GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Oct 2018, 22:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (00:51) correct 51% (00:49) wrong based on 207 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and committed thousands of musicians to film, catching the magical and the mundane in order to keep from being forgotten.

A. keep from being forgotten.
B. keep them from being forgotten.
C. avoid being forgotten.
D. avoid them from being forgotten.
E. avoid from their forgetting.

Originally posted by parijit on 08 Sep 2018, 02:43.
Last edited by generis on 05 Oct 2018, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected the OA
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Imperial '21
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 05:16
(B) is the correct answer.

Going to take the real test in November...

21.07.2018 OG gmat prep 400 (Q26,V20)
28.07.2018 OG gmat prep 550 (Q42,V23)
04.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q50,V31)
12.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q49, V33)

OG GMAT Exam 3 & 4
01.11.2018 Exam 3 GMAT 710 (Q50, V35)
03.11.2018 Exam 4 GMAT 710 (Q50, V35)

Intern
Intern
S
Re: For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:09
We want to avoid a mistake rather than keep a mistake.
D sounds better.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Imperial '21
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:29
parijit wrote:
We want to avoid a mistake rather than keep a mistake.
D sounds better.

Excuse me?
What kind of a mistake are you, actually, talking about?
Had you clarified your way of thinking and shown the link between the question you had asked and your answer, I wouldn't have asked such daft questions.
Would you be so kind to explain your answer choice further, in a brief and concise manner? Thank you.

Going to take the real test in November...

21.07.2018 OG gmat prep 400 (Q26,V20)
28.07.2018 OG gmat prep 550 (Q42,V23)
04.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q50,V31)
12.08.2018 MGMAT 680 (Q49, V33)

OG GMAT Exam 3 & 4
01.11.2018 Exam 3 GMAT 710 (Q50, V35)
03.11.2018 Exam 4 GMAT 710 (Q50, V35)

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:38
'Being forgotten' is the analogy for mistake.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.97

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 04:42
parijit wrote:
'Being forgotten is the analogy for the mistake.

What is the source of this question?
In order to keep them from being forgotten, I assume means to protect them.
Can you please provide further explanation for this question?

Please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions and help the community grow

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 00:39
Experts could you comment on this post.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 06:30
experts kindly let us know why D
@mikemcgarry- sorry for tagging
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 22:14
parijit wrote:
For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and committed thousands of musicians to film, catching the magical and the mundane in order to keep from being forgotten.

A. keep from being forgotten.
C. avoid being forgotten.

parijit , Kaczet , globaldesi , and Muskan01

I am not Mike McGarry, obviously.

I am sorry that we moderators and I in particular missed these queries.

Let's dial the discussion down a bit. I understand that SC can seem really daunting. Feel free to tag me if you are waiting for an answer. If tagging does not seem to be working, send me a PM.

parijit , would you please include the source?

I will address options B and D in this post. I will follow with another post that analyzes all options quickly.

Overall impression

"Keep from" and "prevent" are synonyms.

The avoid/prevent distinction is not an idiom. In this and a similar official question, the wrong verb can be eliminated because the options contain other errors.

Waterman wanted the "magical and the mundane [moments in musicians' lives]" to be remembered. OR: Waterman wanted musicians to be remembered.

Waterman took pictures because he wanted to prevent the musicians from being forgotten.

(With my writer and editor hat on, I would insist that "them" in B refers to "the magical and the mundane," a reference that is absolutely fine because it implies "the magical and the mundane [moments in musicians' lives]."
With my SC GMAT hat on, I will say that whether "them" refers to musicians or moments in their lives, the meaning of the sentence is clear.)

Analysis
"To keep from" is a phrasal verb that means to prevent.

Let's insert options B and D into the sentence:

(B) For three decades, Waterman carried a camera and committed thousands of musicians to film, catching the magical and the mundane in order to keep them from being forgotten.

(D) For three decades, Waterman carried a camera and committed thousands of musicians to film, catching the magical and the mundane in order to avoid them from being forgotten.

Option D: errors in grammar and meaning

The phrase avoid them from being forgotten is ungrammatical and nonsensical.

(1) Verb misconstruction. Do NOT use "avoid" with "from"

Avoid is never followed by from in this construction: avoid ___ being forgotten

Avoid can be followed by
• a gerund: They avoid swimming.
• a gerund phrase: They avoid swimming in polluted water.
• a noun: He avoids conflict.
• a pronoun: Poison ivy plants cause itching; try to avoid them.

"Avoid from" is wrong. Options D and E incorrectly imply that avoid from is a phrasal verb or that avoid is a verb that can take the preposition "from."

Avoid from is not a phrasal verb. Avoid from does not exist as a verb or verbal of any sort. Avoid is not like keep from.

Correct: He closed the window to keep the rain from ruining the curtains.
WRONG: He closed the window to avoid the rain from ruining the curtains.

Avoid does not take the preposition "from."Prevent is a verb that DOES take the preposition from.

Correct: The Washington, D.C.-Moscow hotline prevents disputes from escalating.
WRONG: The Washington, D.C.-Moscow hotline avoids disputes from escalating.

"Avoid from" is incorrect 99% of the time, and incorrect 100% of the time if avoid is the verb.

(2) The meaning in D is garbled. To avoid them means to stay away from them.

To "avoid them" means to stay away from whomever "them" may be: bullies, angry wasps, demons, xenophobic authoritarians.
Waterman took pictures, but not because he was avoiding musicians.

Avoid them from has no meaning.

Examples of the usage of keep from, prevent, avoid

Correct: Please put oil in the cars to keep them from breaking down.
Correct: Please put oil in the cars to prevent them from breaking down.
Correct (though awkward): Please put oil in the cars to avoid their breaking down.
Correct (not awkward): Please put oil in the cars to avoid breakdowns.
NEVER: Please put oil in the cars to avoid them from breaking down.

Official question resemblance

If you are not a native speaker and picked (D), try not to worry and please see the footnote below.* If you are a native speaker who picked (D), I think you must have misread the option. :-)

Avoid, prevent from, and keep from are tested in this Official GMAC question, but you do not need to know
that "prevent" is more effective than "avoid" in that sentence. Answer C, which contains "avoid," is incorrect because C is missing a pronoun.

The sentence in this question is taken from this article in Smithsonian magazine. The prose is a good example high-level writing. HINT :) Dick Waterman is fascinating.

In an indirect way ("keep from" is a synonym of "prevent"), this question tests the idiom Prevent X from Y (prevent the musicians from being forgotten).

Finally, do not worry too much about non-official questions. We know now that avoid is not coupled with from.

I hope that helps.

*Many non-native speakers have been trained in British English. I briefly surveyed the common usage of avoid in British English. "Avoid" seems to stand in for "prevent" frequently in common parlance and journalism. U.S. English is different. Avoid stands in for prevent quite rarely, and compared to British English, very rarely.
You probably do not need to understand the subtle semantic differences between avoid and prevent (or "keep from") that are created by context. If you have been trained in British English, however, you may need to be careful. Do not automatically select "avoid" over "keep from" or "prevent" because you have read or heard "avoid" more often.
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 22:29
parijit wrote:

A. keep [THEM] from being forgotten. (The option needs the word "THEM.")
This option makes it sound as if the photographer, Waterman, wants to prevent himself from being forgotten.

C. avoid [THEIR] being forgotten.(The option needs the word "THEIR.")
Same problem as (A)

Discussed in my previous post.

"avoid from" is not correct
"the musical and the mundane" seem to be the referent for the possessive "their" -- but those two inanimate nouns cannot themselves forget
"forgetting" is too active. We need to convey the idea of being forgotten by others.

The answer is B.

English does not use "avoid from." Ever.

As I said in my previous post, take a look at this very similar OFFICIAL question.
GMAT Club Bot
For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 22:29

For three decades, Waterman carried a Leica or Nikon camera and commit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap