GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 May 2019, 04:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Executive MBA, Wharton v.s. MIT Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which Executive MBA program

• 80% [17]
  • 19% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Executive MBA, Wharton v.s. MIT Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 10:01
I am choosing Executive MBA program from Wharton and Sloan. Both are great programs, but they are sort of Apple and Orange to me. I listed differences below.

Time requirement:
Wharton EMBA is THE undiluted MBA program. The amount of coursework at Wharton EMBA is very similar to FTMBA. Students attend weekend classes every other weeks, and spend 20-25 hours outside the class.
MIT Sloan EMBA students usually spend 10-20 hours every week, and they attend weekend class once every three weeks.

Curriculum
Wharton offers half of the classes as electives. Students can choose electives from 200 classes (although they narrow down to 30 classes after voting) in their 2nd year.
Most of the courses at Sloan are core courses, and students can take up to 4 electives from a limited electives.

Program strength
Wharton is known for Finance, but also good at almost all other fields.
Sloan EMBA is focused on general management, but MIT is really good at Tech and Entrepreneurship.

Community
Wharton is Wharton. Wharton school is kind of separated from UPenn community.
Sloan is MIT Sloan. Sloan students have access to MIT campus and participate in the community activities.

Student profile
Students at Wharton EMBA are younger, averaging 35 years old with 11 years WE. Students are more diversified by industry, and more motivated to learn new knowledge.
Students at MIT EMBA are more senior, some of them are C-suite officers at big firms, averaging 39 years old with 19 years WE. More students in Healthcare sector.

About me
- mid-thirty
- tech/finance background
- manager in a startup finance company
- looking to grow the finance business in current firm after EMBA program

I like Wharton for it's undiluted MBA experience, electives and more prestige brand. MIT was my dream school in the technology world, but I have a strong tech background and working in business now. Wharton can probably diversity my skills. Which school would you choose? Thank you.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Executive MBA, Wharton v.s. MIT Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 13:51
Good question and a good dilemma to have. Congratulations on your 2 great offers!

Do you know the size of Sloan EMBA? I have not been able to find the info on US News where for some reason Sloan EMBA is ranked #15 and Wharton as #2.... rankings of course don't always work but that big of a difference may indicate lack of attention from Sloan towards its EMBA program or perhaps a small size?

Assuming everything else equal (location, cost, etc) and only judging by the 2 programs, I feel Wharton would be a much more recognizable brand in the Finance world anywhere. You are definitely throwing your hat into a strong contender pool for the CFO job by going to Wharton and making your intentions clear. Also Wharton has a significantly greater variety of many Executive education courses (that they love to fill my mailbox with; between Wharton and Haas I can start a small recycling company). The Negotiation program at Wharton is quite well-known. While based on your demographics, you may be a better fit at Wharton, it is really hard to predict - sometimes a diverse but a small group will be much more close-knit than a large homogeneous one. I don't think you should make a decision based on age and demographics as too many variables in play.

While I have countless fantastic things to say about Sloan FT MBA program, I am not sure I can transpose that to their EMBA as I simply don't know much about it and the info out there is not really easily accessible.

That would be my choice if i were in your shoes and those were the parameters for the decision.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Executive MBA, Wharton v.s. MIT Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 00:54
Congrats for the admit :-D

Your decision is has faces. Both of them have benefits to you.

Wharton is finance school. The idea of selecting you electives is more appealing because in EMBA you want to advance in the same field. Certainly, Wharton has more electives
So probability to choose more divers electives is higher than Sloan. Being with same age in Wharton mean taking the same language.

However, Sloan has its advantages also. You can think in it how being among senior people, C-suite will benefit you. If you can find the right approach, you can benefit from their experiences in life. Also, How is it great to network with them because they are probably decision maker or close or decision makers in their organizations. This could help you if you want one day to leave to another big corp in finance position. Think about prompt you current company to work with them, or even you want to launch your stat-up business.

I wish you success :gl
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 07:20
Thanks all for your input. Answering bb's question, Sloan EMBA is relatively new. It didn't graduate its first EMBA class until 2012. That's why it's ranked at #15 by US news and not even ranked by other agencies. I believe it's fair ranking will be #5 to #8 when it's mature. IMO, Sloan EMBA curriculum is very different to Sloan FTMBA. Sloan EMBA doesn't offer as many electives as FTMBA, and it's class days is relatively fewer than Wharton (99 days v.s. 120+ days).
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 11:53
imbilly wrote:
Thanks all for your input. Answering bb's question, Sloan EMBA is relatively new. It didn't graduate its first EMBA class until 2012. That's why it's ranked at #15 by US news and not even ranked by other agencies. I believe it's fair ranking will be #5 to #8 when it's mature. IMO, Sloan EMBA curriculum is very different to Sloan FTMBA. Sloan EMBA doesn't offer as many electives as FTMBA, and it's class days is relatively fewer than Wharton (99 days v.s. 120+ days).

I would concur with your assessment of their eventual rankings... that does explain why I could not find much info... and as a rule the EMBA reputation is usually defined by the FT program; not the other way around, so your position, ranking, ROI is pretty safe from that standpoint.

As to the class days, it may be a different teaching approach/method - more of group work and discussion between the classes vs. more class-focused approach. Something to research perhaps.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 20:04
May I ask which one you chose
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 20:04
May I ask which one you chose
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Executive MBA, Wharton v.s. MIT Sloan   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2017, 20:04

Executive MBA, Wharton v.s. MIT Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap