GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 22:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1219
Reviews Badge
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jul 2018, 22:05
2
17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:18) correct 39% (01:23) wrong based on 751 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.

(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.

(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.

(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

I spent 5 minutes on this question and finally got it right. Is there a quicker way to solve this beast?

In A, the they after because is ambiguous; it seems illogically to refer to Formulas because they and Formulas are each the grammatical subject of a clause and because the previous they refers to Formulas. In A and B, do not apply to… in the same way s they do to is wordy and awkward. D, the best choice, says more concisely in the same way as to. Also in B, because they refers to formulas, the introductory clause states confusedly that the formulas are growing. In C and E, subject to the [same] applicability of... is wordy, awkward, and imprecise; furthermore, are is preferable to either before or after established big businesses to complete the comparison. Finally, the referent of they is not immediately clear in E.
Attachment:
CR 32.jpg
CR 32.jpg [ 86.49 KiB | Viewed 720 times ]

Originally posted by goalsnr on 24 Feb 2008, 16:26.
Last edited by hazelnut on 22 Jul 2018, 22:05, edited 5 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 13:30
3
3
The point about "are" is that C says that small businesses "are not subject to the same XYZ as big businesses." It would be helpful to provide an "are" to complete the comparison: "small businesses are not subject to the same XYZ as are big businesses."

In a simple sentence, we don't need this clarification:

I'm not as strong as you.

But in a sentence with even a slight bit more complexity, that verb can make a big difference. Compare these:

I'm more interested in economics than you.
I'm more interested in economics than you are.


We would probably figure out the intended meaning in the first case (especially if we consider ourselves more interesting than economics), but the second is clearer.

Now look at a sentence with a more involved second half:

The singer is less excited about the concert than the legions of fans seeking her autograph.

This sentence is truly ambiguous. Is she more excited about the fans than about the concert (notice my second "about" to make that clear), or are the fans more excited about the concert than she is? Let's rewrite to indicate the former meaning and then the latter:

The singer is less excited about the concert than about the legions of fans seeking her autograph.
The singer is less excited about the concert than are the legions of fans seeking her autograph.

Here, we put the "are" before that long noun phrase at the end just to make it easier to catch. We could technically put it at the end, but it would be less useful there--by the end, either you've interpreted the meaning correctly or you haven't, and so it's better to make the intended meaning clear sooner.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1472
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2008, 16:53
D.

Eliminated A and E because 'they' refers to big businesses, which is incorrect. Eliminated B due to modifier issue. Down to C and D, and eliminated C because 'applicability of formulas' seemed incorrect ... very wordy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 258
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2008, 03:21
1
I feel gunned down when I see full underlined questions. ( Hate the poster too :evil: , just kidding )

I took a bit long ... but not 5 mins ... so here is my POE.

As I read the first option , came along "they". (Manhattan SC says it is one of the deadly pronouns ).

No clear referent, checked other options for they or them.
Eliminate A,B(formulas are growing),E(no clear referent).

Between C and D, eliminate C for improper usage of AS.

Ans: D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 256
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2008, 07:08
1
i am confused between C and D.

the modifier is perfect in C.

in D, 'them' is ambiguous.

but i feel D is better..
confused.. whats the OA ?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1219
Reviews Badge
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2008, 19:44
Neochronic wrote:
i am confused between C and D.

the modifier is perfect in C.

in D, 'them' is ambiguous.

but i feel D is better..
confused.. whats the OA ?


In D, :"formulas" is the subject . "Small businesses" is the object.
->Them refers to "Small businesses"
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 557
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2008, 21:04
goalsnr wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
[u]
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.


Good job folks. The OA is D


In D , is it not possible that that "them" can refer back to formulas ? I see an referent problem
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 258
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2008, 22:37
If I replace with what you say,

Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.

Now,
Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas do not apply to formulas in the same way as to established big businesses.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2008, 04:41
i was contemplating between option C and D... however in c, the end of sentence should be " as established big businesses are "

In D, them does refer to businesses. hence correct answer is D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2011
Posts: 142
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2011, 20:45
fanatico wrote:
312. Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.


In A,B Structurally "they" refers to formulas which is wrong
In C and E applicability of formulas is wordy .....I think verb forms are always better than noun forms in GMAT..
Thus D.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 763
Reviews Badge
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2011, 21:36
Between C and D

In C - "they" refers to small businesses but comparison is wrong.

D remains.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 64
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2011, 21:45
Thank you...missed to notice the comparison problem in C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 243
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2011, 21:53
1
2
(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.:Subject of first clause is formulas- formaulas dont apply- so in the clause satrting with because- the subject 'they' stands for formula. Inappropriate, hence wrong.
(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.Same reason as above - formulas are the subject pointed to by 'they' in the because part of the sentence.Incorrect
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.Applicability sounds unidiomatic- also sentence seems to imply that formulas dont apply at all-while the implication should be that the formulas dont apply in the same way as to the big businesses
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.awckward and wordy construction, use of applicability- [/quote]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 317
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2015, 02:49
1
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

A. Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
B. Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.
C. Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.
D. Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.
E. New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

my doubt is in option D modifying phrase " because new businesses..." correctly modifies the following clause " formulas for cash.."
Is "them" refers to formulas.
please explain

Originally posted by TomB on 22 May 2012, 16:42.
Last edited by reto on 07 Jul 2015, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
proper format
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4542
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 20:45
Just to discuss the vexing pronoun reference of the them, if you have any doubt that them may refer to formulas, then just try to replace it with what you think might be correct.

(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom-in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow, and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to formulas in the same way as to establish big businesses.
Please ponder whether formulas will apply to formulas. New small businesses is the logical referent.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 163
Location: New Delhi, India
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 20:57
TomB wrote:
312. Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

my doubt is in option D modifying phrase " because new businesses..." correctly modifies the following clause " formulas for cash.."
Is "them" refers to formulas.
please explain

The same has already been discussed in the forum. Please refer to the below link:
formulas-for-cash-flow-and-the-ratio-of-debt-to-equity-do-60474.html
_________________

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 342
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2012, 00:54
My answer is D.
A and E are incorrect "they" can refer to small businesses or big businesses.
B is incorrect because of incorret usage of incorrect modifier "formulas".
C is incorrect because of term " same applicability of formulas"

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 386
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2012, 07:12
My 2 cents ..

The term - "because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium" is clearly referring to "small businesses" therefore it must be touching it. In the original sentence it can easily be confused with big businesses i.e. big businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

Therefore A is wrong ..

B - Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.

B is suggesting that the formulas for cash flow are growing and are seldom in equilibrium. This is clearly not what the sentence is trying to imply ... (common sense) ...

B is incorrect ..

C - Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.

Clearly the mistake which dogged the statement A and B has been rectified here .. So C can be shortlisted ...

D - Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.

The same mistake that dogged A and B is now corrected in D , therefore we can shortlist it as a potential correct answer.

E - New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

This passage again suggests that established big businesses are growing and seldom in equilibrium .. Therefore it is WRONG ..

We are down to 2 potentially correct choices C & D ...

Out of the two , I think that D delivers the message (that the author of the passage wants to deliver) better, and in a more simplistic form than C . There may well be a grammatical reason for why C is not correct but i have not been able to pin point it. I base my answer on simplicity and clarity..
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 25
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2012, 02:42
Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.



A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.

C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.---they refers to the nearest noun small business

D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.----here them refers to the subject i.e small business.

E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.


between c and d
i will go with D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 05:37
Ans E because in the others ans they or them can refer to small businesses or formulas
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jan 2013, 05:37

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.