It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 400 on practice CAT to 720 on GMAT - Is it possible?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

WE: Business Development (Retail)
From 400 on practice CAT to 720 on GMAT - Is it possible? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 10:05
Hi,

Since long I had been thinking of giving GMAT to boost my career prospects and after lot of thinking and associated procrastination I have decided its time to take the plunge.
So i downloaded the Preptest tool from GMAC and gave the test. I managed to score only 400 on it with Q 23 and V 22.
While I have not touched any kind of study material in last 7 years and I believe this can't be a valid excuse for such an abysmal score.

I went over the solutions and realized, in quant many of my errors were final calculation errors (trying to solve faster than ever needed), few were concept errors and most verbal errors had to do with SC.

I have borrowed OG 13, MGMAT maths set and plan to buy a MGMAT SC book.
I also plan to get a Magoosh subscription as well to aid in my prep.

I have not set an exam date but tentatively, I plan to give it by 15th June, 17 which will give me 3 months to prepare.

Since getting into my target B-school will need a 700+ score on GMAT, the score I got is making me think if i am cut out for GMAT (read: self doubt) and will I be able to bridge a 300+ point gap with the time and resources I have? If not what do I need to do?

Magoosh Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 547

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member
Re: From 400 on practice CAT to 720 on GMAT - Is it possible? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 10:33
Grspn17 wrote:
Hi,

Since long I had been thinking of giving GMAT to boost my career prospects and after lot of thinking and associated procrastination I have decided its time to take the plunge.
So i downloaded the Preptest tool from GMAC and gave the test. I managed to score only 400 on it with Q 23 and V 22.
While I have not touched any kind of study material in last 7 years and I believe this can't be a valid excuse for such an abysmal score.

I went over the solutions and realized, in quant many of my errors were final calculation errors (trying to solve faster than ever needed), few were concept errors and most verbal errors had to do with SC.

I have not set an exam date but tentatively, I plan to give it by 15th June, 17 which will give me 3 months to prepare.

Since getting into my target B-school will need a 700+ score on GMAT, the score I got is making me think if i am cut out for GMAT (read: self doubt) and will I be able to bridge a 300+ point gap with the time and resources I have? If not what do I need to do?

Yes it is possible, just keep on handwork and determination until you succeed ....Good Luck :)

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 547

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1071 [1], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Grspn17 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Grspn17 ,
Raising your score from 400 to 700+ will require a herculean effort, but it is not impossible .It will take more than 3 months to improve by more than 300 points .
You should start from basics in Quant and Verbal . Also you should set yourself realistic and gradual goals for improvement - Try to reach 600 , then focus on late 600s and then 700+.

- For Quant - Manhattan or Veritas prep guides are good . Also you can follow Bunuel and solve questions in his signature .
- Verbal - eGMAT on demand or live course
SC - Manhattan SC or e-GMAT course
CR - Powerscore Bible
RC - Manhattan , Veritas or e-GMAT strategy
- GMAT Prep question pack 1
- GMAT Club tests are fantastic for quant practice .
- Also buy GMAT Prep exam pack 1 and 2 .

Hope this helps!!

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1071 [1], given: 90

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29415 [0], given: 5348

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 10:57
Just as a point of reference, while it is possible, it is a big undertaking to get 320 points of improvement.

It has been done but I can only think of 20 people on gmat club who have done this type of thing.

I hope you will be #21
BB

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29415 [0], given: 5348

Sloan MIT Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Darden '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Premium Member Reviews Badge
From 400 on practice CAT to 720 on GMAT - Is it possible? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 01:44
Hi Grspn17,

It's not impossible.
I started with a 450 practice CAT score a few years ago and end up with a 700 in the actual test. (A little lower than your target score)

However, to achieve that kind of improvement in 3 months would require huge efforts.
Looking at your score break down, I'd recommend that you to start reviewing basics in Quant before tackling GMAT questions.
Manhattan's Foundations of GMAT Math is a good place to start.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
V

Kudos [?]: 354 [1], given: 31

WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Grspn17,

90 days is a good enough time to improve your score. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal in verbal. I believe you may benefit from taking an additional course in both quant and verbal. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. Further I see you are a new member here at GMATCLUB and when you sign up at GMATCLUB you get a free 3 days access to EMPOWERgmat course. You can also try out the trail version of Magoosh which will give you a week's access to their course.

Also I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives and they are both within your budget. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

Further have a look at MGMAT guides they are phenomenal especially for quant. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 354 [1], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 202

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 07:23
yes it is possible just stay focus and don't give up.

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 202

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 10:09
Since my last post with everyone following things have happened.

1. I did not study seriously till about end of July, 17. I would study for a week and then take a break for 2 weeks. By the time I would come back I would have forgotten what i had learnt 2 weeks ago.
2. I decided it was time to study seriously, and from 1st of Aug, I started studying every day for about 2-3 hours.

So over the last 6 weeks of my serious studying (Its been 7.5 weeks but I broke my foot and had to take a 10 day break) I have taken 2 MGMAT tests and scored 590 on each.

I took time to review my mistakes and realized the following.

1. I tense up during the tests.
600 level Quant problems for which I take 3:45 mins on average on the tests, I can solve in less than 1:20 mins when I am not under any pressure and because I am not able to go beyond 600 level problems I am unable see 700 level problems on MGMAT tests (I am unsure if MGMAT tests mimic the actual test). I believe this will go as I as practice more.

2. I fail miserably on CR and completely on quant.

I have noticed where I lose points

1. Quant

DS (avg. difficulty of correct answer- 580 and of incorrect answer - 650) and
PS (avg diff. correct 560 and incorrect 610)

Weak topics - Ratios, Statistics, Consecutive integers, Algebra

2. Verbal

CR (avg diff. correct 600 and incorrect 680)
RC (avg diff. correct 680 and incorrect 730) and
SC (avg diff. correct 660 and incorrect 700)

Weak Areas
RC - Inference, Main Idea
CR - Strengthen, Weaken, Draw conclusion, Find assumption (basically everything)

I use Magoosh premium subscription for online studies and OG for regular studies, Princeton review (cracking the GMAT) and MGMAT quant guides for basics.

When i read all the debriefs and see the kind of prep material others are using, I feel the course material I am using will be insufficient to get me to my target score.

Should I still follow the course material mentioned by "Skywalker18" or something else to improve on my score considering my specific weaknesses?
While its a bit embarrassing to admit but 'e-gmat verbal online' is slightly out of my budget, so any other alternative would be highly appreciated.

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 17:57
Grspn17 wrote:
Since my last post with everyone following things have happened.

1. I did not study seriously till about end of July, 17. I would study for a week and then take a break for 2 weeks. By the time I would come back I would have forgotten what i had learnt 2 weeks ago.
2. I decided it was time to study seriously, and from 1st of Aug, I started studying every day for about 2-3 hours.

So over the last 6 weeks of my serious studying (Its been 7.5 weeks but I broke my foot and had to take a 10 day break) I have taken 2 MGMAT tests and scored 590 on each.

I took time to review my mistakes and realized the following.

1. I tense up during the tests.
600 level Quant problems for which I take 3:45 mins on average on the tests, I can solve in less than 1:20 mins when I am not under any pressure and because I am not able to go beyond 600 level problems I am unable see 700 level problems on MGMAT tests (I am unsure if MGMAT tests mimic the actual test). I believe this will go as I as practice more.

2. I fail miserably on CR and completely on quant.

I have noticed where I lose points

1. Quant

DS (avg. difficulty of correct answer- 580 and of incorrect answer - 650) and
PS (avg diff. correct 560 and incorrect 610)

Weak topics - Ratios, Statistics, Consecutive integers, Algebra

2. Verbal

CR (avg diff. correct 600 and incorrect 680)
RC (avg diff. correct 680 and incorrect 730) and
SC (avg diff. correct 660 and incorrect 700)

Weak Areas
RC - Inference, Main Idea
CR - Strengthen, Weaken, Draw conclusion, Find assumption (basically everything)

I use Magoosh premium subscription for online studies and OG for regular studies, Princeton review (cracking the GMAT) and MGMAT quant guides for basics.

When i read all the debriefs and see the kind of prep material others are using, I feel the course material I am using will be insufficient to get me to my target score.

Should I still follow the course material mentioned by "Skywalker18" or something else to improve on my score considering my specific weaknesses?
While its a bit embarrassing to admit but 'e-gmat verbal online' is slightly out of my budget, so any other alternative would be highly appreciated.
When are you taking the GMAT? Also, try to list down all the material you have and indicate how much of it you've done.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 19:45
Hello Ajitesh,

I plan to take GMAT in the second week of Nov, 17 depending on the kind of score i get in my mock tests.

I have below material

1. Magoosh
Video Lessons remaining
Quant - Co-ordinate Geometry, Statistics, Counting and Probability
Verbal - 70% of SC, and complete RC and CR

Problems solved
Quant - 211/663 (32%)
Verbal - 185/553 (33%)

OG - Quant
PS - 112/230 (49%)
DS - 96/174 (55%)

OG - Verbal
RC - 15/26 (58%)
CR - 64/124 (52%)
SC - 64/140 (46%)

Princeton
Finished SC chapter.
Plan to finish DS, CR and RC chapters by end of this week

MGMAT Quant guides
Finished first 4.

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 09:09
If I remember correctly, by GMAC's statistical analysis, it is "easier" to increase your score from a "low" one than to an "average/mid" one...
It is definitely possible but will take a lot of effort and time.
I, for example, improved my score by 100 points...

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 09:22
That’s true. Even I am not too elated by the improvement in score as it’s still at an average level. Until I get into high 600s or low 700s an improvement of 190 is a token improvement.

But the good thing is I have identified my weak areas and I hope by focusing on them I can reach my target score.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

VP
VP
D

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 23:57
Grspn17 wrote:
Hello Ajitesh,

I plan to take GMAT in the second week of Nov, 17 depending on the kind of score i get in my mock tests.

I have below material

1. Magoosh
Video Lessons remaining
Quant - Co-ordinate Geometry, Statistics, Counting and Probability
Verbal - 70% of SC, and complete RC and CR

Problems solved
Quant - 211/663 (32%)
Verbal - 185/553 (33%)

OG - Quant
PS - 112/230 (49%)
DS - 96/174 (55%)

OG - Verbal
RC - 15/26 (58%)
CR - 64/124 (52%)
SC - 64/140 (46%)

Princeton
Finished SC chapter.
Plan to finish DS, CR and RC chapters by end of this week

MGMAT Quant guides
Finished first 4.
I don't think that Cracking the GMAT book is going to be of much help, but the rest of your material is fine. Take additional material for theory only if you really feel the need for it. Do try to get more official material though, especially the exam packs.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Re: From 400 on practice CAT to 720 on GMAT - Is it possible?   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2017, 23:57

From 400 on practice CAT to 720 on GMAT - Is it possible?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap