the weak nuclear force;
and gluons carry the strong nuclear force

as only difference in quarks and leptons is connection with gluons, which carry strong nuclear force, so the answer is
A. strong nuclear
B. weak nuclear
C. electromagnetic
D. gravitational

(2) A boson that cannot carry a force between other bosons of precisely the same type is a __________ .

A boson that carry a force between other bosons of precisely the same type is connected by a close blue line with itself, and all other are A boson that cannot carry a force between other bosons of precisely the same type
W, Gluons and Higgs is connected with itself by closed blue lines, while Photon and Z are not, so either photon or Z should be the answer
A. W boson
B. Z boson
C. gluon
D. Higgs boson
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32915 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Each circle in the diagram represents a type of subatomic particle in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Statement 1: strong nuclear. You are told that bosons carry particular forces, and that the blue lines show what interactions are possible. You are asked to identify the force that affects quarks but not leptons. Since the bosons correspond to forces, you can rephrase the problem: what boson “touches” quarks but not leptons via a blue line?

Following the blue lines, you can see that the only boson that touches quarks but not leptons is the gluon. The notes indicate that the gluon carries the strong nuclear force.

Statement 2: Z boson. Some bosons have a loop back to themselves, indicating that they can interact with other particles of precisely the same type. Which bosons do not have a loop back to themselves? Only two: photons and Z bosons, either of which would be possible answers.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11178 posts