Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are official [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Manat wrote:
Hi GMATNinja is it okay to reject E, because 'it' has no clear referent?

In general, you want to try to avoid eliminating an answer choice solely because a pronoun is ambiguous, since pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule. (More on that in this video.) But if a pronoun has no logical referent at all, then you can eliminate that answer choice with confidence.

Take another look at (E): "For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters." First, "it" seems to refer to the noun phrase "half the population." If we substitute the referent in place of the pronoun, we get the notion that half the population is down from what half the population was a decade ago. That makes no sense.

Even worse, if we argue that "it" refers to the "population," the meaning seems to be that the non-Hispanic white population was reduced by three-quarters. The author isn't saying that 75% of the white population was wiped out! Rather, we want to communicate the idea that the fraction of the population comprised by non-Hispanic Whites went from three quarters to a little less than a half, as (D) suggests.

Takeaway: it's not necessarily a crime to have an ambiguous pronoun, but there has to be something the pronoun can logically refer to. If there isn't, we can confidently eliminate the option in question.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are official [#permalink]
I do not agree that in choice A, "which" modifies "california" and so, is wrong. in many og question, 'which" can jump over a noun modifier to modify a far noun. so, "which' can jump over "in california" to modify "minority". this is good

why is choice A wrong? pls help
thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Kudos
thangvietnam

To your question regarding if "in california" is adjectevial or adverbial preposition.

I believe since "in california" is adverbial preposition, it can jump over.

I understand your question regarding that it can also be adjectivial prepositon.

Here is an example:
Ex 1 - The book on the table is well regarded
Here "on the table" is adjective because it is that specific book we are talking about

Ex2 - The book is on the table
Here "on the table" is adverbial phrase. It describes "where" the book is currently

Now into the question.

Ex1 - Non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California
Here I would argue "in california" is adverbial phrase because moving "in california" to the beggining of the sentence won't change the meaning

Ex2 - Non-Hispanic Whites in California went to the store.
Here "in california" specifically needs to modify non-hispanic whites so it is adjective prepositional phrase. Moving "in california" further away from the noun changes the meaning.

Please let me know if I am wrong. I am learning about how modifiers can jump over prepositional phrases
Director
Director
Send PM
pls, permit me posting one time more.
back to why choice a is wrong.

"a" is a indefinite article. this kind of article show two things
the first thing is "any noun of the kind". for example, a dog barks.
the second thing is "a certain noun of the kind". for example, a dog is barking at the door.

so, choice a can be one of the 2 possibilites and, is

any minority in california, which amount to less than half of the population.

this is absurd . choice a is wrong.

a second point i want to make.

we see that on many sc problems, gmat change adverbial relation, as that in choice d, into non defining adjectival relation, as that in choice a.
adverbial relation is normally right because 2 ideas are in adverbial relation, one action modifying another.

non defining adjectival relation is normally wrong because one idea become non defining adjectival. the meaning of the sentence with adjectival phrase is not as full as that of sentence with adverbial phrase.

am i right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
Concentration: Economics, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V29
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
akashgupta wrote:
Guys,

There is nothing called wordy in SC. These are all misleading statements.

We all know why we dont choose A B or C. Between D and E. We choose D because E changes the meaning of the sentence. If you look closely, E says it has come down by three quarters where as it should be down from nearly three quarters since it has been compared to one half.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Akash

Great points!! Questions like these mostly come down to 2-3 answers and then narrowing down from the remaining options in the fastest way helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are official [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
nishatfarhat87 wrote:
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago

B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters

C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters

D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago

E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters

Please confirm if my analysis of other options is correct:
a and b. As you mentioned because A and B have which and it modifies California therefore it is incorrect. Also, in B the phrase down from a decade ago changes the meaning hence incorrect.
c. 2 errors. It removes the causality and places them as 2 diffrent clauses giving equal weightage. Also, similarly the phrase down from a decade ago changes the meaning
e. down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters. Here it has no antecedent. This is wordy and unclear.

Please confirm if I am right.

Hi Nishat,

Yes, for most part, your analysis is correct. In choice C, usage of that is incorrect as that cannot refer to a clause. So I would not say that this choice removes the causality. I would say that this choice presents the causality in an ungrammatical manner.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

EGMAT
Could you please let me know why option 'E amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters' is incorrect.
Is it because its wordier than option D or does it change the meaning? In case it is changing the meaning, then how is it doing so?

I get the issue with option E, it changes the intended meaning.
According to the sentence: For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago.

We can infer the population of non-Hispanic Whites is now less than 50% of the population of California whereas it used to be 75% of the population a decade.
Option D: amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago keeps the meaning intact whereas

Option E : amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters distorts the meaning, as now it means that the population has decreased by 75% of what it used to be a decade ago. This is not the intended meaning of the original sentence.

Hence, we can reject option E and continue with option D.
Please let me know if my understanding is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
suyashjhawar wrote:
A and b are wrong because a comma before which indiacates it is referring to the antecedent which is california here whereas not referring to the non-hispanic whites so teh usage of which is wrong here.D on the other hand,is precise and to the point.

Hi, thanks for pointing that out. I marked answer A because I thought 'which' acts as a relative pronoun here. Just a quick question. In case there was no comma before 'which' would it make option A correct? As it is correctly referring to 'non-Hispanic whites' and not 'California'.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
(1) which clause changes the meaning: we want to modify “non-Hispanic Whites,” but this just modifies directly the minority/California portion – TY VeritasPrepErika

B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
(1) which clause changes the meaning: we want to modify “non-Hispanic Whites,” but this just modifies directly the minority/California portion
(2) comparison error: “down from [a decade ago]” it’s not down from a decade ago, it’s down from ¾ (a decade ago)

C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
(1) changes meaning: “…they were nearly three-quarters.”; the population wasn’t literally three quarters
(2) “that” is used incorrectly – “that” cannot refer to a clause (“…that [amounts to a little less than half] clause)

D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago
best option

E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters
(1) changes meaning: “down…by nearly three-quarters” means it dropped by 75%. The intended meaning is that it dropped FROM ¾ TO (a little than) ½
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Manat wrote:
Hi GMATNinja is it okay to reject E, because 'it' has no clear referent?

In general, you want to try to avoid eliminating an answer choice solely because a pronoun is ambiguous, since pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule. (More on that in this video.) But if a pronoun has no logical referent at all, then you can eliminate that answer choice with confidence.

Take another look at (E): "For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters." First, "it" seems to refer to the noun phrase "half the population." If we substitute the referent in place of the pronoun, we get the notion that half the population is down from what half the population was a decade ago. That makes no sense.

Even worse, if we argue that "it" refers to the "population," the meaning seems to be that the non-Hispanic white population was reduced by three-quarters. The author isn't saying that 75% of the white population was wiped out! Rather, we want to communicate the idea that the fraction of the population comprised by non-Hispanic Whites went from three quarters to a little less than a half, as (D) suggests.

Takeaway: it's not necessarily a crime to have an ambiguous pronoun, but there has to be something the pronoun can logically refer to. If there isn't, we can confidently eliminate the option in question.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja

I have doubt regarding A. Is "only" used correctly in the sentence?
Can you please explain difference between "only a decade ago" and " a decade ago".

(A) which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Sorry, i can not differ D ((down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago)) from E ((down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters)).
Do these two sentences differ in meaning? Can someone help please

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
VeritasPrepErika wrote:
Some good points are being made in this thread about how modifiers can describe either nouns or noun phrases. The most common application of this on the GMAT is with prepositional phrases and noun-specific modifiers:

noun + prepositional phrase (preposition + noun) + relative clause/appositive

We normally think of relative clauses ("wh-" and "that) and appositives (noun phrases) as modifying the closest noun, but they can also modify an entire noun phrase. In other words, they can describe the noun from the prepositional phrase OR the noun the prepositional phrase describes.

There's a lot of discussion going on about whether or not "a minority in California" is a noun phrase, and whether or not the relative clause in A and B can describe "a minority" as well as California. However, it doesn't matter for this problem. Do we want to say that "a minority" is a little less than 1/2 the population of the state, but it used to be 3/4 the population of the state? That doesn't make sense — how could "a minority" have been 3/4 the population of the state? That's the opposite of what minority means! So the relative clause shouldn't describe either "California" or "a minority".

To make this sentence logical, we want to say that "non-Hispanic whites" make up a little less than 1/2 the population of the state, but used to make up 3/4 the population of the state. "Non-Hispanic whites" are separated from the relative clause by a verb "are), so there's no way they're part of a noun phrase the relative clause could modify. In fact, "Non-Hispanic whites" is the subject of the sentence. Thus, we don't want a relative clause — we want a participial phrase ("-ing" or -"ed") because it can modify the subject of the sentence.

It's important to know the subtleties of modifier rules, but it's just as important to think about meaning. Be sure to figure out what you think the sentence should say before getting too lost in the weeds of complicated grammatical issues.

good explanation. thank you. this is proper explanation of why choice A is wrong. great.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
I had a verbal 41 and this question appeared. I think it is not sub 600
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

(A) which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago -> Which modifies California, which is not the intended meaning. Incorrect.

(B) which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters -> Same as A.

(C) and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters -> Why do we use "and", there is no parallelism pointers. Incorrect.

(D) amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago -> There is no error introduced. Let's keep it.

(E) amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters -> "it" refers to whom. if I rephrase it, then "down from what half the population was a decade ago by nearly "...Doesn't make sense.

So, I think D. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are official [#permalink]
A. ,which modifies California
B. Same error as A
C. Wrong usage of conjunction AND + that refers to what Minority/ModernEra/California ?
D. Correct
E. it pronoun ambiguity (population/state), and too wordy

Send PM
VeritasPrepErika wrote:
Some good points are being made in this thread about how modifiers can describe either nouns or noun phrases. The most common application of this on the GMAT is with prepositional phrases and noun-specific modifiers:

noun + prepositional phrase (preposition + noun) + relative clause/appositive

We normally think of relative clauses ("wh-" and "that) and appositives (noun phrases) as modifying the closest noun, but they can also modify an entire noun phrase. In other words, they can describe the noun from the prepositional phrase OR the noun the prepositional phrase describes.

There's a lot of discussion going on about whether or not "a minority in California" is a noun phrase, and whether or not the relative clause in A and B can describe "a minority" as well as California. However, it doesn't matter for this problem. Do we want to say that "a minority" is a little less than 1/2 the population of the state, but it used to be 3/4 the population of the state? That doesn't make sense — how could "a minority" have been 3/4 the population of the state? That's the opposite of what minority means! So the relative clause shouldn't describe either "California" or "a minority".

To make this sentence logical, we want to say that "non-Hispanic whites" make up a little less than 1/2 the population of the state, but used to make up 3/4 the population of the state. "Non-Hispanic whites" are separated from the relative clause by a verb "are), so there's no way they're part of a noun phrase the relative clause could modify. In fact, "Non-Hispanic whites" is the subject of the sentence. Thus, we don't want a relative clause — we want a participial phrase ("-ing" or -"ed") because it can modify the subject of the sentence.

It's important to know the subtleties of modifier rules, but it's just as important to think about meaning. Be sure to figure out what you think the sentence should say before getting too lost in the weeds of complicated grammatical issues.

great explanation on choice a.

"which amounts to" refer to "minority" correctly. but "down from 3/4" also refer to "minority" and this means this minority used to be 3/4 population. this is absurd.
this meaning error is hard. and this problem is hard. thank expert.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: ISB '23
Send PM
Hi GMAT Club,

One small query.

As per my understanding, "," + -ing modifer can modify the action/ verb only if the doer of both the main verb and the -ing action verb is same. However, in this case it is not the same.

Can you please help me understand the gap in my understanding ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Himaanshu007 wrote:
As per my understanding, "," + -ing modifer can modify the action/ verb only if the doer of both the main verb and the -ing action verb is same. However, in this case it is not the same.

Doer of both "main verb (are) and the -ing action verb (amounting)" is "non-Hispanic Whites" here. Isn't it Himaanshu?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts