GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Firmly in the 600s to a 720. For what it's worth:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.99
Reviews Badge
Firmly in the 600s to a 720. For what it's worth:  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2020, 11:26
I walked out with a 720 (Q47 V42). I'm generally a lurker and this forum has been very helpful, so here's the crux of how I turned it around.

TL;DR

Native English speaker who thought he was "good" at math but realized that the GMAT isn't about that — it's about quantitative reasoning, which is what the section is labeled ??‍♂

The potent mix for quant was Target Test Prep and reviewing mock exams with gmatclub

For verbal, OG Practice Problems (online) and GMAT Ninja Videos

For what it's worth:

Using only the Manhattan books with what I now realize was casual studying, I got a 680 (Q39 V44) with what you can see is a poor quant score. I ran out of time on quant and was penalized. I thought the GMAT would be relatively simple compared to the CFA, but really it's apples and oranges. It's tempting to white knuckle your way through the quant with tons of algebra and without a calculator, but for most problems, that's just not how it works. I took the test again a few weeks later but there was no improvement. Clearly I needed help with math.

I discovered Target Test Prep through this sub, and I'm happy to endorse the work that Scott, Jeff and the rest of their team have done with the platform. Rather than piecing my way through books, it was much more effective to use an integrated, online interface where you could learn the content and do practice problems. Everyone will advise that you track your progress and keep an error log, and TTP basically does this for you. If you're limited on time, I think you'll see a solid improvement with just the easy/medium problems. I will say, though, that having drilled their hard problems, I consistently got Q48/Q49 in my mocks. The math felt relatively simple — at that point, my inefficiencies were more about test-taking skills and falling for the GMAT's tricks rather than a gap in knowledge.

As for verbal, I think Manhattan will give a great base. However, I'm a native English speaker with relatively decent language skills, so I'm not sure I got more of an advantage from Manhattan than I would have from just going through the OG books. Once I finished TTP and went into mock exam mode, I ran through practice problems in the OG's online question bank. Here I'll give a plug for GMAT Ninja. I found Charles Bibilos's youtube videos very helpful — not only for how to avoid tricks on verbal, but also for test-taking strategy in general.

My last piece of advice is to embrace gmatclub if you're on a tight budget, and to do so regardless during mock exams, because you'll find solutions posted to problems you get wrong. When I started out, gmatclub felt a little busy, and I wasn't in the mood to navigate forums. But I think if you commit to familiarizing yourself with everything that's offered (especially from Bunuel), you could accomplish a lot on a budget.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my two cents. Best of luck to everyone.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: Firmly in the 600s to a 720. For what it's worth:  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2020, 20:13
gmatinquirer - Congratulations on getting a 720 on the GMAT and thank you for sharing your debrief. Realizing very well that you have signed up just today, I would request you to take a few moments to get your score verified in the forum. All the best for the applications.

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Intern
Intern
G
GPA: 3.9
Congrats for your nice score and all the best for your application. Wh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jan 2020, 09:15
Congrats for your nice score and all the best for your application.
What was your official mock score (with split)?
Did you use any materials for quant apart from TTP?
Did you specify what topic(s) of bunuel that boost your quant score?
Did you use any on-demand product (or something like that) for verbal prep?

Originally posted by naju on 21 Jan 2020, 06:47.
Last edited by naju on 21 Jan 2020, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 07:04
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
gmatinquirer - Congratulations on getting a 720 on the GMAT and thank you for sharing your debrief. Realizing very well that you have signed up just today, I would request you to take a few moments to get your score verified in the forum. All the best for the applications.

Hi I was about to say the same.
Stories so inspiring should definitely verify their GMAT Scores so that we can differentiate the good stories from Great one

I have a complete series of GMAT Experiences and B-school research that I will research over and over again to get an output of the research.
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 07:14
gmatinquirer, welcome to the 720 club. Congrats for your big improvement. Wish you all the best for your next journey of study

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 15:24
Hi gmatinquirer,

Great job!! I’m thrilled that TTP was able to help you improve your GMAT quant score! Good luck with things moving forward.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Firmly in the 600s to a 720. For what it's worth:   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2020, 15:24

Firmly in the 600s to a 720. For what it's worth:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics