Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: ESR Analysis | Failed my 2nd attempt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Rohity.

What's likely going on is that the resources you have been using to prepare have prepared you for the official practice tests rather than for the real GMAT. Such an outcome often occurs when preparation resources teach to the practice tests or use questions that are based on the questions in the official practice tests. Of course, when you prepare with such resources, you score high on the official practice tests and then not as high on the real GMAT.

So, probably, to achieve your GMAT score goal, you need to keep practicing, using mainly questions outside the resources you have used so far to prepare, so that you get practice answering questions that are different from the ones on the official practice tests.

Regarding your next GMAT, you should probably hold off on taking the GMAT again until you are consistently getting close to 100 percent of easy, 90 percent of medium, and 70 percent of hard verbal practice questions correct.

For some additional insights into how to increase your verbal score, see these posts.

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Three Key Practice Tips for Mastering GMAT Verbal
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30803 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
ESR Analysis | Failed my 2nd attempt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rohity - let us figure out whether you underperformed or performed at par.

1. What do your Scholaranium stats say? What are your Last 20 Easy, Medium, and Hard accuracies?
2. Did you A) finish cementing successfully and B) do test readiness?
3. What did the support team say about your preparation?

-Rajat
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rohity,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rohity wrote:
Hi Experts,

I took my first GMAT in-person attempt on 1st-week Jun'22 and received a score of 580 (Q46, V24) which I wasn't happy about and therefore I canceled it.

After rigorously studying for another 2-months , and getting a score in the range of 640-650 in all the 5 GMAT official mocks , i gave my second attempt on 31st July'22 and scored yet again a 580 (Q44 , V26) . This made me really devastated and i am really confused now on what went wrong as in all my prior official mocks a scored in my desired range.

Today i got my ESR , and am really confused on how to proceed further. i am planning to give my last attempt within 3 weeks and my desired score is 650. [PS i am not able to upload my ESR in the attachment , i can mail the same if you can share the mail ID, thanks
Request experts to kindly analyze my ESR report , attached , and guide on how can i proceed and is it possible for me to get a score of 650 within 3 weeks.
My official mocks.
Official Mock 1 - 640 (Q48,V29) [Repeat]
Mock 2 - 650 (Q49 , V30) [Repeat]
Mock 3 - 640 (Q48 , V29)
Mock 4 - 640 (Q48 , V29)
Mock 5 650 (Q45 , V35)

Hi Rohity

Sorry to hear about how things went with your GMAT. There could be a couple of reasons for the drop in the score. Please go through the article below to find out the probable reasons.

Scored well on mocks but failed miserably on the test?

The key to scoring well on GMAT is to focusing on the right aspects. If your score doesn't improve even after months of prep, then that means that there must be something wrong with the preparation strategy.

Having said that, it would be too early to conclude anything without knowing the actual reason. To understand what could have led to the drop in the score and to suggest you the plan of action, I need a little more information about your GMAT preparation. I would like to know more about

• the way you prepared till now (your study strategy)
  • your approach of solving questions
  • your weak areas

Answers to these questions will help me guide you in a better way. And I personally suggest to go for the retake only after you prepared well and are 100% confident. It’s always better to spare some more time on your preparation until you are ready instead of missing out on your dream colleges/ b-schools in hurry.

Having said that, I would like to have a one-on-one conversation with you. The discussion would be mostly around the answers to the above questions, the approximate time you have for the next attempt and the plan of action. Since you have an ESR with you, that will be even more helpful to get the insights about your performance. You use use the link below to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
PS i am not able to upload my ESR in the attachment

There's a minimum post requirement to upload attachments.

Official Mock 1 - 640 (Q48,V29) [Repeat]
Mock 2 - 650 (Q49 , V30) [Repeat]
Mock 3 - 640 (Q48 , V29)
Mock 4 - 640 (Q48 , V29)
Mock 5 650 (Q45 , V35)

Have suggested Manhattan-Prep's 6th Edition for SC and CR to students. If you haven't already, you may find memorizing idioms helpful for Sentence Correction (there's a downloadable list on the GMAT Knight blog).
GMAT Club Bot